Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Kellygirl wrote: »
    We met last year on Stephen’s Green directly opposite the Shelbourne. Was very handy and quiet so easy to spot each other.

That sounds like a good shout. Can pop in to use the facilities in the Shelbourne as well beforehand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Just three more sleeps everyone! How the hell did we get to this point...

So I have a couple of stupid questions that have definitely already been asked, but my brain is frazzled by the taper so apologies :o
    • Where are good places to tell friends/family to watch from on the day? And any that would be particularly good/bad for arranging handover of bananas etc?
    • Waves - I'm in wave 2 and targeting sub 4, which is bang on, but with a slow start. However the 4 hour pacers are in wave 3. Advantages/disadvantages to staying at the back of wave 2 where it might be a bit quieter (?) versus dropping back and running behind the 4 hour pacers to hopefully pass them later?
    • Are people bringing their partners/support people to McGrattans after?
    • On that important topic - straight to McGrattan's or off somewhere to shower etc first?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Rossi7

Can someone add me to the table please, 3.54:59

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Bib No.|Username|Target Time|Actual Time
    |Mr. Guappa|03:59:59|
    |coogy|03:45:00|
    |Helenasca|04:40:00|
    |roosterman71|03:50:00|
    |kittyclaws|04:50:00|
    |sann|03:40:00|
    |Summerflower|04:29:59|
    |Chippyrun|04:30:00|
    |Themadhouse|04:29:59|
    |Aoifemcc19|04:45:00|
    |Chabsey|03:15:00|
    |imknackered|03:28:00|
    |tbukela|03:38:00|
    |Naked Lepper|04:15:00|
    |yido1882|03:59:00|
    |cullenswood|03:29:59|
    |ReeReeG|03:49:30|
    |Bucketybuck|03:59:99|
    |Pilot1087|04:40:00|
    |Strawberry Swan|04:30:00|
    |Applegirl26|04:30:00|
    |aloooof|04:25:00|
    |hedgehoggy|03:43:30|
    |Misky|04:45:00|
    |Alorra|03:40:00|
    |Dealerz2.0|04:15:00|
    |Buzwaldo |04:10:00|
    |AdrianII |03:59:59|
    |Comic Book Guy |03:26:00|
    |The man in red and black |03:45:00|
    |Rossi7 |03:54:59|

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

I've inserted my responses below!! :)

So I have a couple of stupid questions that have definitely already been asked, but my brain is frazzled by the taper so apologies :o
    • Where are good places to tell friends/family to watch from on the day? And any that would be particularly good/bad for arranging handover of bananas etc?

My wife and kids will be (hopefully) waiting outside Kilmainham Gaol, just at the 11 mile mark. They'll be heading into town after that to see if they can find a spot near-ish to the finish line
    • Waves - I'm in wave 2 and targeting sub 4, which is bang on, but with a slow start. However the 4 hour pacers are in wave 3. Advantages/disadvantages to staying at the back of wave 2 where it might be a bit quieter (?) versus dropping back and running behind the 4 hour pacers to hopefully pass them later?
      If I were you, I would stay in your wave and maybe head out with the 3:50 pacers and take it from there?
      Not planning to. I don't know exactly how long I can stick around for tbh. I could send them off to McDonalds for a while and give the kids some spends to get themselves something nice while I stare in awe at my finishers medal! :D
    • On that important topic - straight to McGrattan's or off somewhere to shower etc first?
      Hmmm......well, I hope to at least get changed into something less sweaty! I'll have a change of clothes so might try and find somewhere to smarten up (a little).

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

ariana` wrote: »
    |Applegirl26|04:30:00|

My new time is 4:40....

Apologies Applegirl, i thought i took the most recent.

|Applegirl26|04:40:00|

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Couple of wet wipes in the bag for afterwards.

Wet wipes and leave yor modesty at the finish line. Change of clothes & trainers and a deodrant shower will do me for McGrattans

• Advertisement

coogy wrote: »
    I've inserted my responses below!! :)

My wife and kids will be (hopefully) waiting outside Kilmainham Gaol, just at the 11 mile mark. They'll be heading into town after that to see if they can find a spot near-ish to the finish line
      If I were you, I would stay in your wave and maybe head out with the 3:50 pacers and take it from there?
      Not planning to. I don't know exactly how long I can stick around for tbh. I could send them off to McDonalds for a while and give the kids some spends to get themselves something nice while I stare in awe at my finishers medal! :D
      Hmmm......well, I hope to at least get changed into something less sweaty! I'll have a change of clothes so might try and find somewhere to smarten up (a little).

eyrie i wouldn't advise going with a pacer 10 mins faster than your target time, this is a recipe for disaster but i think you already know that yourself.

My family went to the Phoenix Park last year - they stood on/at the statue just after the 5m marker which was a great spot for me to see them and them to see me coming. After that they went to the around 23m i think, there's a hotel (i think the Herbert Park Hotel) there that my other half parked at and then they stood on the road - we arranged in advance that they'd be on the left hand side, i was so looking forward to seeing them here, mentally it kept me going from 20-23 miles and i actually cried when i saw them here because i knew i would finish then :)

I didn't stay long in McG's last year but that was because i had my kids and we had a buggy for the youngest and it was just too busy. My OH waited outside and i just ran in to say a quick hello to a few :mad:

Baby wipes and deodorant in place of a shower perhaps!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

eyrie wrote: »
    [*]Are people bringing their partners/support people to McGrattans after?
    [*]On that important topic - straight to McGrattan's or off somewhere to shower etc first?

I was planning on bringing my entourage (1-3 people) to McGrattans, unless it's frowned upon?

Straight to McGrattans seems to be the advice. If I took a detour somewhere for a shower I'd never summon the will to head back in.

eyrie i wouldn't advise going with a pacer 10 mins faster than your target time, this is a recipe for disaster but i think you already know that yourself.

Sorry ariana, wasn't sure of eyrie's target time as it's not in the table of predicted times :o

Sorry ariana, wasn't sure of eyrie's target time as it's not in the table of predicted times :o
    Shhh, no drawing attention to that!! It'll be there by the end of the day, I swear...

She's keeping us in suspense :pac:

Brilliant, thanks for the advice everyone.
    Coogy I like your optimism but I'll be going a decent bit slower than that. So either at the back of wave 2 or start of wave 3, we shall see...

ariana I really like the idea of having someone at 23m, thanks for the tip. Good to have it to keep you going towards, and then after that it's so close to the finish.

Great, I'll be bringing my partner to McGrattan's so. Sounds like there'll be a few non-runners for him to talk to!

Wet wipes - good thinking.

She's keeping us in suspense :pac:
    Inability to commit, more like :rolleyes:. I'm getting there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Wet wipes and leave yor modesty at the finish line. Change of clothes & trainers and a deodrant shower will do me for McGrattans

Any more must haves for the bag? (apart from money :cool:)

juke wrote: »

Maybe something solid to eat? You probably won't be hungry straight away but even a banana or trail bar or a couple of small snacks to refuel. Your phone if you're not carrying it. I'd bring a full change of clothes including footwear.

Chocolate milk :P

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭kittyclaws

I knew I'd forgotten something! I'll have a bottle of prosecco in there too :D

And lots of it!!! Here come the Mooju brigade!!!:D

kittyclaws wrote: »

I knew I'd forgotten something! I'll have a bottle of prosecco in there too :D
    Don't forget the cigar and deckchair 8-)

Probably a pair of flip flops to air your feet if your feet are sore after your runs

And lots of it!!! Here come the Mooju brigade!!!:D
    Avonmore loyal, only Lyons tea drinkers with cheap palates drink that stuff ;)[font=arial,sans-serif] [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Coogy I like your optimism but I'll be going a decent bit slower than that. So either at the back of wave 2 or start of wave 3, we shall see...

ariana I really like the idea of having someone at 23m, thanks for the tip. Good to have it to keep you going towards, and then after that it's so close to the finish.

Great, I'll be bringing my partner to McGrattan's so. Sounds like there'll be a few non-runners for him to talk to!

My husband will be there too.

Last year i dropped back a wave when i had to adjust my goal downwards. I was glad i dropped the wave as i felt i was running with people the same pace as me at the start and as the race went on i just felt like i was constantly going by people instead of being passed out. I had the pace group ahead of me all the time to work off as well - for a long time they were out of sight but eventually i got glimpses of them, reeled them in and went past which was a super feeling. And of course once i passed them i knew i was ahead of pace because i had started behind them.

This year my target is between pace groups but i'm starting ahead of them both. So next year i'll be able to advise on how that works out :pac:

I think the 4 hour group will be one of the busiest pace groups so getting caught behind them isn't ideal (especially if you're hoping for a few minutes under 4 as opposed to a just getting under 4 :p). This would sway me towards advising you to stick at the back of Wave 2.

But maybe someone with experience of starting in a wave ahead will give you advise with more foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Bring who you want to McGrattans. Why would anyone frown upon you bringing someone. Its a public bar. I had my wife and 3 kids with me last year. and left with my wife, kids and a huge pacer balloon!!!

Sorry I'm back with another q.

So it looks like it's going to be cold on Sunday morning. I've taken on board the advice about wrapping up in layers while we wait at the start etc. But I'm wondering would I wear a thermal baselayer under my t? I will probably keep my hat and gloves on for the first few miles and then take them off. Just wondering if I need another layer around my body itself? The only thing with wearing a baselayer is that I won't be able to take it off if I get too toasty. But I hate being cold and if I start cold, only my legs warm up, the rest of me doesn't! Aaahh.... Can I go back a few weeks, when all I had to do was run?!
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    I wouldn't go the base layer route at all. I know there's a lot of talk about a cold weekend but the temps being talked about are pretty ideal for distance running. Wear layers that you can take off one by one like peeling an onion. :)

I have some merino shirts. If you want to wear something like that to the bag drop area that would be fine. Merino is overkill for the start line (throw away top and large plastic bag is usually enough) and probably for the pub later too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

As regards wave starts this year is a bit of an unknown as the times required to be in each wave have changed quite substantially and may render previous years experiences as unrepresentative.

I dropped down a wave last year and I consider that to have been a mistake. I would start at the back of the faster wave which makes getting caught up in congestion a lesser risk, gives more time for toilets etc as you would not be in such a panic to get to the front of the lower wave and most importantly nobody in the Phoenix Park sees the colour of your number and thinks you're already 15 minutes behind your wave :pac:

Edit: I can in fact think of no good reason for anyone to drop a wave unless they a) want to stick with a pacer or b) feel that they are in a wave which will be filled with faster runners and they are afraid their morale might suffer as the faster runners move ahead.

Advertisement