Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

aloooof wrote: »
    I could be way off here but taking your HM time and using the HM*2 + 20 mins makes 4:10 sound reasonable.

However, running 4:10 at an even pace would see you pass the half-way point at 2:05. But all the advice here has been to run a negative split as the first half is harder. So you might be better off aiming for half-way at, say, 2:07/2:08, and the second half 2:03/2:02? I think that's the logic anyways.

There's a boy who listened in class! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

skyblue46 wrote: »
    There's a boy who listened in class! :D

Ah jaysus. You'll be getting me beaten up at lunchtime. :pac:

Great post but on question regarding the section of it I've quoted above.

You mentioned that your HM pb was 1.46 and on marathon day you passed the half way mark at 1.54 which is nearly 10 min slower than your PB. Despite this you still struggled at the end having gone out too fast in the first half. this should have set you up for the standard rule of thumb where you multiply your HM pace and add 20 min buffer on to the second half.. (I understand it is not an exact science) but would be interested to know a bit more about how you feel you ran too fast in the first half given that you added 10 mins onto your HM time

I am a little concerned with this rationale based on my own times - I' did the HM in 1.55 last month and had planned on passing the half way mark somewhere between 2.02 and 2.05 on sunday in order to finish around HM pace x2 plus 20 is 4.10 max, ideally sooner if things go well on the day (first marathon etc.)

prob overthinking this a bit but plan A (best case scenario) for me is
    7 miles = 67 min
    HM 2.05
    Finish - somewhere between 4.00 and 4.10/15

Not sure if I should change anything to the above, any general advice and whether these times are realistic/achievable would be appreciated.

Maybe 69 mins to mile 7. That's followed by a couple of downhill miles which will help ease you towards a 2:05 half.

Limerick was a super hot day....many a persons plans were left in tatters that day. Proof that even the best plans can come unstuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

philyb wrote: »
    Unfortunately I can't do DCM just found out during week, lad I know will take entire are they fairly relaxing on registration as I know last year they opened up so someone could register for you

Number swaps are not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 philyb

RayCun wrote: »
    Number swaps are not allowed.
    Really I do remember that it was said last year also but on the Friday someone else could register

• Advertisement

philyb wrote: »
    Really I do remember that it was said last year also but on the Friday someone else could register

Somebody can collect your number on your behalf but not take your place. You will have completed the registration form in your name for you to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Wow.
    Just back from 3 mile MP run (Dublin Quays/Blackhall place/Stoneybatter/NCR/Phoenix park). Pacing was all over the place for some reason but what I did come away with was a much clearer understanding of what exactly I need to do on the day, especially for the first few miles. It was as if the penny had only just dropped.
    I found myself running at what I thought was an easy enough pace but quickly realised I had to slow it down even more. I have only myself to blame if I fail to adopt this strategy on Sunday.
    Feeling good now overall after a few days of stress and worry. I even cried at the end of my two mile run yesterday as I ran along Merrion Square.

Not able for this. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 limlad2018

Hi could anyone tell me is the 3hr 50min pacer in wave 1 or 2?im assigned wave 2 i originally planned sub 4hr but my pace last few months have improved so based on a 2hr 33min 20miler three weeks ago im going to go with 3hr 50 pacer. I run regularly but this is only my second marathon and i blew up at 20 miles least year and finished 4.06 so i dont want to mess it up.Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

limlad2018 wrote: »
    Hi could anyone tell me is the 3hr 50min pacer in wave 1 or 2?im assigned wave 2 i originally planned sub 4hr but my pace last few months have improved so based on a 2hr 33min 20miler three weeks ago im going to go with 3hr 50 pacer. I run regularly but this is only my second marathon and i blew up at 20 miles least year and finished 4.06 so i dont want to mess it up.Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

The 3:50 pacer is in Wave 2....I know this because I asked to be bumped up to Wave 2 this week and was turned down.......sob.....sob :(.

Sounds like you are on for a cracking marathon, best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

Wave 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Why you looking to run 3.50 when you completed a 20 miler 3 weeks ago at 3.20 pace? The 2hr 33mins is either a typo or your seriously sandbagging.

Does anyone have any advice on picking the correct pacer?although im thinking of going with the 3.50 pacer i think 3.40 is achievable on the day based on my 2hr 33min 20 miler 3 weeks ago but i dont want to mess it up like last year and go to hard at the start. Maybe start out with the 3.50 pacer and see can i kick on at 20 miles?

OOnegative wrote: »
    Why you looking to run 3.50 when you completed a 20 miler 3 weeks ago at 3.20 pace? The 2hr 33mins is either a typo or your seriously sandbagging.
    i was starting to cramp bad at the end of that 20 miler i certainly wouldnt have kept up that pace for the last 6 miles last year i got to 20 miles in 2hrs 50 and finished 4.06.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

how did you feel on your 20 miler.? Were you flat out or running at a nice steady pace.? lots of variables but I didn't do any of my 20m last year at near that pace and ran with the 3.30 pacers in DCM

Was it a 20 mile race?

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    how did you feel on your 20 miler.? Were you flat out or running at a nice steady pace.? lots of variables but I didn't do any of my 20m last year at near that pace and ran with the 3.30 pacers in DCM
    What started as a final long training run became a race i was def flat out i suppose on the day i felt really good apart from the last 5 k when i was starting to cramp i would never have considered being able to do sub 3.30 im just afraid of blowing up last 10k but want to get the best time possible.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Was it a 20 mile race?
    yes 3/4 marathon

yes 3/4 marathon

Not to sound harsh but chances are you left your marathon behind you in that 3/4, hope you didn’t but you ran it far to hard. You should have treated it as a last long run not a race.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Not to sound harsh but chances are you left your marathon behind you in that 3/4, hope you didn’t but you ran it far to hard. You should have treated it as a last long run not a race.
    I hope i havent!ya i know but i felt good in fairness ive tapered back since then and feel ok shur we'll see on sunday!

I hope i havent!ya i know but i felt good in fairness ive tapered back since then and feel ok shur we'll see on sunday!

I hope you haven’t to, go with the 3.50 pacers if that’s the pace you trained to. Good lads pacing that group that will do there upmost to get you through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

Dublin marathon advice with race director Jim Aughney

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭downtheroad

No DART service between Connolly and Dun Laoighre on Sunday I've been told

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Dublin marathon advice with race director Jim Aughney

Just watched it there. Great interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

aloooof wrote: »
    I could be way off here but taking your HM time and using the HM*2 + 20 mins makes 4:10 sound reasonable.

However, running 4:10 at an even pace would see you pass the half-way point at 2:05. But all the advice here has been to run a negative split as the first half is harder. So you might be better off aiming for half-way at, say, 2:07/2:08, and the second half 2:03/2:02? I think that's the logic anyways.

someone also told me HM plus 10 mins is achievable so secretly id love to finish in four, hence the rationale behind the 2.05 first half but not sure if is realistic anyway, might just aim for 4.10 and then if anything left at 19 miles pick up the pace, think this is the best bet.

so 2.07 half it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭M.m.m.

Just wondering, I did the 3/4 marathon in 3.28. What time should I aim for?

I had done a 17 mile run on the Monday before the 3/4 and also ran three days during the week and did some weight training on the Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,439 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

M.m.m. wrote: »
    Just wondering, I did the 3/4 marathon in 3.28. What time should I aim for?

I had done a 17 mile run on the Monday before the 3/4 and also ran three days during the week and did some weight training on the Friday

I think that translates to about a 4:10-4:15 marathon, assuming you didn’t race the ¾.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Are we meeting up beforehand? Could any of the more experienced guys advise a suitable spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Are we meeting up beforehand? Could any of the more experienced guys advise a suitable spot?

the steps of one of these houses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

We met last year on Stephen’s Green directly opposite the Shelbourne. Was very handy and quiet so easy to spot each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Yeah, before photo :cool:

Advertisement