Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eleven Sports - Down to La Liga - hands back Serie A

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We have a separate thread for all things eir Sport related here. Premier Sports isn’t officially available in Ireland at all, but eir Sport 2 carries all programmes on Premier Sports 1 except for certain GAA coverage for which RTE, TG4, and Sky have rights. Unfortunately it’s a bit more expensive than that, requires you to either have an eir broadband subscription or pay €30 pm or €299 per year if you have a satellite dish and Sky equipment (it’s also available on Vodafone TV for slightly less).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Turtwig wrote: »
    I really don't understand the glee at Eleven's failure. It's basically ensured sky bt et al. Can operate like a cartel and charge extortionate prices for their product. Had eleven succeeded sky and the likes may have had to consider a different pricing model. Possibly not, but at least now we can be assured of the overly expensive status quo remaining.

No.
    What it means is that instead of loada if different subs to watch one sport, 1 will do.
    I'd rather pay one crowd 50 a month than 3 crowds 25 each

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭fman

Want to further confuse the La Liga rights? ITV 4 showing a live game on Sunday night.
    Haven't seen a statement on it yet but have seen mentions elsewhere suggesting 1 game a week.

Strangely, that link now gives me a 404. Still in the listings and being widely reported though.

Edit: Back up here now.here:
    http://www.itv.com/news/2019-02-22/watch-la-liga-live-on-itv4-every-week-until-the-end-of-the-season-starting-with-levante-clash-with-giants-real-madrid/

By the looks of it the problem was that the original story indicated they’d have El Classico. What appears to be the case is that Premier Sports will be able to pick first choice and ITV will then have second choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,373 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I am still confused when it comes to Premier Sports here in Ireland is this part of the Eir package?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I am still confused when it comes to Premier Sports here in Ireland is this part of the Eir package?

AIUI Premier Sports 1/2 are part of a package with Eir Sports 1 as a bonus channel only in N. Ireland. In ROI you just get Eir Sports 1/2 with Eir Sports 2 being a simulcast of Premier Sports 1. However Premier Sports 2 can be viewed if manually tuned in ROI and you subscribe to Eir Sports package.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Great to see football going free to air on ITV4

I agree but other sports with contracts already signed up may mean ITV 4 will not show live some of the La Liga games they might otherwise have shown. I think the following 2 weekends are examples of this with darts and snooker taking precedence over the football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If not on itv4 it may end up on their player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

I agree but other sports with contracts already signed up may mean ITV 4 will not show live some of the La Liga games they might otherwise have shown. I think the following 2 weekends are examples of this with darts and snooker taking precedence over the football.

Real Madrid are live on ITV4 this Sunday, they have also said a weekly highlight show.

Freesports are also showing a lot of top Italian football.

Yes I also agree about contract and Spanish football could end up behind a pay wall next season unfortunately, but for now it can be enjoyed Free to air.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

icdg wrote: »
    Pro14 on Premier Sports 2, Rome derby not currently in schedules, but they’ve promised they’ll show it, NHL on FreeSports the obvious casualty.

Could you please elaborate on that? Rome derby not listed on any schedules but they’ve promised they’ll show it? Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭fman

The live football on TV site is listing the Rome derby for freesports. Whether this is subject to change or not, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

Freesports is no good for me as an Eir Vision TV subscriber. Looks like it will be a streaming option to watch the Rome Derby next week which is a joke.

On the whole Eleven Sports service, I have to say I actually thought very good streaming platform. Nearly every game was available (even other games which weren't live were available later on), and I loved how I could go back and watch full games at any stage. The quality of the streams, the website, and access on any device was also all excellent.

It was their business plan and marketing strategy for the season which was entirely wrong. They spent a fortune on securing Serie A from BT and then banked on securing a deal with a major TV platform to sublet it from them, but that never happened, and so they didn't get as many subscribers as they initially thought (as most people still aren't ready for streaming only), leading them to ditch it halfway through the season. They rushed into it too quick (literally two weeks before the season started) without the proper plans in place and paid the price. It still has a future in my opinion, if done right, and would be a lot cheaper than having to subscribe to multiple, long-term TV deals (which people, like myself, only pay for to get live football anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 60,373 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

AIUI Premier Sports 1/2 are part of a package with Eir Sports 1 as a bonus channel only in N. Ireland. In ROI you just get Eir Sports 1/2 with Eir Sports 2 being a simulcast of Premier Sports 1. However Premier Sports 2 can be viewed if manually tuned in ROI and you subscribe to Eir Sports package.

Thank you for that got them all tuned in now.

Roland27 wrote: »
    Could you please elaborate on that? Rome derby not listed on any schedules but they’ve promised they’ll show it? Where?

On social media, but it’s now scheduled for FreeSports in any event, NHL dropped.
    fman wrote: »
    The live football on TV site is listing the Rome derby for freesports. Whether this is subject to change or not, I don't know.

If there’s anything I’ve learnt about FreeSports it’s that it’s schedule is always subject to change!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Will Eleven Sports be able to stay in business for the remainder of the football season now that the La Liga rights are being shown by Premier/Itv4?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Rome Derby confirmed on FreeSports this Saturday

x4hzk9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Delta2113

La Liga on ITV4 blocked on Virgin Media Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

No problem on Sky.

It’s not on Sky though (in Ireland). It’s on free to air satellite, and you can’t block programmes on a free to air signal.

(Yes, because it will be brought up - Channel 4 and FreeSports have encrypted versions of their channels on the Sky ROI EPG in which individual programmes can be blocked)

When I had what was then still UPC, all sports programmes on ITV4 were blocked. I had thought that had stopped, apparently not.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Dermot224

El Classico Barcelona v Real Madrid. Live on Eir Sport on Sat.
    Girona v RSO on now.

Advertisement