Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exit poll: The post referendum thread. No electioneering.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

There you go

Healy Rae's
    Kerry 58.3/41.7

McGrath
    Tipp 59.1/40.9

Lower than the Average that is coming in right now at 67/32

Lower than average true, but I would consider 16-18% margins to be a pretty clear mandate. They were out of touch on that front, but hopefully they amend their stance accordingly (and while I don't like the Healy-Rae's, I have a lot of faith that they will... they're pragmatists first and foremost).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Is abortion the only political issue? Do people not are about anything else?

Are you sad? Do you feel left out that you didn’t get a referendum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

spookwoman wrote: »
    I took them today. Out to waterford airport there is maybe 2 posters on the road then you get this.
    The others passage east and no everywhere

Ok go back out and take some pictures of yes posters including those on signposts for hospitals, clinics, gp surgeries and probably churches and any other location. Report back with your findings.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The one thing I didn't like as a whole over the campaign was during the debates with an audience was the clapping from both sides. I couldn't understand why it was clapping.

Same here, and frankly if this is to become the new norm in political debates (as has been the case in a few countries in the last few years) it's time to have them behind closed doors (though still televised of course). A debate on serious issues like this should never, ever be reduced to a game of 'who can shout the loudest' and that should not be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Ok go back out and take some pictures of yes posters including those on signposts for hospitals, clinics, gp surgeries and probably chur ches and any other location. Report back with your findings.
    There is no signs for clinics, gp surgeries and churches near me. You are not allowed to put posters on signs for hospitals as they are classed as road signs.
    Try again and by the way the pIctures represent irony. Look it up, I R O N Y

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,630 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Is abortion the only political issue? Do people not are about anything else?

Of course it isn't and how you took that I meant that. It was clearly meant To refer to 8th amendment issue.

Yes they do but it seems because he was the minister for health who pushed for a referendum and drafted the heads of bills he will be seen favourable by the voters in Wicklow who voted yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

You think?

I would wager a bet (but the topic is so serious) that if a woman went to her doctor now, even before the legislation is enacted, their stance would be a lot different. Now they could give information and discuss options without fear of census. No doctor will be criticised for that even before the legislation is passed.

You think more women won’t have to travel to the UK for an abortion before the actual law changes? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Noveight wrote: »
    Because their reaction seems to be making a bit of a carnival of the whole thing, like it's a personal achievement of theirs that the Yes vote has gone through. Furthermore, it is disrespectful of those who who voted No and I don't believe that is called for. Gloating over the result or claiming a moral high-ground isn't beneficial to anyone, nor is it a good reflection on a person themselves.

Indeed I do, very well.

No idea why they'd react as they have chosen to, precisely the reason why I believe it's unwarranted.

My big sister tells me stories of the 1983 8th campaign, but to be honest even she admits they are a bit boring, it was a no-contest, a rout.

More relevant to her is the slightly forgotten 87-88 campaigns around the Well Woman & Open Line clinics which gave non-directive counselling (i.e., they didn't tell you that having your baby was the only option) and got subjected to pickets, graffiti, dail questions, police involvement (generally neutral in fairness), high court injunctions, the Hamilton judgement.

Her and her friends are celebrating like goodo today - I think it's understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

To be honest yesterday if you told me urban areas (outside Dublin) were coming back with percentages in the high 50s id have been relieved. The fact that areas that I expected to be a no or a very weak yes are coming back with these figures is a huge (pleasant) surprise. So yeah there is still an urban/rural divide when you consider areas in Dublin are coming with 70% + and other urban areas averaging at 65%. But the results show that the more rural areas are not as traditional or conservative as we thought. They are still coming back with a majority yes and a pretty decisive yes in many areas. Not many would have predicted that yesterday. The urban rural divide is not as big as it used to be.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Lower than average true, but I would consider 16-18% margins to be a pretty clear mandate. They were out of touch on that front, but hopefully they amend their stance accordingly (and while I don't like the Healy-Rae's, I have a lot of faith that they will... they're pragmatists first and foremost).

Thats one way of describing them. The other is as vote chasing populists who will tell the Yes voter in Caherciveen they now support the Yes side and the No voter in Kilorglin they were No all along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'll be nothing but sensitive to any no voters I personally know or spoke to. I have nothing but respect for their opinions regardless of how much I disagree.

As for the troglodites at the Iona institute or Mcguirk, Tóibín,Sherlock, Rick Moranis and Co well they don't deserve any. Their whole campaign was based on a lack of sensitivity, scare mongering and lies.

The thought of what they must feel like today is frankly delightful. Maybe that makes me immature but **** it, I'll leave the maturity to better people than me. I'm proud as all hell to be Irish today.

Plus fucking one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    You think more women won’t have to travel to the UK for an abortion before the actual law changes? ��

No I don't but at least they won't have to slink off. They can go to their gps and probably get information and options.

Last week they caught a plane with no back up medical treatment. No if they feel they have to catch a plane, their gp will be able to provide back up medical treatment with no problems.

Thats what I meant. Now they can discuss options with their gps and get treatment and information from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

Immature post of the year.
    I bet there are yes posters on signposts for gp surgeries and hospitals if you bothered to look.

So salty... your tone of bitter disappointment is such a joy to read.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

loving the seething., sulking and bitterness of the no brigade to accept what 70% of the country voted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

woejus wrote: »

same lot were calling the Yes side bitter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Simon Harris doesn't even need to campaign in the next GE. He can sit at home going on the scenes at Dublin castle. I'd say Leo is secretly unhappy as Simon Harris is certainly a future FG leader now.

Jesus, thats my sleep ruined for the next few nights....the horror!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

My big sister tells me stories of the 1983 8th campaign, but to be honest even she admits they are a bit boring, it was a no-contest, a rout.

More relevant to her is the slightly forgotten 87-88 campaigns around the Well Woman & Open Line clinics which gave non-directive counselling (i.e., they didn't tell you that having your baby was the only option) and got subjected to pickets, graffiti, dail questions, police involvement (generally neutral in fairness), high court injunctions, the Hamilton judgement.

Her and her friends are celebrating like goodo today - I think it's understandable.

It seems like your sister has a pretty far-reaching history with the struggle though. If she has a lot of time and effort invested in it a hooly today is definitely well earned and beyond understandable. Fair play to all involved, actually.

The person I'm on about would have a far lesser genuine connection to the choices at the heart of the referendum and so I'm not sure their celebrations are as warranted as those of your sister or her friends. I think they may be happier that the No side lost than they are with the Yes side having won, which isn't a great attitude :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39,630 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jesus, thats my sleep ruined for the next few nights....the horror!!

Well I said FG leader not Taoiseach. Apologies for ruining your sleep.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

There were never any 'winners' in this. What a woman or a couple must go through to come to the decision to seek an abortion is unimaginable. May this landslide result help the women who still have to travel each week until it all comes together, have easier journeys than those who went before them, knowing they are some of the last.

There were never any 'winners' in this. What a woman or a couple must go through to come to the decision to seek an abortion is unimaginable. May this landslide result help the women who still have to travel each week until it all comes together, have easier journeys than those who went before them, knowing they are some of the last.

Well said. I suspect some of the gloaters on here didnt actually bother their arse to vote. But a bandwagon is always a magnet for some.

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    They were actually responding to my post, here is the full and comprehensive list of all countries with abortion laws most comparable to ours:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_law
    Angola, Central African Republic, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Gabon, São Tomé and Príncipe, South Sudan, Egypt, Libya, Lesotho, Djibouti, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Somalia, Iraq, Andorra, San Marino, Lebanon, Syria, Yemen, Lesotho, Guatemala, Honduras, Paraguay, Suriname, Venezuela, Tonga, Tuvalu, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Kiribati, Palau.

You can try and argue that impoverished or backwards countries have more freedom of abortion, but you'll need to include the likes of the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Korea, essentially all of Europe, etc etc in there as well.

This topic is going nowhere. Rich countries have abortion. Poor countries have abortion. Impoverished miserable ****holes have abortion. Some impoverished miserable ****holes have no abortion because they don't have enough doctors and even if they had the poor people cant afford or have access to them.

Irrelevant topic of the year to go with the other irrelevant post from another poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I think both the bad losers and gloaters should read this

This topic is going nowhere. Rich countries have abortion. Poor countries have abortion. Impoverished miserable ****holes have abortion. Some impoverished miserable ****holes have no abortion because they don't have enough doctors and even if they had the poor people cant afford or have access to them.

Irrelevant topic of the year to go with the other irrelevant post from another poster.

“This topic is going nowhere”... yet here you still are. You lost. You get nothing. Good day, sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

There are definitely winners in this. Yes, the decision to have an abortion is a sad one and it's not one taken lightly but the winners are the women who can now make this decision on their own shores without having to find themselves in debt or shamed by their country.

All the no side are going to have a good laugh with this now but tbh, I really don't give a flying fiddlers.

Yesterday and today have been surreal, the exit poll last night was the first indication that Ireland actually was being pulled out of the dark ages and today has just confirmed it. I was afraid it would be so close, like divorce referendum close so when I saw the initial results last night I was afraid to hope, but when the boxes started being opened this morning it was amazing. Box after box after box coming out more than 50% yes, more than 60% yes... one box in my constituency had 91% in favour of repeal.

Now we just have to make sure they pass this legislation. Still lots of work to do. This is not the end but it's a great start!

Not salty at all. I was actually laughing at her post. It was funny in a way.
    Any more lies?

Not salty at all. I was actually laughing at her post.
    Any more lies?

Where did I lie? You’ve been thoroughly defeated on this thread, in your arguments, and in the ballot. You are on the wrong side of history and you cannot hide your bitter disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

No I don't but at least they won't have to slink off. They can go to their gps and probably get information and options.

Last week they caught a plane with no back up medical treatment. No if they feel they have to catch a plane, their gp will be able to provide back up medical treatment with no problems.

Thats what I meant. Now they can discuss options with their gps and get treatment and information from them.

Could allways do this since the referendums after the X case

January wrote: »
    There are definitely winners in this. Yes, the decision to have an abortion is a sad one and it's not one taken lightly but the winners are the women who can now make this decision on their own shores without having to find themselves in debt or shamed by their country.

All the no side are going to have a good laugh with this now but tbh, I really don't give a flying fiddlers.

Yesterday and today have been surreal, the exit poll last night was the first indication that Ireland actually was being pulled out of the dark ages and today has just confirmed it. I was afraid it would be so close, like divorce referendum close so when I saw the initial results last night I was afraid to hope, but when the boxes started being opened this morning it was amazing. Box after box after box coming out more than 50% yes, more than 60% yes... one box in my constituency had 91% in favour of repeal.

Now we just have to make sure they pass this legislation. Still lots of work to do. This is not the end but it's a great start!

I suspect the costs here will still make England an option for many!

No, sorry, you're trying to muddy the waters again. Once more, this is the full and comprehensive list of countries that have abortion laws most in line with our own at present. Not a cherry picked few, this is the full and comprehensive list of all of them. You can cling to microstates Andorra and San Marino if it makes you feel better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_law
    Angola, Central African Republic, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Gabon, São Tomé and Príncipe, South Sudan, Egypt, Libya, Lesotho, Djibouti, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Somalia, Iraq, Andorra, San Marino, Lebanon, Syria, Yemen, Lesotho, Guatemala, Honduras, Paraguay, Suriname, Venezuela, Tonga, Tuvalu, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Kiribati, Palau.
    It's not irrelevant, as it came about from this discussion and was in direct response to a 'No' poster claiming abortion is not 'civilised'. If it were irrelevant, you would not have jumped into the conversation as you did. The fact is the argument just doesn't work in your favour here.

• Advertisement

“This topic is going nowhere”... yet here you still are. You lost. You get nothing. Good day, sir.

The topic re abortion in poor countries versus rich was going nowhere not the thread in general.
    Any more lies?

Advertisement