Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,949 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Why is it that other cities can keep their quay walls clean. I'm not talking about the fucus, I mean above the water line

It'll be shiny new concrete soon enough if OPW have their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

it's such a shame the old ground floor was ripped out. does anyone know if the Swamp unit next to it, now pandora, was ever part of the Hotel? They're very similar architecturally

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40284917.html?fbclid=IwAR2HywpI7c2xXMYfn86ruYYBgen3i__hPHR11kLGD-8yui0giGN4-8YwggI

Proposals to turn the old Hilsers Jewelers into public toilets are being protested against by English Market traders.

I actually feel the city could benefit from spacious, supervised, well maintained public toilet facilities, theres a real lack of options at the moment.

Kerry25x wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40284917.html?fbclid=IwAR2HywpI7c2xXMYfn86ruYYBgen3i__hPHR11kLGD-8yui0giGN4-8YwggI

Proposals to turn the old Hilsers Jewelers into public toilets are being protested against by English Market traders.

I actually feel the city could benefit from spacious, supervised, well maintained public toilet facilities, theres a real lack of options at the moment.

We do need it but I can see the issues, from an optics perspective, of a massive toilet right between the two entry points of an open air food market.

Health wise it would be of no concern but just the message it projects...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Isn't there already a public toilet in the market? Great they're doing something but we need more street accessible toilets that are open late.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Isn't there already a public toilet in the market? Great they're doing something but we need more street accessible toilets that are open late.

There is but it's not the first thing you see at the entrance. It's the prime spot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Why not utilise the toilets that they shut down on Grand Parade?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I see they have started knocking the Glenanaar Bar on Boreenmanna road for the car free apartment build

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Maybe they could fix them up and have them better policed to prevent them becoming an unsafe area again. They're extremely unappealing though to be fair, even if the below photo was cleaned up I'd avoid ever using them.

https://ibb.co/Xpct4sJ

• Registered Users Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Maybe they could fix them up and have them better policed to prevent them becoming an unsafe area again. They're extremely unappealing though to be fair, even if the below photo was cleaned up I'd avoid ever using them.

https://ibb.co/Xpct4sJ

I've used them occasionally late and they were never that bad! The council does seem to eschew maintenance in recent years more than usual though. Spend capital on something, wait till it is unusable through lack of maintenance, and spend capital replacing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40285829.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Was wondering why construction hadn't kicked off down there.

Yes but being cynical it wouldn't line buddie's and pal's pockets adequately enough.

TheChizler wrote: »

I found it to be developing world standard the one time I was forced by misfortune to use it.
    Hope Queenie didn't need to spend a penny that time in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

I see they have started knocking the Glenanaar Bar on Boreenmanna road for the car free apartment build

My dentist's tiny little building right next to it still standing but for how long I wonder. They were fighting a legal battle to stay there at the corner last I spoke to him about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

My dentist's tiny little building right next to it still standing but for how long I wonder. They were fighting a legal battle to stay there at the corner last I spoke to him about it.

This sounds like the Falveys situation in Douglas Village SC.

Looking at the planning file for this development it looks to be two apartment blocks adjacent to Boreenmanna Road and Wallaces Avenue with the dentist taking the corner!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Wouldn't be sorry to see this bleak Dunnes get redeveloped.

Plan to knock city Dunnes Stores and build new supermarket with cafe and outdoor seats

0_Screen-Shot-2021-05-11-at-135609.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

That's a listed building with significant historical importance.

:pac:

That "shopping center" has been mostly unoccupied for donkeys years. The clothes department must be closed 10 yrs ago at this stage at least. Its really just the Dunnes supermarket at the other end is still going.

The question is with Wilton shopping center only up the road, Aldi, Lidl nearby and Dunnes on Bandon road would it get enough footfall / business from the area?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Is there any update on the proposed development of Wilton Shopping Centre? I recall there were very grand plans and included a cinema. The Reel Picture group objected at the time, maybe ten years ago at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

opus wrote: »

Plan to knock city Dunnes Stores and build new supermarket with cafe and outdoor seats

My only surprise is they kept if going , despite apartments surrounding it, and the dunnes bishopstown court nearby being a better option

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Bassfish wrote: »
    Is there any update on the proposed development of Wilton Shopping Centre? I recall there were very grand plans and included a cinema. The Reel Picture group objected at the time, maybe ten years ago at this stage.

I think that was only 2017. It was a get planning and flip it, as soon as planning was granted the site went up for sale. Never heard anything again. All too familiar unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That's a listed building with significant historical importance.

:pac:

That "shopping center" has been mostly unoccupied for donkeys years. The clothes department must be closed 10 yrs ago at this stage at least. Its really just the Dunnes supermarket at the other end is still going.

The question is with Wilton shopping center only up the road, Aldi, Lidl nearby and Dunnes on Bandon road would it get enough footfall / business from the area?:confused:

I thought that place closed years ago.
    I'm pretty sure I've never been inside the door.

Also, why the hell does Cork have 2 Bandon Roads?
    There's the original one which is a continuation of Barrack Street and, now, the N71 is also called Bandon Road,according to Google maps.

Pretty stupid setup, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

My only surprise is they kept if going , despite apartments surrounding it, and the dunnes bishopstown court nearby being a better option

Extremely popular with Bishopstown residents. I lived beside for it a few years and it was very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Extremely popular with Bishopstown residents. I lived beside for it a few years and it was very handy.

A lot of elderly people too who prefer shopping in dunnes rather then lidl/Aldi, but the bigger dunnes is too big and too much selection. It's a nice, simple layout inside tbh. I'd be sad to see it go, we've went a lot of times during this Lockdown instead of the very busy Bandon Road one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 conjalu

Last time i passed there was a queue of 10 people outside waiting to get in. this place would be extremely popular with the nearby residents as its more accessible than the other Dunnes in Bishopstown and Wilton.

The large vacant unit on the site was the old Dunnes drapery section which closed once the other Dunnes openned.

To be fair, it is a massive waste of space in the heart of Bishopstown with a massively oversized car park. THere is massive potential to make something out of the place while at the sametime retaining the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Also, why the hell does Cork have 2 Bandon Roads?
    There's the original one which is a continuation of Barrack Street and, now, the N71 is also called Bandon Road,according to Google maps.

Pretty stupid setup, really.

Pretty simple really.

Barrack St. / Bandon Rd./ N71 was the original thoroughfare from the City to Bandon. Long predates Google maps and the development of Wilton / Bishopstown and the western suburbs, which severed the route .

Maybe they should have renamed it the Old Bandon Rd (like the Old Youghal Rd.) for the sake of Google Maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

What I dont get is why Bandon road doesnt go all the way, it stops at that junction and splits to Magazine Rd and Glasheen Rd, which I cant see as being much newer. Old Bandon Rd would be good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

What I dont get is why Bandon road doesnt go all the way, it stops at that junction and splits to Magazine Rd and Glasheen Rd, which I cant see as being much newer. Old Bandon Rd would be good

Magazine Rd was originally the Bandon Rd, renamed in 1775.

https://magazineroadresidents.com/?page_id=14#:~:text=Magazine%20Road%20itself%20was%20originally,near%20the%20North%20Gate%20Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭bevan619

opus wrote: »

Genuinely had no idea this existed. Always thought the new one was built in the place of an old one!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mav11 wrote: »
    Pretty simple really.

Barrack St. / Bandon Rd./ N71 was the original thoroughfare from the City to Bandon. Long predates Google maps and the development of Wilton / Bishopstown and the western suburbs, which severed the route .

Maybe they should have renamed it the Old Bandon Rd (like the Old Youghal Rd.) for the sake of Google Maps?

A city having two roads with the same name is just stupid and shouldn't happen.

I am able to grasp why either of these roads might be called Bandon Road, what I fail to understand is why both of them are called this.

The newer road could be called West Cork Road, innashannon Road or whatever.

It's only in recent years I've heard the road by Dunnes being called Bandon Road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

There are a few other examples of reuse of the same street name in Cork. The council should tidy it up.

Also while I’m on the topic of crazy stuff, the use of house names and no numbers in quite a few areas of this city is bonkers. How An Post ever allowed it to happen in fairly densely populated streets is beyond me. It’s also not snobbery where people replace numbers with house names, but you just have no numbering at all in some of the older parts of the city.

Advertisement