Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Its probably been mentioned, but if you are aiming for a time, don't use 26.2 miles as the distance as you'll most probably run longer than that.

Use 26.4 or 26.5 miles and work your pace by that.

Personal experience of being under my time at 26.2 miles with the finish line still a couple of hundred metres away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Bib No.|Username|Target Time|Actual Time
    |Mr. Guappa|03:59:59|
    |coogy|03:45:00|
    |Helenasca|04:40:00|
    |roosterman71|03:50:00|
    |kittyclaws|04:50:00|
    |sann|03:40:00|
    |Summerflower|04:29:59|
    |Chippyrun|04:30:00|
    |Themadhouse|04:29:59|
    |Aoifemcc19|04:45:00|
    |Chabsey|03:15:00|
    |imknackered|03:28:00|
    |tbukela|03:38:00|
    |Naked Lepper|04:15:00|
    |yido1882|03:59:00|
    |cullenswood|03:29:59|
    |ReeReeG|03:49:30|
    |Bucketybuck|03:59:99|
    |Pilot1087|04:40:00|
    |Strawberry Swan|04:30:00|
    |Applegirl26|04:40:00|
    |aloooof|04:25:00|
    |hedgehoggy|03:43:30|
    |Misky|04:45:00|
    |Alorra|03:40:00|
    |Dealerz2.0|04:15:00|
    |Buzwaldo |04:10:00|
    |AdrianII |03:59:59|
    |Comic Book Guy |03:26:00|
    |The man in red and black |03:45:00|
    |Rossi7 |03:54:59|
    |eyrie |03:57:30|
    |Clibee|04:40:00|

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Its probably been mentioned, but if you are aiming for a time, don't use 26.2 miles as the distance as you'll most probably run longer than that.

Personal experience of being under my time at 26.2 miles with the finish line still a couple of hundred metres away.

1+ to that
    I doublechecked my Garmin from 2014 and 2015 and both were 42.5Km (26.4 Miles), so allow for another minute or two to your finish time if you are close to wire for a target time. I think that they measure the 'racing line' for 26.2, cutting the bends etc, where most of us will probably go down the middle of the road in a large herd...

The extra .2 of a mile will probably be spread over the entire race (my theory anyway) so if you are on target at the Halfway point then it shouldn't really have a big bearing on things....but worth noting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Can we claim the 26.2 time instead of the chip time in such circumstances :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Can we claim the 26.2 time instead of the chip time in such circumstances :pac:

If you can live with yourself!

• Advertisement

If you can live with yourself!

I did a Half Marathon PB in the Ferns HM (great race BTW) a few years ago and my Garmin showed 21.09 Km's not 21.1 Km's and my mates wouldn't 'allow it' as an official PB........the fookers :pac::D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Rossi7

I think the bottom of alot of Novices have fallen out reading that and pace bands thrown out the window. Memo to the Novices of 2019 . ALWAYS READ THE SMALL PRINT a marathon is 26.4 or 6 or 8 ish

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Best of luck on Sunday everyone. I completed the DCM in 2016 with a lot of help from this mentoring thread. It's a brilliant/exciting/hard/painful/joyful day that you will remember forever. The training is done now and you're all set, enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Is anyone else feeling incredibly lethargic this week? I'm constantly tired, literally all day.
    Anyone else the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭chabsey

Is anyone else feeling incredibly lethargic this week? I'm constantly tired, literally all day.
    Anyone else the same?

Not me! I've loads of energy, I don't know whether to run around or do something else energet.... zzzzzzzzzzzz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

Anyone else the same?

I am absolutely wreckedddd. I’m scared. I hope I will rejuvenate by Sunday. Having the hardest unavoidable week of long daysssss. Didn’t think it would affect me so much. Just trying not to panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Anyone else the same?

Yes definitely having moments this week where I've felt exhausted. We will be fighting fit by Sunday though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Checking in here to wish you all the very best of luck on Sunday. Focus on enjoying your day, get a good run in, and finish Dublin Marathon like a hero.

Dublin Marathon is a superb event. I'm pacing 3:20 on Sunday - DCM was my first marathon back in 2008 and will be my 39th marathon/ ultra, 7th Dublin and 4th time pacing Dublin. It holds its own against any other race I have done and there is a feeling in the air, the sights, the sounds, the smells, that will live with you long after Sunday. Every time I get to toe the line in DCM, I count myself very lucky.

To the earlier point on pacing splits - last year we (3 x 3:20 pacers) ran 26.42 miles. Our average Garmin pace per mile was c.7:33, vs 7:37 if you went strictly to 3:20. Part of this was finishing 30 seconds under the 3:20 goal time aswell, but the point stands - think of 26.4-26.5 miles for your pace bands.

I'm not sure if many/ any of you will be running with me, gunning for 3:20, but nonetheless may I wish you a safe, enjoyable, and tremendous experience. Trust your training. Unless it's been a disaster - in which case don't trust it... just hope for the best. Take it all in... Enjoy it... Savour it... Might see you in the pub afterwards too :cool:

JK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Aiming to get under 3.30 if somebody could add me to the table please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Bib No.|Username|Target Time|Actual Time
    |Mr. Guappa|03:59:59|
    |coogy|03:45:00|
    |Helenasca|04:40:00|
    |roosterman71|03:50:00|
    |kittyclaws|04:50:00|
    |sann|03:40:00|
    |Summerflower|04:29:59|
    |Chippyrun|04:30:00|
    |Themadhouse|04:29:59|
    |Aoifemcc19|04:45:00|
    |Chabsey|03:15:00|
    |imknackered|03:28:00|
    |tbukela|03:38:00|
    |Naked Lepper|04:15:00|
    |yido1882|03:59:00|
    |cullenswood|03:29:59|
    |ReeReeG|03:49:30|
    |Bucketybuck|03:59:99|
    |Pilot1087|04:40:00|
    |Strawberry Swan|04:30:00|
    |Applegirl26|04:40:00|
    |aloooof|04:25:00|
    |hedgehoggy|03:43:30|
    |Misky|04:45:00|
    |Alorra|03:40:00|
    |Dealerz2.0|04:15:00|
    |Buzwaldo |04:10:00|
    |AdrianII |03:59:59|
    |Comic Book Guy |03:26:00|
    |The man in red and black |03:45:00|
    |Rossi7 |03:54:59|
    |eyrie |03:57:30|
    |Clibee|04:40:00|
    |downtheroad|03:30:00|

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭4Ad

Anyone else the same?

Thought it was just me !

4Ad wrote: »
    Thought it was just me !

That cos you were up at 23:55 posting on Boards when you should have been in bed sleeping :D.

I woke up this morning at 6am wired to the moon thinking about the DCM!!

At least we don't have to wait until Monday for the big day.....

I've got a heavy cold today. Of all the times to get it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Best of Luck everyone for Sunday! I was a novice in 2016 and I am back again for 3rd year now and chasing another PB.

You will have a fantastic day on Sunday and the support will be phenomenal. Have read reviews and watched videos on many other city marathons and cannot see any coming near Dublin for the support. You will have a tingle going thru you as you go thru Castleknock and go past the band playing and the DJ's banging out the tunes.. and plenty more spots along the route.

Enjoy the experience and don't pack it all in afterwards..!! Keep at it and next year you can watch on as the next group of novices nervously approach the start line.

Remember that the toughest line to get to is the start line so just pinch yourself on Sunday and give someone a hug or a hand shake in recognition of where you have got to.. then go and give it your best and that's all you can do. You've done the training so let your body perform for you now on Sunday.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

smashiner wrote: »
    That cos you were up at 23:55 posting on Boards when you should have been in bed sleeping :D.

I woke up this morning at 6am wired to the moon thinking about the DCM!!

At least we don't have to wait until Monday for the big day.....

I'm feeling really jittery since yesterday... Am getting a bit nervous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭space2ground1

I’ve a dilemma about whether to wear headphones (I did on all my shorter runs) or go without and soak the atmosphere up. I’m wondering whether the odd podcast or album might get me through a few tough half hours from time to time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I’ve a dilemma about whether to wear headphones (I did on all my shorter runs) or go without and soak the atmosphere up. I’m wondering whether the odd podcast or album might get me through a few tough half hours from time to time?

The organisers "strongly advise against the use of an iPod/earphone or a similar device whilst participating in the event"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Only TWO days to go!!!!

DCM 2016 Novice here, thinking back on the buildup to that one, never mind the day itself.

It really is an amazing journey that you've been on the last few months, now coming to journey's end. Just 26.2 miles (give or take) to go :)

Only natural to be really nervous at this point. Even though I'd run a marathon before, I was still like a child at Christmas in the days leading up to DCM. You've done all the hard work. Now is the time to put it into practice. Seeing the finish line and going for it is absolutely incredible. Having said that, I was celebrating with 50 yards to go :D

Your mentors have done a brilliant job guiding you through all the pitfalls. Relax, and enjoy every bit of it. Hopefully I'll get to put some faces to usernames in McGrattans afterwards. Go n-éirí libh!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,213 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

For what its worth, I was a music listener before I did DCM in 2016, I brought the headphones with me and listened to them a bit on the course.

Honestly I wish I hadn't, for a few reasons. One, you might be surprised at the level of support out on the course, its not just in a few places, its the entire 26 miles and if you are listening to music you don't get the full benefit of that.

Secondly, 3 hours and 30km in I was just sick of the music anyway, it was doing nothing for me and the ear buds were just an annoyance I had to carry.

Each to their own but I won't be bringing them this time.

I have used my headphones on training runs, but there wasn't 26.2+ miles of people shouting, screaming, cheering me on those LSRs.

Using headphones means you miss out on the support, the camaraderie the new friendship formed with other runners as you run around and go through the same pain together.

Sunday you will see Dublin and its people at its best - and unlike most races, there is very little dead zones - it is people cheering shouting and clapping all the way.

This is the day you become a celebrity for a day and become the centre of attention. I'd be saying to you - don't miss out on that for the sake of listening to the same music you've listened to for months.

But each to their own, what works for some doesn't for others too!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

Queue for number collection is crazy!! This was a bad idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭chabsey

I did in 2015 and was considering it this time, I generally listen to audiobooks but am going to run without music or anything this time. One of my strongest memories of DCM 2015 was the final stretch where you really do feel like a celebrity with the amount of cheering and noise surrounding you. It's overwhelming and gives you an amazing boost.

I'd add to this that if you are iffy about bringing music / headphones etc ....then decide beforehand because having headphones bouncing around your neck unused is an annoyance you won't want. Don't leave it till the last moment to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭positron

+1 for no music. Write your name on the bib with a marker. Kind people of Dublin takes note of things like that and shouts you support. When you are in the depths of pain and tiredness facing Roebuck Road, to hear random strangers cheer for your by calling out your name specifically - that's truly priceless!

Perhaps leave your headphones around your neck if you are unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Corbally

I've been absent for a few weeks so wanted to check in. The last few weeks have been a disaster for me (running wise). I was on holidays in Australia and New Zealand. Between the drinking, surfing, diving and hiking I didn't do a whole lot of running. I underestimated how much the jetlag would zap me when I was heading over. I drove into Perth city to do the 20 mile run but I forgot my watch and my gels so spent an hour faffing around the city looking for gels before deciding to postpone the run until the next day (big mistake).
    Since then the training has gone out the window. I didn't do the 20 miler. I did a 50km hike in the Southern Alps in New Zealand so at least I wasn't sitting on a bar stool the whole time.
    Where am I at now? I did 10 miles last Sunday, felt good but I've had a sore knee since, might have something to do with the 50km hike with a pack on my back. Now I feel super well rested and full of energy. I'm really looking forward to Sunday. I was really focused on sub 4 hours all year but I think I mellowed a bit on my holidays. I am going out with the 4 hour pacers and just going to see how it goes. I've already signed up for Paris in April 2019 so I'll worry about a target time then.

Can someone add me to the table with 4:00:00? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Totally agree with no headphones. The support all the way is better than any music. Plus running through the deafening cheers in Castleknock and Chapelizod will make you feel like you are in the Olympics!

Advertisement