Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jastine Valdez found dead. No Ana discussion please. Mod warning post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

You’d have to fear the worst at this point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

So he died in hospital according to the liberal.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gussie28

Guy named on twitter from <snip> 2 kids and a wife

Mod Note:Please do not post identifying information on people!

BTJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭kingofclay

Yeah it's not looking good it has to be said. I feel we are leaving a critical window by which this may have ended on an uplifting note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

well, i would call it a very realistic possibility as opposed to speculation.

That may very well be the case but you are still SPECULATING based on no inside information. Unless you are privy to the investigation anything you say is simply speculation. Don’t know how you can say it’s anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 pokingiris

Spent the last week listening to Crime Junkie podcast, I am a little uncomfortable by how riveted I am by all this.

pokingiris wrote: »
    Spent the last week listening to Crime Junkie podcast, I am a little uncomfortable by how riveted I am by all this.

Well it is fascinating, some guy from Ballybrack living in Bray with no history just randomly decides to abduct a girl on her way home. He ends up staying put in his local area and ends up being shot in the head about 5 minutes from where he grew up. It's eerie to think about. I really expect it will turn out they knew each other. It just doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 pokingiris

kingofclay wrote: »
    Well it is fascinating, some guy from Ballybrack living in Bray with no history just randomly decides to abduct a girl on her way home. He ends up staying put in his local area and ends up being shot in the head about 5 minutes from where he grew up. It's eerie to think about. I really expect it will turn out they knew each other. It just doesn't make sense.

Have you formed any theories yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Was it just him who abducted her or was there anybody else sighted, does anybody know ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

A guy with the same name as the dead guy posted on Facebook 7 hours ago about an article in the Irish Times "Note the car registration...."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Qrt

So he died in hospital according to the liberal.ie

Not to be pedantic but I don't think TheLiberal.ie is the most reliable of sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

DonJose wrote: »
    A guy with the same name as the dead guy posted on Facebook 7 hours ago about an article in the Irish Times "Note the car registration...."

Yeah that's Mark Hennessy of the Irish Times, a fairly prominent journalist...

DonJose wrote: »

Based on a friend in common from the area the guy is originally from plus the presence of two kids in profile I'm guessing it's one of the first searches that appears but 'Mark Hennessy' is like your standard Irish name even in a local area(as evidenced by the poster who knows a MH living in Bray who wasn't the assailant)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Yeah that's Mark Hennessy of the Irish Times, a fairly prominent journalist...

That's a crazy coincidence!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

God i hope they find her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I was hoping to wake to some good news this morn, but no new developments in the news. Am still hoping for this poor girl

DublinLive site has suspects picture up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

I hope it's a photo of the right fella they have as that site is up (down?) there with the liberal.[/quote]
    I hope so too!!! Pic taken straight from Facebook. Imagine if its not him - some poor innocent could get lynched. I hope dublinlive did their homework first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Rte are not extrapolating but saying he's dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Shooting dead the only person who knows where she is.. FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

ebbsy wrote: »

He may have been armed himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

ebbsy wrote:

A well informed comment by an expert who would have handled it better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

What did the Gardai do when the member of the public reported the abduction.
    Did they go to where the woman was last seen immediately.
    I notice they found her phone at daybreak but this was after her parents reported her missing, was she gone for twelve hours by the time the phone was found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Needs Must wrote: »

He had a knife by all accounts.surely the guy who shot him was well trained with fire arms.if they knew it was him and hes armed don't ask questions just shoot him in the legs and keep him alive to get information.
    Surely something like that could have been done.

• Advertisement

I was wondering that too - Irish times said they went to abduction site at first light, so why didnt they go as soon as it was reported?

I was wondering that too - Irish times said they went to abduction site at first light, so why didnt they go as soon as it was reported?

No urgency I would say. Wasn't someone whose car tax was out so not a priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

I agree they lost valuable time. The second report of a woman seen in distress on the n11 was reported shortly after. Earlier on Saturday he was approached by members of the public at Killiney Dart Station. He appeared alone then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭NickD

According to reports he was shot in the arm and head. I don't really see what choice the guards had if he was armed.

Needs Must wrote: »

Well I wouldn't have killed him. Cos that would have been stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

just seems strange in a case of a missing person and the one person that can assist him with that they’d shoot him especially if he was armed with a knife and heavily outnumbered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

He had a knife by all accounts.surely the guy who shot him was well trained with fire arms.if they knew it was him and hes armed don't ask questions just shoot him in the legs and keep him alive to get information.

You may be right but there'll be plenty of time to criticise the Gardai when more details emerge.

Right now people are just filling in the blanks to fit their own preconceived narrative, that the gardai are inept and incompetent etc.

Also its not always a simple zero sum, paper rock scissors situation - gardai had gun and he had a knife so gardai win.

He could have held a knife to someone's neck or a struggle ensued. Who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Yes, surely. I mean obviously. Everyone knows that. Especially us untrained civilians here on the internet.

F*ck sake. It’s not Call Of Duty. Literally dozens of possibilities as to how it went down as if did. They possibly did shoot him in the legs and ruptured a major artery. Could have aimed at a torso and he moved at the same time and took it in the neck. Could’ve brandished any sort of weapon, or what police thought to be a weapon, and left them little choice but to react.

No urgency I would say. Wasn't someone whose car tax was out so not a priority.

Pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

sightband wrote: »
    just seems strange in a case of a missing person and the one person that can assist him with that they’d shoot him especially if he was armed with a knife and heavily outnumbered.

What’s strange is the fact all these apparent rogue Rambos on boards.ie probably commuting to an office somewhere in the IFSC seem to know exactly how they would’ve handled this situation and presumably many more. Lads, go in and tell your boss you resign and go do an aptitude test for the Gardai ASAP, they’re clearly missing you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My next door neighbour when I was young shot someone in the leg 'as a warning' and he hit an artery and he bled out within minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Has it been confirmed that the dead guy driving the Nissan Qashqai?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

Ebbsy don t be a gob****e you don t know how it went down. But you don t need to know do you. Because you are happy to fill all the gaps yourself as you please. Jackass

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Omackeral wrote: »
    What’s strange is the fact all these apparent rogue Rambos on boards.ie probably commuting to an office somewhere in the IFSC seem to know exactly how they would’ve handled this situation and presumably many more. Lads, go in and tell your boss you resign and go do an aptitude test for the Gardai ASAP, they’re clearly missing you.

have you had some very strong coffee this morning? this is a discussion board where people discuss and speculate all sorts, it’s not a f*cking tribunal of inquiry, if you are that wound up over speculation maybe take some time out and if there’s a sedative nearby, take 3. get over yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

The AGS tracked him when he turned phone on.

It's fair to assume they tried to communicate with him via phone once surrounded.

"Word" is they thought he had a gun and she was possibly inside car, dead or alive. Maybe he communicated to this effect. He made some kind of move leaving AGS no option but to act. Maybe it was his chosen way out.

If he was shot inside car, head and arms are most likely targets given protection of the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

The case is reported to Garda re the abduction, its entered in the station notebook / ledger, then the sighting by the motorist is reported, again its entered in the station notebook.

If this wasn’t such high profile they might never make the connection.

If the motorist took a photo / video and wanted to email it to Gardai he cant. The Gardai can’t accept email. Individual Gardai do not have email.

The Gardai are back in the dark ages from a tech perspective. Were the Gardai that encountered the suspect armed with Tazers? If not why not?

Gardai don’t have email, mobile phones or PDA’s, going around in clapped out cars, they are 15 years behind the tech curve being used in other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

But your next door neighbour wasnt a highly trained armed Garda.
    I would like to know what happened when two members of the public made separate reports about this incident.
    It reads to me like not much happened until the woman was reported missing.
    If the phone had been found at the time of the abduction the car could have been tracked and found sooner.
    Teally really hoping she is found alive, she is tiny, 5 ft, I am glad he is dead though but would like her to have been found first.

sightband wrote: »
    have you had some very strong coffee this morning? this is a discussion board where people discuss and speculate all sorts, it’s not a f*cking tribunal of inquiry, if you are that wound up over speculation maybe take some time out and if there’s a sedative nearby, take 3. get over yourself.

Ha ok you’re the one who sounds wound up telling posters to take multiple sedatives and get over themselves. Some people here are literally saying how the Gardai should have handled things despite a)not being there b) not being privy to what happened whatsoever as it hasn’t been released and c) presumably not trained in the slightest.

Irish Times stating that he 'was a sex offender' in their headline now, but no more info in article. Think theyre just throwing anything they hear up !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

The only defence to a headshot is if the kidnapper had the knife close to a member of AGS or a civilian with the certainty of imminent death to the AGS member or the civilian.

The AGS member may be well trained but may not be well "reacted".

Two or more shots at a stand off position while your aggressor is armed with a knife...immediately indicates a panic reaction.

Yes, surely. I mean obviously. Everyone knows that. Especially us untrained civilians here on the internet.

They possibly did shoot him in the legs and ruptured a major artery. Could have aimed at a torso and he moved at the same time and took it in the neck.

multiple news sources saying he was hit in arm and head.

They possibly did shoot him in the legs and ruptured a major artery. Could have aimed at a torso and he moved at the same time and took it in the neck.

multiple news sources saying he was hit in arm and head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Irish Times stating that he 'was a sex offender' in their headline now, but no more info in article. Think theyre just throwing anything they hear up !

Glad I don't have a subscription with them. They seem to churn out articles with clickbait titles every five minutes in regard to these sad cases over the past few days

• Advertisement

The only defence to a headshot is if the kidnapper had the knife close to a member of AGS or a civilian with the certainty of imminent death to the AGS member or the civilian.

The AGS member may be well trained but may not be well "reacted".

Two or more shots at a stand off position while your aggressor is armed with a knife...immediately indicates a panic reaction.

Look, it’s all could’ves and should’ves until we know more. It’s possible that he alluded to a hostage, it’s possible he charged at Gardai armed, it’s possible he moved at an unopportune time, it’s possible that the marksman panicked. There’s a multitude of possibilities. The people saying “well I would’ve done it this way” are the ones I’ve a problem with. If they’re so good, sign them up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement