Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prostitution: when is it going to be legalised and regulated?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

No, it should be illegal and both client and prostitute guilty of an offence (old law)
    Great. Which is.... what.... forthcoming?

what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Yes, it should be legalised but *not* regulated
    VinLieger wrote: »
    Except you previously said this when i said your reason for believing this was wrong was due to your religious beliefs

Would love to hear your secular argument

Don't get your hopes up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

what?

You just claimed you could make a secular argument on the subject. I was wondering out loud when that was going to occur. It demonstrably has not happened on the thread yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

You shouldn't be so intolerant and childish.

You shouldn’t be pushing your lifestyle choices on everyone else

See this is why I love this website. We start out talking about prostitution, then moved onto the morality of sex outside of marriage and now we're..... umm....

Wait, where are we?? I'm confused now. I'm lost :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,750 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

jaxxx wrote: »
    See this is why I love this website. We start out talking about prostitution, then moved onto the morality of sex outside of marriage and now we're..... umm....

I believe we are all stuck under a bridge

No, it should be illegal and both client and prostitute guilty of an offence (old law)

Can I take heroin?

I don’t know what we’re talking about but I do know it’s turning me on

Can I take heroin?

If you want to but I’ve heard it’s not very good for you

If you want to but I’ve heard it’s not very good for you

Is it all just me me me with you? What about the mother who has to live with a heroin addict?

• Advertisement

Is it all just me me me with you? What about the mother who has to live with a heroin addict?

*facepalm*

Reason #362 of #437,104 of why the world is fooked.

I genuinely can’t with you, this is a conversation about ridin, not doing drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,750 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Tell them its immoral and they need to stop...... oh no wait that's what you would do

I genuinely can’t with you, this is a conversation about ridin, not doing drugs.

But 1+1 = 432!!!!!

But 1+1 = 432!!!!!

You’re good at maths!!

• Site Banned Posts: 218 ✭✭A Pint of Goo

By the way any chance of answering the question at the end of my message I will leave it here again. I wonder would you be so open with your opinions in the open?

I would. My argument in favour of prostitution is to allow profoundly handciapped and deformed men to get some.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I would. My argument in favour of prostitution is to allow profoundly handciapped and deformed men to get some.

You still don't see it do you. You think you are been a shining angel by allowing prostitution for these poor souls. These people do not need your pity and I would say that the most people who use prostitution are not the above I would say the vast vast majority are men and women who just want sex and that is people from all walks of life. Would you class the model Katie Piper who got acid thrown on her as deformed. If so do you now know she is in a relationship and has a baby. Just because you do not think they are "normal" does not make it so. What is normal by the way. I am in a wheelchair and can't walk am I normal.

By the way is it just the men how about the women

Funny you mention that as I've just read an article online where one bishop said any Catholic who voted yes needs to go to confession...... Seriously can all these bishops just f*ck off already?? "We don't want you anymore! Go home to Rome!!!!!!"

I had just read that article too before I made that post you quoted.

They've some fúckin' neck.

You still don't see it do you. You think you are been a shining angel by allowing prostitution for these poor souls. These people do not need your pity and I would say that the most people who use prostitution are not the above I would say the vast vast majority are men and women who just want sex and that is people from all walks of life. Would you class the model Katie Piper who got acid thrown on her as deformed. If so do you now know she is in a relationship and has a baby. Just because you do not think they are "normal" does not make it so. What is normal by the way. I am in a wheelchair and can't walk am I normal.

By the way is it just the men how about the women

So you are disabled, that explains your touchiness.

So you are disabled, that explains your touchiness.

Yes I am disabled and yes I am touchy as you think by making a sweeping statement that disabled or a person with a deformity will not get some unless they go to a prostitute and I think is a very dangerous attitude to have. Me having a disability does not diminish my point any less then yours. So why don't you repsond to what I wrote rather then looking for an out

• Advertisement

First of all I agree with you it is up to an adult when they want sex as long as it's consensual. However what I find funny is when someone agrees with something everyone should hear it and agree but when its an opinion you do not like its stop pushing your agenda on me.

Yes I am disabled and yes I am touchy as you think by making a sweeping statement that disabled or a person with a deformity will not get some unless they go to a prostitute and I think is a very dangerous attitude to have. Me having a disability does not diminish my point any less then yours. So why don't you repsond to what I wrote rather then looking for an out

If you take offence to my reasonable comments then that is your issue. And I never said anyone wasn't normal. We can pretend that a beggar can charm a beautiful woman into bed but that won't happen either. Not point pretending the world isn't a harsh place.

First of all I agree with you it is up to an adult when they want sex as long as it's consensual. However what I find funny is when someone agrees with something everyone should hear it and agree but when its an opinion you do not like its stop pushing your agenda on me.

But he is pushing his agenda. He’s actively looking down on people who chose to live a different lifestyle than him.

As I described earlier however, it pays to dig deeper into what people mean when they say that about pushing agendas onto people.

We live in a democracy, so at some level we all SHOULD be pushing our agendas on to others. That is at one level what democracy is.

The distinction to be made is between people who support their agendas, positions and goals with arguments, evidence, data and reasoning............ and those who are ONLY pushing their agendas onto others. By assertion, fiat and declaration........ without engaging with the discourse in good faith or..... as we have seen from the user in question..... not engaging in it AT ALL.

Especially, again as we have seen here, if that is done in a way that is explicitly formulated to pour derision, judgement and disparagement onto the target of that empty and unsubstantiated opinion.

Opinion in itself is not a bad thing. Opinion offered in isolation however is white noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 preacher2

And that happens whether it is illegal or not. So this is a monumentally poor argument for it being illegal.

Making it legal however and regulating it gives us the tools to at least start to combat such a situation. Other countries have failed to do this correctly or well. We could be a shining example to the rest of the world were we to aim to actually get it right.

Yes it happens whether illegal or legal? That point is irrelevant, fact is it will happen MORE.

preacher2 wrote: »
    Yes it happens whether illegal or legal? That point is irrelevant, fact is it will happen MORE.

Will it though? It’s not exactly difficult, or even that dangerous to find a prostitute these days

preacher2 wrote: »

Is that a fact or an assertion though? You certainly have not substantiated it, so I am going with assertion for now.

Let us see what we can call fact though.

1) Trafficking happens.
    2) Making sex work illegal does not give us any distinct tools to combat it. And quite often creates issues that hinder that goal.
    3) Making sex work legal and regulated potentially does give us those tools, and removes many of the issues that hinder that goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Yes I am.

So you can only do some dick swivelling inside marriage *snigger*

You’re good at maths!!

IKR! We've each got our strengths :D

I had just read that article too before I made that post you quoted.

They've some fúckin' neck.

Another one today, a priest telling people to get married in city hall and not a church if they're not gonna abide by the church's teachings. On one hand he has a point, on the other mich bigger hand this just shows the supreme arrogance and almost autocratic nature of the chirch that more and more people are waking up and realising, i.e. "there is no room for compromise in our teachings, it is our way or the highway".

In their own defence, they are fighting their own extinction so you can't blame them, but I still wouldn't mind being the one to 'put the final nail in the coffin', no pun intended :)

• Advertisement

IKR! We've each got our strengths :D

Another one today, a priest telling people to get married in city hall and not a church if they're not gonna abide by the church's teachings. On one hand he has a point, on the other mich bigger hand this just shows the supreme arrogance and almost autocratic nature of the chirch that more and more people are waking up and realising, i.e. "there is no room for compromise in our teachings, it is our way or the highway".

In their own defence, they are fighting their own extinction so you can't blame them, but I still wouldn't mind being the one to 'put the final nail in the coffin', no pun intended :)

I know, it's an outrage that the church sticks by its teachings.

Advertisement