Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prostitution: when is it going to be legalised and regulated?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Yes, it should be legalised but *not* regulated
    If you have to pay for it, you should be seeking the services of a good therapist, and try to figure out why you view women as a commodity.

Or perhaps people who pay for sex are not doing so under YOUR narrative and hence do not need to seek help for issues they only have in YOUR mind.
    I've never heard a young girl say mummy when I grow up I want to be a hooker.

Nor have I heard a single child say they want to grow up to be a cleaner but many of them do that too. If we are going to gauge the quality of a career path by what children DONT say about them, you will be indicting quite a few career paths indeed.
    Any man who pays for sex with a woman is not a real man.

A the old "Real Man" (TM) that no one appears to know what it actually means, consists of or how it is defined. Threads attempting to detail what a "Real Man" actually is tend to descend into nonsense and madness. I suspect your own personal definitions of what qualifies will be no more enlightening.
    It should probably be legalised and regulated to protect the women, but reducing demand should be the main objective then.

I see no reason why reducing demand on that service would benefit us if the women in such an industry were regulated and protected.
    Yeah, but I think there's a difference between doing a mundane job for pay, and getting f*cked in an orifice by some sleazebag. But again, I think it comes down to respect for women, and you either got it or you don't!

And yet the only one showing any disrespect is you, not the clients, by simply automatically pegging anyone who avails of the service as a "sleazebag". You are projecting your own judgements onto people, and then acting like these women need protecting from what you have merely imagined.
    Same ****e as the poster above. Good luck with the women in your life with those attitudes lads.

Yeah, I am sure the attitude that adult women are.... well.... adults.... autonomous.... and can be trusted to make their own career choices without a white knight to ride in and protect them from themselves..... is gonna be really harmful.
    I would reduce demand by, as a society, trying to increase respect for women

Great, then maybe start by respecting them enough to make their own career decisions and not acting like they somehow need to be protected from themselves, or judged, by you.
    But I don't get this male entitlement to sex.

Well since you just invented it, if you do not get it then I doubt anyone else can help you. The rest of us I suspect do not see someone buying sex as thinking they are any more OR less "entitled to sex" than me buying a cinema ticket makes me feel I am "entitled to watch a movie".

You are inventing the "entitlement" here out of nothing, and then acting like it is the problem of others.

One wonders if you have the same contempt for people who do massage as a career path. After all both masseurs and sex workers are basically using parts of their body to manipulate, often in a pleasurable way, parts of the clients body. So what makes one bad and the other not? Other than your own hang ups? Why is one person doing it a commodity, and the other not?

• Site Banned Posts: 218 ✭✭A Pint of Goo

If you have to pay for it, you should be seeking the services of a good therapist, and try to figure out why you view women as a commodity. Maybe work on yourself, and you'll get a woman to have sex with you for free! Seriously, has it ever been easier to get no strings attached sex? :confused:

I think I would cry with shame afterwards if I had sex with a prostitute, I would feel so bad. What led this woman to this place in life? I've never heard a young girl say mummy when I grow up I want to be a hooker.

Any man who pays for sex with a woman is not a real man. Think if that was your own daughter or loved one.

It should probably be legalised and regulated to protect the women, but reducing demand should be the main objective then.

Well what if you're deformed, how will you get sex? Supposing your face was burned off, you'll never get some unless you pay for it.

And this talk about 'respect'. If I pay for it I'm disrespectful but if I pick up some wasted bar slut that's fine?

I don't get this respect thing. Why I should I respect you just because you're a woman? Respect is normally earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Well what if you're deformed, how will you get sex? Supposing your face was burned off, you'll never get some unless you pay for it.

And this talk about 'respect'. If I pay for it I'm disrespectful but if I pick up some wasted bar slut that's fine?

I don't get this respect thing. Why I should I respect you just because you're a woman? Respect is normally earned.

I certainly hope you are not trying to say that deformed, ugly people wouldn't get sex or have a loving relationship. Why would a person who has got burns to there face not be loved. Are you actually so shallow to say that person can't have a loving relationship. Where is your RESPECT for these people.

Respect is earned your right at the moment with me your -50 out of a 100

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I certainly hope you are not trying to say that deformed, ugly people wouldn't get sex or have a loving relationship. Why would a person who has got burns to there face not be loved. Are you actually so shallow to say that person can't have a loving relationship. Where is your RESPECT for these people.

Respect doesn't give men a boner.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you have a disability yourself.

• Advertisement

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you have a disability yourself.

What is that supposed to mean

What difference does that make if I am disabled or not and yes I have had girlfriend's. I know plenty of people with disabilities deformities and all is loving relationships some with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭anewme

No, it should be illegal and both client and prostitute guilty of an offence (old law)

Horrible hateful post.

Belittling disabled people or people with burns.

Calling women “wasted bar sluts”

Respect starts with self respect and it’s clearly not evident in any of your posts.

I hope it keeps fine for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Sheeps wrote: »
    Respect doesn't give men a boner.
    Mod note: And disrespect doesn't get the ladies all hot and bothered either.

A little respect could go a long way in keeping this thread open for discussion as well.

Buford T. Justice

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Me: 'I can't get more erect'

Buford T. Justice : 'Hold my beer'

anewme wrote: »
    Horrible hateful post.

Belittling disabled people or people with burns.

Calling women “wasted bar sluts”

Respect starts with self respect and it’s clearly not evident in any of your posts.

I hope it keeps fine for you.

I'm very sorry to let you down yet again Maude Flanders but it's the truth. And yes some women are drunk sluts. You don't automatically get respect because just you're a woman no more than you do as a man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

No chance that it'll ever be legalized and regulated here. The laws were changed recently which criminalized the act even further. Moreover, do people who work in the sector want it legalized and regulated? I know of two speakers on the matter, Ruhana (sp) and the ex-prostitute who seems to get a run out on the LLS every year or so and they are always pushing for more convictions for those who use these services.

Berserker wrote: »
    No chance that it'll ever be legalized and regulated here. The laws were changed recently which criminalized the act even further. Moreover, do people who work in the sector want it legalized and regulated? I know of two speakers on the matter, Ruhana (sp) and the ex-prostitute who seems to get a run out on the LLS every year or so and they are always pushing for more convictions for those who use these services.

Unless you're paying a street walker you don't need to worry about getting arrested.

Berserker wrote: »

I am sorry but is not the truth as I said in my message to you with your condensending post of I guess you have a disability. To belittle people with deformities, disabilities, burns and your opinion of women is nothing short of shocking. I wonder would you be so open with your opinions in the open.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Did you quote the wrong post there perhaps?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I know we are all supposed to be liberal lefties now but do we want prostitution legalized?

Would the women of Ireland be ok if many of their menfolk stopped off in the local brothel on their way home from work, without any fear of it being illegal or being caught?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I know we are all supposed to be liberal lefties now but do we want prostitution legalized?

Would the women of Ireland be ok if many of their menfolk stopped off in the local brothel on their way home from work, without any fear of it being illegal or being caught?

No different to a one night stand from a girl you met in a night club

All Eyes On Rafah

Do you not think that if the only thing stopping your hubby from banging a hooker on the way home from work is the fear of getting caught, maybe your relationship isn't all that in the first place?

Do you not think that if the only thing stopping your hubby from banging a hooker on the way home from work is the fear of getting caught, maybe your relationship isn't all that in the first place?

Twist ending

The wife is working there.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

#trustmen :pac:

Ush1 wrote: »
    #trustmen :pac:

#thrustmen

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

No different to a one night stand from a girl you met in a night club

It is if you don't wear protection and the customer/customers before them did the same.

The average girl in a nightclub is hardly going to have slept with hundreds if not thousands of men. Few might have, the majority no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

100% prostitution should be legalised.

If a woman wants to sell her own body she's fully entitled to.

Did you quote the wrong post there perhaps?:pac:

Ops changed now deleted and right 1 quoted thanks

I'm very sorry to let you down yet again Maude Flanders but it's the truth. And yes some women are drunk sluts. You don't automatically get respect because just you're a woman no more than you do as a man.

I am sorry but is not the truth as I said in my message to you with your condensending post of I guess you have a disability. To belittle people with deformities, disabilities, burns and your opinion of women is nothing short of shocking. I wonder would you be so open with your opinions in the open.

It is if you don't wear protection and the customer/customers before them did the same.

The average girl in a nightclub is hardly going to have slept with hundreds if not thousands of men. Few might have, the majority no.

I doubt any hookers would not use contraception. Health is wealth. Any many girls and guys have slept with plenty of others over a period of time.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

A very strange criteria for legislating on an issue. People private marital issues should not be the mediation point of whether we have something like sex work being illegal or legal.

Given how strictly sex workers employ protection, if I was given the choice to have unprotected sex with a sex worker or with a random person I know nothing about from a night club........ I would select the former and feel like I was making the safer bet.

That said though, one of the reasons people want to see a legal and regulated industry is to give us the tools to attempt to reduce the quantity of STIs in that industry. Such as periodical mandatory STI checks for sex workers.

Twist ending

M Night Shamaylan style hooring.

I guess you meant to quote me. If you genuienly think people with massive deformities won't struggle to get sex then you are either delusional or using this belief as a coping strategy.

How about this, Google images of women who have been culturally enriched with acid attacks and decide if you would sleep with them. The brutal honest answer is no.

Twist ending

Does she give the hubby a discount?

Come to think of it do hoors do nixers?:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Au contraire! I’d have very little problem if a friend came to me and said she’s getting into prostitution. Like you said- it’s her choice. My only fears would be for her safety. Which could be negated by introducing some regulations around the industry.

Advertisement