Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 World Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The Nal wrote: »
    8 seeds went out in round 1 in 1980, 1992 and 2012. 6 is still fairly rare though. As it stands at the moment only 5 of the top 10 are through. Trump and Higgins the other top 10s still to finish.

Assuming they win (I know, I know), 3 from the top 10 and 3 from 11-16 would have been knocked out.

McGill likely to join them imo, 50-50 match up that at best. Wouldn't be hanging my hat on Judd either to be honest.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Robertson is a bit of a mystery to me. I can't quite understand why he doesn't do better, much better. He's well capable. He seems to have an 'attitude'. I don't know what attitude, but an attitude. Maybe it's because just maybe he wanted to be the no.1 flash player and it hasn't worked out that way. He's been in the game a long while now and he doesn't seem to develop much. Maybe I'm being harsh but that's the way I see it.

Inclined to agree. Always thought that for all the hype about him as an attacking player, he was always liable to revert to negative mode when frames got tight. The High King of the negative safety shot as far as I'm concerned. Great player when things went his way but that's not how top class snooker works much of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Can't see either of them going too far on what I've seen...

Trump and Wakelin not much better going by this ninth frame...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,639 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Ronnie basically said a while ago that himself, Higgins and Selby are the only people with the balls to be number 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭Inviere

Much obliged friend :)

Also seems to be install-able on Kodi too (obviously requires a Eurosport Player account), which would appear to solve all my issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Says a lot about the how the popularity of the game has declined when we are all scrambling to find ways of watching the biggest tournament of the year :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Was watching this in the bookies today, and the way the odds fluctuated was bizarre. I was watching what turned out to be the final frame of Robertson v Milkins. At the start of the frame Milkins was 1/10 to win the match, which I thought was incredible for a guy who needed just one more frame, and had won the previous 3, against a guy who was imploding.

Then he potted a red (potentially starting a break) and it went to 1/12, then as the break progressed it went all they way in to 1/250, then he went out of position and the break ended, and it went back to 1/33. It was only when Robertson missed that final red and left it in the jaws that the bookies finally locked it.

Never seen odds fluctuate like that before in any sport. Was sorely tempted to put 100 quid on it at 1/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

_feedback_ wrote: »
    Says a lot about the how the popularity of the game has declined when we are all scrambling to find ways of watching the biggest tournament of the year :-(

Nah the BBC bashing is an annual event now. I just appreciate the BBC red button and Taylor, Virgo while they are still around. I have brand loyalty I suppose. They cover every ball of the one table set up on BBC2.
    I'd say the coverage has never been better, but it is worth having a look out for the €2.50 eurosport player offer. I got it when it was on Bargain Alerts around November.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Prompting him to exclaim UH-NOOH!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

This is a great game.

Nah the BBC bashing is an annual event now. I just appreciate the BBC red button and Taylor, Virgo while they are still around. I have brand loyalty I suppose.

Not very long ago, they covered every ball of every session. They had complete, and total coverage. The decision to cut Red Button coverage to one table, and effectively go into cost-cutting mode by using the geo-locked iPlayer to take up the slack definitely invites criticism. Cutting live coverage to show 'Eggheads', invites Eurosport.
    They cover every ball of the one table set up on BBC2.
    I'd say the coverage has never been better, but it is worth having a look out for the €2.50 eurosport player offer. I got it when it was on Bargain Alerts around November.

I'd say I'll end up getting a Eurosports sub, and watching on the BBC where available. Best of both worlds kind of thing. Must keep an eye out for an offer on the sub!

Un-Nooh looks to be in exceptional form, worrying times for the wizard.

I know it’s his first time at the crucible but I wish they’d stop talking about Thepchaiya as if he was some young up and coming prodigy. He’s 33, been around years without doing a whole lot.

Prompting him to exclaim UH-NOOH!:p

Even worse, he missed the final black for a 147 in the UK a few years back.

Yeah, I mean I know it’s young enough in snooker terms, but there’s too much of excusing players who aren’t improving or developing about it for my liking. Wilson and McGill are others who get the young up and coming label despite being closer to 30 than 20. In fairness I can see something in Wilson alright while McGill is way overrated imo.

• Advertisement

Easy to see there why Theppy is outside the top 128. Phenomenal taent, but terrible table awareness at times. He could have won that 10-4 with better shot selection. A few months with Terry Griffiths would do him good.

I think he’s around the 40s or 50s, but definitely in the top 128 anyway. White and Foulds had a good discussion on this and I wonder whether guys like that who are basically potting machines can ever develop the all round skills to challenge regularly in the major tournaments. Trump tried it and has reverted to type. Murphy has driven himself batty. Seems to me they don’t learn these skills in their formative years and critically compromised as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tinpib

Poor Anthony McGill, down to pink and black and needed a snooker. Got it after a couple of brilliant efforts. Pots pink, gets an unlucky bounce to leave white on cushion for the black. Misses black and leaves a sitter for Day.

Left the arena straight after for a good cry and/or vomit I'd say.

3:5 to Day.

I think he’s around the 40s or 50s, but definitely in the top 128 anyway. White and Foulds had a good discussion on this and I wonder whether guys like that who are basically potting machines can ever develop the all round skills to challenge regularly in the major tournaments. Trump tried it and has reverted to type. Murphy has driven himself batty. Seems to me they don’t learn these skills in their formative years and critically compromised as a result.

I remember the time when Jimmy was coming through and he had no real safety game. Everything else was just beautiful but he had to knuckle down in the mid 80s to build a safety game and he wouldn't have got so close in those 6 world finals if he hadn't have developed a decent all round game at that stage when he was 24/25. Ronnie had to develop that too to a lesser extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Hendy predicting the blind shot is fascinating. Why would you not look at the ball on that particular shot? It almost looked like showboating.

Day could have had the maximum here. But chose 1 blue when he could have had the black.

Edit: ended with the 145 highest break. But a bit of a missed opportunity for him there.

I remember the time when Jimmy was coming through and he had no real safety game. Everything else was just beautiful but he had to knuckle down in the mid 80s to build a safety game and he wouldn't have got so close in those 6 world finals if he hadn't have developed a decent all round game at that stage when he was 24/25. Ronnie had to develop that too to a lesser extent.

Alex was the same. I remember one of the older guys saying they were happy to draw Alex in the 70s cos you’d always be gifted loads of chances. If snooker was all just about potting Cliff Wilson would have won around 12 world titles!

• Advertisement

Hendy predicting the blind shot is fascinating. Why would you not look at the ball on that particular shot? It almost looked like showboating.

Was amazing how Hendry called that. Willo said it was a fluke, but he obvs went to hit it and that was the shot Hendry was mentioning. Still incredible that Hendry called him not looking at it!

Advertisement