Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭conor05

Is it the same format this year as other years fkr Senior HC county final day.

Minor A first followed by Senior final in Nowlan Park?

Has a date been fixed yet for the final?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

dubcat51 wrote: »
    I was at the dublin intermediate semis on saturday.first game between st marks and scoil ui chonnail was a draw.scoil should win replay threw it away.cuala won other semi and will beat marks or scoil easy in my opinion.would fancy kk winners to beat cuala.15 was there best player and deadly from.frees.

Its cuala's second team so they can't compete in leinster.
    As far as I know the winners between marks and scoil ui chonaill will have to play off against the senior b winners (faughs or plunketts) to see who gets to compete in the leinster intermediate club championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Village87

conor05 wrote: »
    Is it the same format this year as other years fkr Senior HC county final day.

Minor A first followed by Senior final in Nowlan Park?

Has a date been fixed yet for the final?

I dont think so.

As far as i know the Intermediate Final and senior final will be a double header.

Cant see past Ballyhale and Tullaroan winning there respective competitions. Tullaroan would beat 8/9 senior teams . Very impressive yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Truth be told1974

Village87 wrote: »

Tullaroan would beat 8/9 senior teams . Very impressive yesterday

Do Tullaroan really deserve their reputation as Intermediate favourites, they have not really 'passed' any of the tests when they had to, always seems to be some other team that little bit better or are there talented young players now starting to mature?

2018 League Final v John Lockes, lost by 1 x point
    2017 C'ship semi-final v St. Patrick's lost by 2 x points
    2017 League Final v Thomastown, lost by 2 x points
    2016 C'ship semi-final v Carrickshock, lost by 1 x point
    2015 League Final v Bennettsbridge, lost by 5 x points

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Senior and minor final are the 28th according to the matter fixture list at the start of the year. Intermediate final is the 21st. Means only a week between the Ballyhale semi final and the county final and potentially 4 games in 4 weeks for Comer (lol) / Village to win a County final.

• Advertisement

Senior and minor final are the 28th according to the matter fixture list at the start of the year. Intermediate final is the 21st. Means only a week between the Ballyhale semi final and the county final and potentially 4 games in 4 weeks for Comer (lol) / Village to win a County final.

Should push the senior back a week as the first round of leinster for kk team in 18th November. Intermediate wont be the 21st anyway. That would mean QF, SF and final played in 3 straight weeks, and hoping there is no draws. Intermediate will be on the bank holiday id imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Neewollah

I dont think so.

As far as i know the Intermediate Final and senior final will be a double header.

Cant see past Ballyhale and Tullaroan winning there respective competitions. Tullaroan would beat 8/9 senior teams . Very impressive yesterday

While Tullaroan are a good side and deservedly favourites for the intermediate I don't think you can say that they would beat 8 or 9 of the current senior teams. I think if they went up they would be just above the weaker teams but i think they would struggle to get past a quarter final. They have an excellent core of hurlers but lack a bit of squad depth.

There's about 8 teams between senior and intermediate that are all at the same level

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

This weekend is already Comers 4th weekend in a row. Carrickshock x 2 and Village x 2. A county final appearance, albeit unlikely, would mean they would be playing 6 weekends in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭brookville

Just wondering if the county intermediate and senior final goes ahead on the bank holiday and i think the trip to Australia is around early november would the lads involved with their clubs be able go?
    also i know alot has to happen but if the two favourites for intermediate and senior tullaron and the shamrocks were to win their finals and go on a good run with their clubs we'd be down alot of bodies for the early stages next year although itd be great to try blood a new full back and a few more players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Any word on backroom team with Cody yet or same again?

Following a C/B meeting tonight Brian Cody has been confirmed as the Kilkenny Snr Hurling Manager for 2019.Derek Lyng & James McGarry will continue as selectors and Michael Dempsey will continue as trainer.The board wishes Brian and his mgmt team every success in the year ahead.

Bit mad that you ask that and 3 minutes later this goes up in the KKGAA twitter

minty81 wrote: »
    Any word on backroom team with Cody yet or same again?
    had heard a few weeks ago no change to the backroom although a fresh face or two in would of being a welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭blackcard

Saw Cody and McGarry at the junior semi-finals yesterday.

blackcard wrote: »
    heard katey powers brother hurled well for piltown did he?noel hickey will probably be missing for the final.

brookville wrote: »
    heard katey powers brother hurled well for piltown did he?noel hickey will probably be missing for the final.

What happened Hickey?

Neewollah wrote: »

What happened Hickey?
    think he pulled his hamstring just heard an interview with tom who said he'll more than likely miss it.michael cody will probably go back to full back

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Following a C/B meeting tonight Brian Cody has been confirmed as the Kilkenny Snr Hurling Manager for 2019.Derek Lyng & James McGarry will continue as selectors and Michael Dempsey will continue as trainer.The board wishes Brian and his mgmt team every success in the year ahead.

Bit mad that you ask that and 3 minutes later this goes up in the KKGAA twitter

Had heard he'd be ratified tonight, was just hoping he'd get a new face in with him

blackcard wrote: »
    Martin Power scored 2-2 with Cian Kinsella getting 2-1. Both very impressive running at defenders and took their goals well. Noel Hickey was playing very well before he pulled up with a leg injury.

Interesting weekend in store with semi's and relegations taking place of the 2 top grades in Kilkenny. Looking forward to some good games and be interesting to see other peoples views on how they see the games panning out.

Senior:

Village v Comer - Village really got out of jail the last day. Ballyraggett is a tight field and will suit Comer again but can't see the Village being as poor. Village by 3

Carrickshock v Danesfort - What most would have predicted as the relegation final at the start of the year has materialised. Carrickshock have been poor all year but should have beaten Comer after being in 2 great situations. Danesfort had a great win over the Bridge but failed to build on it. I think the referee choice will have a bearing on this and may suit Danesfort as he tends to be whistle happy. Danesfort to edge it by 2.

Bennettsbridge v Clara - I'm finding this one very difficult to call. Bennettsbridge have been hot and cold all year. Clara have had a shocker of a year through injuries and fighting amongst themselves but seem to be turning a corner and should have a few more back for Sunday. I think Clara are in a great position and confidence will be high. Fancy them to turn the bridge over with their experience. Clara by 4

Intermediate:

Mooncoin v Young Irelands - Mooncoin have had such a poor year. Just can't seem to progress at intermediate level where Gowran often promise loads and then seem to fall apart. Things seem to be going wrong at the worst possible time and can see Mooncoin really putting them under pressure but a few better quality forwards should see Gowran over the line - Young Irelands by 3

Graigue/Ballycallan v Tullogher - I think this has the potential to be the game of the weekend. A lot is expected of GBC and Tullogher will relish being the underdogs. Tullogher are better than most expect but I think the referee will have a bearing on this game too and will suit GBC and their style and scupper any Tullogher attempts to slow them down. Think GBC will win a hard fought game after a few scares. GBC by 4

Tullaroan v St Lachtains - Tullaroan have an expceptional spine of hurlers and an unbelievable spirit amongst the team. Rejuvinated freshford will give them a good game with some dangerous forwards. Can cause some problems with the right ball. I think Tullaroan will see them off though. Tullaroan by 6.

• Advertisement

Neewollah wrote: »
    Interesting weekend in store with semi's and relegations taking place of the 2 top grades in Kilkenny. Looking forward to some good games and be interesting to see other peoples views on how they see the games panning out.

Senior:

Village v Comer - Village really got out of jail the last day. Ballyraggett is a tight field and will suit Comer again but can't see the Village being as poor. Village by 3

Carrickshock v Danesfort - What most would have predicted as the relegation final at the start of the year has materialised. Carrickshock have been poor all year but should have beaten Comer after being in 2 great situations. Danesfort had a great win over the Bridge but failed to build on it. I think the referee choice will have a bearing on this and may suit Danesfort as he tends to be whistle happy. Danesfort to edge it by 2.

Bennettsbridge v Clara - I'm finding this one very difficult to call. Bennettsbridge have been hot and cold all year. Clara have had a shocker of a year through injuries and fighting amongst themselves but seem to be turning a corner and should have a few more back for Sunday. I think Clara are in a great position and confidence will be high. Fancy them to turn the bridge over with their experience. Clara by 4

Intermediate:

Mooncoin v Young Irelands - Mooncoin have had such a poor year. Just can't seem to progress at intermediate level where Gowran often promise loads and then seem to fall apart. Things seem to be going wrong at the worst possible time and can see Mooncoin really putting them under pressure but a few better quality forwards should see Gowran over the line - Young Irelands by 3

Graigue/Ballycallan v Tullogher - I think this has the potential to be the game of the weekend. A lot is expected of GBC and Tullogher will relish being the underdogs. Tullogher are better than most expect but I think the referee will have a bearing on this game too and will suit GBC and their style and scupper any Tullogher attempts to slow them down. Think GBC will win a hard fought game after a few scares. GBC by 4

Tullaroan v St Lachtains - Tullaroan have an expceptional spine of hurlers and an unbelievable spirit amongst the team. Rejuvinated freshford will give them a good game with some dangerous forwards. Can cause some problems with the right ball. I think Tullaroan will see them off though. Tullaroan by 6.

Less said about the village last day the better, Awful match and standard was very low.

GBC v Tullogher- You must be a Ballycallan man if you are trying to influence the Referee already. I dont see why a referee should be bias towards one club over another especially going into a Championship semi final and relying on him to give frees to get you through.

The 2 relegation and Senior semi final very close. Tullaroan will win

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

Less said about the village last day the better, Awful match and standard was very low.

GBC v Tullogher- You must be a Ballycallan man if you are trying to influence the Referee already. I dont see why a referee should be bias towards one club over another especially going into a Championship semi final and relying on him to give frees to get you through.

Both Tullogher and Freshford play sweepers so this is likely to take from both intermediate semi finals as spectacles. Games with sweepers are usually difficult to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

And a team with a sweeper rarely if ever wins a competition outright

suirway wrote: »
    Both Tullogher and Freshford play sweepers so this is likely to take from both intermediate semi finals as spectacles. Games with sweepers are usually difficult to watch.

Any team with a sweeper does not win a competition. i have watched a lotof the Intermediate this year and it has been excellent entertainment so far. I have seen Tullogher 3 times this year, and they have not played with a sweeper, they might have done so against Fenians as Fenians played that tactic all year.

I have seen Tullaroan 4 times this year and old Tommy plays more or less as a sweeper when lining out midfield he does all his hurling in the backs. GBC half forward line play in there half back line. I think all the teams left in Intermediate play a hard working game up and down the field, and not necessarily out and out sweeper. Havnt seen Feeshford much but all the teams left are hitting over 20 points a game

Its similar argument to the debate other counties have that Kilkenny created the negative style of hurling by having the 2 midfielders sit in the half back line and the half forward work hard and pick up the middle sector

Not trying to influence ref at all. What I meant was that Sean Cleeres style of reffing should suit GBC more as they have an excellent free taker in Murphy. Tullogher I expect would rather a ref who would let the game flow a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

suirway wrote: »

Certainly are hard to watch anybody that was in Urlingford last Saturday evening would tell you that. Freshford are in two semi finals this weekend minor, intermediate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Certainly are hard to watch anybody that was in Urlingford last Saturday evening would tell you that. Freshford are in two semi finals this weekend minor, intermediate.

I suppose teams that do it do it for a reason because they have a weakness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭mrbango

Joe Daly wrote:
    I suppose teams that do it do it for a reason because they have a weakness.

Kennedy is an old style center back who reads and chases every ball rather than man mark. Teams know how to play against that. Pass everything through center forward. So to counteract that they play someone on the center forward and play a sweeper. Its important to do when you have a dominant center back who is needed to help out all other backs if they are not as strong. My point is that it is covering up a weakness if you look at it that way. Another way is to say you are playing to your strenghts!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 swengall

Senior:

Village v Comer - Village should get the job done this time around, it will be another battle but I think Comer had there chance.

Carrickshock v Danesfort - this will be a war of attrition as most relegation finals are. If Danesfort can open up the play and fine space for Richie Hogan then i think they can win. On the other hand, if Carrickshock make it very physical, limit the space etc then the celebrations could be in Hugginstown. The weather could be a telling factor!

Bennettsbridge v Clara - I think Clara might handle the day better, and fancy them to progress where Clara's better options from the bench could be crucial.

Intermediate:

Mooncoin v Young Irelands - Gowran are unlucky to be where they are, but they are now. They should win, but i remember a few years back YI put Mooncoin down junior after a replay and Gowran a little fortunate to draw the first day. I think this game will be closer than expected!

Graigue/Ballycallan v Tullogher - Tullogher to reverse league result, if their full back line copes ok.

Tullaroan v St Lachtains - Tullaroan to make it 3rd time lucky in intermediate semi's. They should have too much class and pace for an improved and organised Freshford.

• Advertisement

11th May 2019 KK v Dub
    18th May Carlow v KK
    9th June KK v Galway
    16th June Wex v KK
    Win our home games and match v Carlow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement