Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭TheChizler

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The brand new cycle lanes on Victoria Road have already been taken over by parked cars.

Been like that all week...

It's contraflow so to go around parked cars and Goldberg's shed you cycle head on into oncoming traffic. Hope they finish the job soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭RINO87

Shur lookit, theyre "only going to be a minute" I dont see wat the problem is......

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭timmyjimmy

The lane on the opposite side of the road from Goldbergs is a death trap. It makes cyclists look like they are cycling down Kennedy quay and then takes a sharp turn to the right to head down Victoria road. Before the lane was installed, it looked like cyclists were cycling on the road heading down Victoria rd, ie not go down Kennedy Quay, it was actually safer without the lane.
    Something needs to be done to slow cars going down the quays or else there's going to be a bad accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I thought they were segregating the cycle lanes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Planning granted to convert iconic Finn's Corner in Cork into a cafe

Apartments and a café. Cool. Not loving another café in that area but sure look.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/developmentconstruction/arid-40266641.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭timmyjimmy

funnydoggy wrote: »
    I thought they were segregating the cycle lanes?

They will be segregating those lanes but there will be a gap to leave vehicles down Kennedy quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Apogee

Development Description: Permission for demolition of existing warehouse buildings and construction of a residential apartment building ranging in height between 1 and 10 storeys and consisting of 78 no. units with ground floor café/retail unit and all ancillary site works at the corner of Alfred Street and Railway Street, Cork. The proposed development will consist of 6 no. 2-bedroom apartments, 43 no. 1-bedroom apartments, 29 no. studio apartments. The proposed ground floor will consist of a reception area, communal area, concierge desk and security office, kitchen, staff welfare facilities, meeting room, café/retail unit and secure bicycle parking area. Ancillary site works to include provision of communal open space roof terraces at first and seventh floor levels, residents lounge at first floor level , landscaping, ESB substation, generator room, LV room, sprinkler tank room, water meter room, comms room and storage.
    Development Address: Corner of Alfred Street, and Railway Street, Cork.
    http://planning.corkcity.ie/AppFileRefDetails/2140076/0
    550391.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Sure why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The brand new cycle lanes on Victoria Road have already been taken over by parked cars.

Just insufferable. Makes me want to take a baseball bat to this hunk of junk

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Planning granted to convert iconic Finn's Corner in Cork into a cafe

Apartments and a café. Cool. Not loving another café in that area but sure look.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/developmentconstruction/arid-40266641.html

Yet another set of apartments to be snapped up for an offshore investments crowd or can, god forbid, ordinary people buy these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Apogee wrote: »

It looks like a soviet era development. Will do wonders for the city.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭cantalach

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Just insufferable. Makes me want to take a baseball bat to this hunk of junk

Same here. But does anyone know if they have erected the mandatory signage yet to announce it as a "cycle track" (to use the official term). The Road Traffic Act is crystal clear on this point. A properly constituted cycle track must have the markings on the road AND the relevant signage. Without both it is just a road, and anyone is free to park there. This was the problem with the lanes outside Cork Con. All those fines were thrown out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Mav11 wrote: »
    It looks like a soviet era development. Will do wonders for the city.:rolleyes:

Yeah because the existing concrete warehouses it will replace are stunning and really do wonders for that area.

Yeah because the existing concrete warehouses it will replace are stunning and really do wonders for that area.

Yawn!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭ofcork

Losing alot of spaces on the south mall with the new cycle lane parallel parking now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭cantalach

ofcork wrote: »
    Losing alot of spaces on the south mall with the new cycle lane parallel parking now.

Yes, it's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Cycle parking is charged for in some parts of Tokyo. Cant be long 'till Cork is the same

0lddog wrote: »
    Cycle parking is charged for in some parts of Tokyo. Cant be long 'till Cork is the same

I can’t imagine how that would be enforced.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

By the city authorities?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Please elaborate on why this would happen in Cork & how such would be enforced, or considered a priority, when currently motorists are free to park illegally left, right and centre free of charge across town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Mav11 wrote: »
    I can’t imagine how that would be enforced.
    +1
    igCorcaigh wrote: »
    By the city authorities?
    Yup! :D
    Please elaborate on why this would happen in Cork & how such would be enforced, or considered a priority, when currently motorists are free to park illegally left, right and centre free of charge across town.

Hey, dont shoot the messenger !

Its probably in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnT_q49kvAs

If its not there then try https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0x8EAf4GSg

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭cc

I'd happily pay for some secure bike parking in town

cc wrote: »

Secure? How secure is street car parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭cc

Secure? How secure is street car parking?

I don't know, I usually park in multistorys when I drive in

• Registered Users Posts: 9,378 ✭✭✭Shedite27

cc wrote: »

Drury Street car park in Dublin has an area for bike parking, lots of CCTV cameras to deter anyone nicing your bike
    https://www.dublincity.ie/residential/transportation/cycling-dublin-city/cycle-parking

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Drury Street car park in Dublin has an area for bike parking, lots of CCTV cameras to deter anyone nicing your bike
    https://www.dublincity.ie/residential/transportation/cycling-dublin-city/cycle-parking

As far as I can remember there was a problem a few years ago, with Bikes getting stolen from that Drury St. bike park. The local scrotes knew that all the high value bikes were likely to be parked there and the CCTV and other security proved to be little deterrent in preventing the thefts.

I think, that problem has been sorted out since!

Another prime site (coal yard) for future development:
    Indepedent wrote:
    Semi-state company Bord na Móna is preparing to appoint a real estate agency as it looks to sell a large site in Cork city centre, which industry sources said could attract bids of up to €10m. Last week, Bord na Móna issued a request for tender seeking to appoint a real estate agency to undertake a sales process on a 4.5-acre site at Monahan Road, Cork.
    https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/bord-na-monas-former-cork-city-coal-depot-could-be-sold-for-10m-40320583.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭cgcsb

And obviously Cork is only ever days behind new developments in Tokyo, Earth's largest City, that was proved when Cork recently completed it's 27th metro line obviously.

Apogee wrote: »

I wonder is that the old Suttons site?

• Advertisement

Advertisement