Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exit poll: The post referendum thread. No electioneering.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

Billy86 wrote: »
    It was a mocking turnaround on the "if she didn't want to get pregnant she should have kept her legs closed" nonsense we've been getting endless amounts of on the 8th threads for the last many, many months, including in cases of failed contraception and rape cases. The poster I was responding to is emblematic of that mindset.

In other words, it wasn't to be taken seriously.

Ah see thats what I get for not going back through the thread and reading over what I had missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Tippex wrote: »
    You do realise that the Ireland of today is a multi cultural country and being a husband is not exclusive to christian’s so please do stop spouting tripe.

Just so that you can understand my position in all this. I would love to have more kids but my wife has categorically said no since our youngest (16 next month) was born. If it turned out that my wife was pregnant and decided to have an abortion I would be absolutely devastated (not sure how things would work out, hopefully never happens) but she is fully aware of my feelings on that I would be 100% against it.

However that did not stop me from voting a resounding yes as I have seen first hand down the years the turmoil that this has caused girls, women and families. Too many times has a guy got a girl pregnant and it has been left to the girl to deal with the consequences.

I am not getting into a discussion about what is right and wrong but we live in a democracy and decisions like this should be allowed to each individual affected

I sincerely hope you have the b#lls to tell the child of a single mother who has been left in the situation you describe you think it would have been better they were aborted. I doubt you will have that courage. Many women have been put in difficult positions I agree. Many produced the most wonderful children which brought great happiness to their mothers and grandparents lives. Do you still think they should have been aborted?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Billy86 wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_law
    Angola, Central African Republic, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Gabon, São Tomé and Príncipe, South Sudan, Egypt, Libya, Lesotho, Djibouti, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Somalia, Iraq, Andorra, San Marino, Lebanon, Syria, Yemen, Lesotho, Guatemala, Honduras, Paraguay, Suriname, Venezuela, Tonga, Tuvalu, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Kiribati, Palau.

It seems that it's only third world, war ridden kips that are civilised. Huh.

What a weird world we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm curious how NO voters feel about TDs who advocated a NO seeming to just lay down and won't try and stop something they feel strongly about ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

CruelCoin wrote:
    Yeah, because you're the paragon of all human virtue and the benchmark by which we should all set ourselves.

Did you read your own link and notice the flaw yet? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,171 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'll be nothing but sensitive to any no voters I personally know or spoke to. I have nothing but respect for their opinions regardless of how much I disagree.

As for the troglodites at the Iona institute or Mcguirk, Tóibín,Sherlock, Rick Moranis and Co well they don't deserve any. Their whole campaign was based on a lack of sensitivity, scare mongering and lies.

The thought of what they must feel like today is frankly delightful. Maybe that makes me immature but **** it, I'll leave the maturity to better people than me. I'm proud as all hell to be Irish today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Voted Yes myself and happy today with the result. Can't help but feel that some of the reactions on social media are a bit melodramatic however.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I'm curious how NO voters feel about TDs who advocated a NO seeming to just lay down and won't try and stop something they feel strongly about ?

There isn't much they could do when 70% of the country is in agreement on what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,176 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Hard to know, cos for every no voter there's at least 1 other person in the constituency who voted Yes. Political suicide for the person if they fought it. Very different if it was much closer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Noveight wrote: »
    Voted Yes myself and happy today with the result. Can't help but feel that some of the reactions on social media are a bit melodramatic however.

Why so?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

CruelCoin wrote: »
    It seems that it's only third world, war ridden kips that are civilised. Huh.

What a weird world we live in.

America has among the highest gun crime rates in the world. Do you want to keep up with them on that too because they are "modern".
    A number of impoverished nations much worse off than Ireland also have abortion freely available.

Venezuela has abortion freely available. Remind us what state they are in?

So your comparisions are largely invalid.

Try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It was Dr Rhona O'Mahony Master of the largest maternity hospital in the country, who was cornered by three male politicians and being instructed, in 2013. MMOC cleared them.

GarIT wrote: »

There isn't much they could do when 70% of the country is in agreement on what they want.
    I understand that but only Ronan Mullen has said publicly that he will actively not support the bill and I'm assuming trying to water it down to the point of it being 8th amendment lite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

ricero wrote: »
    Time to legalize the weed next

By 2030 is my guess. We'll see the cash flowing in from other countries, a bit like SSM notice a rush of other nations getting onto it through the 2020s, people will notice when people smoke a joint they don't turn into raging lunatics and start smashing up the streets, and I reckon currently among under 40s it would already win in an absolute landslide (which by then will be under 50s, with the 50-65 crowd likely being split and the 65+ crowd quite strong against).

Shortly after, Versatile will be elected to the Dail. :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mushy wrote:
    Hard to know, cos for every no voter there's at least 1 other person in the constituency who voted Yes. Political suicide for the person if they fought it. Very different if it was much closer

Yeah, populists gonna populist.

My hope is they are voted out at the next GE, truly show the Healy-Raes and their ilk that parish pump politics in Ireland is a thing of the past.

Country, not constituency first.

But I doubt it will bring about meaningful change tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

I sincerely hope you have the b#lls to tell the child of a single mother who has been left in the situation you describe you think it would have been better they were aborted. I doubt you will have that courage. Many women have been put in difficult positions I agree. Many produced the most wonderful children which brought great happiness to their mothers and grandparents lives. Do you still think they should have been aborted?

No I went one better and raised my eldest son as my own (he was 8 months old when his mum and I got together) he was our best man when we got married when he was 8 and now he has a 16 yr old brother (my youngest) and he is a dad himself making me a grandad. So the point you are trying to make is totally redundant.

It is very easy to make comments like the one you have made above when you do not know peoples individual stories and everyones story if different.

It is not up to me to force my beliefs on others.

So when it comes to balls and courage I think I have enough for the both of us thank you very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'll be nothing but sensitive to any no voters I personally know or spoke to. I have nothing but respect for their opinions regardless of how much I disagree.

As for the troglodites at the Iona institute or Mcguirk, Tóibín,Sherlock, Rick Moranis and Co well they don't deserve any. Their whole campaign was based on a lack of sensitivity, scare mongering and lies.

The thought of what they must feel like today is frankly delightful. Maybe that makes me immature but **** it, I'll leave the maturity to better people than me. I'm proud as all hell to be Irish today.

You mean you disagree with them.

Water John wrote: »
    It was Dr Rhona O'Mahony Master of the largest maternity hospital in the country, who was cornered by three male politicians and being instructed, in 2013. MMOC cleared them.
    Yeah she said it on RTÉ earlier. Who are the three male politicians do we know ? I could guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭tigger123

I understand that but only Ronan Mullen has said publicly that he will actively not support the bill and I'm assuming trying to water it down to the point of it being 8th amendment lite.

He's only one Senator. Thankfully there's not a whole load he can do.

America has among the highest gun crime rates in the world. Do you want to keep up with them on that too because they are "modern".
    A number of impoverished nations much worse off than Ireland also have abortion freely available.

Venezuela also has abortion freely available. Reminfmd what state they are in?

So your comparisions are largely invalid.

Try again.
    Poor comparison. America might have the highest gun crime rate in the world, but most developed western societies do not as they have much tighter restrictions and attitudes. Hence I would follow the developed western societies and not the outlier that is the USA. Wouldn't you?

• Advertisement

You mean you disagree with them.

No, he means their whole campaign was based on a lack of sensitivity, scare mongering and lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Should be excommunicated. In fact if you have an abortion or help procure one, you are already

And the priests who show compassion and care to families, and overseen a burial in a Catholic graveyard, and blessing of babies with FFA who were induced in England because that option was not available in Ireland.

Should those priests be ex communicated too?

I wish everyone would stop with the Catholic sh!ite...its 2018, you can have your religion and still vote yes to SSM and 8th and everything in between.

Many people of faith called for repeal.

Necrominus wrote: »
    Yeah, populists gonna populist.

My hope is they are voted out at the next GE, truly show the Healy-Raes and their ilk that parish pump politics in Ireland is a thing of the past.

Country, not constituency first.

But I doubt it will bring about meaningful change tbh.

What is with you people? Do you want any diversity of opinion in politics? Does everyone have to be a liberal trendy? I don't want to live in country where conformist and groupthink opinion are the only ones allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Screenshot_20180526_161239.png

Screenshot_20180526_161437.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I'm a single mother, brought my own wonderful kids to the polling station yesterday and voted yes. To allow them to make their own choices just like I did.

What is with you people? Do you want any diversity of opinion in politics? Does everyone have to be a liberal trendy? I don't want to live in country where conformist and groupthink opinion are the only ones allowed

Of course I want diversity. I want my TDs to put their country first....

You know, the JOB they are elected to do?

Leave the surfacing of roads to the county councillors who are also elected officials.

Necrominus wrote: »
    Of course I want diversity. I want my TDs to put their country first....

You know, the JOB they are elected to do?

Leave the surfacing of roads to the county councillors who are also elected officials.

So do I. But they shouldn't all have to conform to one view which is what many here seem to think.

What is interesting is that political rivals from very different political views. I mean MLMcD and Michael Martin being best friends. Brid smith being on camera with the same FG TDs who in the dail she would be disagreeing with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

erica74 wrote: »
    Why so?

Much of the reaction seems to be a bit over the top and bordering on vicariousness, tbh.

• Advertisement

So do I. But they shouldn't all have to conform to one view which is what many here seem to think.

Wasn't the intention of my post, but I would imagine those who voted No should in fact feel abandoned by those in office who shared their views but now intend to toe the party line, or in the case of the independents... whatever keeps them in the money.

It might be political suicide but those elected officials who voted No should now live or die (politically) by that vote.

Advertisement