Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭brookville

all teams should be more familar with the set up next year and we could see less and less value in the league.I think the league was a help for our young team this year and we improved as the year went on and lads becane more familar playing together.lads like james maher improved game after game and unlike previous years there wont be many retirements,the average age isnt to bad.Trying to unearth a few scoring fowards will be key and having kevin kelly back will be a new player.Its also a help having galway and dublin at home

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

They might have to tweak the championship games a little bit i.e. have an extra couple of weeks i.e. not let teams miss first week, then play four weeks in a row.

As for league, it may be become a Walsh Cup type of competition in a few years - trying new players and positions etc. to get ready for the championship league section. Either way, it should be used to see what lads can do and sharpen up the skills of a team playing together.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Truth be told1974

Village v Comer -

It very hard to get the mind to believe that 'Comer can complete the job here, the Village cannot be as bad again (surely). Village by 5 / 6 x points

Carrickshock v Danesfort -

I think that Danesfort are the only team that could save C'shock from the drop as Danesfort have barely rose above 'average' this year, 15 x mins v Clara showed what they can do but they don't seem to know themselves what player will flop or hurl on any given day, if they hurl at all, they will say up. Danesfort by 4

Mooncoin v Young Irelands -

Gowran are probably shocked to be in this position, Mooncoin probably expected to be, so will Gowran shake of the shock and hurl, I have my doubts but Young Ireland's by 2 / 3 x points.

Graigue/Ballycallan v Tullogher -

Tullogher have shuffled along nicely, overcoming injury and exceeding expectations, they got to the Final two years ago but didn't look like they believed they should be there, GBC are solid, the favourities and setup for a fall here if they don't get on top quickly. GBC by 3 x points.

Tullaroan v St Lachtains -

Tullaroan need to silence the doubters (internally & externally), I think they will, Tullaroan by 6 x points.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

They might have to tweak the championship games a little bit i.e. have an extra couple of weeks i.e. not let teams miss first week, then play four weeks in a row.

The Leinster Council have tweaked the Leinster Championship. No team plays more than two weeks in a row

im looking foward to the few matches this weekend hopefully the weather wont be to bad but free takers will be important in these conditions.
    as said above most lads going for the village but comer have a good record against them and probably not getting enough credit.
    clara v the bridge is hard to call jason cleere will be a help but the bridge can blow hot n cold.They have 4 lads on the county panel so it shouldnt be a suprise to see them at this stage.Clara are expected to have a few of their injured lads togging out and while they arent as good as they were they've plenty of experience and a good spine to their team.id probably give the slight vote to the bridge.
    cshock v dfort another hard one to call ive seen cshock a few times this year and theyve being very poor at times and i seen dfort against the bridge and clara and going on them two matches id lean towards dfort.
    gowran v mooncoin.gowran probably unlucky to be in this situation after a good league but a few injuries and a change to a selector isnt ideal.Mooncoin have struggled for a while now but this is a once off match anything could happen.Gowran very reliant on paul holden and if his held they could struggle but i still think they should get over the line.
    freshford v tullaron.freshford in bonus territory but they have a few fowards that can cause trouble hickey and shane donnelly while brian kennedy is hurling smartly as a sweeper.tullaron should have their homework done and should have enough to beat an organised freshford side
    finally gbc v tullogher i like what someone else said this coukd be the match of the weekend.Both teams have being knocking around on county final day the last couple of years.This kind of weather would suit tullogher and they have 3 very good fowards in hennessy,wally and cian o donohue while gbc have eddie up front pulling the strings and billy ryan is also having a very good season they also have some good young talent despite missing colum penderville.I think this one might be an upset and id give tullogher a good chance in this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Comerman

brookville wrote: »
    comer not getting enough credit.
    Dead right Brookville, everyone said the village would win last week by 8/9 points and then during the week it was how poor they were, was it really a case of how good Comer are? They never gave up and fought for everything and kept the key players quiet. We need a few forwards but the backs were outstanding in both games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Comerman

comer not getting enough credit.
    Dead right Brookville, everyone said the village would win last week by 8/9 points and then during the week it was how poor they were, was it really a case of how good Comer are? They never gave up and fought for everything and kept the key players quiet. We need a few forwards but the backs were outstanding in both games.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Comer deserved winners today, a wonderful defensive unit and a brilliant attitude and work rate in both matches. Village shocking in both matches.

Might as well put the trophy in the cabinet down in Ballyhale.

Graigue Ballycallan 0-14 Tullogher 0-11. Full Time.

Hopefully Tullaroan will win tomorrow and set up an interesting final.

BoroMan32 wrote: »

If even one percent of that attitude drips into Shamrocks thought process, they will find out very fast that trophies are not given out in a bookies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Comer deserved winners today, a wonderful defensive unit and a brilliant attitude and work rate in both matches. Village shocking in both matches.

Dont really agree go back 3 weeks ago many wouldn't have had clara beating o'loughlins and Comer beating the village. Many people wouldn't have put clara, Comer or the bridge in a semi final

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭dzer2

Garyp88 wrote: »
    Dont really agree go back 3 weeks ago many wouldn't have had clara beating o'loughlins and Comer beating the village. Many people wouldn't have put clara, Comer or the bridge in a semi final

Many on here know very little about hurling or other clubs ambitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭blackcard

Comer deserved their win as they were the better team over both matches. Stephens once again did not take their chances. On a number of occasions, they had a point for the taking but chose to pass to a colleague which was daft in the wet greasy conditions. Michael Murphy had another good game as did Conor Fogarty, Eoin Brennan and Conor Delaney. Carrickshock will be shaking their heads as they had Comer beaten twice.
    Graig Ballycallan got over the line against Tullogher with the latter hitting 16 wides and a couple of goal chances. I was impressed with Billy Ryan, hope he gets a chance with KK. Sean Ryan is a prospect too when he fills out in a couple of years. Shane Ryan fought well for Tullogher. Tullaroan still look like the team to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Neewollah

Fair play to Comer today. Really shown great battling qualities and belief the last couple of weeks. Could easily have been beaten by C/Shock in both games but dug their way out of it. With the pressure off against the village they really showed what they are capable of. Shamrocks will be favourites but Comer backs are capable of handling most sets of forwards and if they keep their high levels up they won't be far off them. Tough one for Shamrocks as they'll be expected to win and win well.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

Delighted to see G/Ballycallan win today. Tullogher set up with 7 at the back, 3 midfielders, 2 half forwards, 2 inside, shot a load of wides and lost. if they had gone 15 v 15 with Walter at 14 and Conor H and Cian O D either side of him they'd now be in the final. Why ? Because G/Ballycallan are so young.. Ronan, Flynn, E Egan, Roberts, A Brennan, Ryan by 2, K Egan all chaps (C Prenderville injured) and despite being in 2 finals in a row 2017/18 they are
    punching above their weight for the moment. G/B will get to senior and will win a senior championship again in my opinion over the coming years but Tullogher playing a sweeper has cost them.... It only gets you so far

i went into the gbc match yesterday evening to be honest i wasnt overly impressed with them.I know it was an awful for day for it and there was a load of water lying on the pitch in places but tullogher drove wide after wide and fluffed a few good goal chances although hoyne did make one great save from hennessy i think in the 2nd half.It was a hard day for free takers and gbc missed a few when theirs was substituted but the difference was gbc took their chances.Billy ryan was probavly the difference for them up front and i think eddie would be better used as an impact sub.
    gowran v mooncoin
    mooncoin set up with alan walsh as a sweeper and frustrated gowran and drove a few bad wides in the first half especially.sean carey got a good goal to seperate the teams at ht.mooncoin went back 15 v 15 in the 2nd half and it probably suited gowran.It was hard get a free at that match and the ref probably wont get a christmas card from ned quinn but he was shocking on both sides and definitely wasnt up to scrath.Gowran were better team and were very unlucky to be in that situation. Mooncoin have being struggling a while now at that grade

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Neewollah

Interesting to see that Bennettsbridge are the only team from the league/shield finals to make semis.

It's often been said over the years that these games are only a hindrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Village87

Delighted to see G/Ballycallan win today. Tullogher set up with 7 at the back, 3 midfielders, 2 half forwards, 2 inside, shot a load of wides and lost. if they had gone 15 v 15 with Walter at 14 and Conor H and Cian O D either side of him they'd now be in the final. Why ? Because G/Ballycallan are so young.. Ronan, Flynn, E Egan, Roberts, A Brennan, Ryan by 2, K Egan all chaps (C Prenderville injured) and despite being in 2 finals in a row 2017/18 they are
    punching above their weight for the moment. G/B will get to senior and will win a senior championship again in my opinion over the coming years but Tullogher playing a sweeper has cost them.... It only gets you so far

I was in for the last 10 mins of first for the remainder of the game.. GBC played with 3 forwards and 12 men behind the ball. Billy Ryan played a third midfielder for a lot of it.. tullogher were all over them and much the better team..

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

What date is intermediate final?

minty81 wrote: »
    What date is intermediate final?
    sunday week
    freshford put up a good show today and gave tullaron a bit of a scare ten mins from the ebd.liam hickeys missed penalty probably a turning point but tullaron are going into the final knowing they must improve its a good way to be going in.
    the bridge were the better team i thought sesn morrisey was very good while bolger was very good for clara and caused enda morrisey lots of trouble.jason very poor in the first half john murphy done very well but cleere done better at 6.blanch when moved to 11 and ran at o shea caused lots of bother.The four goals scored today were fortuitous but i think the bridge are better equipped going into the final.

• Advertisement

Tullaroan got over the line against Freshford but were nowhere near as impressive as against Thomastown. There was 4 points ahead with 10 minutes to go when Freshford were awarded a penalty which was hit wide by Liam Hockey and Tullaroan went on to win by 0-19 to 0-13. Shane Walsh scored 0-14 with 13 of these coming from frees. Mossy Keoghan was very quiet. Ger Luby, Tommy Walsh and Padraig Walsh at times were best for Tullaroan, Patrick Killeen did well for Freshford. Tullaroan will have to improve for the final

Bennettsbridge had a deserved win over Clara with a scoreline of 3-19 to 2-17. Clara led early with a booted goal after the ball landed near the square. Sean Morrissey flicked a high ball to the net for the Bridge which was followed by a Brian Lannon goal which should have been saved. Sean Morrissey hit a second goal after the ball rebounded off a post. John Murphy responded with a Clara goal. Chris Bolger was very good for Clara scoring 6 points with John Murphy scoring 1-2.
    Sean Morrissey scored 2-5 including 1 spectacular point while Liam Blanchfield did well when he went to centre forward. Robert Lennon did well while Enda Morrissey and Jason Cleere did well in the second half. Ballyhale will not be worried.
    Referee Richard Dowling must have lost his cards as there were a number of flashpoints where you wondered if he was going to hand out a yellow or red card only for him to take no action

Bridge and Clara was entertaining, but a mile short of the standard you'd expect from prospective county champions. Still, the Bridge won't care and it'll be a great occasion for them. Turning point was Bolger (who shot some terrific points) through on goal with 10 minutes left, had an easy pass out to a man in space but was greedy and didn't give the pass. If they'd goaled there I reckon they'd have gone on to win. Clara goalkeeper was woeful.

Tullaroan were poor, but that's no bad thing as it'll ease a little of the hype going into the final. If Freshford had scored the penalty who knows what might have happened. It was a big let off for Tullaroan, who started the game with great energy but became more and more disjointed as the game went on.

Would Shane Walsh be anywhere near the county panel over next couple of years?

won alot of frees today but alot of them wouldnt be given at county but i think his not to bad when given good ball into space

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Richard Dowling and his team umpires, linesmen must have leaving there glasses at home they saw nothing a lot of high tackling all he needed was a pair of wellingtons you could say here comes farmer pickles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

won alot of frees today but alot of them wouldnt be given at county but i think his not to bad when given good ball into space

He went down a few times to day very handy .

You'd think after Tommy and Pádraig, the pedigree is there alright!! May take a year or two though.

dzer2 wrote: »
    Many on here know very little about hurling or other clubs ambitions.

I'd imagine every club has ambition, pointless otherwise, but in the real world there are clubs that can compete for trophies and clubs that cannot.

I predicted James Stephens to win both day's and I was wrong both day's - as were the vast majority of people I'd say. The Village have appearances in finals at Minor Roinn A and U21 in last couple of years and Senior last year, they are the current League champions.

Where have Erin's Own found this form, they had been very poor in the League, got a result against Danesfort, rode their luck against Carrickshock (twice) and how now probably pulled off the biggest shock in Senior hurling for a decade. They deserve massive credit for that but there were no great sign's of it happening, prior to the first day versus Village?

• Advertisement

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Richard Dowling and his team umpires, linesmen must have leaving there glasses at home they saw nothing a lot of high tackling all he needed was a pair of wellingtons you could say here comes farmer pickles.

Richard Dowling has gone from one of the 'best' ref's in Kilkenny two / three years ago to one of the most fraustrating ref's currently....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement