Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

OOnegative wrote: »
    Did you give a possible finishing time at registration? Only thing I can think of.

Yes, I'm sure that's probably what it was. At the time of registration, a 4 hour marathon was more than likely my goal

RayCun wrote: »
    It's based on the expected finish time you chose on registration. What time do you expect to run? Are you planning on following the pacers?

I'm going for a 3:45 but am sort of flirting with a 3:30. As for the pacers, it would have been my plan to at least keep them in my sights but not have to depend on them too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

coogy wrote: »
    I'm going for a 3:45 but am sort of flirting with a 3:30. As for the pacers, it would have been my plan to at least keep them in my sights but not have to depend on them too much.

I guess you could be a bit disappointed but at the same time unless you had a plan to attach yourself to a pace group then it's not a huge problem. Your half in Ratoath showed an excellent ability to control your own paces. It'll be something similar again, target a time and stick to your paces until you are close enough to the end to decide whether you can kick on a bit. I'd say you won't have a problem.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I guess you could be a bit disappointed but at the same time unless you had a plan to attach yourself to a pace group then it's not a huge problem. Your half in Ratoath showed an excellent ability to control your own paces. It'll be something similar again, target a time and stick to your paces until you are close enough to the end to decide whether you can kick on a bit. I'd say you won't have a problem.

Thanks S. Yes, I am still confident of managing my pace successfully.

Don't worry, I'll have caught up with them by the end of the first mile.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

coogy wrote: »
    Thanks S. Yes, I am still confident of managing my pace successfully.

Don't worry, I'll have caught up with them by the end of the first mile.......:D

You will have to manage the pace yourself alright as your target is between two pace groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

Just saw on twitter someone else wasn’t happy with wave and DCM replied to email office@dublinmarathon.ie

You will have to manage the pace yourself alright as your target is between two pace groups.

His target is way faster than any of the pace groups in his wave B. He could be running along the quays as Wave 3 leader! Garda outriders and the whole shebang. No pressure! :pac:

Just saw on twitter someone else wasn’t happy with wave and DCM replied to email office@dublinmarathon.ie

What wave did you get C?

What wave did you get C?
    Haven’t gotten email yet, presume I will soon..

What estimated time did you give on the registration form?

• Advertisement

What estimated time did you give on the registration form?
    3:40 so hopefully wave 2

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Check your spam folder, everyone seems to be getting them today

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

I put 4:30 down as my hopeful time and I'm in wave 3 😯
    I was expecting to be in the last wave, I still might roll out with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

I didn't get an email. Did everyone else? Should I be concerned?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Wave 3 for me- where I should be. It does feel a bit more real when you see the email

I put 4:30 down as my hopeful time and I'm in wave 3 😯
    I was expecting to be in the last wave, I still might roll out with them.

No don't. It really doesn't make a difference except you'd be getting to the pub 30 mins later. Stick to your pacing and everything will be fine. The last wave is for 5 and 6 hour finishers. That won't be you! Thanks

Helenasca wrote: »
    I didn't get an email. Did everyone else? Should I be concerned?
    I didn’t yet, but they put up on their Facebook to keep an eye on your emails in the coming days as they’ll be sending them out, that was half an hour ago so wouldn’t panic

No don't. It really doesn't make a difference except you'd be getting to the pub 30 mins later. Stick to your pacing and everything will be fine. The last wave is for 5 and 6 hour finishers. That won't be you! Thanks

Thanks skyblue.
    I'd be lost without the guidance and advice of this thread!

Thanks skyblue.
    I'd be lost without the guidance and advice of this thread!

Hopefully it helps. The secret is sticking to your plan and not getting sucked into a fast pace early on. We'll deal with that closer to the day. For now get the training done and look after the health. How's you?

Hopefully it helps. The secret is sticking to your plan and not getting sucked into a fast pace early on. We'll deal with that closer to the day. For now get the training done and look after the health. How's you?

Thanks, I'm good. Day 2 today without running which feels very strange and wrong. My mileage this week is woeful. On the bright side my nausea has eased and my heart rate has behaved itself today with only a few spikes. I'll be heading out tomorrow for this week's lsr. Dying to get back out there but I'll be sensible, don't worry.

• Advertisement

I didn’t yet, but they put up on their Facebook to keep an eye on your emails in the coming days as they’ll be sending them out, that was half an hour ago so wouldn’t panic

Would hate to be doing all this training for nothing and find out I'm not registered lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Tried an isogel for the first time the other day, actually quite nice!

Would Wiggle be the best place to buy a box of them?

corcaigh07 wrote:

corcaigh07 wrote:

Or try amazon and use parcel motel if its free postage in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Tried an isogel for the first time the other day, actually quite nice!

I just bought another box of powergels from there yesterday, free shipping and the best price I could find around. Never had any problems in the past ordering from them.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pilot1087

Ok ok ok....point taken on going much slower on the LSR.

A much more pleasant experience this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

20 miles done and dusted this morning and a few more lessons learned!

Set off just after 7 in ideal running conditions. No problem with the gels this time around. Took one at mile 6 and the other at mile 11, was sceptical enough of using a cola flavor one but it was actually really nice.
    My lesson learned from today was when ya are dropping off your water bottle in it’s safe place after a loop, don’t drop it from a height! It bounced off the ground and into a ditch, had to get down on my hands and knees and reach through briars to get it second time around!
    Happy with my pace throughout although the last 2 miles I was starting to feel it.
    Nice confidence boost to get into double digits where the first number begins with 2. Off to the pool later with the kids so looking forward to some decent stretching!
    Again thanks to everyone in the thread for their stories, it does actually act as a motivation tool to keep going when the going gets tough during the long runs to be able to make your own update entry.

20 miles done and dusted this morning and a few more lessons learned!

Set off just after 7 in ideal running conditions. No problem with the gels this time around. Took one at mile 6 and the other at mile 11, was sceptical enough of using a cola flavor one but it was actually really nice.
    My lesson learned from today was when ya are dropping off your water bottle in it’s safe place after a loop, don’t drop it from a height! It bounced off the ground and into a ditch, had to get down on my hands and knees and reach through briars to get it second time around!
    Happy with my pace throughout although the last 2 miles I was starting to feel it.
    Nice confidence boost to get into double digits where the first number begins with 2. Off to the pool later with the kids so looking forward to some decent stretching!
    Again thanks to everyone in the thread for their stories, it does actually act as a motivation tool to keep going when the going gets tough during the long runs to be able to make your own update entry.

Well done, no harm in feeling it in the last two miles, the legs will be stronger the next time around from the experience.

Had to cut my 16 mile lsr short after 12 miles this morning. Most of the run I felt strong apart from the last mile. My heart rate was way too high for a lsr and it was climbing despite my slowing down. Then I started to struggle to catch my breath. I was probably panicking then too which didn't help. So I cut the run short.
    When I got home I had white salt dried on my face but I had drank lots on the run. I shouldn't have been dehydrated.
    Anyways its a miserable feeling. Last week I was glowing from my 20 miler and today I couldn't do 16.... I'm doing something wrong...

Had to cut my 16 mile lsr short after 12 miles this morning. Most of the run I felt strong apart from the last mile. My heart rate was way too high for a lsr and it was climbing despite my slowing down. Then I started to struggle to catch my breath. I was probably panicking then too which didn't help. So I cut the run short.
    When I got home I had white salt dried on my face but I had drank lots on the run. I shouldn't have been dehydrated.
    Anyways its a miserable feeling. Last week I was glowing from my 20 miler and today I couldn't do 16.... I'm doing something wrong...

Don’t be so hard on yourself, you weren’t feeling well during the week that is bound to impact on your run even with the few days you took off. You got 12 done which is better than nothing at all. Every marathon training cycle has bad runs, you just had one of those today. Leave it now and move on.

• Advertisement

Don’t be so hard on yourself, you weren’t feeling well during the week that is bound to impact on your run even with the few days you took off. You got 12 done which is better than nothing at all. Every marathon training cycle has bad runs, you just had one of those today. Leave it now and move on.

Thank you OOnegative, I appreciate your kind words. As the saying goes, tomorrow is another day eh...

Advertisement