Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Elmo wrote: »
    Fair City has an executive producer, she is largely the head of Fair City he may have some oversight but she's been the main person on Fair City for years, I think only his predecessor start to be involved in Fair City when it became Group head of Drama.

Perhaps he is scouting for writers and developing new Drama projects for the next few years. But some how I think COVID will be blamed once production starts again.

If the South Westerlies program is the best RTE can do with their scouting... they need to fire that talent scout.

One episode was all it took to realise that this is woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

If the South Westerlies program is the best RTE can do with their scouting... they need to fire that talent scout.

One episode was all it took to realise that this is woeful.

RTÉ are only interested in co-pros & BBC commissioned scripted drama.

It took them a year to get funding for Finding Joy 2 because the BAI pulled their funding for a second series... that came from Acorn and their head of Drama was ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

if they are "promoting" one side of something, it is because there is no other side to "promote" given one side is factual and the other not, and it is their job to promote the facts and not to be a propaganda machine.

Ha! That's hilarious.

RTÉ are only interested in co-pros & BBC commissioned scripted drama.

It took them a year to get funding for Finding Joy 2 because the BAI pulled their funding for a second series... that came from Acorn and their head of Drama was ....

Ah, had a google...

Was hoping that should would never appear. Huberman's currently expecting sprog number 3, so the show might be delayed.

I know they're only interested in co-productions, and try and make stuff for cheap. But why the hell did they fail to even try with South Westerlies? I have a feeling they're pushing for a Season 2 as well.
    Fat chance. Show is being promoted as set in Cork, but then the interviews on the making of the show are up on the Wicklow Tourism youtube channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Ah, had a google...

Was hoping that should would never appear. Huberman's currently expecting sprog number 3, so the show might be delayed.

I know they're only interested in co-productions, and try and make stuff for cheap. But why the hell did they fail to even try with South Westerlies? I have a feeling they're pushing for a Season 2 as well.
    Fat chance. Show is being promoted as set in Cork, but then the interviews on the making of the show are up on the Wicklow Tourism youtube channel.

Filmed in Wicklow I believe. Why did they need to have it set in Cork?

• Advertisement

McGaggs wrote: »

Yep- Wicklow doubled for Cork, I think Dublin also, and Norway. (As that Irish actresses horrible Norwegian accent would prove. In a show of bad accents, and bad characters, she stood out).

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

Maybe Wicklow would be the easterlies

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭elperello

EmptyTree wrote: »
    It works. I'm not disputing that (although I can see some posters seem to be having issues). But I think we should have aspersions beyond "it works". My biggest gripe is that the news page looks like it's full of cheap clickbait. This is a time we need to have trust in our news sources, it doesn't need subliminal doubt cast on it.
    elperello wrote: »
    I was just trying it out to see how it would work on my laptop and tablet prompted by the complaints above.

I didn't really review the content although in general I do trust RTE as a news source.

I'll have another look at the content and get back to you.

Sorry for the delay replying.

I had another look concentrating on the content this time.

I didn't see anything I would describe as "cheap clickbait".

I saw stuff I wouldn't be interested in and would never click on but that's par for the course on any such website.

I suppose the show biz stuff is there because people like it.

As I said in the other post I trust RTE as a news source and I didn't see anything in the website that would cause me to doubt it.

Link to website - https://www.rte.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,259 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

elperello wrote: »
    Sorry for the delay replying.

I had another look concentrating on the content this time.

I didn't see anything I would describe as "cheap clickbait".

If you look at a lot of the cheap tacky news sites - what look like news articles are actually spammy off site links - that is what the new site looks like

Being a bit of a web developer myself the whole front page looks like a link spamming site - the eye is not drawn to anything, nothing is easy to read (using bold font on everything)
    There is over 50 picture and short text links to articles and nothing else on the page

I could put something better together in a few hours

fritzelly wrote: »
    If you look at a lot of the cheap tacky news sites - what look like news articles are actually spammy off site links - that is what the new site looks like

Being a bit of a web developer myself the whole front page looks like a link spamming site - the eye is not drawn to anything, nothing is easy to read (using bold font on everything)
    There is over 50 picture and short text links to articles and nothing else on the page

I could put something better together in a few hours

I agree, most of the links, beyond the first few rows, look like adds. I wouldn't even read the headline, nevermind click the link.

• Advertisement

I agree, most of the links, beyond the first few rows, look like adds. I wouldn't even read the headline, nevermind click the link.

In fairness to RTÉ unlike some other news site they are not taking material from Smartfeed and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

https://extra.ie/2020/09/15/entertainment/movies-tv/rte-staff-jobs-row-prime-time-host

"RTE is on a collision course with unions over plans to recruit outside talent for the new Prime Time host job.

A well-known national journalist has completed a screen test and is favoured to take the job vacated by David McCullagh who has moved to the Six One News.
    One RTE source said: ‘It’s crazy, with the levels of talent we have, to be bringing someone in from the outside at a time when we’re told we’re in serious financial trouble."

Trouble ahead it would seem. The article also alludes to issues with the recruitment process. Something that has been mentioned in the radio forum particularly.

"Separately, senior management held a crunch meeting with RTE producers yesterday after 50 producers signed a letter protesting about the lack of transparency in the recruitment process"

Will be interesting to see what happens with this.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

PieOhMy wrote: »
    One RTE source said: ‘It’s crazy, with the levels of talent we have

23d95465a10ed3e44460c2e97684dcd088368a64.jpg?mw=600
    Will be interesting to see what happens with this.

Absolutely nothing will happen, apart from all the disgruntled folks getting a top up of some sort, to make this 'issue' simply go away....

One RTE source said: ‘It’s crazy, with the levels of talent we have

15iljh.jpg

Absolutely nothing will happen, apart from all the disgruntled folks getting a top up of some sort, to make this 'issue' simply go away....

15iljh.jpg

External talent will likely be cheaper, of they're paid market rates rather than rte rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

External talent will likely be cheaper, of they're paid market rates rather than rte rates.

Like Duffy, Darcy, Tubbs etc?

Not cheap at all.

sligojoek wrote: »

Not cheap at all.

All those lads were rte hires (Darcy was coming back, he knew the pay scales).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

sligojoek wrote: »

Not cheap at all.

The way it works in RTE is the more useless you are have the more you get paid.

If the had the likes of Andrew Marr he would struggle to get 50k a year.

All those lads were rte hires (Darcy was coming back, he knew the pay scales).

Yeah but they are all still contractors, so, basically external agency guys (the agency just happens to be their own limited company).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Whatever the union says, it's ridiculous to suggest that a heavily state-subsidised body even consider not advertising a high-profile post to external candidates. Either the union is just sabre-rattling to get a concession elsewhere or they're acting on the whims of deluded, institutionalised members badly in need of a reality check.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,028 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I love the phrase "lack of transparency" in the recruitment process.

Show us the transparency in how Lottie Ryan, Zamperelli, etc are recruited.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

mikhail wrote: »
    Whatever the union says, it's ridiculous to suggest that a heavily state-subsidised body even consider not advertising a high-profile post to external candidates. Either the union is just sabre-rattling to get a concession elsewhere or they're acting on the whims of deluded, institutionalised members badly in need of a reality check.

Or, Or, Or .................
    An RTE staff family member was favoured (promised) to get that job.
    It's probably written in the RTE Union book somewhere as a rule.

Just so funny (from an RTE source) .......... "It’s crazy, with the levels of talent we have ...."
    I laughed heartedly at that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

15iljh.jpg

Brilliant! :D

New feature on RTÉ website? 10 top TV picks for Tuesday....

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0915/1165171-whats-on-10-top-telly-tips-for-tuesday-september-15/

Are you really surprised that not 1 of the 10 things is on RTÉ?? (Their even recommending something on Virgin Media......)

Not sure why they need a new presenter for the show. The only thing I can think of is that RTÉ management are the type of people who like to show off.

I'd wonder who the new host is, they'd have to be in newspapers, I don't know of anyone from VM or Communicorp getting ready to jump ship.

But sure here's a hefty fee when we can continue as we are with Prime Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,028 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

ligerdub wrote: »
    Brilliant! :D

Agree.
    AndyBoBandy has won post of the day for me. Maybe even the week.

No opposition speakers following UVDL's SotU address. Though it's largely a bureaucratic speech.

But the way they've framed the Syrian students time in Ireland. No mention of what life was like in her Homeland, but questions about direct provision, and her answers only mention that it was the hardest time & she was with her mother in one room. No mention of before & after her first year in Ireland.

Don't get me wrong DP should be dropped, but the framing of Ireland as bad with a success story seems strange.

No opposition speakers following UVDL's SotU address. Though it's largely a bureaucratic speech.

But the way they've framed the Syrian students time in Ireland. No mention of what life was like in her Homeland, but questions about direct provision, and her answers only mention that it was the hardest time & she was with her mother in one room. No mention of before & after her first year in Ireland.

Don't get me wrong DP should be dropped, but the framing of Ireland as bad with a success story seems strange.

It's RTE.

Remember, they happily paid to show a two (or was it three) part series on Dr Eva, with the underlying element being 'I can't wait to get out of Ireland' from Eva.

Yet she was paid, by RTE, to make this show. And have it shown on Irish TV.

She hates the place so much, but not sad to take the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

As anyone else noticed the increase in gambling ads on rte. Seems to be one in each ad break after 9pm. Its sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

As anyone else noticed the increase in gambling ads on rte. Seems to be one in each ad break after 9pm. Its sickening.

Noticed that too, could.be coz the premiership is back on?

• Advertisement

I think the prevalence of gambling is because people have too much free time on their hands.

The sinister element of that is people don't have much money incoming atm, so will quickly get themselves into debt.

Advertisement