Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

After a 10 day absence i finally laced up the runners this evening. The medical advice was 7 to 10 days off but the longer the better. I initially planned to go with 7 but to be honest my motivation was not there. Party due to the fear of finding out that DCM 2018 was over and partly due to sheer laziness.
    Decided to run it at a local athletic track as i thought it would be safer and possibly put less pressure on the leg.
    Started off nice and easy.
    There was definitely a bit of tenderness for the first k but to be honest it was one of many little niggles. Think they were just the legs loosening out after their long rest.
    Felt good after the k and upped it a bit. Threw in a few strides here and there to make sure all was ok.
    Must say i had almost as much of a buzz after todays 5k than i had after my 20 milers. The sense of relief and joy that i was back in the game.
    It was probably a good eye opener.
    You have to respect the pacing in the training in order to make it to the start line without getting injured.
    In my first post in this thread i said it was my biggest fear. I definitely did not do myself any favours over the last few weeks. Ran almost every training run quicker that what i should have and it nearly ended up biting me in the ass!.
    Anyways. Plan is to still go ahead with the half the weekend and just tootle around at my ease. Had accommodation booked so didnt want to pull out.
    Have been following all of your runs over the last week and a half. Great to see everyone going so well. Must admit it was hard at times to see ye all clocking up the miles while being laid up though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Payday today so I finally got my hands on a new pair of running shoes, a few pairs of Hilly socks and a sachet of Tailwind to try out this weekend.

Now officially broke. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

coogy wrote: »
    Payday today so I finally got my hands on a new pair of running shoes, a few pairs of Hilly socks and a sachet of Tailwind to try out this weekend.

Are these your Marathon shoes? Just wondering if anyone has any golden rule of how much wear they should get before the big day? I haven’t bought mine yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Are these your Marathon shoes? Just wondering if anyone has any golden rule of how much wear they should get before the big day? I haven’t bought mine yet!

Yes, these will be ''the ones".

I'll be breaking these new ones in over the next week or so. Will start by wearing them for some of the shorter easy runs as well as wearing them in around the house.

Once I feel that I've become fully accustomed to them, I'll be wearing them throughout the next 5 weeks or so, right up until the big day and beyond. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,331 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

For me shoes need to be well broken in before I wear them in a race, you can't be taking risks with footwear if you want good finishes, sore feet will destroy you in something like a marathon.

I'm no shoe doctor, but your marathon shoes would need have been tested on at least one of your long runs, a couple of short runs aren't enough. I have had new shoes feel fine after a few 5k or 10k's, but gave me trouble when I pushed past that to longer distances. Big difference between 25 minutes pounding the street and 2/3 hours...

If planning for DCM I would be buying the shoes right now, breaking them in midweek and then using them for at least one of the remaining LSR's. Thats just me though, perhaps others are less cautious and would buy new shoes during the taper, but I just think that its not worth taking chances with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

For me shoes need to be well broken in before I wear them in a race, you can't be taking risks with footwear if you want good finishes, sore feet will destroy you in something like a marathon.

I'm no shoe doctor, but your marathon shoes would need have been tested on at least one of your long runs, a couple of short runs aren't enough. I have had new shoes feel fine after a few 5k or 10k's, but gave me trouble when I pushed past that to longer distances. Big difference between 25 minutes pounding the street and 2/3 hours...

If planning for DCM I would be buying the shoes right now, breaking them in midweek and then using them for at least one of the remaining LSR's. Thats just me though, perhaps others are less cautious and would buy new shoes during the taper, but I just think that its not worth taking chances with.
    Ordered shoes on Tuesday, should have them Saturday or early next week. Hearing this advice, glad I didn't wait any longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Ordered shoes on Tuesday, should have them Saturday or early next week. Hearing this advice, glad I didn't wait any longer!

I've worn my DCM shoes on my last 2 LSR's. Had broken them in on short stuff in the weeks previous, and will wear them on my remaining LSR's, plus on 1-2 short runs over the remaining weeks. Whether I'm right or wrong I don't know, but it made sense to me. I've another new pair that I've only worn around the house to date, which I will gradually break in over the next month, in case of a DCM emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

If your ordering the same shoes you already wear then there is no need to break them in as your feet are used to said shoe. If your buying a completely different model or brand that you are not used to some breaking in maybe required.

Edit: My definition of breaking them in is not wearing them around the house, of course you need to put some miles into new shoes before racing in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

OOnegative wrote: »
    If your ordering the same shoes you already wear then there is no need to break them in as your feet are used to said shoe. If your buying a completely different model or brand than you are not used to some breaking in maybe required.

Delighted to read this as payday for me is next Friday and I won't be buying my DCM shoes until then. I'll be buying the same model as I've got now.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

coogy wrote: »

Oh I know, the cost really adds up when you've a few bits to buy. At least you're all kitted out now.

I'm not buying my shoes until next week and I'm only allowing myself do that as I worked an overtime shift last week to pay for them so the money won't come out of the "family purse". The guilt is mad. If my husband or our boys needed something I'd hand over the cash without a second thought.

• Advertisement

https://pricespy.co.uk/

Great search tool to find the cheapest current price for your shoes if your buying online and know what your looking for.

If your ordering the same shoes you already wear then there is no need to break them in as your feet are used to said shoe. If your buying a completely different model or brand than you are not used to some breaking in maybe required.

I have to strongly disagree.

I once had a pair of Asics Kayano's, loved them and wore them out. Bought another pair at Amphibian King, did less than 20km total and had to return them, they destroyed me and I had muscle injuries appearing everywhere. Swapped them for another pair of Kayanos and that 3rd pair did fine.

Same with a pair of Brooks I had, loved the first pair, got a 2nd pair and they weren't nearly as well fitting. Had 2 pairs since and it was a mixed bag again, one good and one bad.

Imagine I had been wearing that first pair of Kayano's for all my training, then bought the 2nd pair and wore them for DCM without breaking them in? I would would have been a "did not finish" no question about it.

Of course models of shoes are supposed to be very similar but it is not an exact science, all shoes need breaking in.

I once had a pair of Asics Kayano's, loved them and wore them out. Bought another pair at Amphibian King, did less than 20km total and had to return them, they destroyed me and I had muscle injuries appearing everywhere. Swapped them for another pair of Kayanos and that 3rd pair did fine.

Same with a pair of Brooks I had, loved the first pair, got a 2nd pair and they weren't nearly as well fitting. Had 2 pairs since and it was a mixed bag again, one good and one bad.

Imagine I had been wearing that first pair of Kayano's for all my training, then bought the 2nd pair and wore them for DCM without breaking them in? I would would have been a "did not finish" no question about it.

Of course models of shoes are supposed to be very similar but it is not an exact science, all shoes need breaking in.

That’s your opinion and your more than entitled to it, in my experience I have never had any need to break in shoes of the exact same make & model and know plenty of runners who feel the same.

That’s your opinion and your more than entitled to it, in my experience I have never had any need to break in shoes of the exact same make & model and know plenty of runners who feel the same.

My other opinion is that people running their first marathon shouldn't be told that they don't need to break in their new shoes.

My other opinion is that people running their first marathon shouldn't be told that they don't need to break in their new shoes.

And just because you had some bad experiences of your own doesn’t mean you have to try scare people into breaking them in. Last piece of advice i’ll impart here. Might see some of ye on DCM day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

And just because you had some bad experiences of your own doesn’t mean you have to try scare people into breaking them in. Last piece of advice i’ll impart here. Might see some of ye on DCM day.

B, I'd be more than delighted if you reconsider that. Your advice on here has been excellent and greatly appreciated. More of it would be brilliant over the next few weeks :)

I remember researching this last year but can't now find the articles I came across at the time. I do however remember that the consensus was that ideally shoes should have 50-100 miles of wear pre marathon.

Speaking from experience this year I would concur with what has been said about shoes of a different brand or model. I bought a pair of Adrenalines recently with the intention that they would be my marathon shoes. A couple of easy short runs had me falling in love with them. Then I wore them in Ratoath HM and ended up with a small blood blister. No worries, I'd just have to get used to them. Sadly a further long run and a tempo run resulted in water blisters at the same point on my foot. It's back to the shops....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Hmmm, been doing a bit of googling and most articles I find suggest that 50-100 is the ideal number of miles to have in a pair of shoes pre-marathon. Enough miles to have them softened up, but still have their cushioning properties intact. Based on that I guess I'll be using my new pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭racersedge

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Hmmm, been doing a bit of googling and most articles I find suggest that 50-100 is the ideal number of miles to have in a pair of shoes pre-marathon. Enough miles to have them softened up, but still have their cushioning properties intact. Based on that I guess I'll be using my new pair.

Based on that mine are well over the hill then! :pac::pac::pac:

racersedge wrote: »
    Based on that mine are well over the hill then! :pac::pac::pac:

I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Shoes may be at their optimum within that window but it doesn't mean they are not well capable of being effective for your marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Would agree with all of this. Same happened me with Nike Pegasus. Actually bought them both the same day as Elverys had a buy 1 get second one half price sale. Put one pair on top of wardrobe and only wore them when the other pair was knackered. That first pair were probably the best pair of runners I've ever owned. Put nearly 900 miles on them.
    Second pair were just not the same as the first pair even though they were the exact same model, even the same colour! Same thing as you I had muscle injuries everywhere, only used them for about 100 miles when I just had to stop wearing them.
    I think it's great advice for anyone that they really need to break in their new runners before a Marathon, even if they are the same model as your previous pair.
    Just bought another pair of Pegasus there recently,well actually the newer model and they are fine so far. Have done about 60 miles in them and will use them for the Marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

ewc78 wrote: »
    Would agree with all of this. Same happened me with Nike Pegasus. Actually bought them both the same day as Elverys had a buy 1 get second one half price sale. Put one pair on top of wardrobe and only wore them when the other pair was knackered. That first pair were probably the best pair of runners I've ever owned. Put nearly 900 miles on them.
    Second pair were just not the same as the first pair even though they were the exact same model, even the same colour! Same thing as you I had muscle injuries everywhere, only used them for about 100 miles when I just had to stop wearing them.
    I think it's great advice for anyone that they really need to break in their new runners before a Marathon, even if they are the same model as your previous pair.
    Just bought another pair of Pegasus there recently,well actually the newer model and they are fine so far. Have done about 60 miles in them and will use them for the Marathon.

Interesting thing about the Pegasus for me too - bought a pair of 34s here earlier in the year, love them, amazing! Had worn the 32s and 33s also. When I was on holiday, I spotted a pair of 34s for 70 quid and thought that was way too good an opportunity to pass up. Wore them for a hike and they cut my heels!!! Have tried them on since and they feel way too tight... So I investigated the labels. Both say UK4 alright.. but one has that as 37.5 in european size, and the newer pair are only 36.5 !!! Identical otherwise. So strange.

Just bought a pair of 35s this week actually but not sure if I'll bother break them in for DCM. The current pair are grand.

I missed my run tonight due to an awful, awful migraine. I was due to do 6 easy with strides.
    My weekend plan is a few very gentle miles Sat and a 10 mile race on Sunday (will be attempting at race pace). 
    Should I bother try get those 6 in tomorrow morning? Or just leave it? The main target is DCM, which has me thinking if I can fit the miles in, I should?

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I missed my run tonight due to an awful, awful migraine. I was due to do 6 easy with strides.
    My weekend plan is a few very gentle miles Sat and a 10 mile race on Sunday (will be attempting at race pace). 
    Should I bother try get those 6 in tomorrow morning? Or just leave it? The main target is DCM, which has me thinking if I can fit the miles in, I should?

By race pace for the 10 mile do you mean 10 mile race pace or marathon pace?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    By race pace for the 10 mile do you mean 10 mile race pace or marathon pace?
    10 mile race pace.

10 mile race pace.

Leave it...2/3 really easy miles at most. The 10 mile race will be a great session.

10 mile race pace.

Leave it...2/3 really easy miles at most. The 10 mile race will be a great session.
    Thanks S. I did think it might not be needed but I worried I was giving myself an easy out!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

I remember researching this last year but can't now find the articles I came across at the time. I do however remember that the consensus was that ideally shoes should have 50-100 miles of wear pre marathon

That sounds like a solid guideline, better go shopping! What’s everyone’s choice of marathon shoe? I’m looking at the adidas solarboost

I’ll row my head back on the shoes debate, I got the wrong end of the stick and thought bucketybuck implied you needed to wear a new pair runners around the house before running when he meant you need to put miles into them before using them to run a marathon which of course he is right about. I certainly wouldn’t advise anyone to run a marathon in a pair of runners straight out of a box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

My physio advised me recently to wear a pair of runners around the house for a few days, then walk a bit in them, then start running in them, but above all to get a couple of long runs in them.
    But sure we all know what part of you anatomy an opinion is like!
    I have found runners which work perfectly for me and I am debating buying another pair of them before they change them, which they do all the time.
    I was glad I didn't have to run last night! Didn't see too many brave souls out, maybe common sense prevailed! :)
    Good luck with the LSR's over the weekend. Either 17 or 18 miles for me.

Advertisement