Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 World Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Yellow to binghams rescue here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

fair play to lisowski, showed some bottle to get through that last frame. glad he won, will he beat higgins though

Shame ballrun messed that frame up, would have made for a great climax. Good win though, but I have a feeling Higgins might fillet him next round. Missing easy pots against Higgins is a recipe for a slaughter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Inviere wrote: »
    The level of BBC coverage is gone to utter shite these days, no selection of table via the red button anymore?

I just took a free 7 day trial with vpn unlimited you can install it on your phone laptop or android box I stuck it on my Nvidia Shield and installed BBC Iplayer registered an account with bbc googled a random address and used that postcode signed in and I’m up and running with live hd streams from both tables

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Robertson will win tomorrow, then we could have a robertson v roberstson match in the next round

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Football shirts aren't allowed at the darts either.

A younger lad I went with one year had a Liverpool tracksuit bottoms on and they made him turn it inside out before they would let him in.

I kid you not.

• Advertisement

Eurosport is 20 -30 euro a year and well worth it if you are a snooker fan. they cover every frame of a lot of tournaments including the big 3. Also keep an eye on bargain alerts. I picked up a years subscription for €2.50 last Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

All still first round yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Any chance of giving us a paragraph on your experience after you have been over there, stuff like atmosphere, beer prices, food prices, ticket cost, accommodation, how close you were to the table. Any thing u can think of..

I was never at the worlds and its definitely on my to do list.

This will be my third year so I can tell you a few bits now.

Itinerary is fly from Dublin to Manchester, train to Sheffield. That costs around €100 total for two people. We are staying in the same apartments that we did last year. Costs around €100 per night but they are nice and in a quiet area. Trump and Higgins were both staying there last year.

When you first see the Crucible from outside its crazy, after seeing it for so many years on tv. Real bucket list moment. The arena itself is very intimate and there are no bad seats really. I've been sitting in the front row and you could literally touch the players. You actually feel a bit uncomfortable trying to keep super still. The camera man barely has room to move.

If you buy the tickets when they go on sale it's about £30-35 for the first two rounds and it goes up from there. I bought tickets for Ronnies game off viagogo and they cost about €80.00 each. Couldn't pass up a chance to see him though. Saw two sessions of him vs Murphy last year and its magical seeing him in person. He just looks so smooth around the table. Only player I've seen live who compares is Ding.

You can wait outside the players entrance and get photos and autographs and stuff. Saw Ronnie, Wilson, Murphy and others last year. Also met Willie Thorne while we were half cut on the way to the next pub on the Friday night and got pics which was a bit surreal.

Food and drink in Sheffield is very reasonable I found and there are plenty of pubs and nightlife about. All in all it's a great place to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Was at the Bingham v Lisowski game tonight. Fantastic match Jack nearly threw it away but glad he came through. Seeing Williams v Robertson tomorrow don’t think I’ll be left hanging around too long probably get to see few frames from Higgins game

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

Was at the Robertson milkins on other table, poor standard . You certainly got the better match. Got glimpses of it. Lisowoksi looks to be well up for it. Have Higgins tomorrow evening. Great experience so far

spuddy90 wrote: »
    Was at the Robertson milkins on other table, poor standard . You certainly got the better match. Got glimpses of it. Lisowoksi looks to be well up for it. Have Higgins tomorrow evening. Great experience so far

Thought Milkins played well. Went for everything but missed a few which is to be expected. Started to miss more in the last. He will get nervous towards the winning line.

Are the seats comfortable for a long sitting? I think that's what would get me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Inviere

This post had been deleted.
    I just took a free 7 day trial with vpn unlimited you can install it on your phone laptop or android box I stuck it on my Nvidia Shield and installed BBC Iplayer registered an account with bbc googled a random address and used that postcode signed in and I’m up and running with live hd streams from both tables

Cheers folks, will take a look later on.
    Permabear wrote: »

I've always been a huge advocate of keeping Snooker on the BBC. I felt their extensive, ad free coverage, red button options, and HD channels, for the price of €0 was practically unbeatable. The way they've gone though, crippled coverage, cutting from live games to show Match of the Day 2 reruns, they've cut their red button services down to one table, and now they want to keep it all only to UK viewers?? Sorry, ITV all the way if that's the case.

Someone mentioned Eurosport, do they cover the Worlds? If so, do they have comprehensive two table coverage?

Thought Milkins was brilliant last night, most aggressive player I've seen in ages.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Cheers folks, will take a look later on.

I've always been a huge advocate of keeping Snooker on the BBC. I felt their extensive, ad free coverage, red button options, and HD channels, for the price of €0 was practically unbeatable. The way they've gone though, crippled coverage, cutting from live games to show Match of the Day 2 reruns, they've cut their red button services down to one table, and now they want to keep it all only to UK viewers?? Sorry, ITV all the way if that's the case.

Someone mentioned Eurosport, do they cover the Worlds? If so, do they have comprehensive two table coverage?

Thought Milkins was brilliant last night, most aggressive player I've seen in ages.

The Eurosport player has every minute of every game. One table with commentary. Plus it’s all available if you can’t watch live. It’s a phenomenal service for the money.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Eurosport show every single frame. One table on Eurosport 1 and the other on Eurosport player. They do the masters and UK too. The other home nations tournaments as well. Not sure what else

Edit: both tables seem to have commentary these days

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The level of BBC coverage is gone to utter shite these days, no selection of table via the red button anymore?

There is if you have Sky.

Or use Mobdro if you have an android tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I used to always hook up the BBC via laptop and VPN but it worked only briefly this year and then was blocking me, so have packed in that idea as it's annoying. I just want to turn it on and watch without fluting around and have the risk of it stopping mid-frame.

I signed up for the Eurosport Player earlier in the year and it's my go to now for snooker. Watch whatever you want and it will stream perfectly.

Will still choose the BBC when it is on, as I prefer the personalities and commentary. People give out about Denis here, but I find the novelty of the repetitive sillyness he comes out with quite funny and nearly part of watching snooker!

For handiness sake during the week, Eurosport Player is the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

is there no way to get the Red Button channel without tuning it into "other channels" on sky?

Mark Williams safety game doesn't seem to have improved from last year. Another exit at the quarter finals or earlier. Just doesn't seem to be bothered by that side of the game anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

is there no way to get the Red Button channel without tuning it into "other channels" on sky?

Unfortunately not.

Mark Williams safety game doesn't seem to have improved from last year. Another exit at the quarter finals or earlier. Just doesn't seem to be bothered by that side of the game anymore

Not bothered indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

That shot from Williams was excellent, but more impressive was Hendry on commentary predicting he wouldn't look at the cue ball when taking the shot

• Advertisement

Did he try to move the red on the left? Strange choice I thought if he did.

Advertisement