Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eleven Sports - Down to La Liga - hands back Serie A

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I wonder could we see Eir or Virgin here in Ireland go and do a deal with eleven to group the subs together akin to BT/Eir at the moment, would certainly make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭fman

The Uspga has been a bit of a hot potato in recent years but unless I'm misreading something, we're taking about an event in 3 weeks time with no platform or pricing in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

fman wrote: »
    The Uspga has been a bit of a hot potato in recent years but unless I'm misreading something, we're taking about an event in 3 weeks time with no platform or pricing in place.

Will be available online over IPTV initially from what they said and will later launch on other platforms.

Maybe but you're still about no time for testing or promotion unless they try to run the golf as a ppv

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

A twelve month subscription would be a heavy price to pay for a golf fan who had no interest in any of the football, so it may be that it will be run as a PPV (or some sort of “week pass” arrangement that would effectively amount to the same thing, given the Spanish/ Italian football season won’t yet have kicked off).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Can see this bombing.. I would not be suprised if Sky do not allow it on its platform.. People are getting fed up having too many subs to pay, so now to get the likes of La Liga and Serie A you have to pay an extra sub compared to last season, so more money for the same content now spread over 3 providers instead of 2..

Because Sky have both a regulated EPG and CAS tariff, they don’t really have a choice whether or not to allow any channel to use either or both the EPG and CAS (hence you have the likes of eir Sport who are not part of the Sky platform but use both EPG and CAS services). It’s different to a closed system like Virgin, eir, or Vodafone that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭yknaa

It will be interesting to see the pricing structure for this service. Also I wonder if it will be possible to stream the content from a mobile device/app to your television? If not I wouldn't be too interested.

They are pushing the golf as part of a "free" 7 day trial. Online only and no mention that I can see of casting etc. http://elevensports.com/eleven-sports-to-show-2018-pga-championship-for-free-across-multiple-platforms/
    I will admit, there's only so much marketing speak I can read so if there is a mention, I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Chromecasting will come soon. Why they can't have it from launch I don't know.

• Advertisement

Well as any regulars on here would know, "coming soon" is a very flexible idea for broadcasters especially.

As I’ve said before I have this rather novel idea, in this age of streaming over the net, that I’d like to watch my television on this device they used to have called a “television”, which gives me a great picture on a large screen, rather than squinting at a 4.7” Mobile phone or a 9.7” tablet.

So Eleven Sports, without casting support, and with no carriage deals signed with any of the major providers (Sky/Virgin/eir/Vodafone) what are you going to do for me? Maybe I can connect the laptop up with a HDMI cable and a power cable to make sure it doesn’t go to sleep on me, because that right now seems the only way people will get to see one of the major golf tournaments on a TV this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭bren2001

icdg wrote: »
    As I’ve said before I have this rather novel idea, in this age of streaming over the net, that I’d like to watch my television on this device they used to have called a “television”, which gives me a great picture on a large screen, rather than squinting at a 4.7” Mobile phone or a 9.7” tablet.

So Eleven Sports, without casting support, and with no carriage deals signed with any of the major providers (Sky/Virgin/eir/Vodafone) what are you going to do for me? Maybe I can connect the laptop up with a HDMI cable and a power cable to make sure it doesn’t go to sleep on me, because that right now seems the only way people will get to see one of the major golf tournaments on a TV this year.

Assuming app compatibility, Smart TV's or an Android Box / Apple TV would be the obvious way to watch this on a large screen tv. Assuming you've sufficient bandwidth, the picture quality should be HD as well.

My issue isn't with streaming content, it's an obvious way to move technology forward, its that the infrastructure in Ireland is nowhere near ready for this. Dublin is but rural area's have shockingly bad broadband.

It's a strange move by the PGA, alienates some of their core demographic i.e. older less technology literature men.

Let's not forget too that pinning a free trial on a short event with no testing leaves this ripe for overloading during the final round.
    And yes I would agree, I love being able to stream and cast and all but linear is so much better suited for live sports.

This Uspga champ has a chequered recent history and has basically ended up like this after BBC and sky pulled out of negotiations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭Zardoz

fman wrote: »
    This Uspga champ has a chequered recent history and has basically ended up like this after BBC and sky pulled out of negotiations.

Yes ,it seems weird.
    They pulled it from Sky last year as they said they wanted to reach a wider audience and BBC ended up taking it .
    However the BBC showed most of it on the red button as it clashed with the World Athletics in London.

Now Eleven Sports have it ,and they currently have zero viewers in the UK so I cant see how the aim of reaching a wider audience is being achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The best way to watch this on your smart tv seems to be through the facebook app. They are streaming it live (the golf) through that page as well as their own site.

The amount of hassle to go through to see something is becoming an issue.

I wonder is the future of smart tvs going to be on the android platform rather than tvs having their own, especially given the hassle of needing an android phone to cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭lertsnim

A reddit user says the app appeared prematurely on the Google Play Store before being taken down. He says it included pricing
    Pricing will be as follows:

Annual Access €79.99 (Promo price) Includes access to everything Eleven Sports has to offer.

All Access Monthly €8.99 Same as the annual pass but at a monthly rate.

Real Madrid Season Pass €69.99 Access to every single Real Madrid game. Annual price.

Barcelona Season Pass €69.99 Access to every single Barcelona game. Annual price.

PGA Championship Pass €7.99 Access to all 4 days of the US PGA championship.

The app has lots of VOD and also Eleven Sports 1 and 2 live channels. Nothing works yet but i think buying a pass will work for those in UK and Ireland.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/comments/91app6/eleven_sports_ukireland_pricing_leaked/

Interesting approach with the season pass for Real Madrid or Barcelona. I wonder how much the annual pass will be after the promo price increases. Also strange to have a price for the PGA Championships when they will be showing it for free but it looks like PPV of events will be an option for those who don't want to take out a full sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭Zardoz

lertsnim wrote: »
    A reddit user says the app appeared prematurely on the Google Play Store before being taken down. He says it included pricing

https://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/comments/91app6/eleven_sports_ukireland_pricing_leaked/

Interesting approach with the season pass for Real Madrid or Barcelona. I wonder how much the annual pass will be after the promo price increases. Also strange to have a price for the PGA Championships when they will be showing it for free but it looks like PPV of events will be an option for those who don't want to take out a full sub.

Not bad prices ,80 euro for a year is pretty good.

I watch Eleven Sports a bit on Polish tv ,they usually have very good feeds ,HD picture is better than Skys for La Liga.
    I'm not a fan of watching football on an App ,its a poor substitute for a proper satellite feed so hopefully they launch on satellite too.

Hopefully they wont block out the crowd audio like Sky used to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Rumours on Digital Spy that the TV channels could be add-ons with BT, similar to Box Nation, though this is based largely on cryptic comments by Nick Peet (UFC analyst):

https://twitter.com/Peety_Editor/status/1022734748844781569

• Advertisement

Not just UFC, but NBA now confirmed as moving to Eleven. Still appear to be negotiating carriage terms for the TV channels, but expected to be announced this week.

No, no confirmation yet that either is moving to Eleven. It’s been widely reported that BT have walked away from both and that Eleven have won the UFC rights, but there is no news as to where the NBA is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Not just UFC, but NBA now confirmed as moving to Eleven. Still appear to be negotiating carriage terms for the TV channels, but expected to be announced this week.

Only getting rights to around 120 NBA G League games.Thats the NBA's official Minor league.

http://elevensports.com/nba-g-league-and-eleven-sports-announce-new-partnership-to-present-up-to-120-live-games/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Only getting rights to around 120 NBA G League games.Thats the NBA's official Minor league.

http://elevensports.com/nba-g-league-and-eleven-sports-announce-new-partnership-to-present-up-to-120-live-games/

U.K. or Rep of Ireland excluded according to article.

That article is seven months old.

Still appear to be in negotiations eight days prior to launching:

https://twitter.com/ElevenSports_UK/status/1024662017532223488

Well, I remember previous situations where ESPN didn’t do a deal for carriage on what was then Chorus NTL for about a week after they launched and BT Sport only did the deal with the same company, UPC at that point, the day before.

With the internet as a means of distribution the pressure is less. Personally I’d prefer to watch on a TV, but the alternative is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Well I'm glad I can watch Serie A without paying for a bunch of TV channels I don't need

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭batistuta9

prices announced:
    annual €69.99 (£60) - promo
    monthly €7.99 (£6.99)
    pga only €7.99 - 4 days i think :confused:
    https://www.elevensports.uk/packages?type=0

no sign of Real or Barca passes. prices seem fair converted too

looks to online + apps/casting for now. they'll need to test for weeks anyway if they're going on sky, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭bren2001

batistuta9 wrote: »
    prices announced:
    annual €69.99 (£60) - promo
    monthly €7.99 (£6.99)
    pga only €7.99 - 4 days i think :confused:
    https://www.elevensports.uk/packages?type=0

no sign of Real or Barca passes. prices seem fair converted too

looks to online + apps/casting for now. they'll need to test for weeks anyway if they're going on sky, right?

PGA should be free, no?

Advertisement