Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AI Senior Hurling- Liam McCarthy Cup 2018

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

lim4ev wrote: »
    I dont agree

Time will tell

Hopefully I'm wrong (it happens frequently). I'd love to see Limerick give it a rattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,722 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

One thing which needs to be looked at going forward is the league structure. 1B is a far better place to be than 1A. It's wrong that the 4th place team in 1B get to a quarter final. Two 1B teams in final. Needs to be restructured.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Galway are a formidable outfit but we're not without hope

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    One thing which needs to be looked at going forward is the league structure. 1B is a far better place to be than 1A. It's wrong that the 4th place team in 1B get to a quarter final. Two 1B teams in final. Needs to be restructured.

There should only be 2 q/fs at most, if not scrapped, entirely but not sure how you relate the League to championship. Is it all that significant two 1B teams have reached the final or is it merely just coincidence? When’s the last time it happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No point in quarter finals it should be top three from 1A and top from 1B in semi finals. If hurling wants a break in the middle of the round robin series the quarter finals should be scarficed.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,722 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

There should only be 2 q/fs at most, if not scrapped, entirely but not sure how you relate the League to championship. Is it all that significant two 1B teams have reached the final or is it merely just coincidence? When’s the last time it happened?

Imo it's just too easy to coast along in 1B and introduce some young players and keep their top players wrapped in cotton wool knowing well they're guaranteed a quarter final spot. Build slowly and start to peak for championship while the 1A clubs are knocking lumps out of each other trying to avoid relegation.

I'd much rather my team got relegated and then they could try out a few more young players next year with little or no pressure on them in the league. That's not a healthy league dynamic.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

Imo it's just too easy to coast along in 1B and introduce some young players and keep their top players wrapped in cotton wool knowing well they're guaranteed a quarter final spot. Build slowly and start to peak for championship while the 1A clubs are knocking lumps out of each other trying to avoid relegation.

I'd much rather my team got relegated and then they could try out a few more young players next year with little or no pressure on them in the league. That's not a healthy league dynamic.

They should split the top teams between A and B so the lesser teams get exposure to top end hurling. It will certainly help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Yeah you may have a point there alright. If it was 2 up 2 down you’d at least restrict it a little bit. On the other hand you can coast in 1 A if you feel like it, as I think Cork did this year. Some teams trying, others giving it a miss has been a feature of the league in all the time I’ve been watching hurling.

They do need to do something with it alright, agree on that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭LMK

Referees are really struggling to keep up with play it's gone to the point where the action is too quick for any one person to ref the game... I thought the ref today lost control for a while because he left a lot go in the first half to keep the flow going.. then when the lines began to be crossed in the second he had his hands full..
    Also think the foul on JC by Cleary when he was the last man is becoming too common as a result it's robbing the game of goals.. too cynical and isn't being punished by the rules..

Final has thrown up a novel pairing, I hope Limerick win it, but it's impossible to call, Galway of 2017 would be fairly clear favorites, but there's not much in it this year..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

LMK wrote: »
    Referees are really struggling to keep up with play it's gone to the point where the action is too quick for any one person to ref the game... I thought the ref today lost control for a while because he left a lot go in the first half to keep the flow going.. then when the lines began to be crossed in the second he had his hands full..
    Also think the foul on JC by Cleary when he was the last man is becoming too common as a result it's robbing the game of goals.. too cynical and isn't being punished by the rules..

Final has thrown up a novel pairing, I hope Limerick win it, but it's impossible to call, Galway of 2017 would be fairly clear favorites, but there's not much in it this year..

I like to see refs letting things go but today seemed crazy. There was one particular instance where Padraig Mannion was coming out with the ball and was fouled repeatedly before bring wrestled to the ground and a free was not given. Very hard to see how the ref didn't award a free that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Final could go either way. The fact that Galway have the big game experience and having done it before gives them the edge on paper - 60/40 game.

Clare hadn't a clue what they were doing in the first half whether to lump it on Conlon or put it into space and as a result did neither and they got destroyed. Once they fronted up and went man on man they stormed back and they could have won it. They left Thurles with a lot of regrets. Shane ODonnell had been getting a lot of criticism but he stood up today.

Galway ground it out like champions but it seemed like they were very leggy in the forwards and weren't bouncing off the ground at all. Canning brought it today like a clutch player should. His sideline was "cometh the man" stuff.

Thought the ref was very poor and there won't be many Christmas cards making their way to Tipp from Galway. He swallowed the whistle and let a lot go that favoured Clare in the second half.

If the final is in the melting pot with ten to go there will be a lot of fluttering hearts on Shannonside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Refs are supposed to implement the rules

Stop this 'letting the game flow' craic.
    Once players know they won't get away with fouling it will flow

Joe Canning got away with 4/5 clear fouls hugging players or stopping the free hand playing the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Joe Canning got away with 4/5 clear fouls hugging players or stopping the free hand playing the ball

dead right , if its a foul call it ,if not then dont , last week when clare played galway in croke park i think the free count was 11 to 14 in favor of galway over the course of 93 minutes today clare got the benefit of the doubt in several situations but i would be surprised if either side were awarded more then 12 or 13 frees each

• Registered Users Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Cleary literally had him in a bear hug for 2 games in a row. Had zero interest in playing the ball. Rarely see Joe as angry as he was today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Jesus lad get real it’s about time canning got some protection from refs . Taking a lot of stuff when nowhere near the sliothar. One thing is for sure he takes a lot more punishment then he dishes out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Cleary literally had him in a bear hug for 2 games in a row. Had zero interest in playing the ball. Rarely see Joe as angry as he was today.

i wont argue with you on this but as posted elsewhere are refs told to let as many fouls go as possible

galway are a serious side but they need to work on there game management , they had us trashed both last week and this week and let us back into it ,a lot of galway people think fergal horgan kept us in it ....he didnt ye did , ye never kicked on again !!
    i have witnessed limerick in 3 all irelands to date and they normally get very carried away whe they get there , not at the moment , i feel they could capitalize on galway's seemingly only weak spot if ye dont rectify the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Hitchens

spurshero wrote: »
    Jesus lad get real it’s about time canning got some protection from refs . Taking a lot of stuff when nowhere near the sliothar. One thing is for sure he takes a lot more punishment then he dishes out

you have a referee, 2 linesmen and 4 umpires and they never seem to see this carryon.

likewise the commentators, you could be hit with a hatchet in the GAH and it's ..........."no malice intended" ... or ........... "it's getting to know you"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

They need to let the game somewhat too. Has to be a balance. It would ruin the game if they were blowing every 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

djPSB wrote: »
    They need to let the game somewhat too. Has to be a balance. It would ruin the game if they were blowing every 30 seconds.

You wouldn't mind the slight pull on the arm but lads constantly clipping fellows on the elbow, smacking their knuckes or grabbing the hurl and that's before you get to the blatant drag downs. That stuff can't be let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

elefant wrote: »
    No, the other one. A long ball into the square was broken out the side, and the goal came from that.

Ya you're right, think it was Conlon was in the square originally.
    Good spot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I had a lot of respect for him after the final last year but Horgan let way too much go yesterday. It all escalated to a very dangerous hit by David Burke late on which he was very fortunate not to get sent off or do damage to Shanagher. That's what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

I had a lot of respect for him after the final last year but Horgan let way too much go yesterday. It all escalated to a very dangerous hit by David Burke late on which he was very fortunate not to get sent off or do damage to Shanagher. That's what happens.

When lads are being let away with pulling and dragging throughout the game, it will generally escalate. Bit by bit the fouls will get nastier.
    If a ref doesn't lay down the law early on players will naturally enough take advantage of the looseness

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭farmerval

Tyson, it's crazy that a team can be relegated from the top division and still win the competition the next year. Dvision 1B is teh second division and the only prize should be promotion. If we saw the same situation where teh fourth placed team in the secnd division could win the league title in any other sport we wouldn't believe it.

The GAA made an arse of changes for this year, moving the final back into August and adding the round robin at the same time. they need to drop the league quarter and semi finals, have a division 1A and 1B final and relegation play off, nothing more.

The round robin needs one week complete break or at least guarentee each team one week off after two games.

Be really interesting to see how many counties get their club championships sorted now with supposedly more time available.

Hidalgo wrote: »
    When lads are being let away with pulling and dragging throughout the game, it will generally escalate. Bit by bit the fouls will get nastier.
    If a ref doesn't lay down the law early on players will naturally enough take advantage of the looseness

Some of the pulling and dragging was dangerous yesterday, Fergal Horgan had no control. Late on Joe Canning was involved in pushing and shoving with three Clare players and another Clare player runs in with an elbow to the head, had to be a straight red, nothing said or done several times yesterday players were caught with both arms and thrown to the ground and no free?
    I thought it was obvious yesterday that players knew that they would get away with an awful lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Robson99

And what about the 10 times he was wrestled by Cleary off the ball.???
    Did you notice any of that ???
    Horgan rode Galway yesterday in the worst refereeing performance since John Denton in 89
    But ya Canning was the one fouling. Think you should take a good look at the game again

farmerval wrote: »
    Some of the pulling and dragging was dangerous yesterday, Fergal Horgan had no control. Late on Joe Canning was involved in pushing and shoving with three Clare players and another Clare player runs in with an elbow to the head, had to be a straight red,

Seen that as well and it was a cowards hit. Should have been a red. A lot worse than Burkes hit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭C__MC

Would still think Galway are strong favourites to retain this

They know the occasion so well since 2012

They have grinded out wins this season

Limerick don’t know the occasion that well

Although limerick were excellent in semi, it looked quite a tame exit for them until the last ten.

Funny after a cracking championship that both finalists are coming off poor semi final performances.

Galway, apart from the replayed Leinster final have been definitely below par.

The huge question is can Limerick perform on the big day. The opportunity for a young team to win an all Ireland in their first year together is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

By contrast to the Final last year Horgan was down on Galway yesterday. That happens when you're champions as the refs latch on to misdemeanours from watching back videos. The champions will always be to the fore in those videos as they will be involved in more matches. Refs cop onto tactics used and ref accordingly.

Yesterday was just a case of Galway's "tactics" catching up on them. They can expect more of the same in the Final. Champions learn to live with it.

• Advertisement

Grats wrote: »
    By contrast to the Final last year Horgan was down on Galway yesterday. That happens when you're champions as the refs latch on to misdemeanours from watching back videos. The champions will always be to the fore in those videos as they will be involved in more matches. Refs cop onto tactics used and ref accordingly.

Yesterday was just a case of Galway's "tactics" catching up on them. They can expect more of the same in the Final. Champions learn to live with it.

So refs are cheats???

Advertisement