Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prostitution: when is it going to be legalised and regulated?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,353 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It's not 'her body her choice'. That's an irritating slogan that has become popular for some reason. When you live in a society with other people you can't just do whatever you want.

how does a woman engaging in sex work cause damage to any other person in society?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yes, it should be legalised but *not* regulated
    Yes, I believe so.

Then your problem is quite obviously that you have an issue around sex in general which you probably should talk to someone about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Yes, I believe so.

Ah! So your issue IS with sex in general. Gotchya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

It's the Pimp's fault sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

No, it should be illegal and both client and prostitute guilty of an offence (old law)
    I think I've won this argument. Slán libh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Yes, I believe so.

This goes beyond Prostitution then.

It would also include two people meeting in a bar and hooking up for a one night stand?

No, it should be illegal and both client and prostitute guilty of an offence (old law)
    This goes beyond Prostitution then.

It would also include two people meeting in a bar and hooking up for a one night stand?

No, I wouldn't make that illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 preacher2

Although the abortion drama was a mess, and the result was an even bigger mess, I also see it having a ripple effect onto other things like this.

Real answer: Should prostitution be legalized? No

Why: No matter how hard you try, there WILL be gangs and pimps running these women and taking the money and treating them disgustingly. It happens worldwide in every country from US to Germany and from Germany to Lithuania. If you can find it on a map, it's happening there.

I think I've won this argument. Slán libh.

Yes...retreat away

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

As long as all parties are above the legal age and fully consenting, then there is no problem.

Many may not like the idea (I certainly don't myself), but that is no reason for it to be outlawed.

• Advertisement

preacher2 wrote: »
    Although the abortion drama was a mess, and the result was an even bigger mess, I also see it having a ripple effect onto other things like this.

Why: No matter how hard you try, there WILL be gangs and pimps running these women and taking the money and treating them disgustingly. It happens worldwide in every country from US to Germany and from Germany to Lithuania. If you can find it on a map, it's happening there.

That's the point I'm making.

That will happen either way so why not control what we can, make it as safe as we can and tax it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Yes, I believe so.

Why?

eviltwin wrote: »
    Why?

Because sex outside marriage is immoral

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Oh dear, they still exist..... Oh dear. Oh no....

I'm actually fighting back the tears here, I cannot breathe! :D

Wait.... this is the 21st century isn't it??? It is?? Oh good, I was worried there for a second! Phew!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Are you speaking from a religious point of view? Fair enough.

I'd like to see full regulation of the sex industry for all involved. The safety of the workers would be my priority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Lol. Ok.

Lol. Ok.

I have my popcorn all ready to go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I think it is morally wrong to pay for sex, yes, and I'm perfectly happy to push that view on to others.

Well yes we clearly know THAT this is your position. The basis for the position remains opaque to us at this time however and, I suspect, to you to.

You simply have nothing to offer on the subject except your own personal disgust, and your own need to degrade other adults for making choices other than your own.
    That's the point I'm making.

Ah no it was not the point you were making at all. The only point you have made so far is that YOU personally find it disgusting. A much different point than the one the user made.

Looks like you were just desperate to put your name to the first user who came in and actually put an argument together, where you failed to.

To you. Once again however I suspect you have absolutely no argument whatsoever to back up this wanton and empty assertion.

Why: No matter how hard you try, there WILL be gangs and pimps running these women and taking the money and treating them disgustingly.

And that happens whether it is illegal or not. So this is a monumentally poor argument for it being illegal.

Making it legal however and regulating it gives us the tools to at least start to combat such a situation. Other countries have failed to do this correctly or well. We could be a shining example to the rest of the world were we to aim to actually get it right.

• Advertisement

Well yes we clearly know THAT this is your position. The basis for the position remains opaque to us at this time however and, I suspect, to you to.

You simply have nothing to offer on the subject except your own personal disgust, and your own need to degrade other adults for making choices other than your own.

Ah no it was not the point you were making at all. The only point you have made so far is that YOU personally find it disgusting. A much different point than the one the user made.

Looks like you were just desperate to put your name to the first user who came in and actually put an argument together, where you failed to.

To you. Once again however I suspect you have absolutely no argument whatsoever to back up this wanton and empty assertion.

I bet you any money that they're a flat earther too!

And that happens whether it is illegal or not. So this is a monumentally poor argument for it being illegal.

Making it legal however and regulating it gives us the tools to at least start to combat such a situation. Other countries have failed to do this correctly or well. We could be a shining example to the rest of the world were we to aim to actually get it right.

Common sense at least, thank you. That is a point I've been stressing to people for years: you can throw as much legislation and different laws towards it until the sun runs out of hydrogen, but the fact is that you can never 100% completely eliminate neither the demand for prostitution nor prostitution itself, therefore the only logical thing to do is make sure it is regulated and that those involved have the full protection of the law.

+1

jaxxx wrote: »
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Oh dear, they still exist..... Oh dear. Oh no....

I'm actually fighting back the tears here, I cannot breathe! :D

Wait.... this is the 21st century isn't it??? It is?? Oh good, I was worried there for a second! Phew!!!

You shouldn't be so intolerant and childish.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Are you speaking from a religious point of view? Fair enough.

I'd like to see full regulation of the sex industry for all involved. The safety of the workers would be my priority.

Yes I am.

Why? What reasons do you believe this? Also what reasons do you feel your opinion on this specific issue should be pushed on the rest ofbspciety?

Also if sex outside of marriage is immoral why do you not think that should be made illegal?

You shouldn't be so intolerant and childish.

You shouldn't be living in the dark ages.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Why? What reasons do you believe this? Also what reasons do you feel your opinion on this specific issue should be pushed on the rest ofbspciety?

Also if sex outside of marriage is immoral why do you not think that should be made illegal?

Because it is what the Church teaches. I can make a secular argument, which is important.

Great. Which is.... what.... forthcoming?

Because it is what the Church teaches. I can make a secular argument, which is important.

Except you previously said this when i said your reason for believing this was wrong was due to your religious beliefs
    What religious beliefs?

Would love to hear your secular argument

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    Except you previously said this why i said your reason for beliving this was wrong were due to your religious beliefd

Would love to hear your secular argument

I was wondering how you knew. Your mind reading abilities are astounding.

Advertisement