Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exit poll: The post referendum thread. No electioneering.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Necrominus wrote: »
    Did you read your own link and notice the flaw yet? ;)

I posted two links.

It's sorted. Don't worry about it.

Feel free to dance around the point that was made though.

North and west are lower in the vote.

It's odd, and i feel its worth talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

erica74 wrote: »
    Screenshot_20180526_161239.png

Screenshot_20180526_161437.png

I wish all these “never again” people would shut up until we actually have the law changed. There will be plenty more women traveling to the UK. Nothing has changed, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Noveight wrote: »
    Much of the reaction seems to be a bit over the top and bordering on vicariousness, tbh.

Why do you think it's over the top? Do you know the people whose reactions you have witnessed? Do you know why they may be reacting so strongly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Yeah, populists gonna populist.

My hope is they are voted out at the next GE, truly show the Healy-Raes and their ilk that parish pump politics in Ireland is a thing of the past.

Country, not constituency first.

But I doubt it will bring about meaningful change tbh.

Agreed about populism. Its an Irish gombeen thing. People will always vote for the politician who changes their views overnight if they think there's more votes to be had rather than holding strong convictions either way.

You only have to look at the pathetic populism of FF, Sinn Fein and the Healy Raes over water charges to see it at its worst. They were for charges until they saw the votes were going to the other side. The Healy Raes were against charges and Irish Water but supplied machinery to them. You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Of course I want diversity. I want my TDs to put their country first....

You know, the JOB they are elected to do?

Leave the surfacing of roads to the county councillors who are also elected officials.

TDs are actually supposed to represent their constituencies, not their country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I understand that but only Ronan Mullen has said publicly that he will actively not support the bill and I'm assuming trying to water it down to the point of it being 8th amendment lite.

Nah, no-one is listening to him, not even the people on his own side.

He will be overwhelmed in the Seanad, the majority of TDs that were No voters, seem to say that as the majority was so large they won't stand in the way of the legislation. Ronan Mullen will just look like the ignoramous he is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I wish all these “never again” people would shut up until we actually have the law changed. There will be plenty more women traveling to the UK. Nothing has changed, yet.

To be fair, from what I've seen and read, "never again" is used in respect of what happened to Savita. I read it as a demand rather than a proclamation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Why do you think it's over the top?

Because their reaction seems to be making a bit of a carnival of the whole thing, like it's a personal achievement of theirs that the Yes vote has gone through. Furthermore, it is disrespectful of those who who voted No and I don't believe that is called for. Gloating over the result or claiming a moral high-ground isn't beneficial to anyone, nor is it a good reflection on a person themselves.
    Do you know the people whose reactions you have witnessed?

Indeed I do, very well.
    Do you know why they may be reacting so strongly?

No idea why they'd react as they have chosen to, precisely the reason why I believe it's unwarranted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Dookie Monster

Amalgam wrote: »
    Cruel and callous is a sceptic tank full of anonymous corpses. Devoid of dignity and identity. Their Mothers driven to the very end of their emotional and physical wits.

Two wrongs don't make a right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

You think?

I would wager a bet (but the topic is so serious) that if a woman went to her doctor now, even before the legislation is enacted, their stance would be a lot different. Now they could give information and discuss options without fear of census. No doctor will be criticised for that even before the legislation is passed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

America has among the highest gun crime rates in the world. Do you want to keep up with them on that too because they are "modern".

If you had to choose between the states and syria, i know which you'd choose, so stop trying to move the goalposts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

This says it all about the No side
    QgU9goRl.jpg
    yQW1Zk7l.jpg
    Z3RzcvWl.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

enda1 wrote:
    TDs are actually supposed to represent their constituencies, not their country

Represent their constituencies on national issues. That doesn't happen in a lot of cases

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Euthanasia next.....if people say yes that (women) have the freedom of choice with their own bodies ie terminate a life in it ..............why is the freedom of choice to terminate your own life so taboo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Theres going to be a reckless session in Galway tonight. I canfeel it coming

Billy86 wrote: »
    Poor comparison. America might have the highest gun crime rate in the world, but most developed western societies do not as they have much tighter restrictions and attitudes. Hence I would follow the developed western societies and not the outlier that is the USA. Wouldn't you?

I can name several impovereished sh1tholes relative to Ireland instead where abortion is freely available. The poster made an irrelevant point. I think I'd rather live in San Marino than Venezuela. I'm sure you'd feel the same way ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Euthanasia next.....if people say yes that (women) have the freedom of choice with their own bodies ie terminate a life in it ..............why is the freedom of choice to terminate your own life so taboo

Nothing stopping a government legislating for that at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Represent their constituencies on national issues. That doesn't happen in a lot of cases

I think we're veering away from the OP but I'd say that's precisely what most do do and what preople refer to as parish pump politics.

It's our government which is supposed to think in the common good and on a national basis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Dookie Monster

blueser wrote: »
    I'll ask again, seeing as you didn't answer me the first time around. Who are you to call for people to be excommunicated?

Should be treated like all murderers and their accomplices

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Simon Harris doesn't even need to campaign in the next GE. He can sit at home going on the scenes at Dublin castle. I'd say Leo is secretly unhappy as Simon Harris is certainly a future FG leader now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

sonofenoch wrote: »

Interesting point there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

spookwoman wrote: »
    Z3RzcvWl.jpg

At least they offered the CHOICE of recycling your unwanted pregnancy in this picture...very progressive

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Simon Harris doesn't even need to campaign in the next GE. He can sit at home going on the scenes at Dublin castle. I'd say Leo is secretly unhappy as Simon Harris is certainly a future FG leader now.

Any Fianna Fail TDs who pushed for a no vote need to take a long hard look in the mirror. Almost every constituency has voted yes. Big win for Micheal Martin though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Is abortion the only political issue? Do people not are about anything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I can name several impovereished sh1tholes relative to Ireland instead where abortion is freely available. The poster made an irrelevant point. I think I'd rather live in San Marino than Venezuela. I'm sure you'd feel the same way ;)
    They were actually responding to my post, here is the full and comprehensive list of all countries with abortion laws most comparable to ours:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_law
    Angola, Central African Republic, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Gabon, São Tomé and Príncipe, South Sudan, Egypt, Libya, Lesotho, Djibouti, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Somalia, Iraq, Andorra, San Marino, Lebanon, Syria, Yemen, Lesotho, Guatemala, Honduras, Paraguay, Suriname, Venezuela, Tonga, Tuvalu, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Kiribati, Palau.

You can try and argue that impoverished or backwards countries have more freedom of abortion, but you'll need to include the likes of the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Korea, essentially all of Europe, etc etc in there as well.

spookwoman wrote: »
    QgU9goRl.jpg
    yQW1Zk7l.jpg
    Z3RzcvWl.jpg

Immature post of the year.
    I bet there are yes posters on signposts for gp surgeries and hospitals if you bothered to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,034 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

STB. wrote: »
    The tallies clearly indicate in both their constituncies that neither of their constituents agree with eithers stance on this issue.
    An for the millionth time I'm not saying the No would win those constituencies.

The point is that in those constituencies I would not be surprised if the win % for Yes was lower than the overall national %.

And as a result the TDs in question being far more in touch with their electorate than people think.

There you go

Healy Rae's
    Kerry 58.3/41.7

McGrath
    Tipp 59.1/40.9

Lower than the Average that is coming in right now at 67/32

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Should be treated like all murderers and their accomplices

Dave-megadeth-34668987-182-232.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Jesus wept. I have passed dozens and dozens of yes posters all within a few hundred yards.
    I took them today. Out to waterford airport there is maybe 2 posters on the road then you get this.
    The others passage east and no everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

MadYaker wrote: »
    Any Fianna Fail TDs who pushed for a no vote need to take a long hard look in the mirror. Almost every constituency has voted yes. Big win for Micheal Martin though.

It's can be seen as a big win now for him. But if it had gone the other way he'd be in a spot of bother politically.

Well I've seen some of them stating that they will in no way impede the bills progress. I mean even mattie mcgrath seemed to not be as argumentative as he normally is. He brought up the committee again which I didn't think was relevant.

The one thing I didn't like as a whole over the campaign was during the debates with an audience was the clapping from both sides. I couldn't understand why it was clapping.

Advertisement