Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭whatever76

Was it a polish Supermarket ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I got to go into Atkins Hall before it was developed and after it was closed as a "hospital".
    It's was very strange and creepy. Bathroom with dozens of baths. Padded cells, just as you'd imagine them. Children's wards with Disney cartoons painted on the walls. It was horrible but I didn't say no to the offer of seeing the inside.
    I was there with one other person taking photographs of the exterior when a security guard arrived. Satisfied that we weren't up to no good he offered to allow us inside. Just had a quick gander around the ground floor and got out there pretty quickly.

Used hang around there as a teenager. There was a mortuary under the church and tunnels between buildings. Very atmospheric! Weirdly it was saint kevin's that used freak me out. Bad vibe off the place.
    Some cool pictures of it on abandoned Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Apogee wrote: »
    http://planning.corkcity.ie/AppFileRefDetails/2140106/0

Anyone happen to know what these buildings were previously used for?
    551490.jpg

It was originally the headquarters of the Cork Blood Transfusion Service

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Apogee

Looks like there was a similar planning application back in 2014:
    Haranka Ltd has applied for the demolition of the existing building at 21-23 Leitrim Street in Cork and the construction of 32 apartments and 12 car parking spaces. The plan comprises five one-bed apartments and 27 two-bed apartments.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/arid-20274077.html

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭DM-BM

Was that place not a carpet shop in the 90s?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭thejuggler

If memory serves there is/was a “wet house” nearby on Leitrim Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Apogee wrote: »
    http://planning.corkcity.ie/AppFileRefDetails/2140106/0

Anyone happen to know what these buildings were previously used for?
    551490.jpg

Copyquip were there for the longest time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

SHD going in next week for the last undeveloped site at Victoria Cross

https://twitter.com/CorkCraneCount/status/1388896062828593155

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

All great news on the construction front in Cork lately. Where are the builders going to come from!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Meursault wrote: »
    All great news on the construction front in Cork lately. Where are the builders going to come from!!
    When we reopen the pubs a few might come home from London

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Is there anything ever going to happen with the old nemo gaa site?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/developmentconstruction/arid-40282310.html

Article on new SHD at Kelleher’s Auto Centre at Victoria Cross.

They say their second site further up the Victoria Cross Road is to be on site by year end

They also have plans for a BTR apartment development that’s “central enough”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

marno21 wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/developmentconstruction/arid-40282310.html

Article on new SHD at Kelleher’s Auto Centre at Victoria Cross.

They say their second site further up the Victoria Cross Road is to be on site by year end

They also have plans for a BTR apartment development that’s “central enough”

Good to see. If student apartments go anywhere this is the perfect spot really.

Wonder where the centrel BTR site will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I would hope they have some public access on the ground floors, most of these student developments add to dead street frontage.

They put in a SHD consultation at the end of last year for 161 build to rent apartments beside the Blackpool Shopping Centre. Given that it’ll be beside a future railway station perhaps that’s “central enough”

marno21 wrote: »
    They put in a SHD consultation at the end of last year for 161 build to rent apartments beside the Blackpool Shopping Centre. Given that it’ll be beside a future railway station perhaps that’s “central enough”

That's been a future railway station since before the shopping centre was put in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Spotted this pic on the hoarding by the Mercy hospital this morning, definitely not was I was expecting.

https://twitter.com/Treb_Cork/status/1390043775788064772

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Looks great - very striking.

I think there used be a pub there until the mid- eighties which was demolished after the Mercy purchased it.

They've had prefabs on it for almost 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

opus wrote: »
    Spotted this pic on the hoarding by the Mercy hospital this morning, definitely not was I was expecting.

https://twitter.com/Treb_Cork/status/1390043775788064772

Great design looks fantastic, gets away from the blandness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭shnaek

I looks like it leans out in that photo, but if you look at the buildings around it they are all made to look like they lean out too. It's not an accurate rendering - I think it might well look bland enough in reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Hoarding up around the Victoria Hotel. Notice says construction has started. Hard to believe considering its probably the most important vacant site on Patrick's Street and de paper have said nothing. The same local media who wet themselves over anything happening on Panna, they'll run a front page on an ice cream shop opening there and have 24 hour teasers on twitter for "planning coming soon" on Penny's.

More details from a 2019 article here: https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40149899.html also notable that this had probably the most standard objection process ever with An Taisce and John Grace appealing to ABP before being thrown out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

I really hope that plan for a little open park here goes ahead as I get to see this depressing view way too often. A perma-boarded up patch of wasteland, with a falling down shed behind it & of course the ugly car park that looks more like a burnt out building.

552627.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I really hope that plan for a little open park here goes ahead as I get to see this depressing view way too often. A perma-boarded up patch of wasteland, with a falling down shed behind it & of course the ugly car park that looks more like a burnt out building.

552627.jpg

That car park has to be one of the ugliest buildings in Ireland never mind Cork!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

That car park has to be one of the ugliest buildings in Ireland never mind Cork!!

It ruins what otherwise is quite an attractive area. Even the cop shop is a lovely building.

I didn't know about the plans for the scrap area, good to hear about after years of neglect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭snotboogie

• Registered Users Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    It ruins what otherwise is quite an attractive area. Even the cop shop is a lovely building.

I didn't know about the plans for the scrap area, good to hear about after years of neglect.

The public toilets there is a really interesting building, too.
    Also, there's a lovely old arched gate tucked in behind Supermac's, too.

552627.jpg

Why is it that other cities can keep their quay walls clean. I'm not talking about the fucus, I mean above the water line

• Registered Users Posts: 39,683 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Why is it that other cities can keep their quay walls clean. I'm not talking about the fucus, I mean above the water line

Looks shabby enough. When was the last time that slipway(may not be the correct term) was used ? Cork city has huge potential if there was just a bit of Joined up thinking. That space above is going to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Shedite27 wrote: »

Do you remember Davill's 32 flavours ice cream in that unit? Or, rather it was a unit between burgerland and Pizzaland that got incorporated into Burgerland, first as their own ice cream parlor and then it became extra seating for burgerland. (the original door into Burgerland would have been to the left of where it is in that pic)
    That was a big deal at the time.

Advertisement