Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Where have Erin's Own found this form,
    In Ballyragget which is made for them. If every game was played in Ballyragget Comer would get to every county final. Tight, low scoring games built on a superbly organised and strong defence backed up by a defensive midfield that can drop back quickly on a tight field. Put them in an open field and it's completely different.
    now probably pulled off the biggest shock in Senior hurling for a decade.
    Massive exaggeration

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Neewollah

Was at both games yesterday. Tullaroan struggled to kill off freshford after getting a great start. They will definitely have to improve if they are to get over the line the next day. Both Tullaroan and Ballycallan will feel they didn't perform to their best in both their games. Certainly going to be an intriguing Final and will make a great curtain raiser to the senior final.

Bennettsbridge and Clara was an entertaining game. You could see signs of nerves from Bennettsbridge in the 1st half and Clara's experience was definitely telling. Clara probably put in their best performance of the year and Bennettsbridge did well to bounce back from goals conceded and errors in defence that kept Clara in it when it looked like Bennettsbridge had the game under control. Definitely wasn't a classic regards standard but semi finals tend to be nervy affairs. Bennettsbridge will know huge improvement needed if they are going to get theirs hands on the trophy in 2 weeks. Great to see the club back in the final though and there was a lot of goodwill in the stands yesterday I felt from the neutrals.

Neewollah wrote: »
    Certainly going to be an intriguing Final and will make a great curtain raiser to the senior final.

Is this what's happening? With a local Derby in the Intermediate final surely the county board will want separate finals to maximise gate receipts?

Is this what's happening? With a local Derby in the Intermediate final surely the county board will want separate finals to maximise gate receipts?

Has to be played I think as the winners are due out in leinster the weekend after. Certainly going to be biggest crowd for a senior final for a long while due to this

Just seen it on the KKGAA website. Shocked they're not doing a Saturday/Sunday double header with the Junior and minors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Truth be told1974

Massive exaggeration

Name a bigger one?

List me out the results of the last 10 years there and I'll pick one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Really hope Richie Hogans back injury sustained again at the weekend isnt as bad as it looks. He did not look comfortable coming off at all. Fort were deserved winners as some of the younger players like 18 year olds Daire O'Neill and Diurmuid Phelan were outstanding. Have to say I have seen the shocks numerous times this year and they never really impressed so really hard to see where they go from here and whether some the old guard continue. Carrickshock caused some early panic early on fort full back line when launching numerous high balls on top of Paul Murphy who was struggling to gather the ball cleanly but in saying that Carrickshock didnt look like they had many other options other than to go direct. The fort had a  hard earned 7 point lead with 5 mins of regular time left and but Carrickshock started going for goals from near in frees when the right option was to take there points as there was always going to be significant amount of injury time added. Two missed frees in front of goal 40 yards cost shocks dearly too while Danesfort just plugged away and kept the score board ticking.

Erin's Own beating James Stephens after a replay, this year, is the biggest upset in Kilkenny Senior hurling championship in a decade, was my statement. You said that comment was a massive exaggeration - I'm curious why you replied like you did as you do not seem to have any basis to your reply and cannot back it up as to why it was not a massive shock?

No matter....

http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/page/seniorhurling

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Richard Dowling has gone from one of the 'best' ref's in Kilkenny two / three years ago to one of the most fraustrating ref's currently....

Things could have getting out of hand easily yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭brookville

Noddy33 wrote: »
    Really hope Richie Hogans back injury sustained again at the weekend isnt as bad as it looks. He did not look comfortable coming off at all. Fort were deserved winners as some of the younger players like 18 year olds Daire O'Neill and Diurmuid Phelan were outstanding. Have to say I have seen the shocks numerous times this year and they never really impressed so really hard to see where they go from here and whether some the old guard continue. Carrickshock caused some early panic early on fort full back line when launching numerous high balls on top of Paul Murphy who was struggling to gather the ball cleanly but in saying that Carrickshock didnt look like they had many other options other than to go direct. The fort had a  hard earned 7 point lead with 5 mins of regular time left and but Carrickshock started going for goals from near in frees when the right option was to take there points as there was always going to be significant amount of injury time added. Two missed frees in front of goal 40 yards cost shocks dearly too while Danesfort just plugged away and kept the score board ticking.
    i was told by a dfort lad that it was more his groin leg area but it could easily be his back being the main problem, hopefully he can recover fully and get to go to oz in a few weeks.
    sean morrissey put his hand up yesterday with some great scores its amazing what confidence can do.I also thought the switching of blanchfield to the half foward line worked and i hope he can run at defenders more.
    I also think chris bolger showed great leadership yesterday and i take the point he should of passed that ball but like morrissey he was confident but seemed to fall as he struck it and didnt get the power into it.I hope his called back in next year he definitely has something to work with if the attitude is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭blackcard

Should be some interesting match-ups between Comer and Ballyhale. I expect Conor Delaney will mark TJ, Ciaran Wallace to mark Colin Fennelly, Conor Fogarty or Niall McMahon to mark Adrian Mullen and Michael Murphy to tussle with Mick Fennelly. Conor Delaney has performed well at centre back but TJ will be a real test for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Comerman

blackcard wrote: »
    Should be some interesting match-ups between Comer and Ballyhale. I expect Conor Delaney will mark TJ, Ciaran Wallace to mark Colin Fennelly, Conor Fogarty or Niall McMahon to mark Adrian Mullen and Michael Murphy to tussle with Mick Fennelly. Conor Delaney has performed well at centre back but TJ will be a real test for him.
    I'd say Mc Mahon would be marking Mullen, he did a great job on Brazzo the Last two games, looking forward to the battle of Murphy and Fennelly ðŸ˜

Erin's Own beating James Stephens after a replay, this year, is the biggest upset in Kilkenny Senior hurling championship in a decade, was my statement. You said that comment was a massive exaggeration - I'm curious why you replied like you did as you do not seem to have any basis to your reply and cannot back it up as to why it was not a massive shock?

No matter....

I personally don't believe Comer beating James Stephens in Ballyragget is a massive shock. That's what I'm saying. And my reasoning and basis for that opinion is in the main part of my post.

What will be a massive shock is if Comer beat Shamrocks in Nowlan Park. Completely different circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

No matter....

I personally don't believe Comer beating James Stephens in Ballyragget is a massive shock. That's what I'm saying. And my reasoning and basis for that opinion is in the main part of my post.

What will be a massive shock is if Comer beat Shamrocks in Nowlan Park. Completely different circumstances.

Completely agree here that seeing Comer beat the village was most definitely not the biggest shock in the club champ form the last decade. Anybody who seen the village during the group stage would have know they were only average.......altho they did go on a nice of run of few wins. However they were pi$$ poor against Mullinavat, had a very unconvincing win against 13 men Ballyragget and one of their wins was against a very weak Carrickshock team and a win against Boro team missing numerous regular starters. 
    A bigger shock for me in this years champo was Clara win against O'Loughlin gaels who were tipping along nicely all season and were bookies favorites at the time! Clara were also missing 5 starters from team and came from 7 points down at half time to completely shock the gaels.

Anyone know what the story is with the tickets for Sunday? Supervalu say there's none available

Comerman wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is with the tickets for Sunday? Supervalu say there's none available

I got ticket in my local Centra the Sunday morning of the double header last Sunday. Doesn't sound right.

Neewollah wrote: »
    I got ticket in my local Centra the Sunday morning of the double header last Sunday. Doesn't sound right.
    Just tried Centra and they're not available there either

Comerman wrote: »
    Just tried Centra and they're not available there either

If any of ye are passing through Ballyragget during the week super value Dicks will have them got one there last sunday am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭laneykin

I just got my ticket on the way into the park last Sunday no problem at all. Is it the usual deal that they're €5 cheaper if you get them in Centra or Supervalu for club games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

It is wonderful to see Bennettsbridge back in a senior final after so long and after they falling so far down the pecking order. In their hay day they produced so many wonderful hurlers men like  Seamus Cleere. Paddy Moran. Jim and Martin Tracey Johnny McGovern Pat Kinsella and many many more most skillful hurlers in the days when brutality was near part of the game and equally admired From Junior champions in 2014 to senior finalists in 2018 speaks volumes for the work going on in the parish. That at least four of them are already on the county panel is also testament to the efforts of the Bridge and the astuteness of Brian Cody to recognize up and coming talent.12 county titles is a magnificent achievement no matter when they were won and if the current crop are in any way related to those who went before them they will not be pushed around in the county final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

It is wonderful to see Bennettsbridge back in a senior final after so long and after they falling so far down the pecking order. In their hay day they produced so many wonderful hurlers men like  Seamus Cleere. Paddy Moran. Jim and Martin Tracey Johnny McGovern Pat Kinsella and many many more most skillful hurlers in the days when brutality was near part of the game and equally admired From Junior champions in 2014 to senior finalists in 2018 speaks volumes for the work going on in the parish. That at least four of them are already on the county panel is also testament to the efforts of the Bridge and the astuteness of Brian Cody to recognize up and coming talent.12 county titles is a magnificent achievement no matter when they were won and if the current crop are in any way related to those who went before them they will not be pushed around in the county final.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭conor05

Be some crop of medals for Bennettsbridge players if they can win the KK SHC.

Would any other club players in Kilkenny from any era have KK JHC, IHC and SHC medals?

A clean sweep of all grades basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

conor05 wrote: »

Would any other club players in Kilkenny from any era have KK JHC, IHC and SHC medals?

Dunnamaggin won junior in 94, intermediate in 95 and senior in 97. Some going.

Very true. There seems to be a lot of nostalgia around the place with Bennettsbridge back on the biggest day of the Kilkenny gaa calendar. Current crop of players are well deserved of their place there. Play a lovely brand of hurling and will be a threat to whoever they play in the final.

This weekend sees the junior final along with the 2nd senior semi final.

I haven't seen a lot of the junior games this year but I sense it will be a close game. Not looking good for Noel Hickey according to todays KK people. Will be a huge loss to Dunna and will balance the books imo. Dunna's strength is definitely in defence while Piltown have a couple of lively forwards. If Dunnamaggin can avoid conceding goals I'd fancy them to shade this.

The Senior semi final I feel could be a closer game than most imagine. Comer have absolutely nothing to lose and confidence will be high. That being said I still see the Shamrocks as having too much in the forwards. Far more scoring forwards than the Village had so harder for Comer to nullify them all. Ballyhale to pull away in last 10 and win by 5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭blackcard

Wow some achievement. Did they have a bunch of young players coming at the one time?

People actually said that time when Dunnamaggin won that they were going to be the new Bennetsbridge they would go on win more. The Fenians Johnstown came up from junior won a senior as well back in the late sixties there was no intermediate.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

And relegated in 98!!

• Advertisement

Ballyhale Shamrocks - Won Junior '73, Intermediate '74 and got bet in Senior semi-final in '75 (after a replay), won Senior in '78, so Junior to Senior champions in 6 x years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement