Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

missed long run at wknd, following the novice plan
    doing the dublin half marathon this wknd

not sure if i should run 20k lsr tmoro or just go back to the plan and forget bout the missed long slow run

am conscious i dont have many long runs between now and DCM so not sure if i should try fit it in? hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

It must have been hard for you to hold back so much for the the first half... ;)

I have to admit to feeling a little bit fatigued this week. I was actually feeling pretty good after the 20 miler last Saturday, I finished it well and had no real issues recovery wise Sunday and Monday. Then came the pace run last Wednesday evening, my plan called for 13km at pace but I decided to increase that to 17km to match with the boards plan. I got it done, but for the first time was feeling a bit dead in the legs come the end.

That continued into the 26km on Saturday, again I got it done without any real problems but I was definitely not as lively as I had been the previous week. And again tonight for what should have been a handy 5k, I can do it but there is still that fatigue hanging over me, which means I'm not really looking forward to an 8km pace run tomorrow.

Oh well, harden the **** up I guess. I do feel like I could do with a week off but hopefully this is just the natural effects of months of increasing training.

Did the map show?

No I had no problem holding back. I was totally convinced by the pacing strategy our mentors ordered suggested. There are very few things certain in life but I know 2 for a fact. 1. DCM is a course to be very gentle until at least Castleknock College. 2. Training runs that are 8.xx mins per mile are not for any novices training for a time over 3:30 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

missed long run at wknd, following the novice plan
    doing the dublin half marathon this wknd

not sure if i should run 20k lsr tmoro or just go back to the plan and forget bout the missed long slow run

am conscious i dont have many long runs between now and DCM so not sure if i should try fit it in? hmmm

Are you racing the HM? If not why don’t you add a few miles on beforehand or before and after to make it a long run?

was planning to use the half marathon next sat as an indication of what pacers to stick with at the DCM

could do a few miles afterwards to make it a longer run but still not sure about what to do regarding the long run i had scheduled and missed on saturday gone.. was meant to do 20k last weekend but did not get a chance to run unfortunately hmmm..

i read here before not to chase lost miles but then also that the LSR were important and not to be missed so am not sure what the best thing to do is

• Registered Users Posts: 18,331 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A question. The LSR for week 14 is 32k/20 miles, and the LSR for week 15 is 29k. Then its into the 3 week taper.

Would it be a terrible idea to change that 29k into another 20 miler? Its just another 3km after all, and I do like the idea of having three 20 milers done instead of just two.

Or would that extra 3k be pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things and offer no real extra benefit as opposed to just doing the planned 29k?

• Advertisement

was planning to use the half marathon next sat as an indication of what pacers to stick with at the DCM

could do a few miles afterwards to make it a longer run but still not sure about what to do regarding the long run i had scheduled and missed on saturday gone.. was meant to do 20k last weekend but did not get a chance to run unfortunately hmmm..

i read here before not to chase lost miles but then also that the LSR were important and not to be missed so am not sure what the best thing to do is

Is it the only long run you’ve missed? If so, I wouldn’t be overly worried and I’d just carry on as normal. If you start adding it in to this week, you could increase your miles too much and tire yourself out for both the HM and Training next week.

A question. The LSR for week 14 is 32k/20 miles, and the LSR for week 15 is 29k. Then its into the 3 week taper.

Would it be a terrible idea to change that 29k into another 20 miler? Its just another 3km after all, and I do like the idea of having three 20 milers done instead of just two.

Or would that extra 3k be pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things and offer no real extra benefit as opposed to just doing the planned 29k?

In a purely training sense the extra 2 miles don't make much difference to an 18 week plan. In a psychological sense some people feel the need to do it. I'd see no problem with doing at as long as you're not painfully dragging yourself through the last couple of miles just to get it done.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Is it the only long run you’ve missed? If so, I wouldn’t be overly worried and I’d just carry on as normal. If you start adding it in to this week, you could increase your miles too much and tire yourself out for both the HM and Training next week.

yeah this is the only long run i have missed so might take your advice and maybe also just add a few extra km to the tues/wed/thur runs to compensate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Got my Wave email, 4 it is.

Think it’s probably for the best I’m in a slower wave as I might get carried away elsewhere.

I want a good time but enjoying it and getting around the course without collapsing in a heap are bigger objectives!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Wave 4 for me also. I'm still here just not getting much time to post, I love reading the updates and seeing how you are all progressing.

I'm looking for advice on gels/tabs etc. I have been using Hi 5 tabs (grapefruit) for my LSR but notice that they are upsetting my stomach for days afterwards. Dioralyte & sugarfree lucozade does the same.

Do you think I could get away with just plain water? Bear in mind I'm very slow so I'm looking at about a 6:30 marathon time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Eoineo wrote: »
    Wave 4 for me also. I'm still here just not getting much time to post, I love reading the updates and seeing how you are all progressing.

I'm looking for advice on gels/tabs etc. I have been using Hi 5 tabs (grapefruit) for my LSR but notice that they are upsetting my stomach for days afterwards. Dioralyte & sugarfree lucozade does the same.

Do you think I could get away with just plain water? Bear in mind I'm very slow so I'm looking at about a 6:30 marathon time.

Could you try using bananas? I got a great boost out of one at 8 miles last week.

I’m sure you could. What about bringing some tuc crackers or even getting somebody to give you a pack of crisps.

Could you try using bananas? I got a great boost out of one at 8 miles last week.
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    I’m sure you could. What about bringing some tuc crackers or even getting somebody to give you a pack of crisps.

The High 5 tablets are purely for electrolytes. They do not provide any energy. In all truth they shouldn't cause tummy issues. Similarly sugar free Lucozade sport provides no energy either as it is the sugar/ glucose in the full sugar version that provides the energy. It seems you have 2 issues, firstly that you haven't a fuel source and secondly that your salt/ mineral replacement drinks are upsetting you.

For those of you interested you may find a lot of the questions you will have over the coming weeks were addressed on last years novices thread. Similarly many of the race reports posted post DCM may highlight things people feel they did well or badly which you may pick up a few tips from. Here's the link. It's probably best if you skip through it to this time last year.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103439464

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Ok, so it looks like dopey here got his midweek runs mixed up. Forgot that today should have been 4m PMP with 5 x 100m strides but did 4m easy instead.:o

I'll just swap around today's run with Thursday's. That sound ok to the mentors?

coogy wrote: »
    Ok, so it looks like dopey here got his midweek runs mixed up. Forgot that today should have been 4m PMP with 5 x 100m strides but did 4m easy instead.:o

I'll just swap around today's run with Thursday's. That sound ok to the mentors?

Not a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

Eoineo wrote:

During the hot weather in June I ended up with heat stroke/dehydration (running too much and not enough fluids d'oh) i went to the health food shop and got a bottle of sports electrolyte fix by viridian. Basically it's a concentrated bottle of salt, it contains chloride, magnesium, sodium and potassium. You add a couple of drops to water and sip away. There is no taste off it whatsoever and as it contains none of the other bad stuff in lucozade etc it should be very easy on the stomach. You could add some to water and carry it with you for the marathon or I'm not sure how doable this is but if you could find a small bottle ( ie a miniature shot bottle springs to mind ;)) you could add it to the bottles on the course.

Hope that helps! Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

Eoineo wrote:

During the hot weather in June I ended up with heat stroke/dehydration (running too much and not enough fluids d'oh) i went to the health food shop and got a bottle of sports electrolyte fix by viridian. Basically it's a concentrated bottle of salt, it contains chloride, magnesium, sodium and potassium. You add a couple of drops to water and sip away. There is no taste off it whatsoever and as it contains none of the other bad stuff in lucozade etc it should be very easy on the stomach. You could add some to water and carry it with you for the marathon or I'm not sure how doable this is but if you could find a small bottle ( ie a miniature shot bottle springs to mind ;)) you could add it to the bottles on the course.

Hope that helps! Best of luck.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    The High 5 tablets are purely for electrolytes. They do not provide any energy. In all truth they shouldn't cause tummy issues. Similarly sugar free Lucozade sport provides no energy either as it is the sugar/ glucose in the full sugar version that provides the energy. It seems you have 2 issues, firstly that you haven't a fuel source and secondly that your salt/ mineral replacement drinks are upsetting you.

Yep sorry if that was confusing. I do have a separate fuel source. I got all the names mixed up and I am using Zero tabs for electrolytes. That is what has been upsetting my stomach. It's not the energy I'm concerned about; it's the electrolytes.

Admittedly it's not upsetting my stomach during a run - it's the evening and day afterwards that has me in a jock. I've tried shorter runs without and I don't have the same reaction.

I see @Helenasca has suggested a Viridian electrolyte mix so I am going to pick that up today and see how it settles with my stomach.

Yep sorry if that was confusing. I do have a separate fuel source. I got all the names mixed up and I am using Zero tabs for electrolytes. That is what has been upsetting my stomach. It's not the energy I'm concerned about; it's the electrolytes.

Admittedly it's not upsetting my stomach during a run - it's the evening and day afterwards that has me in a jock. I've tried shorter runs without and I don't have the same reaction.

I see @Helenasca has suggested a Viridian electrolyte mix so I am going to pick that up today and see how it settles with my stomach.

https://yurielkaim.com/homemade-electrolyte-drink/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭kittyclaws

Hello! Just checking in. I’m still in Croatia, getting very little running done (5m Monday & 6m this morning), seriously struggling with all the crap food in my system (and cocktails, beers, shots...)
    I’m home on Friday, I have a number for the race on Saturday but I think all i will manage is an LSR pace. I am getting a lift to the park so I can’t do any extra miles either side of the race, should I add more miles on Fri/Sun to compensate?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I've been trying to find out a bit about the electrolyte issue myself, having never taken anything. I'm just re-listening to a podcast with a researcher who reckons if you salt your food and eat well in the run up to the marathon, there's no need to take any kind of electrolytes. Sounds like you may have a new solution anyway but just in case that doesn't work you might be grand without them altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭happyfriday74

IS the wind supposed to have passed by this evening?

Need to get out for a run but its crazy out and trees are falling down everywhere? If its still as bad as it is now after work I might have to pass

Need to get out for a run but its crazy out and trees are falling down everywhere? If its still as bad as it is now after work I might have to pass

Gone by 1 o'clock as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rossi7

There's always a treadmill ;)

For safety I'd hold off until after 4pm but it's due to ease off considerably by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭racersedge

Same boat as yourself. On weather watch and hoping the midlands will be fine by the time I get in for five. The only thing is I have an 8K route that loops nicely around the town. Just mind your pace! I started Monday with every intention of doing an easy run. But sure the wind pushed me a lot the first klick that it became my paced one!! Ultimately though, just judge it as the evening goes on and play it safe need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Planning a run home from work this evening so I'll be holding on to my cap for dear life!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Hoping to get a run in too, but it's not just wind to watch out for. Power cables, fallen trees etc.... Be careful everyone!!!!!!

• Advertisement

coogy wrote: »
    Planning a run home from work this evening so I'll be holding on to my cap for dear life!!!!

Make sure that cap isn't blocking your view of falling objects!! Hopefully it will have died down by then.

Advertisement