Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,500 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Elmo wrote: »
    I am suggesting that you put it on Three's subs also even though they don't provide a TV or content package. You put the tax across all telecomunications companies across both retail and business bills, that it comes from VAT on those products.

It would pay for both RTÉ, TG4 and the NCO.

There's a large idea to provide better funding to content.

Break RTÉ into 5 parts
    - RTÉ - RTÉ ONE, RTE ONE +1, RADIO 1, RTE GOLD, RTE RADIO ONE EXTRA, LYRIC FM, RTÉ NEWS NOW
    - NTR - RTÉ TWO, RTÉ2 +1, 2FM, 2XM, PULSE
    - TnaG - TG4, RnaG, CnaG's radio services, Irish Film Board Channel, RTÉjr, Cula4
    - Networks and Studio - Donnybrook campus and 2RN
    - National Music Groups - merged with the NCH.

RTÉ to be the national public service broadcaster
    NTR to be run commercially, no funding, sold if possible
    TnaG to be the national Irish Language, Children's and Film Broadcaster

RTÉ and TnaG would support their new output both would get the same amount of funding from the license fee, with no exchequer funding going to TG4 (allowing increase with film (not all in Irish/ majority in English) and Children's programming to gain €20 million each in funding, 40m~ to Irish language content, including radio)

Sound and Vision fund to be run by the IFB 7.5% of the licence fee
    National Music Groups and NCH also get 7.5%

Better services for all.

Interesting proposals for restructuring there, would you consider funding them from direct taxation ?

That way no collection costs and no evasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

elperello wrote: »
    Interesting proposals for restructuring there, would you consider funding them from direct taxation ?

That way no collection costs and no evasion.

No there is already too much political interference with the license fee The BAI and ComReg should set the license fee. Though I am suggesting it comes from VAT on communications/media consumption.

Currently the Minister for Media can set the licence fee, can reduce exchequre funding to TG4 and then give it some of the licence fee to avoid a cut and set the number of minutes of ads on public service broadcasters, and decide on proposed services that RTÉ/TG4 can have. (All have some oversight.).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,500 ✭✭✭✭elperello

No there is already too much political interference with the license fee The BAI and ComReg should set the license fee. Though I am suggesting it comes from VAT on communications/media consumption.

Currently the Minister for Media can set the licence fee, can reduce exchequre funding to TG4 and then give it some of the licence fee to avoid a cut and set the number of minutes of ads on public service broadcasters, and decide on proposed services that RTÉ/TG4 can have. (All have some oversight.).

Perhaps with proper checks and balances put in place to prevent political interference general taxation funding would be a more versatile method.

How much is raised by VAT on communications/media consumption?

Could it be at risk by future changes in the structure of the industry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well as previously mentioned RTE are in need of diversifying the their recruitment pool away from its current status of incest.
    RTE, at this point of time (in the middle of a worldwide pandemic), is a very dangerous institution whose focus will solely be for their own self-preservation, and not on the people who are paying their wages.

They have reached the stage of un-trustworthiness (my word) and unreliability as a source for any reasonable news event. They shape all of their reports to suit their paymasters. (Hint: not the license/tax payer).

elperello wrote: »
    Perhaps with proper checks and balances put in place to prevent political interference general taxation funding would be a more versatile method.

How much is raised by VAT on communications/media consumption?

Could it be at risk by future changes in the structure of the industry?

based on comregs quarterly reports 600m is earned, so up 550m pa???

Checks and balances from the BAI.

Before ye start :) I have no interest in giving RTÉ or any other public service broadcaster all of that 550m, not even half of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Kivaro wrote: »
    RTE, at this point of time (in the middle of a worldwide pandemic), is a very dangerous institution whose focus will solely be for their own self-preservation, and not on the people who are paying their wages.

They have reached the stage of un-trustworthiness (my word) and unreliability as a source for any reasonable news event. They shape all of their reports to suit their paymasters. (Hint: not the license/tax payer).

I remember Ryan Tubridy interviewing the son of Tom Gilmartin, a businessman who had been threatened and asked for bribes by Fianna Fáil politicians. You could see Ryan was uncomfortable questioning the man and didn't really probe deep into the huge allegations being made. Then I remembered that Tubridy is related to several Fianna Fáil politicians. How can he be objective when his relatives likely benefited from corruption?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I remember Ryan Tubridy interviewing the son of Tom Gilmartin, a businessman who had been threatened and asked for bribes by Fianna Fáil politicians. You could see Ryan was uncomfortable questioning the man and didn't really probe deep into the huge allegations being made. Then I remembered that Tubridy is related to several Fianna Fáil politicians. How can he be objective when his relatives likely benefited from corruption?

Tubridy's notoriously uncomfortable when questioning anyone of serious credibility (hence why we see so many Z listers on the show now).

When he did get to interview someone of note (Sean Spicer, Trump's former spokesperson) it seemed like an easy, 'Got 'im!' kind of interview.

Instead, folks were like 'dang, Spicer's kind of a nice guy'... but that particular episode turned into a trainwreck. We had the infamous 'bin' segment...

And when he interviewed Liam Neeson (who has admitted he hates doing interview) and managed to turn him into a villain of the week over comments he made.

Tubridy's notoriously uncomfortable when questioning anyone of serious credibility (hence why we see so many Z listers on the show now).

When he did get to interview someone of note (Sean Spicer, Trump's former spokesperson) it seemed like an easy, 'Got 'im!' kind of interview.

Instead, folks were like 'dang, Spicer's kind of a nice guy'... but that particular episode turned into a trainwreck. We had the infamous 'bin' segment...

And when he interviewed Liam Neeson (who has admitted he hates doing interview) and managed to turn him into a villain of the week over comments he made.

Tub's is bored has been for the last ten years, he's no interest in anything but his pay cheque, like everyone else!

Tub's is bored has been for the last ten years, he's no interest in anything but his pay cheque, like everyone else!

He handled the Majella Moynihan interview rather well. It needed sensitivity, he needed to handle that interview with care, and he did so.
    So I give him props for that.

It also highlighted the fact that he can do interviews, and he can be professional. He just doesn't want to.

He sort of approaches things as 'I'm the most intelligent person in the room'... which he clearly isn't.

If you compare him to Gay Byrne, or Tommy Tiernan, they genuinely listen to their interivewees.
    And they keep that energy for the whole show.

I swear, Tommy Tiernan's interview with Nathan Carter was like something Gay Byrne would have done in his heyday.

He handled the Majella Moynihan interview rather well. It needed sensitivity, he needed to handle that interview with care, and he did so.

It also highlighted the fact that he can do interviews, and he can be professional. He just doesn't want to.

He sort of approaches things as 'I'm the most intelligent person in the room'... which he clearly isn't.

If you compare him to Gay Byrne, or Tommy Tiernan, they genuinely listen to their interivewees.
    And they keep that energy for the whole show.

I swear, Tommy Tiernan's interview with Nathan Carter was like something Gay Byrne would have done in his heyday.

His brother is a consultant in St.Vincent's hospital. I'm sure he feels he need to prove himself in this regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I have to disagree. He was at his usual crap of answering questions himself instead of letting her answer. He focused on the less interesting bits, and missed opportunities to ask interesting questions.

McGaggs wrote: »
    I have to disagree. He was at his usual crap of answering questions himself instead of letting her answer. He focused on the less interesting bits, and missed opportunities to ask interesting questions.

Oh feel free to disagree, you are completely in your own right to disagree.

But that interview needed sensitivity, and you could see it was still a sensitive topic for her.
    So I think he had to lay off the harder questions (it's in the book, so I'm sure she doesn't want to repeat the story).

The questions were absent, but he was sensitive, and when she was getting really upset, he steered things to make sure it didn't upset her.

It was a tricky interview, but he got enough questions to be a decent interview. The sensitivity which he handled it made it a good interview.
    Not perfect, but better than his other ones.

Oh feel free to disagree, you are completely in your own right to disagree.

But that interview needed sensitivity, and you could see it was still a sensitive topic for her.
    So I think he had to lay off the harder questions (it's in the book, so I'm sure she doesn't want to repeat the story).

The questions were absent, but he was sensitive, and when she was getting really upset, he steered things to make sure it didn't upset her.

It was a tricky interview, but he got enough questions to be a decent interview. The sensitivity which he handled it made it a good interview.

I always felt Pat Kenny was better at doing that type of interview.

I always felt Pat Kenny was better at doing that type of interview.

Oh he was. Pat got slagged a lot, back in the day, but he could do the on one interviews. Was Legit really good at sensitive topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The Irish Times has reported last week that ABP have granted planning permission to Cairn Homes to build the 611 apartments on part of the RTÉ Montrose site which is the current home of the RTÉ Radio Centre.

There were about 19 objections lodged against the development including one from Pat Desmond; wife of Dermot Desmond.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Agreed, but it's a low bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,330 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Matmania wrote: »
    Rte doing some survey on how people think of them. Its costing 400k appox. Value for money.

Are you serious? Is there a link to this news report?

fritzelly wrote: »
    Are you serious? Is there a link to this news report?

€450,000 pa, they’ve being spending it every year since 2006. Complete waste of money. Reported in independent last week.

I would hope RTE are gone in 20 years. They've certainly hung around like a bad smell for too long...

But the pessimist in me says they're the government's lapdog, handy to spin positive information when they need it-faster than print or digital media can, and in a much faster dissemination of material.

So no matter what it costs to fund RTE, they'll allow them to keep going-probably with a license fee increase or that 'broadcasting fee' aka a tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,330 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

€450,000 pa, they’ve being spending it every year since 2006. Complete waste of money. Reported in independent last week.

That is frigging ridiculous - funding a survey to see if they are appreciated and if the findings go against them I would be pretty sure they don't release it
    Like the other survey last week or the week before that gave RTE a glowing recommendation
    I'm sure such surveys will be used for more funding without any accountability as to the accuracy or bias of such surverys

When a company has to pay money to justify themselves you know there is something very corrupt about the company

Should be split up without further hesitation and have a purely single tv station providing local programming and a few radio stations funded by the licence fee. Even the number of radio stations they have for such a tiny country is ridiculous

• Advertisement

Anyone rather annoyed by how much RTE keep hyping up the Late Late Xmas show?

They've been doing it since July, at least... are they really struck by how absolutely dreadful their programming has become that they have to hype this up?

They've been doing it since July, at least... are they really struck by how absolutely dreadful their programming has become that they have to hype this up?

Annoyed? Annoyed??

Yes, count me in. In my opinion it is utterly ridiculous. Ryan is trying to turn it into his raison d'être, presumably to carve out his role as the Toyman (adding to his desire to become the Nation’s Conscience in his sermonising on the LLS). The “teasers” on the RTÉ website are cringeworthy. Such as;
    Late Late host Ryan Turbidly has revealed that he already knows what costume he will wear and what song he will be singing on this year’s top secret Toy Show, adding that it will lead to "some goofy looking scenarios".

The annual toy extravaganza is one of the most watched and anticipated shows on Irish television and Tubridy has made it his own since he took over as Late Late host - but this year’s Toy Show comes with the added pressure of coping with Covid-19 and keeping the studio and children safe.

"The children of Ireland have had a tough time of late and they deserve a big night out so we are working our damnest to make that happen."

47-year-old Tubridy, who will begin his twelfth year as host of the Late Late when the show returns to RTÉ One on September 4, said, "I had a costume check last Monday for the Toy Show so I know what character I’m going to be, I know exactly song we’re going to be singing - or `singing’ in my case, I know exactly what the theme of the programme is."

It’s about Ryan. Not the kids. And certainly not the toys!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Toy Show is a misnomer anyway.

The last few years watching it my kids have said "why isn't there more toys on it".

I think Ryan has done well in turning it away from the toys and about the show itself, the music etc. And his own self-created tag of "Toy Man" is going pretty well for him, helped along by his fellow RTE employees.

As for that €400k survey, if its been getting done for many years now, how come this is the 1st time I remember them presenting the data to us in such a high profile manner?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Give RTE some credit...don't forget that if it wasn't for the Toy Show, RTE wouldn't have the Commodore 64 they're using to run the RTE Player
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/2018/1127/1013656-computers-tomorrows-world/

NIMAN wrote: »
    As for that €400k survey, if its been getting done for many years now, how come this is the 1st time I remember them presenting the data to us in such a high profile manner?

The Indo and Mirror reports saw the etenders from RTÉ and reported that RTÉ are looking for a new company to carry out the work. RTÉ possible answered a question from the journalist stating "that this work has been going on since 2006, and really why change?"

I don't think the results are ever released.

A friend of mine is a camera woman in RTE. She herself admits to being a massive beneficiary of the RTE gravy train but she herself admits how self serving and unsustainable it is.

She told me that the camera men and women sometimes refused to go on extra training and as a result RTE had to hire contractors to film events such as the Eurovision at a far higher cost. It's certainly fair to question the salary of presenters, but we also need to look at camera men, producers and all of the other employees and policies of RTE to see where the majority of waste is going.

Unsurprisingly she also told me that a lot of the cameramen and women got hired because of who they knew or were related to. She was an exception in this regard.

A friend of mine is a camera woman in RTE. She herself admits to being a massive beneficiary of the RTE gravy train but she herself admits how self serving and unsustainable it is.

She told me that the camera men and women sometimes refused to go on extra training and as a result RTE had to hire contractors to film events such as the Eurovision at a far higher cost. It's certainly fair to question the salary of presenters, but we also need to look at camera men, producers and all of the other employees and policies of RTE to see where the majority of waste is going.

Unsurprisingly she also told me that a lot of the cameramen and women got hired because of who they knew or were related to. She was an exception in this regard.

Question do they get extra for early morning and late night? And also for June, July & august?

Question do they get extra for early morning and late night? And also for June, July & august?

She got a lot of overtime and mentioned that some of the shooting time was done on very weird hours. There was huge amounts of overtime on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

July? Tubs has mentioned it at least a couple of times a week since January, and almost daily since June.

• Advertisement

July? Tubs has mentioned it at least a couple of times a week since January, and almost daily since June.

I can understand in January, because post holidays come-down.

But June and July is just taking the proverbial P.

It's like he's saying 'stay with us thru this absolute s**Tshow of a program, cos it gets better for one night in December'... but it doesn't.
    And he's been doing that for the last few years, not just recently, with the lockdown.

(Even TV3's Six O'Clock show has had a more varied, and famous, guest list than the LLS).

Advertisement