Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The newer road could be called West Cork Road, innashannon Road or whatever.
    That's the thing, it's not a newer road.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Leaving the N71 as Bandon Road makes sense. This could be solved by just calling Bandon Road in Glasheen Bandon Street. I might just start to call it that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Leaving the N71 as Bandon Road makes sense. This could be solved by just calling Bandon Road in Glasheen Bandon Street. I might just start to call it that myself.
    Is there a problem to solve though? I've never found it confusing, maybe people do initially. I think changing street names is much more confusing. Anglesea Street is up for a name change, bit of a populist move that noone was calling for IMO. Soon you'll have the Anglesea St Garda amd fire station but no Anglesea St.

opus wrote: »
    Wouldn't be sorry to see this bleak Dunnes get redeveloped.

Plan to knock city Dunnes Stores and build new supermarket with cafe and outdoor seats

0_Screen-Shot-2021-05-11-at-135609.png

Bit of a pipe dream, but would have been great if that grim excuse for a retail experience could have been developed into a village centre/Square type thing for Bishopstown

TheChizler wrote: »
    Is there a problem to solve though? I've never found it confusing, maybe people do initially. I think changing street names is much more confusing. Anglesea Street is up for a name change, bit of a populist move that noone was calling for IMO. Soon you'll have the Anglesea St Garda amd fire station but no Anglesea St.
    In general, I don't think these things need to be changed. Especially Angelsea street, why name it after a quay of the same name next to it. Bandon road can be confusing but I guess if the n71 never develops to have much along it youre right that it is obvious what is what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

There are a few other examples of reuse of the same street name in Cork. The council should tidy it up.

Also while I’m on the topic of crazy stuff, the use of house names and no numbers in quite a few areas of this city is bonkers. How An Post ever allowed it to happen in fairly densely populated streets is beyond me. It’s also not snobbery where people replace numbers with house names, but you just have no numbering at all in some of the older parts of the city.

An Post has no authority in this area. All these legacy issues with non unique addresses etc. is the problem that Eircode has to a large extent sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

Mav11 wrote: »
    An Post has no authority in this area. All these legacy issues with non unique addresses etc. is the problem that Eircode has to a large extent sorted out.

To a point, but the whole laissez faire approach to assigning house numbers is down to the council. We have three different houses all claiming to be number 8 on my street because some people count 1,2,3 along the left and loop back down the other side. Some people are using the site numbers that were on some map and others are using the chronological order the houses were built in. Others don’t use them at all. Some have house names one or two seem to just use family name & street.

Google maps seems to have settled on some kind of standard but the whole thing is utterly daft.

I’ve had discussions with neighbours as we are constantly getting post for other people and confused couriers because someone keeps correcting Google maps to a weird and illogical numbering regime that isn’t even sequential lol

Eircodes should fix that though no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Extremely popular with Bishopstown residents. I lived beside for it a few years and it was very handy.

I am biased in that i used to deliver to that store many moons ago and it was a complete nightmare.

Up there with the dunnes of north main street as an absolute curse for deliveries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

Eircodes should fix that though no?

Not when the postman doesn't read them. They just go from the top line of the address and we seem to keep changing postman too. It's largely sorted them out for packages, although you get the odd courier insisting that they have the right address when they're way off due to the Google maps errors / endless changes caused by someone resubmitting corrections.

The other issue we get is people who just can't read maps. So, quite regularly if I use eircode, you'll get something like a pizza delivery guy going to the house directly behind me, which is actually not even on the same street. It's not Eircode's fault, but it would be avoided if the addresses weren't so daft.

Anyway, it's not to derail the thread but it's just somewhat typical of the chaotic way stuff is done in this city.

With the roads that were severed or changed, they really should prefix or suffix them with "Upper / Lower" or "Old" or something like that.

I don't think you can really change the name of an established road, but you can definitely add something to it to distinguish between two unconnected parts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Two new SHDs today:

276 units (137 houses + 139 apartments) at Ardarostig, Waterfall Road, Bishopstown. https://ardarostigplanning.ie/ (SHD previously refused here). Application

164 units (147 houses + 17 apartments) at Courtstown, Little Island. Consultation so no website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Anyone know what's planned for the hoarded off site just past the CSO on the left heading towards Mahon point.

I know they knocked some sort of factory there years ago and are using it as a car park, but I saw there was a large pile driving machine drilling there yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Anyone know what's planned for the hoarded off site just past the CSO on the left heading towards Mahon point.

I know they knocked some sort of factory there years ago and are using it as a car park, but I saw there was a large pile driving machine drilling there yesterday.

It was (and still may be) a JCD site. I think they parked it while they were working on Albert Quay and moving on to the Sextant as they only seem to deal with one large project at a time. With the Sextant on the long finger, maybe they are turning their attention back to this.
    The original plan was for three office blocks, IIRC and JCD went back to the Council for permission to change one block to apartments, which was rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭snotboogie

It was (and still may be) a JCD site. I think they parked it while they were working on Albert Quay and moving on to the Sextant as they only seem to deal with one large project at a time. With the Sextant on the long finger, maybe they are turning their attention back to this.
    The original plan was for three office blocks, IIRC and JCD went back to the Council for permission to change one block to apartments, which was rejected.

Yep I think they announced that they were starting a few months before lockdown. Bit disappointed if this is going ahead of Albert Quay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Shedite27 wrote: »

I worked in that Burgerland for a few years. Saturday nights were absolute mayhem

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I knew a lad who worked in Victoria hotel many years ago. He said some of the rooms occasionally had occupants complaining of certain supernatural occurrences and some hotel staff refused to go into one or two particular rooms to clean up. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I knew a lad who worked in Victoria hotel many years ago. He said some of the rooms occasionally had occupants complaining of certain supernatural occurrences and some hotel staff refused to go into one or two particular rooms to clean up. :eek:

Yeah right.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,876 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yeah right.

Most hotels in old buildings have these stories.

The Maldron being one.
    No doubt The imperial and metropole have their ghosts, too. Haven't heard about those ones, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Most hotels in old buildings have these stories.

The Maldron being one.
    No doubt The imperial and metropole have their ghosts, too. Haven't heard about those ones, though.

If you set out expecting one then you will "see" or sense one. Stories are all they are. I really don't know why people are more scared of stories than being attacked by a real, living scumbag. I've yet to hear of anyone hurt by a ghost.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Are they going to put up barriers to protect the new cycle lane on South Mall? If not it's just going to turn into a car park.

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »

Are they going to put up barriers to protect the new cycle lane on South Mall? If not it's just going to turn into a car park.

Is it signposted, etc?

Is it signposted, etc?

No idea. But signposts are about as useful as a chocolate fireguard as we know well from the abuse of the cycle lane at Alfred Street by motorists. The was until actual physical separation was put in place.

No idea. But signposts are about as useful as a chocolate fireguard as we know well from the abuse of the cycle lane at Alfred Street by motorists. The was until actual physical separation was put in place.

As the torn up tickets outside Con show, signage is everything

As the torn up tickets outside Con show, signage is everything

Signage didn't stop widespread abuse of Alfred Street by motorists. Enforcement is key. All the signs in the world are useless without enforcement or physical segregation.

Signage didn't stop widespread abuse of Alfred Street by motorists. Enforcement is key. All the signs in the world are useless without enforcement or physical segregation.

What I'm saying is that enforcement is not possible without correct signs.
    And, if there are not signs, it's not a bike lane

I'm just asking a question because the image doesn't show

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

What I'm saying is that enforcement is not possible without correct signs.
    And, if there are not signs, it's not a bike lane

I'm just asking a question because the image doesn't show

Signposts? Saying what?

"This way if you're a Dickh-ead" ?

Mardyke wrote: »
    Signposts? Saying what?

"This way if you're a Dickh-ead" ?

What's your problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

I worked in that Burgerland for a few years. Saturday nights were absolute mayhem

Is that the sign for CoCo's in the 2nd window from the left? Happy days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

What's your problem?

My problem is with entitled pricks that need a signpost to tell them not park on a cycle lane that has been put in to keep people safe.

My problem is that people are so lazy and ignorant these days that they couldn't care less if a kid (or anyone) died because of their illegal parking.

What's your problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Mardyke wrote: »
    My problem is with entitled pricks that need a signpost to tell them not park on a cycle lane that has been put in to keep people safe.

My problem is that people are so lazy and ignorant these days that they couldn't care less if a kid (or anyone) died because of their illegal parking.

What's your problem?

What cork_exile is saying is that without signposts enforcement is not possible from a legal perspective. Hence the comment earlier about the torn up tickets...

Advertisement