Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

rightmove wrote: »
    apparently she got some big sponsor, or was was it an ok sponsorship deal but bigged up!

Oh you mean like how Lottie Ryan 'bigged it up' that she was stepping into her dad's shoes to host his radio show?

Then the more you read into it, you realised she's just filling in for Jennifer McGuire who's on holiday?

They have the same agent, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

apparently she got some big sponsor, or was was it an ok sponsorship deal but bigged up!

It so they can say the sponsor more than covers their wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭samjames

what about

RTÉ hopes to cash in on Claire Byrne's star appeal with €300,000 sponsorship

and

'I told RTÉ I'd clean the toilets if I had to' - Charlie Bird begged broadcaster to let him work for free during pandemic

I honesty never tune in to any of it at all as theres simply nothing good on it, its total rubbish, the presenters are boring, really bad and Ryan Tubridy tries to be funny and fails every time, Byrne not great, we got presenters thinking they worth a lot more but not worth 1/4 of what they are getting already

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

The new RTE website looks awful is all I can say.

EmptyTree wrote: »

Thank You!

I thought it was just me. The whole site is a mess, and it has issues running on phones and tablets, that I have anyways (the menu button is non-interactive).

It's a bloody mess.

• Advertisement

Thank You!

I thought it was just me. The whole site is a mess, and it has issues running on phones and tablets, that I have anyways (the menu button is non-interactive).

It's a bloody mess.

Very plain, no imagination put into, while it need a refresh it didn’t need this, looks like a free bootstrap template.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

That should be no surprise to anyone.
    Since the RTE Player is still so woeful, I would imagine that most if not all of their tech/web offerings is similarly so.
    They have no sense of quality control with their products, and this occurs because there is no accountability at RTE.

With the multi-millions required to pay for the massive RTE salaries, the country should deem themselves lucky that there is any money remaining for the 'national broadcaster' to provide rudimentary services to the (fee paying) plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭TheDavester

if they cant get the player right, what makes anyone think they can pull off a half decent website

• Registered Users Posts: 17,259 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Elmo wrote: »
    Very plain, no imagination put into, while it need a refresh it didn’t need this, looks like a free bootstrap template.

It probably is a free template they "paid" thousands for

Very cluttered and amateurish

fritzelly wrote: »
    It probably is a free template they "paid" thousands for

Very cluttered and amateurish

Cluttered, not tested on other devices (there are emulators that allow this-online and free to use). IF you have a website, they emulate devices, including the interface, from your iphone to your android, Ipad to Samsung tablet. Oft times, you'll catch an error-anything from font size being too small, to the menu disappearing entirely.

So this is a genuinely crap attempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

RTE are just not up with the programme - they see the money from the licence as theres to spend as they wish,
    it should be tagged to public service broadcast, be it funding domestic productions, in house or outside, it should not be used to fatten up the pay cheques of millionaire "stars" - in an auction with Today FM and Virgin Media.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I don't use the RTE website much but prompted by this discussion I had a look.

Works ok on my laptop and tablet. Didn't try on a phone yet.

Seems to do all I imagine the average user might need.

I like the bright clear home page and had no trouble navigating to different sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

elperello wrote: »
    I don't use the RTE website much but prompted by this discussion I had a look.

Works ok on my laptop and tablet. Didn't try on a phone yet.

Seems to do all I imagine the average user might need.

I like the bright clear home page and had no trouble navigating to different sections.

It works. I'm not disputing that (although I can see some posters seem to be having issues). But I think we should have aspersions beyond "it works". My biggest gripe is that the news page looks like it's full of cheap clickbait. This is a time we need to have trust in our news sources, it doesn't need subliminal doubt cast on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I don't like RTE. In fact I really don't like RTE.

That said I think the website is an improvement in format on the previous one. By that I mean it's an improvement on the layout and presentation.

If only they would cut out the needless and frequent "opinion" pieces with the usual lefty politics such as feminism, LGBT, climate change, BLM/race-issues etc. RTE will only ever promote one side of the narrative on these issues, and no prizes for guessing which sides. As a final cherry on top there's the usual shoe-horn and promotion of any story remotely anti-Trump. RTE is essentially an Irish CNN.

Don't believe me? I've decided to now check the website and pick out stories that fit into the above:

Johnson fails to win over Tory critics of Brexit bill (Brexit)
    Brexit: Boris Johnson, state aid and a 'rushed' treaty (Analysis And Comment)
    3 hidden plastics in your home - and how to replace them (Living)
    Throwing the Book at Trump
    The women who make your safety their business

It works. I'm not disputing that (although I can see some posters seem to be having issues). But I think we should have aspersions beyond "it works". My biggest gripe is that the news page looks like it's full of cheap clickbait. This is a time we need to have trust in our news sources, it doesn't need subliminal doubt cast on it.

I was just trying it out to see how it would work on my laptop and tablet prompted by the complaints above.

I didn't really review the content although in general I do trust RTE as a news source.

I'll have another look at the content and get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

I was just trying it out to see how it would work on my laptop and tablet prompted by the complaints above.

I didn't really review the content although in general I do trust RTE as a news source.

I'll have another look at the content and get back to you.

You really, really love RTE. I cannot say I know many in real-life who share your admiration for this outdated organisation. The two main bugbears I have with them are (a) astronomical salaries out of the public purse for very average presenters, some of whom seem to be there through family connections and (b) left-wing slants on every internationalist topic, from Brexit to Trump to the Middle East, with more government-leaning biases when it comes to Ireland, with a hint of left wing social policy thrown in for good measure. Surely you cannot deny the existence of the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Headline-2.png

DrSerious3 wrote: »
    You really, really love RTE. I cannot say I know many in real-life who share your admiration for this outdated organisation. The two main bugbears I have with them are (a) astronomical salaries out of the public purse for very average presenters, some of whom seem to be there through family connections and (b) left-wing slants on every internationalist topic, from Brexit to Trump to the Middle East, with more government-leaning biases when it comes to Ireland, with a hint of left wing social policy thrown in for good measure. Surely you cannot deny the existence of the above?
    Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    Headline-2.png

Very funny :)

While you are there, what do you think about the new website?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Very funny :)

I've just had a scope there. I don't find it problematic in any way on first perusal.
    It's a bit bland on the header (pass it on).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ligerdub wrote: »

That said I think the website is an improvement in format on the previous one. By that I mean it's an improvement on the layout and presentation.

If only they would cut out the needless and frequent "opinion" pieces with the usual lefty politics such as feminism, LGBT, climate change, BLM/race-issues etc. RTE will only ever promote one side of the narrative on these issues, and no prizes for guessing which sides. As a final cherry on top there's the usual shoe-horn and promotion of any story remotely anti-Trump. RTE is essentially an Irish CNN.

Don't believe me? I've decided to now check the website and pick out stories that fit into the above:

if they are "promoting" one side of something, it is because there is no other side to "promote" given one side is factual and the other not, and it is their job to promote the facts and not to be a propaganda machine.
    DrSerious3 wrote: »

the second one can be denied because it's not the case.
    the first one, unfortunately that is just the media market, where in the odd case some broadcasters think their talent is worth paying a high salary to when in the opinion of others they are talentless. there isn't anything that can be done about that for now.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

if they are "promoting" one side of something, it is because there is no other side to "promote" given one side is factual and the other not, and it is their job to promote the facts and not to be a propaganda machine.

the second one can be denied because it's not the case.
    the first one, unfortunately that is just the media market, where in the odd case some broadcasters think their talent is worth paying a high salary to when in the opinion of others they are talentless. there isn't anything that can be done about that for now.

I rarely if ever hear a centrist on RTÉ. You can have left or a right wing opinion but neither are facts. You can suit the facts to suit your opinion, RTÉ/the media should be able to consider all side to an argument without fear that one side might not consider them woke enough and the other side considering them too woke. (By the way I find that here on boards also). Most are looking on thinking do I have to continue to listen to both extreme of an argument? That isn't balance.

RTÉ pay over 120 people over 100,000 euro per year. 35 over 150,000. It is unlikely that any other broadcast organisation would take any of these people, because the vast majority of broadcasters have less than 250 people working for them. RTÉ have inflated those wages.

For example tell me what show Tubs would present on Virgin Media/TV3? Ireland AM? Tubs? How about Newstalk is there an opening there? Today FM? The Last Word? Perhaps local radio could afford him, iRadio might take him? iS Sean O'Rourke reallying going to bring an audience to Newstalk that they don't already have?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

ligerdub wrote: »

It's just taking the lead from the BBC which perpetually has sop pieces about how a transwoman of colour invented oxygen and defeated Hitler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

RTÉ pay over 120 people over 100,000 euro per year. 35 over 150,000. It is unlikely that any other broadcast organisation would take any of these people, because the vast majority of broadcasters have less than 250 people working for them. RTÉ have inflated those wages.

It's more than 250 they have. I had an idea for a tv show so I went looking for someone to talk to there (Useing the website :)). Page after page of managers of different sections of programing.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Smiles35 wrote: »
    Newstalk needs to be subsidised. The state should buy it. It could be a great Dublin station. Right now all that station is doing is pandering to people who bet on football on their phone, while they wait for add revenue from bookies.

Why would you make it a Dublin only station? What would be the commercial incentive to take it away from 25 counties?

I think NT is going through a bit of an identity crisis. Ger Gilroy has been very entrepreneurial in making OTB a stand-alone entity and outsourcing the sports of all the other DOB stations, along with some others possibly, but NT has become so sports dominated, for most people who work 9-6 5 days a week, it’s almost impossible almost impossible to hear actual news or current affairs outside of breakfast.

The predominance of advertising is probably a necessity driven by the unreasonable level of support they compete with at RTÉ, but the gambling ads in particular feel tone deaf to me. OTB have been quite open talking about difficult issues previously which includes gambling issues, and the repeated ramming down your throats I’d ladbrokes or whoever it is is obnoxious. The other one which grated on me as a rugby fan is/was the non stop “everyone in, team of us” absolute claptrap every 30 seconds during rugby coverage. I’m not quite at the Ewan McKenna end of things, and as much as I’m a massive rugby fan, it’ll never really be a team of us to a huge amount of the country, no matter how much a mobile phone company ram it down our throats

Why would you make it a Dublin only station? What would be the commercial incentive to take it away from 25 counties?

I think NT is going through a bit of an identity crisis. Ger Gilroy has been very entrepreneurial in making OTB a stand-alone entity and outsourcing the sports of all the other DOB stations, along with some others possibly, but NT has become so sports dominated, for most people who work 9-6 5 days a week, it’s almost impossible almost impossible to hear actual news or current affairs outside of breakfast.

I deleted that post as I worked out fairly quickly that RTE and the state would not fund a station where anything could be said. To reply. It's just in my mind that a news station is 'supposed' to be based in an around a city.

Serious funding though. You need the presenters, people to work with the pesenters. Money to pay guests. Overseas you have current affairs stations funded by big compananies. I don't know if we have public company large enough that wants advertising in this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don't like it. It looks like a www.msn.com of old. It's too busy, the old one was way better, cleaner and simple. It seems like as step backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

samjames wrote: »
    I honesty never tune in to any of it at all as theres simply nothing good on it, its total rubbish, the presenters are boring, really bad and Ryan Tubridy tries to be funny and fails every time, Byrne not great, we got presenters thinking they worth a lot more but not worth 1/4 of what they are getting already

I watched the late late on Friday. I wouldn't have tubbs as a presenter if he worked for free. Answering questions for the guests, moving the interviews away from interesting areas and whoever decided to do a bleep test on TV should be sacked.

It's more than 250 they have. I had an idea for a tv show so I went looking for someone to talk to there (Useing the website :)). Page after page of managers of different sections of programing.

I have no really problem with a number of managers looking after different Genres, however when you cut funding to independent productions you should also be cutting down on the number of commissioning editors, your talking about Heads of Genres with vastly reduced budgets with the same wage and with the same number of people on their team. I wouldn't be surprised if the Head of Children's and her two staff members were earning €300,000 in total, 10% of their budget, the same wages that they possible got when their budgets were a lot more substantial. In 2016 RTÉ decided to put Children's content commissions on hold for six months what exactly did those managers do during those six months?

Along with people praising them for quickly getting home school hub up and running, they should be doing this kind of thing anyway, or at least prepared to move content producers to the home school hub, but when you have none you have to scramble and in that scramble you get praised?

I'd love to know what the Head of Drama does, has he had meetings with any script writers and producers over the last six months, in perpetration for when productions can get back up and running, is he developing anything. His appointment seem to come from the fact that he was an executive producer on Agatha Raisin! Okay its because of his association with Acorn TV, who's list of shows are mediocre at best.

I'd love to know what the Head of Drama does, has he had meetings with any script writers and producers over the last six months, in perpetration for when productions can get back up and running, is he developing anything. His appointment seem to come from the fact that he was an executive producer on Agatha Raisin! Okay its because of his association with Acorn TV, who's list of shows are mediocre at best.

It's probably all Fair City for him :). Perhaps some scouting for writers. The others would have their hands out for good ideas.

• Advertisement

It's probably all Fair City for him :). Perhaps some scouting for writers. The others would have their hands out for good ideas.

Fair City has an executive producer, she is largely the head of Fair City he may have some oversight but she's been the main person on Fair City for years, I think only his predecessor start to be involved in Fair City when it became Group head of Drama.

Perhaps he is scouting for writers and developing new Drama projects for the next few years. But some how I think COVID will be blamed once production starts again.

Advertisement