Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Had to cut my 16 mile lsr short after 12 miles this morning. Most of the run I felt strong apart from the last mile. My heart rate was way too high for a lsr and it was climbing despite my slowing down. Then I started to struggle to catch my breath. I was probably panicking then too which didn't help. So I cut the run short.
    When I got home I had white salt dried on my face but I had drank lots on the run. I shouldn't have been dehydrated.
    Anyways its a miserable feeling. Last week I was glowing from my 20 miler and today I couldn't do 16.... I'm doing something wrong...

You are not doing something wrong, definitely not in terms of training anyway. You were sick and also you need to sort those Potassium levels. Yes, there may have been some head games going on and a bit of panic but that’s normal too and to be fair you need to listen to your body at the moment. Honestly don’t worry about not finishing the run. It’s only 4 miles you didn’t get done. You did do 12. I think your priority now is to recover so you can get back on track.

By the way, I was well hydrated and had salt on my face too this morning from earlier on than I expected too.

Feet up now for the rest of the day, maybe watch a movie and chill out!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Kellygirl wrote: »
    You are not doing something wrong, definitely not in terms of training anyway. You were sick and also you need to sort those Potassium levels. Yes, there may have been some head games going on and a bit of panic but that’s normal too and to be fair you need to listen to your body at the moment. Honestly don’t worry about not finishing the run. It’s only 4 miles you didn’t get done. You did do 12. I think your priority now is to recover so you can get back on track.

By the way, I was well hydrated and had salt on my face too this morning from earlier on than I expected too.

Feet up now for the rest of the day, maybe watch a movie and chill out!

Thanks Kellygirl, I really appreciate your kind words and advice both here and on the Strava group. You're spot on with the head games. I guess I did do 12 miles. All I could think of was what I didn't do.

Well, I have my feet up here, and my guys are taking good care of me. I'll be fine. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Thanks Kellygirl, I really appreciate your kind words and advice both here and on the Strava group. You're spot on with the head games. I guess I did do 12 miles. All I could think of was what I didn't do.

Well, I have my feet up here, and my guys are taking good care of me. I'll be fine. Thanks again.

That's understandable - and something I think we're all guilty of. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Had to cut my 16 mile lsr short after 12 miles this morning. Most of the run I felt strong apart from the last mile. My heart rate was way too high for a lsr and it was climbing despite my slowing down. Then I started to struggle to catch my breath. I was probably panicking then too which didn't help. So I cut the run short.
    When I got home I had white salt dried on my face but I had drank lots on the run. I shouldn't have been dehydrated.
    Anyways its a miserable feeling. Last week I was glowing from my 20 miler and today I couldn't do 16.... I'm doing something wrong...

Being sick definitely effected you but look at it this way, you are not near 100% and you were just short of doing a half marathon. Think of how far you have come that you feel disappointed at "only" running 12 miles.
    You will be flying when ya have fully recuperated.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Sorry to hear you're having a hard week. This salt thing actually happens me a lot...... I never thought it was something to worry about. I thought it just meant I was sweating? It means you're losing sodium though so perhaps take some salt in?
    Hope you're feeling better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you're having a hard week. This salt thing actually happens me a lot...... I never thought it was something to worry about. I thought it just meant I was sweating? It means you're losing sodium though so perhaps take some salt in?
    Hope you're feeling better.

Meant to add that as you get fitter you start to sweat more as your body is adapting. So perhaps it's a positive sign :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Applegirl I had an awful run this morning, and I did the exact same one, same route and everything, a few weeks ago and felt great. Sometimes that's just how it goes! Annoying but definitely don't be feeling bad about yourself or like you did anything wrong. You're doing the work and it'll pay off, but bodies are weird and sometimes they just feel like crap despite your best efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Meant to add that as you get fitter you start to sweat more as your body is adapting. So perhaps it's a positive sign :)
    Really?? :eek: Never knew that! I've definitely noticed it recently but I was blaming it on the hot weather over the summer. Except it's not hot anymore... :pac:

Being sick definitely effected you but look at it this way, you are not near 100% and you were just short of doing a half marathon. Think of how far you have come that you feel disappointed at "only" running 12 miles.
    You will be flying when ya have fully recuperated.

You know, I never looked at it like that. Back in June I'd never ran further than 10 miles and that was a HUGE big deal to me at the time. Thanks Comic Book Guy.

Thanks Hedgehoggy. Yup I might be over reacting about the salt on my face. Its just that I thought I was well hydrated and by losing sodium it might cause my potassium to climb even higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I have to agree, that is a dangerous strategy.

Its like driving a car and ignoring the warning lights until it runs out of fuel and cuts out. Its been chugging along for the last few miles, picking up dirt from the bottom of the fuel tank and running like crap, now its finally gave up and you need to find some fuel and then bleed the system.

Nobody wants that so they keep the fuel tank topped up above a minimum. Why do any different to your body?

I never gave it much thought if Im honest, i used a few on the long runs coming up to the DCM last year and on the day itself. I see your POV and it appears Ive been wreckless when using the gels.

My next LSR is tomorrow where Ill attempt 14 miles, maybe Ill use my gels differently tomorrow. Thanks guys

eyrie wrote: »
    Applegirl I had an awful run this morning, and I did the exact same one, same route and everything, a few weeks ago and felt great. Sometimes that's just how it goes! Annoying but definitely don't be feeling bad about yourself or like you did anything wrong. You're doing the work and it'll pay off, but bodies are weird and sometimes they just feel like crap despite your best efforts.

Thanks eyrie. That's it, exactly. I'm giving this training my absolute all, I truly am and this week it's like my body has given up on me.

But I trust the plan. Its just a set back. When I'm running that final mile in DCM I won't even remember days like today, I hope.

Sorry for all the posts, I don't know how to do multiple replies in one post.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

Thanks eyrie. That's it, exactly. I'm giving this training my absolute all, I truly am and this week it's like my body has given up on me.

But I trust the plan. Its just a set back. When I'm running that final mile in DCM I won't even remember days like today, I hope.

Look after yourself, you were right to listen to your body. Shows how well you’re doing when only 12 miles is a bad day at the office !!

It will make it all the sweeter!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Applegirl26 I had the same thing a few weeks ago, had to stop my 14 mile at 10. It was just a bad day, and I've felt fine since on my LSRs. Back on the horse next week.
    Just to share what I found during my LSR today, 16 mile, in case anybody finds any of it useful.
    My hydration strategy of looping back to the car or home is working really well. It means I don't have to stop in a shop for water. Saving money and time!
    I took energy gels at 6 and 11 miles, washed down with water and felt fine. The High 5 berry flavour are really nice I think.
    I also took a banana on board at just under 11 miles, it worked a treat.
    I also took an ibuprofen tablet at the same time as the banana, I remember somebody I knew taking one during a marathon when I did my first one so I said I'd try it.I'm not sure if it was a placebo or not but felt between all of the above additions I felt great throughout and definitely felt less sore and tired than after the 15 miles last albeit (albeit that was without gels, banana, etc!!).
    Getting there!

Not a good idea to take ibuprofen before or during a marathon. You could damage your kidneys. Be very careful what you take. You are putting your body under enough pressure as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Just do what I do......look back and be amazed at what you've achieved so far. We've all covered huge distances that we probably never thought we'd be capable of so it's only natural that at some point your body is going to pull a face and say "HEY! WHAT GIVES???"
    You can look upon this as a setback but that's all it is and setbacks are easily overcome. Come October 28th we'll all be raring to go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

coogy wrote: »
    Just do what I do......look back and be amazed at what you've achieved so far. We've all covered huge distances that we probably never thought we'd be capable of so it's only natural that at some point your body is going to pull a face and say "HEY! WHAT GIVES???"
    You can look upon this as a setback but that's all it is and setbacks are easily overcome. Come October 28th we'll all be raring to go!!

Exactly this! And mile 10 of a run on a week where you haven't been feeling great, where you climbed 117 feet, is just the place where the body said "What gives?"

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Not a good idea to take ibuprofen before or during a marathon. You could damage your kidneys. Be very careful what you take. You are putting your body under enough pressure as it is.
    OK thanks for the advice! Won't be doing it again so!

Applegirl26 I had the same thing a few weeks ago, had to stop my 14 mile at 10. It was just a bad day, and I've felt fine since on my LSRs. Back on the horse next week.
    Just to share what I found during my LSR today, 16 mile, in case anybody finds any of it useful.
    My hydration strategy of looping back to the car or home is working really well. It means I don't have to stop in a shop for water. Saving money and time!
    I took energy gels at 6 and 11 miles, washed down with water and felt fine. The High 5 berry flavour are really nice I think.
    I also took a banana on board at just under 11 miles, it worked a treat.
    I also took an ibuprofen tablet at the same time as the banana, I remember somebody I knew taking one during a marathon when I did my first one so I said I'd try it.I'm not sure if it was a placebo or not but felt between all of the above additions I felt great throughout and definitely felt less sore and tired than after the 15 miles last albeit (albeit that was without gels, banana, etc!!).
    Getting there!

Great tips there incensitive, thanks. Be careful with the ibuprofen when you run.

• Advertisement

Great tips there incensitive, thanks

Just ignore my one about ibuprofen!! Apart from that its sound enough!

Thanks Coogy and Skyblue.
    You're both spot on. I'll get through this. As it is I feel raring to go this morning and I'm in work doing overtime. Typical!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭racersedge

Back to the grindstone for me today. It has been five days since I last ran so I've been itching to get back to it. I feel that the combination of the time off and having the physio check-up helped this morning as I went out and did a 22K run around the local countryside. Definitely felt at the end of it that I could have pushed on but I resisted the temptation. The wife might of killed me anyway as she was cooking breakfast!

So it was a good positive run and definitely made up for the chosen decision to miss out one of my mid-week runs because of my graduation. That said, having spent the weekend in Belfast, hindsight showed me that a gentle run through the city would have more than possible. It's rather a quite city, even in the morning to lunch time. I got back last night and got out for my LSR this morning. Things get quite compressed for me this week. I have my brothers stag on Saturday so I need to get my LSR in early Saturday morning. That means I need to compact the three mid-week runs to get everything. Chomping at the bit for that one given the trials and tribulations that I had when I went for 29K last week and get over that hump!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I was going to go for the world record in DCM, all my training was geared to a 2.02 marathon but annoyingly Kipchoge has now went faster than that and messed with my plans.

Is it too late in the plan to change my PMP to 2.52 min/km? Or should I let it go and revert to my plan B of 4 hours?

I was going to go for the world record in DCM, all my training was geared to a 2.02 marathon but annoyingly Kipchoge has now went faster than that and messed with my plans.

Is it too late in the plan to change my PMP to 2.52 min/km? Or should I let it go and revert to my plan B of 4 hours?

Try everything once......don't be afraid of change, embrace it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Well that Berlin Marathon was something else, the pace is mind boggling really.

I got 18.5 miles done this morning, very lucky that the weather cleared up as it was pretty wild last night. I think this morning was my best long run ever, felt really strong the whole way and pushed it for the last few miles. Massive confidence boost, really feel the months of hard training are starting to pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

Learned some tough lessons today..

I ran the JJ Reddy Half Marathon in Danesfort, Kilkenny. The original plan was to run at PMP so based on my most optimistic calculations would be a 3:40 marathon, 1:50 half. I planned to stick to the 1:50 pacer and have a very comfortable race.. but I got too confident! In the build up to today (based on MP training sessions) I thought I might be able to get closer to 1:45, maybe break it and be really set for the 3:40 goal. So I decided to stick with the 1:50 pacer for the first 5k (after hearing feedback that this was the hardest section) and then push the pace myself from there.

I was up early to watch Kipchoge and I made a promise - if he does it today, then I’ll do what I set out to too! Haha I cycled out to danesfort which was more uphill than I thought, and I’m not a cyclist! I was using my 14 year old sisters pink mountain bike with no gears so I was sweaty and nervous when I arrived. The setup was impressive! Music blaring, lots of tents offering all kinds of things, stewards everywhere. I rented a locker and quickly threw my things in and went for a 2km warm up around the pitch before running to the start line.

So I did as planned, stuck with the 1:50 pacer for 5km and then pushed on.. anyone that follows me on Strava can see the pace picked up for that km and then dropped! I had been feeling great with the pacer and contemplated sticking with him but I didn’t want to come away with anything less than my best so I pushed past him and tried to get a good bit away but my calves just seized up! I had multiple stitches which pulled my body down, I was too warm from the get go (where did that weather come from?!) Around the 5th mile I gave up mentally, the goal was out of reach and I felt like there was no point finishing, I decided I was done.. but I didn’t know where I was! So I had no choice, I kept going with the plan to drop out if the loop brought me close to the club. After awhile I knew this wasn’t going to happen, I would finish the race but after mentally giving up, the motivation was gone.. my legs were not moving the way I wanted, even on downhill sections, I kept getting stitches here and there, and I was miserable!

I changed the goal to sub 1:55, which looking back now was a great idea because it gave me something reachable to aim for.. and I did it. My time was 1:54:18 (my PB before was 1:58:26) so it wasn’t a complete loss. Also, if anyone’s bothered checking the elevation on my Strava, you could certainly say it was a factor!! I crossed the finish line and to my surprise my parents were there to congratulate me and had brought the van to bring me and the pink bike home! I also must give a special mention to the goody bag, packed full of treats including a full pack of biscuits :)

Plan now is to reevaluate my MP.. I’m thinking of going with 3:50 pacer (I work well with a pacer (zone out and not freak out about times) and if all comes to all, drop off and break 4. Lesson of the day: remember to appreciate the fact that I’m training for a marathon and hopefully will complete it, that’s amazing in itself. I got wrapped up in fast times! Sorry for the long moany post, I’m actually happy I got the kick up the bum needed to relax and enjoy this whole mental amazing thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

So here we are 6 until Dublin Marathon and the World Record just got even harder to break :(

A special mention to one of our group who ran a fantastic evenly paced marathon this morning - well done Huzzah, you did brilliant!! I'm sure she'll share some tips with you all when she's had a chance to recovery ;)

Well done to every one on this week's work. It's amazing the runs you are now completing. Don't panic if you found the long run tough this week (or the long PMP session). Honestly we all have bad runs - i always tell myself that those are the runs that really count!

I know i don't need to remind you guys that you are all knocking out big mileage now and need to ensure you're eating well and sleeping/rest as much as you can do to let your bodies recover! When you do these big runs or monster sessions you are depleting your various fuel systems and causing microscopic tears in your muscle tissue. It's actually the process of repairing these microscopic tears that makes us stronger so neglecting to take sufficient rest/recovery pace running after monster sessions and neglecting to refuel properly means you won't get the full benefit of the session you did :eek:

So the week ahead is a big one for those of you racing the Dublin Marathon!! I believe there will be pacers at the HM on Saturday so this is an opportunity to practice running with a pace group for anyone who is thinking that it might suit them for the big day itself.

Two plans for the week ahead

1. If you are doing Dublin City Half Marathon
    Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun
    NNH1|rest|4m easy|6m easy|rest|rest|DC HM|rest
    Boards|3m easy|4m with 5 x 100m strides|rest,cross or 3m rec|rest,cross or 3mrec |2m easy|DC HM|2m rec

2. If you're not doing Dublin City Half Marathon
    Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun
    NNH1|rest|4m easy|6m easy|4m easy|rest|15m LSR|cross
    Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|4m PMP with 5 x 100m strides|8m easy|4m easy |rest,cross or 3m rec|18m LSR|3m rec

For anyone who is doing the HM but not intending to race it all out then i suggest you do a blend of the 2 options above - but let us know your plans and we can give individual advice in this case!

Best of luck to everyone racing at the weekend! Give it socks! And to everyone else best of luck with the LSRs. Have a good week folks - just think in 6 weeks times you're going to be a marathon runner ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

6 weeks!! Where does the time go 😵

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Such a weekend! Triple stag for three of my friends in Westport. I said feck it I'm getting the running done because I have weddings coming up in the next 6 weeks that will also clash with long runs. I hope I am not going to get devoured on here I'm aware I was pushing it and risking injury. I got away with it thank God.

Friday was a rest day so no run, Friday night feed of pints.
    Saturday Up at 7.30 to stretch then go for 8 mile run. Got lost on the way back so ended up being 9.5miles. then off to climb Croagh Patrick followed by an hour and a half of 5 aside soccer, albeit I was walking around like a pensioner and refusing to chase the ball.
    Saturday night added in diarroalytes sporadically between pints. Very little sleep. Finished the fry at 11.30 and decided to chance doing the 20 miles run before the train at 3.45pm. started at 11.49. headed out the greenway with the intention of running 10 miles out and 10 miles back to make sure I finished it. Carried a 1 litre bottle of water for a change. Pace was extremely erratic, few 9.30/mile mixed with some 10.20/miles. Took a gel at 6 miles and 12 miles. Legs felt heavy enough from 6 miles. Bought 2 x 500ml bottles of club energize at 12.5miles. felt a bit like puking after all the sugar as I drank about 700mls of this over 3 miles.
    Knew I would get a mental boost at 14 miles as I have a thing in my head that 6 miles is my routine recovery run so when it's 6 miles left I feel like I can kick on. Pace steadily sped up as I was feeling good and wanted to make sure I had time for a shower before the train. Last 2 miles were probably too fast, basically raced them I guess but it was a mental battle. 8.17/mile and 8.13/mile. Finished with an average pace of 9.40/mile over 20.39miles. made the train with 15mins to spare but it was awful having the legs squashed in the seat after such a long run.

Overall amateurish training but it has given me an enormous mental boost, if I am stubborn enough to manage my first 20 miler today after that weekend and finish it strong I am excited to see what I can do with a taper and not having drank a feed of pints and had 3-4 hours sleep two nights in a row.

Advertisement