Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AI Senior Hurling- Liam McCarthy Cup 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Grats wrote: »
    By contrast to the Final last year Horgan was down on Galway yesterday. That happens when you're champions as the refs latch on to misdemeanours from watching back videos. The champions will always be to the fore in those videos as they will be involved in more matches. Refs cop onto tactics used and ref accordingly.

Yesterday was just a case of Galway's "tactics" catching up on them. They can expect more of the same in the Final. Champions learn to live with it.

Yes because that's what certainly happened to Kilkenny when they were champions...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

How any galway fan can claim the ref rode them when David Burke isn't suspended for the final is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

spurshero wrote: »
    Jesus lad get real it’s about time canning got some protection from refs . Taking a lot of stuff when nowhere near the sliothar. One thing is for sure he takes a lot more punishment then he dishes out

You could say the same about most high profile forwards in the country. Canning has sailed close to the wind plenty of times over the last few seasons, he can be very loose with his swiping of the hurl at times, and deserved second yellows a few times that he didn't get. I can't believe I'm about to type this but I agree with nice_guy80, Canning,like a few other Galway players, has a habit of bear hugging and leading with the shoulder with arms out stretched when tackling players in possession. More power to them for getting away with it but the fact is they shouldn't be getting away with it

And before Galway posters lose their ****e again over someone questioning Holy Joe, stating that he that got away with a lot of fouling again yesterday doesn't imply that Cleary wasn't fouling him a lot as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

How any galway fan can claim the ref rode them when David Burke isn't suspended for the final is beyond me.

Probably the first decision that went in their favour all afternoon. And that was in injury time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

You could say the same about most high profile forwards in the country. Canning has sailed close to the wind plenty of times over the last few seasons, he can be very loose with his swiping of the hurl at times, and deserved second yellows a few times that he didn't get. I can't believe I'm about to type this but I agree with nice_guy80, Canning,like a few other Galway players, has a habit of bear hugging and leading with the shoulder with arms out stretched when tackling players in possession. More power to them for getting away with it but the fact is they shouldn't be getting away with it

And before Galway posters lose their ****e again over someone questioning Holy Joe, stating that he that got away with a lot of fouling again yesterday doesn't imply that Cleary wasn't fouling him a lot as well.

As odd as this sounds, I think Galway and Limerick would have picked each other, if given the choice.

Both play a similar style. It will be a case of match ups and winning your battles.

Galway are leggy, and I really wouldn't fancy playing Cork with their running style. We might be bigger than them, but you have to get near them to hit them.

Limerick looked more comfortable against Kilkenny than they did Cork, and I reckon Clare would have a psychological edge on them.

If Coen does a job on Lynch like he did on Kelly yesterday, and Burke does a job on Gillane like he did on Conlon yesterday, then Galway will win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Probably the first decision that went in their favour all afternoon. And that was in injury time.

Far from the first decision that went in their favour. From where I was I saw plenty of clever little fouls from Galway players that probably weren't picked up over the television.

Conor Cooney blatantly pushed in the back in the first half

A free in being converted to a throw ball because Cleary started wrestling with Canning.

Glynn pushed off his marker while in possession - free out. O donnell does the same - play on.

P Mannion fouled twice in one possession - nothing given.

Hanbury gets a yellow card for dissent over a line ball - Clare do exact same thing in first half, and nothing.

It was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

meriwether wrote: »

A free in being converted to a throw ball because Cleary started wrestling with Canning.

Glynn pushed off his marker while in possession - free out. O donnell does the same - play on.

Hanbury gets a yellow card for dissent over a line ball - Clare do exact same thing in first half, and nothing.

It was a joke.

Isn’t yesterday the type of refferring that the ‘meja’
    Wants......let the players flake the living sh1te out of one another.......??

Also the amount of ‘foul handpasses’ has become a joke...Not just yesterday but overall in general

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭LMK

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Isn’t yesterday the type of refferring that the ‘meja’
    Wants......let the players flake the living sh1te out of one another.......??

Hurling is played by super fit athletes... if the rules aren't (and they're not) going to be vigorously applied then it ruins the spectacle in my view..
    Extreme comparison.. if you were to apply the same level of leeway with the rules to American Football then there would be carnage during a game...
    Yesterday's ref came across as a character on the AI Final doc last year when we had access to his mic... but I think he's too keen to let things go and he's very unlikely to revert to red cards if his leniency is taken advantage of, the players sense that.. result is the game turns into something akin to bumpers..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

It was a joke.

Mannion was certainly fouled, but he also over carried & dropped the Hurley before handfasting. (Should have got his free before though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Burke won't be marking gillane, it will be Flanagan full forward with gillane corner

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

It was a joke.

And considering how eagle eyed the same referee was in the Galway v Kilkenny match in Salthill to spot Brian Conconnan in the square to disallow a goal - he blatantly ignored John Conlon in the square just before the Peter Duggan goal!

People and media complaining about the amount of wides Clare missed implying they threw the game away - how come nobody mentions the aimless positions they took a shot from ie sidelines, potshots from ridiculous angles etc. They weren't clear cut chances. Clare never led once in the game, as far as I remember they never even drew level. Galway equally had a large number of wides

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Robson99

It was a joke.
    And the cowards elbow into canning when he was surrounded by 3 Clare lads. Galway were punished every chance yesterday while Clare spent the game pulling dragging and fouling. No problem with Clare they got away with it. Problem with Horgan though with such one sided views

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

The ironic thing is - I will admit I am biased and do think Fergal Horgan screwed us a bit - but when Tony Kelly won that soft free - Horgan was very quick and rather harshly rushed to bring forward the ball. If he hadn't moved the ball forward; chances are Duggan would have pointed easily rather than just go through the motions like he did and have his shot blocked down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

donnem33 wrote: »
    The ironic thing is - I will admit I am biased and do think Fergal Horgan screwed us a bit - but when Tony Kelly won that soft free - Horgan was very quick and rather harshly rushed to bring forward the ball. If he hadn't moved the ball forward; chances are Duggan would have pointed easily rather than just go through the motions like he did and have his shot blocked down
    How close were they to the caretaker

It was a great game though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

It was justice served for him bringing up the ball.

kala85 wrote: »
    It was justice served for him bringing up the ball.
    Was he wrong to move the ball forward? Why?

Was he wrong to move the ball forward? Why?

For what reason was the ball brought forward?

I don't know. But it appears some posters do know, since they are stating that the decision was incorrect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

And considering how eagle eyed the same referee was in the Galway v Kilkenny match in Salthill to spot Brian Conconnan in the square to disallow a goal - he blatantly ignored John Conlon in the square just before the Peter Duggan goal!

People and media complaining about the amount of wides Clare missed implying they threw the game away - how come nobody mentions the aimless positions they took a shot from ie sidelines, potshots from ridiculous angles etc. They weren't clear cut chances. Clare never led once in the game, as far as I remember they never even drew level. Galway equally had a large number of wides

To be fair, not sure how far out the ref was but it's very difficult from that perspective to see whethere a player is in the square or not, you've to watch the ball travelling at speed and judge where the player is relative to the line which is hard when you've no elevation and are observing from maybe 50 yards away.

Certainly OTT blaming the ref for that. To be honest I thought he reffed as he always does. He lets plenty go, and that brought the ire of Waterford fans last year too without too much justification after the all Ireland final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

If Conlon had pulled on the ball to the net I'd be fairly certain between the three of them (ref and two umpires) it would of been ruled out. As it didn't seem to affect the game as is his reffing style he let it play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Mouthing, probably

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Mouthing, probably

Most likely and an offence he was unconcerned about when Clare were doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Can anyone explain the Duggan missed free towards the end of the game.....looked a fairly straight forward one, was it pure nerves, a wet ball (don’t think it was raining), did he slip, or was it a ‘kick’ as in snooker.....? In any case it was an inexcuisabke error....or am I being a bit harsh?

Most likely and an offence he was unconcerned about when Clare were doing it.
    What was Flynn doing with his hurl after he tripped Kelly?

Robson99 wrote: »
    And the cowards elbow into canning when he was surrounded by 3 Clare lads. Galway were punished every chance yesterday while Clare spent the game pulling dragging and fouling. No problem with Clare they got away with it. Problem with Horgan though with such one sided views

Burke's hit on Shanagher was as cowardly/dirty or whatever way you want to label it as you'll see (although it wouldn't have made any difference to yesterday's result imo)

Ya some of our shot selection was criminal, Kelly and Collins both had wides from right out on either sideline. Great pressure by Galway to force them out, but bats*it shot selection

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Can anyone explain the Duggan missed free towards the end of the game.....looked a fairly straight forward one, was it pure nerves, a wet ball (don’t think it was raining), did he slip, or was it a ‘kick’ as in snooker.....? In any case it was an inexcuisabke error....or am I being a bit harsh?
    He rushed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭C__MC

Horan played for a draw on Sunday

It’s something that annoys me in the GAA.

Refs playing for a draw by either giving a soft free or adding more time on

Grinds my gears

Who’ll get the final this year lads?

James Owens or mc Grath?

• Advertisement

C__MC wrote: »
    Horan played for a draw on Sunday

It’s something that annoys me in the GAA.

Refs playing for a draw by either giving a soft free or adding more time on

Grinds my gears

Who’ll get the final this year lads?

James Owens or mc Grath?

McGrath.

Advertisement