Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Annabella1

blue note wrote: »
    It's not on Saturday nights.

Rerun !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

Another bad night at the office for Waterford. Sweepers or no sweepers, to concede 2-30 tonight is simply unacceptable at this level. As a Clare fan, I hope that Waterford return to their best as you have great supporters and are a bit like ourselves in that you have a county board that is unfit for purpose and well past its sell by date. Serious changes need to take place at the top i.e the county board executive, if Waterford are to compete with the likes of Cork, Tipp, Limerick etc.

On a separate note, I fancy the Deise footballers to have a real crack at Westmeath tomorrow. Don't be surprised to see Benji Whelan's outfit come out on top in the 1st round All-Ireland football qualifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭SW1985

We were competitive in this fixture last year despite an injury crisis. Now we cant get within 10 points of anyone. Fanning has been a complete disaster.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

SW1985 wrote:
    We were competitive in this fixture last year despite an injury crisis. Now we cant get within 10 points of anyone. Fanning has been a complete disaster.

Fanning needs to get out soon as possible. New team tonight , same inept setup and tactics . Players tried hard but it was like a training game most of it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

The 2 Bennetts showed plenty of fight and but for them, it would have been a living nightmare ; thought Callum Lyons enhanced his reputation ; Barron & Tadgh mixed the good with the bad. Otherwise, not much to be taken from the match.

I guess that's it until 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

The 2 Bennetts showed plenty of fight and but for them, it would have been a living nightmare ; thought Callum Lyons enhanced his reputation ; Barron & Tadgh mixed the good with the bad. Otherwise, not much to be taken from the match.

I guess that's it until 2020.

They put up a fight & made it a contest for 45 mins. That was more than could be said for last week.
    Probably need to settle on the strongest possible back 6 that will be there for the next half a dozen years & build from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dboss

Right lads its time to hand over the reins to Sean Power, Tom Murphy & Eamon Keane maybe Martin Cullen as the secretary their the men that actuallly run the the senior hurling team. They'll be well supported by the Waterford senior hurling training fund (club Deise) !!! If their views are'nt taking on board we will have another disaster year next year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Cork fan here. Thought some of yer younger fellas tried to be fair, but the attitude of Gleeson when he came on summed up the Waterford team for me. Looked like he’d rather be at home. Something seriously wrong there. Love a good Waterford battle, so I’m hoping yer back up there next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

In fairness the players tried hard, which has me more concerned than after the Limerick game considering it was a 13 point defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭spideyman92

Could see Fanning stay on with the county board justifying it with the league campaign and using the old "everything that could go wrong did" excuse for the championship. I think Waterford support will dwindle further next season if he does stay though. People weren't convinced by his appointment before the season started and there can't be anyone that's had their mind changed in a positive way now that it's ended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Annabella1 wrote: »
    Love Island on..

Speaking of love island, will Derek the charmer be stepping back in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭deisedude

I was there tonight. The players tried but they were on a hiding to nothing with the setup. Can someone tell me what the game plan was because I couldn't see any plan there tonight. It's bad enough we don't have any ball winners up front but the movement and interplay between our forwards was junior b stuff

If Fanning is still there next year I won't be going to a game simple as that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Could see Fanning stay on with the county board justifying it with the league campaign and using the old "everything that could go wrong did" excuse for the championship. I think Waterford support will dwindle further next season if he does stay though. People weren't convinced by his appointment before the season started and there can't be anyone that's had their mind changed in a positive way now that it's ended.

I would be worried about the co boards track record of being slow to move managers on when it’s not working.

I was quite harsh in my assessment of Paraic in a previous post, but I do hope he sees the light himself and steps aside. Now is not a time to be stubborn, there’s no dishonour in admitting it didn’t work out. Paraic is from a family with a history steeped in Waterford GAA and would have the best interests of the county at heart, for that reason I beleive he will go.

I would be worried about the co boards track record of being slow to move managers on when it’s not working.

I was quite harsh in my assessment of Paraic in a previous post, but I do hope he sees the light himself and steps aside. Now is not a time to be stubborn, there’s no dishonour in admitting it didn’t work out. Paraic is from a family with a history steeped in Waterford GAA and would have the best interests of the county at heart, for that reason I beleive he will go.

In fairness to Pauiric, he tried to get us playing a more open style in the league and it appeared to be going well. After the league final, I think he started to second guess himself and when the players started to lose confidence he didnt know how to get it back. He's been let down badly by the players aswell. I see no option but for him to walk away. He has to live and work in Waterford aswell and the negativity will be relentless.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

I feel sorry for him. He is out of his depth unfortunately and no doubt he will be hurting more than most tonight. Pauric’s a sound guy and a proper GAA man. It’s a pity because I genuinely wanted to see him doing well but some things just aren’t meant to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

No need to worry, he isn’t going anywhere. Fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭corks finest

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Cork fan here. Thought some of yer younger fellas tried to be fair, but the attitude of Gleeson when he came on summed up the Waterford team for me. Looked like he’d rather be at home. Something seriously wrong there. Love a good Waterford battle, so I’m hoping yer back up there next year.
    About sums it up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭corks finest

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    About sums it up
    TBF there's not a team in the country bar kk who haven't been in Waterfords shoes, dig in lads good times always come back

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dont Stop

Fanning, in fairness has blooded some much needed players this year. Hes getting rid of so called bad influences. So fair play to him. We have to move on.

However it doesnt mask the fact that our game plan lacks quality on all fronts.His backroom lack experience too. A shame he didnt have more help from a rich pool of possible selectors and coaches.

Tonight has shown we have players who want to play, at least.. ..will it be under Fanning? Time will tell.

In fairness to Pauiric, he tried to get us playing a more open style in the league and it appeared to be going well. After the league final, I think he started to second guess himself and when the players started to lose confidence he didnt know how to get it back. He's been let down badly by the players aswell. I see no option but for him to walk away. He has to live and work in Waterford aswell and the negativity will be relentless.

The players are far from blameless, but Fanning has obviously lost the dressing room (debatable whether he ever had it) and once that happens it’s impossible to get it back again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Spatters

No need to worry, he isn’t going anywhere. Fast.

Ah Jaysus you’re back! Did yee meet up for that coffee?
    Much improved Waterford tonight on scoreboard although we conceded 2-30. Players had a go, the younger lads showed fight but im afraid it’s the same lads who never showed. Why he put Gleeson on, I’ll never know.. didn’t try an inch and looking at barrons body language- devil may care attitude. Should be ashamed of themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Dont Stop wrote: »
    Fanning, in fairness has blooded some much needed players this year. Hes getting rid of so called bad influences. So fair play to him. We have to move on.

However it doesnt mask the fact that our game plan lacks quality on all fronts.His backroom lack experience too. A shame he didnt have more help from a rich pool of possible selectors and coaches.

Tonight has shown we have players who want to play, at least.. ..will it be under Fanning? Time will tell.
    Clean out the bad apples out of the barrel. Add more experience to the backroom team and give him another year. After all his predecessor was in the same mess and he got 5 years!
    Connors Moran Brick O Halloran Dunford Darragh Fives all out. Credit to him for giving Prendergast Prunty and Callum Lyons their opportunity this year and great to see them progress. Fresh faces are needed in the squad, ones that want to play for Waterford and not just for a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Spatters wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus you’re back! Did yee meet up for that coffee?
    Much improved Waterford tonight on scoreboard although we conceded 2-30. Players had a go, the younger lads showed fight but im afraid it’s the same lads who never showed. Why he put Gleeson on, I’ll never know.. didn’t try an inch and looking at barrons body language- devil may care attitude. Should be ashamed of themselves

Henry Shelflin lined up for next season by all accounts.......big clean out in cards also especially the old guard such as Moran, ml Walsh, Barron both 5’s, gleeson, Barron,SoK, Bennett’s

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Just home and initial thoughts are similar to others. Happy that we tried a lot harder and 2-17 is a good score. Shame about the 2-30. Looking at Cork's scorers, they had a really good spread. According to a match report I just checked, Cork had 12 players scoring compared to our 7.
    I thought Calum Lyons and Jack Prendergast were our best players and great to see Shane Bennett get some form back too. I'd actually nearly go as far as saying Jack Prendergast has been our player of the year from league and championship.
    Billy made some good stops too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Spatters

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Henry Shelflin lined up for next season by all accounts.......big clean out in cards also especially the old guard such as Moran, ml Walsh, Barron both 5’s, gleeson, Barron,SoK, Bennett’s

Ha ha...
    they’ll be no one left!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Henry Shelflin lined up for next season by all accounts.......

Is there any substance to this rumour at all as it's the second mention of it in this thread. Surprising if a manager was lined up that quickly so that makes me doubt it but can't say I wouldn't be happy if it were true.

Shefflin would be a coup, if a man who has won 10 All Ireland medals couldn't inspire this lot then no one can. I've a feeling he wouldnt take it on if offered tho, he will see the state we are in and would reckon he would blow his chance of ever getting the KK job if it goes wrong. But maybe I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dont Stop

Surprising to see Barron start. Overall mid field were a bit lost. Thought Roche and Bennett would have started there.
    Gleeson was a sruprise coming in. The way he strolled on was far from the style of a hungry player who had been dropped and had something to prove...Nice sideline though!
    Maybe he got a run because from all the dropped crew he may be the only one we see again in a Waterford jersey...A young man, still!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dammo

Why would you get rid of the Bennetts?

• Advertisement

Shefflin would be a coup, if a man who has won 10 All Ireland medals couldn't inspire this lot then no one can. I've a feeling he wouldnt take it on if offered tho, he will see the state we are in and would reckon he would blow his chance of ever getting the KK job if it goes wrong. But maybe I'm wrong

I reckon it would be a win win for any manager. Think about it, the only way is up after this year, and there is still some very talented hurlers in that group. Shefflin himself works in Waterford and has family ties with the city and went to college here.

The only thing for Shefflin is that he is such a staunch Kilkenny man he might never want to manage against his own.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement