Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AI Senior Hurling- Liam McCarthy Cup 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭High bike

meriwether wrote: »
    McGrath.
    hope do Owens wants to be the star of the show

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭C__MC

Owens it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

C__MC wrote: »
    Owens it is

What date is set aside for the replay :D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 DuhJerk

Paud O'Dwyer ref's a good game

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭pajoguy

I says wrote: »

Saturday 8th apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

How does Joe public get a ticket for the final? No connections to a club, and any of my friends who have connections would have other people to give tickets to before me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

How does Joe public get a ticket for the final? No connections to a club, and any of my friends who have connections would have other people to give tickets to before me.

You'd need to have a season ticket for a competing county with the required attendance record. Other than that, go into one of Charlie chawkes pubs on Saturday evening or outside Bank of ireland in Drumcondra before the match or outside the Gresham on O'Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

Browney7 wrote: »
    You'd need to have a season ticket for a competing county with the required attendance record. Other than that, go into one of Charlie chawkes pubs on Saturday evening or outside Bank of ireland in Drumcondra before the match or outside the Gresham on O'Connell Street.

Tbh I doubt there will be many tickets like that floating around. Last year was the first time since my first final in 96 that I saw no one trying to offload tickets. Reckon it will be similar this year - limerick would fill croke park nearly on their own if they could!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I have been to many All Ireland finals since the early 1980s. Even ones that did not involve Galway.

Last year was without doubt the most emotionally charged final I have ever experienced. It was incredible- before, during and after. It had 2 novel teams with lots of hunger and heartache and many many years of hurt. Galway had never beaten the Deise in 9 championship meetings and lost 6 finals since 1988. And then there was the Tony Keady factor. I think many people were very emotional for a week afterwards. Winning was more relief than happiness.

This year's final also promises to be amazing. Limerick always bring the emotion and they have their own tales of woe. I guess the main difference is that Galway are reigning champions this time around.

I went to so many finals involving Kilkenny when they were flying it and their supporters acted like they had just won a league game when they won. They simply got Liam and medals too easy. It's great to have a 1990s style revival in hurling again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭BnB

RE Conlon being in the square for Peter Duggans goal, I was right on the endline (quality tickets) and I was watching John Conlon as the ball dropped in as it looked very like one that might end up in a square ball and I would be adamant that he did not go into it. Himself and his marker were right on the line and both of them ended up inside the square after the flight of the ball. I would have been fair peeved if it had been called as a square ball.

RE Canning, I think he was ultimately the difference between the two teams yesterday. Time and time again when Galway were under serious pressure, he stood up to be counted - won his own hard ball and took good scores. We (Clare) didn't seem to have a leader like that yesterday when we needed them (although Shane O Donnell to be fair to him, gave it a fair shot)

It was a funny 2 games - I think Clare played much better in the first game but were probably lucky to get the draw in the end. Then we didn't really play well at all in the replay, but with all our misses, we probably feel we should have won by a few points. But sure, that's sport. Having said that though, I would agree with a few posters here, I do think we got a bit more than our fair share of 50/50 decisions on the day and that might have kept us in touch a bit more than we should have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 jkiamasnake

My god I am sick of reading and listening about clare throwing that match away and about all referees are out to do Galway!!

Firstly clare - to throw a match away you actually have to be in the lead at least once during the match!!! Going on about 19 wides - how many were realistically score-able and how many were just hail mary shots. Take Peter Duggans line balls at very acute angles and say Tony Kelly with the last puck from nearly his own 45 year line...madness!! Clare also need to recognise that Galway had a huge proportion of wides too and also missed a clear cut goal with Conor Cooney in the first half. I didnt read anywhere last week saying Galway threw the match away with their 22 wides - which is exactly what they did. Bottom line is that Galway were able to get their scores that little bit easier than Clare - even allowing for a few soft frees awarded to Clare.

Now Galway - there is not a big conspiracy among referees to do ye!! Please stop with a lot of nonsense. Referees are human and make mistakes - the game is too fast now for just one man to referee now. Yes I did think the referee was very harsh on Galway both for the drawn match and the replay but generally over a season these things seem to balance themselves out.

Looking forward to the final and the scramble for tickets begins. I hope the best team wins....as long as its Galway! :D

• Administrators Posts: 53,458 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Many of the wides were score-able. That was part of the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

!!
    . I didnt read anywhere last week saying Galway threw the match away with their 22 wides - which is exactly what they did. Bottom line is that Galway were able to get their scores that little bit easier than Clare - even allowing for a few soft frees awarded to Clare.

:D

I thought that was a pretty common view about Galways first half performance last week? Should have been out of sight

I says wrote: »
    There won't be any reply bud ,no more 2nd chances:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭blackcard

Was Shane O'Donnell's pass to Aaron Shanagher a thrown ball?

I thought at the time it was but hard to be sure,anyway doesn't matter now Shanagher should have finished it he got 2 chances

DuhJerk wrote: »
    Paud O'Dwyer ref's a good game
    in fairness to him he's one of the better refs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

High bike wrote: »
    There won't be any reply bud ,no more 2nd chances:D

Pride before a fall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

blackcard wrote: »
    Was Shane O'Donnell's pass to Aaron Shanagher a thrown ball?

It was a thrown ball ,the only man to be pulled up on that this year was Ritchie Hogan in the limerick match they are all at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mucky_Tackies

Joe Daly wrote: »
    It was a thrown ball ,the only man to be pulled up on that this year was Ritchie Hogan in the limerick match they are all at it.

Can't recall who but someone was fine for it in the Limerick Cork match too, Morrissey I think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭lim4ev

On the ball Dan morrissey

Joe Daly wrote: »

What astonished me was that this passage of play was discussed on the Sunday Game, Off the Ball etc. and no one highlighted the thrown ball. I played it back a few times and came to the conclusion that it was a thrown ball. But either players have become so proficient at disguising it or refs have given up on penalizing it. I think that unless there is a clear handpasses motion, it should be penalized and that this should be rigouously enforced starting with the league next year. This may mean that some legitimate handpasses would be penalized but players would quickly realize that a clear handpassing motion had to be made.
    Not picking on Shane O'Donnell as every team is at it and they would be stupid if they were not as you can throw the ball faster, longer and more accurately. At the moment, it is a blight on the game but could be easily rectified

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

Nobody cares about the rules, they care about the drama. Steps as a case in point. Defenders have to foul the man because they can't force the man to foul the ball.

puzl wrote: »
    Nobody cares about the rules, they care about the drama. Steps as a case in point. Defenders have to foul the man because they can't force the man to foul the ball.

I think a he'll of amount of people do care about throwing the ball and the steps rule. It would be interesting if there was a poll on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭elefant

BnB wrote: »
    RE Conlon being in the square for Peter Duggans goal, I was right on the endline (quality tickets) and I was watching John Conlon as the ball dropped in as it looked very like one that might end up in a square ball and I would be adamant that he did not go into it. Himself and his marker were right on the line and both of them ended up inside the square after the flight of the ball. I would have been fair peeved if it had been called as a square ball.

He was 100% in the square before the sliotar. It was very clear on television that he was inside the edge of the square, waiting for the ball to come in. He wasn't running in after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭HenrysLeftHand

I think a he'll of amount of people do care about throwing the ball and the steps rule. It would be interesting if there was a poll on here.

The steps thing is the one thing in hurling that really grinds my gears. If a forward is fouled it's like he now has free reign to take as many steps as he wants and therefore fouls the ball. The advantage should be stopped in an instance like O'Donnell on Sunday and the free be taken.

Take an example from another sport. In rugby the attacking team have an advantage for an infringement. They subsequently knock the ball on. The ref doesn't turn a blind eye to this and they go back for the penalty. That's the way advantage is supposed to work in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

What astonished me was that this passage of play was discussed on the Sunday Game, Off the Ball etc. and no one highlighted the thrown ball. I played it back a few times and came to the conclusion that it was a thrown ball. But either players have become so proficient at disguising it or refs have given up on penalizing it. I think that unless there is a clear handpasses motion, it should be penalized and that this should be rigouously enforced starting with the league next year. This may mean that some legitimate handpasses would be penalized but players would quickly realize that a clear handpassing motion had to be made.
    Not picking on Shane O'Donnell as every team is at it and they would be stupid if they were not as you can throw the ball faster, longer and more accurately. At the moment, it is a blight on the game but could be easily rectified

Ya to me, every game features plenty dodgy handpasses.
    Of course you do the refs start pulling them all back there'll be a massive backlash by fans, media et al. "Sure the ref is killing the game, left it flow etc"

elefant wrote: »
    He was 100% in the square before the sliotar. It was very clear on television that he was inside the edge of the square, waiting for the ball to come in. He wasn't running in after it.

I was in the old stand at that end of the pitch. 100% square ball

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Ya to me, every game features plenty dodgy handpasses.
    Of course you do the refs start pulling them all back there'll be a massive backlash by fans, media et al. "Sure the ref is killing the game, left it flow etc"

Well they should or they should just get rid of the hand pass rule altogether. What's the point of having rules if they are not implemented in the big games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭buswankers

The steps thing is the one thing in hurling that really grinds my gears. If a forward is fouled it's like he now has free reign to take as many steps as he wants and therefore fouls the ball. The advantage should be stopped in an instance like O'Donnell on Sunday and the free be taken.

Take an example from another sport. In rugby the attacking team have an advantage for an infringement. They subsequently knock the ball on. The ref doesn't turn a blind eye to this and they go back for the penalty. That's the way advantage is supposed to work in my book.

Agree 100% with this. But also think this fouling of forwards to stop them scoring goals is ridiculous too, what happened Canning straight after O'Donnell scored on Sunday was ridiculous & Cleary only got a yellow for it :rolleyes:. I was at the match but watched it when I got home & even the commentators saying how Donohue would be questioning Burke afterwards as to why he didn't pull O'Donnell down to try & stop him scoring the goal, I was like, are ye serious, that's just blatant cheating & I think anyone that does that (be it Galway or Clare or anyone else) should be shown a straight red. Rant over.

Advertisement