Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 World Championship

Options
1737475767779»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Jimmy Dags

danganabu wrote: »
    And we have a new winner :rolleyes:

We sure do Jennifer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,975 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

When’s the next snooker event on tv? Between Eurosport/quest and bbc there’s a good bit of snooker on tv. But sometimes I miss the start of events and only bits of them record

Anyone know where i could find the televised fixtures do I can know when they’re coming up?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,301 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

When’s the next snooker event on tv? Between Eurosport/quest and bbc there’s a good bit of snooker on tv. But sometimes I miss the start of events and only bits of them record

Anyone know where i could find the televised fixtures do I can know when they’re coming up?

Well we are pretty much at end of season now (by the way I think it might be a flaw that the Worlds is the last event as it loses an audience just as you've maxxed it, might be better mid-season).

Heres a pdf link to the calendar for the rest of the year.

http://www.worldsnooker.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/calendar.pdf

Latvian open at end of July will probably be televised.
    The World Open, Shangai Masters and China Championship will definitely be televised.
    Ditto English Open and Northern Irish Open.
    These will be a mix of Eurosport and ITV4.

Then the BBC will be back for the UK Championship at the end of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Inviere

(by the way I think it might be a flaw that the Worlds is the last event as it loses an audience just as you've maxxed it, might be better mid-season).

That's a very good point. Should be used to kick the season off!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,498 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Inviere wrote: »

They have the UK and the Masters for that. Shorter format, easier to bring in casual fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭dball

lots of Ronnie coming to Ireland next month - touring the country on exhibition with Jimmy White. ( 9 counties on the tour)

No Dublin date?!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Inviere wrote: »

Completely disagree. It’s the peak of the season. A lot of players are playing for qualification to the worlds through top 16 positions. Adds to the drama in the run up.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Inviere

Brian? wrote: »
    Completely disagree. It’s the peak of the season. A lot of players are playing for qualification to the worlds through top 16 positions. Adds to the drama in the run up.

There is that, but as mentioned above, having it where it is in the season fails to capitalise on the national spotlight it gets. Once it's over, Snooker just disappears, & I'd say huge numbers don't watch it again until next year, or even November/January. It's a much bigger game than the Triple Crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Traditionally snooker has always followed the football season. Sept-May. So FA cup or European cup final was the culmination. Some birdbrains are moving the World Cup in Qatar to December. But you wouldn't suggest the FA cup or European Cup final should move to start or middle of the season.

If you like the sport the new season will be around before you know it, but only really gets going in this part of the world in November. Time for a break for all and enjoy the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

It's an interesting debating point. I'm of the belief that there is a huge amount wrong with the snooker calendar as it is currently established, though not sure I'd be up for any change to the positioning of the Worlds. Tradition dies hard in sport and I'd also subscribe to that other cliche - if it aint broke why fix it. Can definitely see the logic behind it, but on the other hand do I really believe I'd be looking forward to some bog standard ranking event after the epic finale of last week? Not me personally anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Actually as has been posted above, its not as if it disappears for very long, less than 2 months before the season is in full gear again. There was a time there wouldn't have been another ranking event until the following September. While I'd accept there were few enough events back then, I'm of the view that we're quickly reaching saturation point, being firmly in the less is more camp when it comes to snooker. But others might not feel that way of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,301 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Traditionally snooker has always followed the football season. Sept-May. So FA cup or European cup final was the culmination. Some birdbrains are moving the World Cup in Qatar to December. But you wouldn't suggest the FA cup or European Cup final should move to start or middle of the season.

If you like the sport the new season will be around before you know it, but only really gets going in this part of the world in November. Time for a break for all and enjoy the summer.

You can't just use examples from a sport (football) that happens to agree with you.
    You could also look at golf, tennis and athletics who continue to run 'tour' events in the weeks after all the Majors or Olympics have finished, so they are able to capitalise on the audience they've hopefully gained.

It was something that literally just occurred to me when I was posting earlier and thought it was interesting.
    Maybe some of the novelty events could be left until the weeks after the Worlds (shootout, team comps etc).
    Or maybe on balance it's fine the way it is and building to a finishing crescendo in Sheffield is best.

You can't just use examples from a sport (football) that happens to agree with you.
    You could also look at golf, tennis and athletics who continue to run 'tour' events in the weeks after all the Majors or Olympics have finished, so they are able to capitalise on the audience they've hopefully gained.

It was something that literally just occurred to me when I was posting earlier and thought it was interesting.
    Maybe some of the novelty events could be left until the weeks after the Worlds (shootout, team comps etc).
    Or maybe on balance it's fine the way it is and building to a finishing crescendo in Sheffield is best.

Why doesn't football continue after the Champions League Final? Peak audience.

There needs to be a crescendo to the season in snooker. Can't think of anything better than the World Championship. Having a lesser event next week would look small fry and be anti-climatic. Don't think it would work.

The Crucible comes a few weeks after China and 100+ million people watch the World Championship from China alone. 210m watched Ding vs Selby in the final. 300m global audience. Its a huge event at the perfect time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Jesus this lad Brian Wright has some time of it, he turns up everywhere.

Living the dream.

Apart from having to sit through all those England matches.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/world-cup/2018/international-football-is-alive-again-just-when-the-world-needed-it-most_sto6853056/story.shtml

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/englands-biggest-fan-after-spending-3628532

Advertisement