Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exit poll: The post referendum thread. No electioneering.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Looking like Donegal voted no

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Mr.S wrote: »
    They can give all the information and options to a women they want until the cows come home, but to get an abortion, women will still need to travel abroad or order 'illegal' pills off the internet, so things will continue the same until legalisation has passed and the logistics are setup, which is ~12 months away.

At least the women who have to travel, know that change is coming for the people following them.

Doctors will be more sympathetic, sure, but nothing else changes, for now.

I say January at the most

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I suspect the costs here will still make England an option for many!

Doubt it. GP led service, medical card and drugs payment scheme will be used.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Looking like Donegal voted no
    Closest county culturally linked to NI votes no, what a surprise. :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

The topic re abortion in poor countries versus rich was going nowhere not the thread in general.
    Any more lies?

It's quite telling that you don't know a lie when you see it, or in this case, don't see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

January wrote: »
    There are definitely winners in this. Yes, the decision to have an abortion is a sad one and it's not one taken lightly but the winners are the women who can now make this decision on their own shores without having to find themselves in debt or shamed by their country.

All the no side are going to have a good laugh with this now but tbh, I really don't give a flying fiddlers.

Yesterday and today have been surreal, the exit poll last night was the first indication that Ireland actually was being pulled out of the dark ages and today has just confirmed it. I was afraid it would be so close, like divorce referendum close so when I saw the initial results last night I was afraid to hope, but when the boxes started being opened this morning it was amazing. Box after box after box coming out more than 50% yes, more than 60% yes... one box in my constituency had 91% in favour of repeal.

Now we just have to make sure they pass this legislation. Still lots of work to do. This is not the end but it's a great start!

I completely agree.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

And treatment for FFAs or threats to the woman's health and life will almost certainly be provided as part of free maternity service.

And WTF is taking so long in the last 3 constituencies!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Thats one way of describing them. The other is as vote chasing populists who will tell the Yes voter in Caherciveen they now support the Yes side and the No voter in Kilorglin they were No all along.
    They can tell those two people what they want, it's their actions that will matter now that the referendum is dead, buried, and was decisively lost by the no side. Including in their own constituencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

How many women die every year from pregnancy complications in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Maybe. Its primarily elective surgery though. And even if it is valid, most people dont have a medical card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Venezuela has abortion freely available. Remind us what state they are in?
    I think I'd rather live in San Marino than Venezuela. I'm sure you'd feel the same way ;)
    Also to point out, this is a lie. Venezuela was in the list you have been provided on multiple occasions as having comparable abortion laws to ours and is on the list I have posted!

Illegal abortion is killing horrifying numbers of women in Venezuela
    In Venezuela, where ideology is still largely controlled by the Catholic Church, it is illegal to terminate a pregnancy unless the mother’s life is at risk or in the case of foetal impairment. It means that abortion is that second highest killer of women aged 12 to 49 in the country, according to online publication Latin America Bureau, and the cause of 16 per cent of all maternal deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I'm sure this discussion is going on in a number of places right now :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

The referendum is over, can we stop the campaigning please.

Well this is going to be my last post in anything to do with this referendum as I totally sick of it. It has only got worse then the results are in. For those who are bitter ye lost all I can say is though s$%t it is over we will have it when the law passes. You can still carry on with your lifes as normal. As for the gloaters ye are just as worse congrats ye won should look @ RacoonQueens last post. People (the majority) who will be going for abortion as they have no other choice and will have suffered a terrible ordeal so how about you think of them and tone down the f$*^ing rhetoric and bile from your posts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭tigger123

Fianna Fail TD on Rte1 just a moment ago who said the Love Both is staffed by old veterans of the game who've been around for 40 odd years. They tried to pick off TDs one by one to turn them to support the No side.

She said the pressure was immense to back a No vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Maybe. Its primarily elective surgery though. And even if it is valid, most people dont have a medical card.

It's not surgery... it's a doctor writing a prescription and even if most people don't have a medical card then it will cost them 50 euro GP visit and at most 144 euro for the prescription on the Drugs Payment Scheme, much less than what it would cost them to go to the UK.

After 12 weeks, you're talking about for health of the mother of for FFA, which will be done in a hospital and should be covered under the maternity scheme which is free in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Sheeps wrote: »
    How many women die every year from pregnancy complications in Ireland?

How many are acceptable to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

tigger123 wrote: »
    Fianna Fail TD on Rte1 just a moment ago who said the Love Both is staffed by old veterans of the game who've been around for 40 odd years. They tried to pick off TDs one by one to turn them to support the No side.

She said the pressure was immense to back a No vote.

I don't get this. If a TD made up their mind to support Yes, then they should be telling the lobbyists where to go and ignoring all calls and emails from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Could allways do this since the referendums after the X case

My understanding was that they could get "paper" information ie, written details of hospitals etc, but that the gps couldn't help in any way and certainly couldn't help afterwards.

I think that will change in the interim - they are saying Autumn for the legislation so that is this year hopefully.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Also to point out, this is a lie. Venezuela was in the list you have been provided on multiple occasions as having comparable abortion laws to ours and is on the list I have posted!

Illegal abortion is killing horrifying numbers of women in Venezuela

I think in a lot of those countries there is a lot of problems that need sorting out like allowing grown men have sex with underage women but ya people would be surprised what country has abortions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BarleySweets

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    You think more women won’t have to travel to the UK for an abortion before the actual law changes? 🀔

That’s not what they said at all. Why are you putting words into their mouth?

This is what their post meant: No abortion will be legally provided in Ireland until new legislation passes because the Protection of Life Act 2013 still applies.

But, now that the 8th has been repealed, doctors will be allowed to provide information regarding abortions to their patients. Under the 2013 Act, doctors can’t literally provide “recommendations” or “support” or “aftercare” for abortions either, but they can provide information on all of the above now. This means that women are much better off already because while they can’t get the abortion here until new legislation passes, women will still need to travel but now that the 8th is gone, they’ll be able to do so with full information provided by their GP.

My understanding was that they could get "paper" information ie, written details of hospitals etc, but that the gps couldn't help in any way and certainly couldn't help afterwards.

I think that will change in the interim - they are saying Autumn for the legislation so that is this year hopefully.

Sorry I thought you meant in a year my apologies I am also accounting some politicians looking for other stuff and court cases

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Pherekydes wrote: »
    How many are acceptable to you?

Zero deaths by pregnancy complications would be acceptable to me. Do you have a figure or do you answer every question with another question in an attempt to dodge answering?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BarleySweets

I don't get this. If a TD made up their mind to support Yes, then they should be telling the lobbyists where to go and ignoring all calls and emails from them.

It can’t be that easy!

Imagine you’re a TD and getting dozens of calls from random lobbyists who, while not overtly threatening you, imply heavily that if you do not switch to publicly support the No-side, they’ll arrange rent-a-mobs to gate crash every future re-election event you ever attend so that every time you’re trying to address the media or your constituents, there’ll be a rowdy mob there roaring “BABY KILLER!”.

We all give TDs a lot of stick but dealing with that kind of **** can’t be easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Billy86 wrote: »
    No, sorry, you're trying to muddy the waters again. Once more, this is the full and comprehensive list of countries that have abortion laws most in line with our own at present. Not a cherry picked few, this is the full and comprehensive list of all of them. You can cling to microstates Andorra and San Marino if it makes you feel better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_law
    Angola, Central African Republic, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Gabon, São Tomé and Príncipe, South Sudan, Egypt, Libya, Lesotho, Djibouti, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Somalia, Iraq, Andorra, San Marino, Lebanon, Syria, Yemen, Lesotho, Guatemala, Honduras, Paraguay, Suriname, Venezuela, Tonga, Tuvalu, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Kiribati, Palau.

It's not irrelevant, as it came about from this discussion and was in direct response to a 'No' poster claiming abortion is not 'civilised'. If it were irrelevant, you would not have jumped into the conversation as you did. The fact is the argument just doesn't work in your favour here.

First off if you think flushing an aborted foetus down a toilet is civilised well done you. Little different to the Tuam babies scandal in my view. Outrage over one, the other seen as a welcome "civilising" of this country.

Secondly you seemed to have picked selectively from the list.
    Saudi Arabia has a limited form of abortion. Do you think this is a civilised country we should look up to?

On the contray you have undermined your own argument. Many countries with access to abortion are completely brutal regimes with appalling human rights record eg North Korea and China. You think they are civilised countries to look up to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Well said. I suspect some of the gloaters on here didnt actually bother their arse to vote. But a bandwagon is always a magnet for some.

I’d say most did vote, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Fianna Fail are the most irrelevant entity after today's result along with Iona.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I bet this is that poster from the last abortion referendum thread:pac:

Screenshot_20180526_173312.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

Some great coverage of the Yes landslide on http://theliberal.ie/ now....hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

woejus wrote:
    Some great coverage of the Yes landslide on now....hahaha

An historic vote and they're talking about a budget airline route :D

Advertisement