Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 World Championship

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I think he’s around the 40s or 50s, but definitely in the top 128 anyway. White and Foulds had a good discussion on this and I wonder whether guys like that who are basically potting machines can ever develop the all round skills to challenge regularly in the major tournaments. Trump tried it and has reverted to type. Murphy has driven himself batty. Seems to me they don’t learn these skills in their formative years and critically compromised as a result.

Tactical play isn’t really a skill. You hit the ball the same way. It’s more of a mindset shift and can definitely be learned.

Ken Doherty would be a brilliant teacher for someone like Judd.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I'd like to see McGill do well today. There's something about his style of play that I like. Maybe it's a bit of an underdog thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

I hope he does well too. He looked nervy lastnight, they reckon it was down to being the last first round match so he had a long wait. Also Ryan day seemed comfortable after coming out of qualifiers. Hard to see him being beat today

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Brian? wrote: »
    Tactical play isn’t really a skill. You hit the ball the same way. It’s more of a mindset shift and can definitely be learned.

Ken Doherty would be a brilliant teacher for someone like Judd.

Sure that's probably true and it's not impossible, Alex Higgins did it around the turn of the 80s and would have been a more credible opponent for Davis but for the booze and fags. I just believe it is difficult, especially in the present time when young players are more and more conditioned to simply pot their way to victory and out of trouble. I remember the constant refrain in 2015 when Trump was apparently going to take over Ronnie's mantle, everytime he refused a pot it was "that's the new Judd Trump" but of course as soon as the ultimate pressure came down, he simply reverted to type and Bingham took him out.

No, it's not impossible to change, but I think it's very difficult and in, Trump's case, I'd worry the accumulation of defeat at Sheffield year after year has already left an indelible mark. He'll be 29 in a few months, still young but no youthful prodigy anymore. It's fascinating anyway. Would love to see him mature and fulfill all that potential.

Sure that's probably true and it's not impossible, Alex Higgins did it around the turn of the 80s and would have been a more credible opponent for Davis but for the booze and fags. I just believe it is difficult, especially in the present time when young players are more and more conditioned to simply pot their way to victory and out of trouble. I remember the constant refrain in 2015 when Trump was apparently going to take over Ronnie's mantle, everytime he refused a pot it was "that's the new Judd Trump" but of course as soon as the ultimate pressure came down, he simply reverted to type and Bingham took him out.

No, it's not impossible to change, but I think it's very difficult and in, Trump's case, I'd worry the accumulation of defeat at Sheffield year after year has already left an indelible mark. He'll be 29 in a few months, still young but no youthful prodigy anymore. It's fascinating anyway. Would love to see him mature and fulfill all that potential.

I don’t think Trump will change. For all this talk of potential, it already feels like he’s past his peak.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

I don’t think Trump will change. For all this talk of potential, it already feels like he’s past his peak.

I'd say every year that passes it gets harder for him to win a world title, not easier. He's accumulating bad experience, not the good variety. I'm still hoping but know it's just pure optimism at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,382 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The ending to the McGill/Day match was incredible. McGill 9-8 up and it comes down to the black ball in the 18th frame, two brilliant safety shots and Day nearly flukes the black but leaves it in the jaws, and McGill pots it for the win.

Dramatic stuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,163 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

martyos121 wrote: »
    The ending to the McGill/Day match was incredible. McGill 9-8 up and it comes down to the black ball in the 18th frame, two brilliant safety shots and Day nearly flukes the black but leaves it in the jaws, and McGill pots it for the win.

Dramatic stuff. :)

By what the commentators have been saying, I presume Ding would prefer to be playing McGill than Day, even though the former is the seed...

Dramatic match but truly shocking standard. McGill won't trouble Ding on that display, horrendous collapse from Ryan Day in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭taytobreath

McGill deserves to loose it to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Was I just watching a replay

• Registered Users Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Was I just watching a replay

Same here on the red button didn’t know if it was live or recording so stayed off this thread, dramatic stuff delighted for McGill!

Joe Johnson is giving out yards about Trumps match play. He’s right.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Joe Johnson is a loudmouth, couldn't watch Bingham and Lisowski coz of his biased views

Yes he’s spot on. Nice to watch that pot on the last red but there was no need to hit it like that.

Joe Johnson is a loudmouth, couldn't watch Bingham and Lisowski coz of his biased views

I wouldn't call him a loud mouth at all. He's absolutely right about Trump though. Silly shot choices.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Is he still making fart noises with the Mic stand. Used to drive me mad watching Eurosport when he commentated on matches

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

How can Trump be so naive after 10+ years as a pro...?

That was bizarre even by trumps standards. Why not just roll blue in and take pink to middle? Just no sense to any of it.

• Advertisement

There are no up and coming promising players this year really

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Trump making heavy weather of this,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

I've a lot of respect for this wakelin guy... Balls of steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Peter File

This may be controversial but Mark Selby is doing an excellent job in the eurosport studio. I know he is very rarely there for obvious reasons but he is frank and honest and very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Can't see Wakelin pulling it off, but fareplay to him. Some serious pressure on some of the shots he pulled off to go level

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Only a break of 17 and counting so far but he had played some great shots in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

theres no doubt on who alan macmanus is hoping will win.

Wrong decision in trying to pott that black at pace along the cushion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

This is nuts

Advertisement