Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The horrific death of Ana Kriegel

Options

Comments

In my opinion this is a heinous act which has no recent, national precedent. It is off the scale. An atrocity of this nature is not a product of any shortcoming in Irish contemporary society; it is the action of one or more toxic, depraved, abominable individuals who are so far removed from social and moral norms that they can hardly be considered human.

Counselling? Rehabilitation?

Ridiculous, prison for life and throw away the key.

Any futile attempt to "understand" the perpetrator's actions risks creating a new syndrome such as the school shootings in the US which have become a sort of blueprint for a particular type of disconnected, low self esteem male to follow.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/waterford-man-gets-life-sentence-after-being-found-guilty-of-murder-1.2145986
    I was in secondary school with the guy who the above article is about. He was murdered with a block and I won't go into details but he was tortured before he was finally killed.

There is plenty of heinous acts similar to this in the past and there will be again in the future :( Unfortunately there will always be sick fcuks around.

When I hear stories like this I can't help but worry about my own daughter. R.I.P to Ana and hopefully whoever did this is never released from prison.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Give over would you. What parents would ever suspect that their 13/14 year old child would be capable of doing such a thing.

Would imagine they would have been in denial more than anything "My Luke/Johnny/whatever would never be involved in something like this".
    The feeling as you put it all together as a parent of a suspect is unimaginable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I suppose I'm trying to say that society didn't cause this, although it couldn't have happened outside of the societal context.
    Society is mirroring peoples' states of mind rather than shaping them to such a drastic extent that they descend into pure evil.
    I would be traumatised by what you witnessed also but I'm sure you didn't subsequently despair of the world and lose all empathy for others.

I really don't know what your talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Registered Users Posts: 23,398 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

These murderers will just move to another county and continue happily with their lives. Unless they do the same crime once over 18 they can get away scott free thanks to rubbish anonymity rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

pjohnson wrote: »
    These murderers will just move to another county and continue happily with their lives. Unless they do the same crime once over 18 they can get away scott free thanks to rubbish anonymity rule.

I doubt that . Ireland is a very small place. Someone always knows someone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭corner of hells

The kid in the example I gave ended up going completely of his head , multiple suicide attempts , alcoholism , sleeping rough , dysfunctional relationships.

No idea where he is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Not a chance.

such thoughts are usually based on hysterical media reports that people think apply to every situation.

The media will generally only report issues that allow for creation of hysteria. This week is a classic example when you compare the two equally horrific deaths.

If you did a study on square inches of newsprint the Mark Hennessey murder would have multiple times the coverage because it had far more sensationalism attached.

On Ana's murder, with the amount of violence kids are exposed to, its almost surprising this is the first time a death has occurred and you can almost see the defence saying he did not realise his actions would kill her as in the movies they always survive.

As for his parents - a rock and a hard place and something that will affect them deeply no matter what social economic background they are from.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Monumental

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I guess I was referring more to my own school days in the 90's, and not the Christian Brothers or Magdalene Laundry abuses. None of that social media shıte then.

Totally agree ,my daughter was bullied ,threatened ,abused ,and thrown over a six foot wall,she attended a local festival and only for a local pub owner taking care of her she may not be here to tell the tale She was fifteen and her bullies were girls of the same age

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DaveTheLad

Brae100 wrote: »
    The sort of parents who had their child come home covered in blood while knowing there was a missing person investigation ongoing, while their child knew the missing person. Sort of parents who had to wait for the obvious suspects to be traced instead of volunteering information. Are they a skanger family moved out from a council area?

Better skangers than snobs who look down their nose at people. You know nothing about the investigation, give it a rest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Normally, I would completely agree...

However, considering how young they are, it is an absolute certainty that they will be walking the streets again at some point in their life. And probably still young enough to be a danger to the public!

I don't see any judge in this country locking them up for the rest of their life. So perhaps, with that in mind, some rehabilitation efforts might not be the worst idea!?

It's a horrible reality of the soft-touch liberal country we have built...

Part of their punishment will involve rehabitation, it's par if the course , but the emphasis should be on punishment and they should be absolutely aware of this.

We are far too soft on criminals.. You know the system is broke when so many go on to reoffend because their time inside wasn't that bad.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Not a chance.

such thoughts are usually based on hysterical media reports that people think apply to every situation.

The media will generally only report issues that allow for creation of hysteria. This week is a classic example when you compare the two equally horrific deaths.

If you did a study on square inches of newsprint the Mark Hennessey murder would have multiple times the coverage because it had far more sensationalism attached.

On Ana's murder, with the amount of violence kids are exposed to, its almost surprising this is the first time a death has occurred and you can almost see the defence saying he did not realise his actions would kill her as in the movies they always survive.

As for his parents - a rock and a hard place and something that will affect them deeply no matter what social economic background they are from.

I think if Ana's murderer was known, and was a 13 year old, it would be getting more press. Wait till the person responsible is found, that is when sensationalism will kick in.

Regarding the other poor woman, the story really took hold once her killer was shot dead.

I don't think you can compare at this stage. Both are horrific and both have featured heavily.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭juno10353

I believe the suspect/s are known within community but as under 18 they can not be identified in any way. A small community attending school together and living in close proximity will be creating it's own powderkeg of emotions. Easy, for example to know who was missing from school etc. Also neighbours seeing police activity in neighbouring houses. And people knowing who is friends with whom and who is bullying or being bullied. Anas parents have called for restraint and for the gardai to be allowed to be supported and allowed do what's needed. We need to respect this, and avoid speculation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

There was no remorse shown by these thugs, they left her there for 3 days went about their daily life without worrying about getting caught! Rehabilitation my hole!

I find it so upsetting that they left her there for days. mark Hennessy left a note showing more remorse and the location of the body of his victim. That makes these thugs worse than him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

meeeeh wrote: »
    When I was 15 a 16 years old girl was found raped and killed in my hometown. The perpetrator was a local kid from a good family. I knew his mother and his brother, they were normal polite quiet people. Well brother is deaf so a bit quieter than most. There was nothing there to make you feel that boy would do what he did.
    You never know what happens behind closed doors. I think the kid lacked mentorship. Also, if alcohol was a factor, that is yet another reason we ought to consider prohibition in this country. The Irish can`t handle drink, it`s as simple as that. Every time a crime or an accident happens where alcohol was a causative factor, it reminds me of these school shootings in the USA. How many times must it happen before a total ban is brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Omackeral wrote: »
    Mentor doesn’t come into it.
    With respect to the legions who liked this comment, you could not be more wrong. This yerraitwillbegrand type attitude may well explain the state of the nation with its 200,000,000,000.00 euro debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

With respect to the legions who liked this comment, you could not be more wrong. This yerraitwillbegrand type attitude may well explain the state of the nation with its 200,000,000,000.00 euro debt.

Embarrassing. State of that. Irrelevant agenda driven guff.

• Site Banned Posts: 13 Lord Maguire

Did Mark Hennessy have anything to do with this? Are they checking his DNA in case he killed poor Ana?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Don't forget Roy Keane in Saipan too !

Did Mark Hennessy have anything to do with this? Are they checking his DNA in case he killed poor Ana?

I'll repeat my question which I believe is very important to this case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I'll repeat my question which I believe is very important to this case.

No.

No.

How do you know? He is rumoured to have killed before and similarities are there.

No.

How do you know? He is rumoured to have killed before and similarities are there.

Because I know a lot about whats going on in the case. There's a school in shock their students may have killed another. Mark Hennessy wasn't in st Catherine's park, with an adult accomplice attacking a 13 year old boy and then killing a 13 year old girl.
    He's not rumoured to have killed before. Nobody knew his name until last weekend. Few newspaper articles say they'll check into him for the Leinster missing women cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Because they police know who did it and it wasn't him. They are awaiting the DNA evidence to prove it and arrest him.

Mark my words it'll be the 13 year old. No one is buying that mystery men attacked me story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

You can be sure that his DNA will be checked as a matter of course.

Because I know a lot about whats going on in the case. There's a school in shock their students may have killed another. Mark Hennessy wasn't in st Catherine's park, with an adult accomplice attacking a 13 year old boy and then killing a 13 year old girl.
    He's not rumoured to have killed before. Nobody knew his name until last weekend. Few newspaper articles say they'll check into him for the Leinster missing women cases.

You know that for a fact? Hennessy could have gone to the park, saw Ana like he did Jastine and pounced. Nothing says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

You know that for a fact? Hennessy could have gone to the park, saw Ana like he did Jastine and pounced. Nothing says otherwise.

And there is a giant flying spaghetti monster flying in the sky. Nothing says otherwise.

So could I have done that. I live beside the park.
    You could have done it too.
    Do you want a connection?

So could I have done that. I live beside the park.
    You could have done it too.
    Do you want a connection?

A lot of people could have done it. But you can narrow it down to who was in the park at that time. Was he there then? If not, it's not him.

It appears it is already known who the suspect is that killed Ana.

People are just making wild leaps because of two horrendously tragic crimes that happened at similar times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭duffman13

I'd hazard a guess they haveve checked cctv in the area along with Mark Hennessys logs from his sat nav. There appears to be a definitive line of enquiry in motion which doesn't include Hennessy for obvious reasons.

This country is mad, the crimes are heinous enough but people seem to want to have a serial killer added in to make it worse or something. Bizarre

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement