Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭ofcork

Yes I would think so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Does anyone have information on the McMahons site on the Lower Glanmire road ?. I think there is a Lisney sign up but I can't find anything about it, what is being sold, what the likely development is ?

There were plans for it back in the early noughties, several apartment blocks including one 17 floor tower. Nothing came of it, but it might be an attractive site again if Horgan's Quay gets finished, and the Water St. bridge ever gets built.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭TheChizler

snotboogie wrote: »
    Interesting. That's the site mentioned on this article right?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/arid-30977892.html
    I think it's for facade repairs, saw that on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭opus

Planning for the new UCC/Tyndall building & a new bridge have appeared on the entrance to the old distillery on the North Mall.

549636.jpg

549637.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Dan Boyle on twitter saying that prep is starting for construction on the square deal site. Lots of sites ready to go for when construction comes back.

• Advertisement

Yes passed it earlier there was activity there.

opus wrote: »
    Planning for the new UCC/Tyndall building & a new bridge have appeared on the entrance to the old distillery on the North Mall.

549636.jpg

549637.jpg

Saw on twitter that some want the building there kept and not demolished,doesnt look that special.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Dan Boyle on twitter saying that prep is starting for construction on the square deal site. Lots of sites ready to go for when construction comes back.

Any idea when / if the Prism building is going to kick off?

Had a look on my way home from work just now, the diggers are a new arrival in there.

549699.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

One of the buildings proposed for demolition at the site is very interesting and unusual. There is a petition to preserve it. I had thought it was a protected structure but apparently not.

https://www.change.org/p/university-college-cork-save-the-cork-distiller-s-bottling-plant?redirect=false

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Any idea when / if the Prism building is going to kick off?

Not really. Think the developers commented a few months ago that the market for office space has changed and they were reviewing their options after covid, or something to that effect.

One of the buildings proposed for demolition at the site is very interesting and unusual. There is a petition to preserve it. I had thought it was a protected structure but apparently not.

https://www.change.org/p/university-college-cork-save-the-cork-distiller-s-bottling-plant?redirect=false

Mentioned it above was only built in 1964.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ofcork wrote: »
    Mentioned it above was only built in 1964.

Is this a reason to not preserve it, in your opinion?

I don't have strong opinions either way but surely the year it was built is hardly relevant in deciding what should be kept and what should be destroyed?

Not at all doesnt look very special imo.

Because it's not. It's a basic factory building, it's hardly the James's Gate power plant.

549796.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Matteyd

Apparently its full of asbestos. Either way it has an extreme 80s decor inside, hasnt been in use for quite some time. UCC use it as a storage unit for the archaeology department, and down the end there is some kind of furniture company warehouse.

What kind of work would the Tyndall be doing in the proposed build? Thats right in the middle of UCC's environmental campus and I'd be disappointed if they didn't get increased facilities too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Personally speaking, I'm usually a fan of retaining/restoring buildings but I wouldn't be at all disturbed if it were knocked. Might depend a lot on what takes its place, mind you!

The Cooperage immediately to the East, is nicer; would like to see that retained.

Matteyd wrote: »
    Apparently its full of asbestos. Either way it has an extreme 80s decor inside, hasnt been in use for quite some time. UCC use it as a storage unit for the archaeology department, and down the end there is some kind of furniture company warehouse.

What kind of work would the Tyndall be doing in the proposed build? Thats right in the middle of UCC's environmental campus and I'd be disappointed if they didn't get increased facilities too

It's an expansion of the Tyndall Research Institute so the whole building is for that. UCC & the Mercy own that site so plenty of scope there if they want to build other facilities. The Mercy also has plans there I believe so there's no way that old warehouse can survive I'd guess.

This gives an idea of how it might turn out with a new pedestrian bridge linking old & new.

https://twitter.com/CorkCraneCount/status/1380262417842704391
    who_me wrote: »
    Personally speaking, I'm usually a fan of retaining/restoring buildings but I wouldn't be at all disturbed if it were knocked. Might depend a lot on what takes its place, mind you!

The Cooperage immediately to the East, is nicer; would like to see that retained.

I'm wouldn't be a fan of demolishing old stuff but in this case I'd agree with you. Having looked around it a few times, it's fairly nondescript, crumbling, riddled with asbestos & full of junk. I'd never heard anything about it anywhere 'til the new plans were announced last week.

Given UCC's insatiable appetite for land, does anyone else that that is too low rise?

Anything they do should be forced up to curb their sprawl

Given UCC's insatiable appetite for land, does anyone else that that is too low rise?

Anything they do should be forced up to curb their sprawl

It's seven stories at its highest I think, doubt they're be allowed go any higher (if they're even allowed that).

I'd agree with you about all the site purchases by them, cheap money from the European Investment Bank I'd guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Apogee

This is the rough plan for the site from the Mercy's website.

The two parts circled are the current planning application so lots more to come.

549932.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CorkCraneCount

who_me wrote: »

The Mercy master plan has the cooperage being fully retained and converted into a new psychiatric unit.

It’s interesting that this Tyndall building seems longer along the river than the tower indicated in the Mercy plan. Covers part of the ground that was indicated for a Mercy building (to west of this proposal?)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The Mercy master plan has the cooperage being fully retained and converted into a new psychiatric unit.

A veritable barrel of laughs!

It’s interesting that this Tyndall building seems longer along the river than the tower indicated in the Mercy plan. Covers part of the ground that was indicated for a Mercy building (to west of this proposal?)

Didn't know that the Mercy were planning on kicking out the part of the Biological, Earth & Environmental Sciences dept that are based there, best of luck to them with that!

Guess the Mercy plan is an aspiration whereas the UCC planning application is for a real development. Would be gas if the Mercy objected to the plans of the co-owner of the site, would lead to interesting battles in the years to come :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CorkCraneCount

Didn't know that the Mercy were planning on kicking out the part of the Biological, Earth & Environmental Sciences dept that are based there, best of luck to them with that!

Guess the Mercy plan is an aspiration whereas the UCC planning application is for a real development. Would be gas if the Mercy objected to the plans of the co-owner of the site, would lead to interesting battles in the years to come :)

I don’t think either party is making any moves without the consent of the other. The Mercy plan was a master plan. It’s the nature of those that they’re indicative rather than exact. I suppose there was more refinement of the allocations in that area of the site, when the Tyndall requirements were fully defined.

Same goes for the cooperage. More of the Mercy stuff was at the eastern end and more of the UCC stuff was at the western end. That’ll necessitate some swaps of current function/occupancy. The Cooperage will have more momentum to retain it than the factory does. Size probably suits that required for psychiatric service and I could see a very imaginative adaptation to the needs of those patients there. There might be less objections to adaptations if they’re for a group of patients rather than a group of scientists?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It's an expansion of the Tyndall Research Institute so the whole building is for that. UCC & the Mercy own that site so plenty of scope there if they want to build other facilities. The Mercy also has plans there I believe so there's no way that old warehouse can survive I'd guess.

This gives an idea of how it might turn out with a new pedestrian bridge linking old & new.

https://twitter.com/CorkCraneCount/status/1380262417842704391

I'm wouldn't be a fan of demolishing old stuff but in this case I'd agree with you. Having looked around it a few times, it's fairly nondescript, crumbling, riddled with asbestos & full of junk. I'd never heard anything about it anywhere 'til the new plans were announced last week.

I'd read about / seen pics of the building before , stuck in my mind because I hadnt noticed it before ,so went looking ,
    Not surprised that they're not keeping the whole building, but a little odd they haven't planned on incorporating the frontage - could be a case though of by the time you've replaced the glazed front and the decorative concrete roofline ( if it's deteriorated) , there'd be nothing left to preserve. ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The brand new cycle lanes on Victoria Road have already been taken over by parked cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭cgcsb

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The brand new cycle lanes on Victoria Road have already been taken over by parked cars.

OMG, is that person for real?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

namloc1980 wrote: »

[/URL]

The ignorance is astounding....I'm actually speechless. Hope someone reported that.

Advertisement