Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Noticed that too, could.be coz the premiership is back on?

Seems to be geared to the "footy" alright.

Wonder will they have the ads on when Tubrity has the likes of Oisin McConville on the late late.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/atticus-john-delaney-row-came-to-a-head-at-rte-tv9q297pk

Crazy carry on by an RTÉ executive if this story is true, Delaney's pat on the head sounds like something he might do, but to approach him about a minor exclusive given to Newstalk in an era of 24 hour news is completely petty, particularly when at the time RTÉ are losing live sports rights left right and centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Elmo wrote: »
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/atticus-john-delaney-row-came-to-a-head-at-rte-tv9q297pk

Crazy carry on by an RTÉ executive if this story is true, Delaney's pat on the head sounds like something he might do, but to approach him about a minor exclusive given to Newstalk in an era of 24 hour news is completely petty, particularly when at the time RTÉ are losing live sports rights left right and centre.

https://archive.is/4p94H

Link to same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

They are really taking the piss with the RTE 'we tell truth' stuff, 'trust RTE for your news' agenda. There's a bang of a PR company being employed there to promote this sh!t.

You want to tell us the truth RTE?

*Tell us the salaries/fees of everyone in RTE.
    *Tell us how Noel Kelly management has managed to get such a hold of your staff/contractors.
    *Send the RTE investigates crew into Rathkeale and find out what is really going on there.

Just looking for a bit of truth there RTE.

Truth matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Double O Seven

1 year on from RTE announcing "major cutbacks", not one cutback implemented

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well don't be lying now - there was one cutback - the quality

• Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Manning/womanning levels have actually increased on Prime Time, RTE News and Fair City.

Manning/womanning levels have actually increased on Prime Time, RTE News and Fair City.

Eh! Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Eh! Why?

It's been rather odd to say the least-we know, with Fair City, the older members of the cast, as well as those with conditions like Asthma or other lung disorders, are not on set.

So while they're not getting paid their regular fee, RTe should be saving money, somewhat.

Instead, I've seen more new faces on RTE than on other channels. Even Virgin Media haven't taken on as many faces as RTE.

They've even 'revived' some of the children's television, and hired new crews on that too. (Martin's Shed, it's called-I think. I've only seen the ads).

The unfortunate thing is, they probably 'have' made cutbacks, behind the scenes. But the wages of the crew behind the scenes are miniscule compared to folks in front of the camera. So technically, there's no cutbacks.

Apart from fixing the RTE Player (which seems to me to be worse than ever), could one of the tech heads in RTE please solve the endless drop outs from contributors who are on the phone. I’m assuming that only Joe has the “bad line” switch installed, maybe a mischievous mouse is in that studio, playing with it? Well, it’s a suggestion.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yeah there was some doctor in Morning Ireland on my drive in and true to form, the line kept dropping. It would be very rare that i'd be on on a call and it would be breaking up or dropping altogether but in RTE its a daily occurrence.

It's been rather odd to say the least-we know, with Fair City, the older members of the cast, as well as those with conditions like Asthma or other lung disorders, are not on set.

So while they're not getting paid their regular fee, RTe should be saving money, somewhat.

Instead, I've seen more new faces on RTE than on other channels. Even Virgin Media haven't taken on as many faces as RTE.

They've even 'revived' some of the children's television, and hired new crews on that too. (Martin's Shed, it's called-I think. I've only seen the ads).

The unfortunate thing is, they probably 'have' made cutbacks, behind the scenes. But the wages of the crew behind the scenes are miniscule compared to folks in front of the camera. So technically, there's no cutbacks.

Not too sure. Martin’s Shed is that only 5 mins long and it was the only on the air for August.

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    They are really taking the piss with the RTE 'we tell truth' stuff, 'trust RTE for your news' agenda. There's a bang of a PR company being employed there to promote this sh!t.

You want to tell us the truth RTE?

*Tell us the salaries/fees of everyone in RTE.
    *Tell us how Noel Kelly management has managed to get such a hold of your staff/contractors.
    *Send the RTE investigates crew into Rathkeale and find out what is really going on there.

Just looking for a bit of truth there RTE.

Truth matters.

Their Ministry of Truth campaign is truly Orwellian.

Apart from fixing the RTE Player (which seems to me to be worse than ever), could one of the tech heads in RTE please solve the endless drop outs from contributors who are on the phone. I’m assuming that only Joe has the “bad line” switch installed, maybe a mischievous mouse is in that studio, playing with it? Well, it’s a suggestion.....

Wouldn't surprise me if there was a rodent problem at the site. Folks I know who used to work at RTE, especially at their last HQ, said there's a serious issue with rodents at the RTE Dept.
    (And no, this is not a joke aimed at the staff of RTE, I mean actual mice and rats).

Another issue was a leaky roof. Everytime it rained, buckets were swiftly placed around the studio.

Wouldn't surprise me if there was a rodent problem at the site. Folks I know who used to work at RTE, especially at their last HQ, said there's a serious issue with rodents at the RTE Dept.
    (And no, this is not a joke aimed at the staff of RTE, I mean actual mice and rats).

Another issue was a leaky roof. Everytime it rained, buckets were swiftly placed around the studio.

Wouldn't be surprised RTÉ have failed to maintain their leafy D4 offices and studios, the Radio studio looks like its been bombed, I haven't seen such a messy office before, with blinds mis-drawn or not working or on the ground, complete pigsty.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭rightmove

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/cash-strapped-rte-will-spend-450k-to-discover-what-we-think-of-them-39551942.html

"Whoever secures the contract will measure the "general impression of RTÉ as an organisation", its public trust, respect for diversity and "value for money"

perhaps respect for merit might be better

I can't imagine the polling company hired by RTE will be too scathing of RTE.

rightmove wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/cash-strapped-rte-will-spend-450k-to-discover-what-we-think-of-them-39551942.html

"Whoever secures the contract will measure the "general impression of RTas an organisation", its public trust, respect for diversity and "value for money"

Diversity of bloodlines would be a good start

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

Why cant they be honest about it and call it what it is, a t.v tax. Is the V.A.T on TVs not enough money out of our pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

rightmove wrote: »

"Whoever secures the contract will measure the "general impression of RTÉ as an organisation", its public trust, respect for diversity and "value for money"

As someone currently searching for a new job, the amount of companies who mention stuff about diversity and inclusion before anything else is sickening. It has little to nothing to do with ones ability to preform, yet it's front and center for many companies.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

Why cant they be honest about it and call it what it is, a t.v tax. Is the V.A.T on TVs not enough money out of our pockets.

You possibly wouldn't sell enough TV's for it to be enough. The Tax should be taken from your subscriptions. A 6% tax on all broadband, mobile phones and telephony would get you to 200m pa, you might even reduce it down to 2% - 3% if you add all media subscriptions (netflix, amazon prime etc). And also include business it could be 1% of the VAT that is applied. (no refund to businesses on this 1%)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

You possibly wouldn't sell enough TV's for it to be enough. The Tax should be taken from your subscriptions. A 6% tax on all broadband, mobile phones and telephony would get you to 200m pa, you might even reduce it down to 2% - 3% if you add all media subscriptions (netflix, amazon prime etc). And also include business it could be 1% of the VAT that is applied. (no refund to businesses on this 1%)

What do broadband and phones have to do with rte? This tax should be on subscriptions to services that carry rte services (Sky, Virgin TV, eir TV, etc.). Netflix, Amazon Prime and the likes don't carry rte services, and I would argue that people who pay these subs don't consume rte output.

McGaggs wrote: »
    What do broadband and phones have to do with rte? This tax should be on subscriptions to services that carry rte services (Sky, Virgin TV, eir TV, etc.). Netflix, Amazon Prime and the likes don't carry rte services, and I would argue that people who pay these subs don't consume rte output.

I am suggesting that you put it on Three's subs also even though they don't provide a TV or content package. You put the tax across all telecomunications companies across both retail and business bills, that it comes from VAT on those products.

It would pay for both RTÉ, TG4 and the NCO.

There's a large idea to provide better funding to content.

Break RTÉ into 5 parts
    - RTÉ - RTÉ ONE, RTE ONE +1, RADIO 1, RTE GOLD, RTE RADIO ONE EXTRA, LYRIC FM, RTÉ NEWS NOW
    - NTR - RTÉ TWO, RTÉ2 +1, 2FM, 2XM, PULSE
    - TnaG - TG4, RnaG, CnaG's radio services, Irish Film Board Channel, RTÉjr, Cula4
    - Networks and Studio - Donnybrook campus and 2RN
    - National Music Groups - merged with the NCH.

RTÉ to be the national public service broadcaster
    NTR to be run commercially, no funding, sold if possible
    TnaG to be the national Irish Language, Children's and Film Broadcaster

RTÉ and TnaG would support their new output both would get the same amount of funding from the license fee, with no exchequer funding going to TG4 (allowing increase with film (not all in Irish/ majority in English) and Children's programming to gain €20 million each in funding, 40m~ to Irish language content, including radio)

Sound and Vision fund to be run by the IFB 7.5% of the licence fee
    National Music Groups and NCH also get 7.5%

Better services for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

A person who has the most expensive broadband package, subscribes to Amazon, Netflix, disney and Spotify, and doesn't consume any rte media would pay more than someone who only stops watching rte 1 when they get in their car and put on radio 1? Doesn't sound like a fair tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

I had a workmate who worked on the construction of the RTÉ studios as an apprentice in the early sixties,
    All the office furniture was handcrafted mahogany & oak.
    One of the craftsmen installing the furniture was offered a full time job maintaining the furniture as it was prone to swelling & shrinking due to the air conditioning.
    One of his favourite cries on entering an office was to enquire who had the sticky drawers,
    He didn’t last too long!

McGaggs wrote: »
    A person who has the most expensive broadband package, subscribes to Amazon, Netflix, disney and Spotify, and doesn't consume any rte media would pay more than someone who only stops watching rte 1 when they get in their car and put on radio 1? Doesn't sound like a fair tax.

A person with all of that can afford to pay 1% of their VAT they currently pay. I am not increasing the VAT, I am sectioning of some of the VAT to the license, which would not be spend on RTÉ alone.

Everyone pays VAT it could be consider the most unfair tax.

TomTomTim wrote: »
    As someone currently searching for a new job, the amount of companies who mention stuff about diversity and inclusion before anything else is sickening. It has little to nothing to do with ones ability to preform, yet it's front and center for many companies.

It's Tokenism, but for the majority of companies, it's 'proof' they're pushing for diversity. (It means nothing-like the whole 'equal pay' thing, such as when a company comes out with their 'we promote equal pay'. There are laws requiring equal pay. Almost every country has equal pay acts. It's meaningless to state that.)

In reality, it's best person for the job. Companies don't want to lose money, they need someone with skill and talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Apart from fixing the RTE Player (which seems to me to be worse than ever).

This. I wrote to them last week complaining that it's hard to navigate to a specific programme, at a specific time. I cited the BBC iPlayer's 'TV guide' tab as a good example.

Got a reply asking what specific programme I wanted to view, so I replied with video showing News at one as an example and how it was hard to get to this show quickly.

They replied saying I'd been able to view News at one in the video, so didn't know what my issue was and to clear my cache If I'd further issues. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

FionnK86 wrote: »

They replied saying I'd been able to view News at one in the video, so didn't know what my issue was and to clear my cache If I'd further issues. :rolleyes:
    There is zero quality control there.

Then again, RTE are pretty good at clearing our cash ........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

TomTomTim wrote: »

Well as previously mentioned RTE are in need of diversifying the their recruitment pool away from its current status of incest.

Advertisement