Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

mod9maple wrote: »
    Mariners Cano suspended 80 games for PED use? That's what I'm reading on an SB Nation site anyway. Not sure if it runs concurrently with his time out due to injury. That hardly seems right. It's no punishment if he'd be out anyway! Still it'll be without pay.

Yeah it's confirmed on mlb.com now. Very disappointing.

Further info: he was found to be taking a diuretic, which can be used to mask other substances. There are also legitimate reasons for taking the drug though. However it is on the banned list. Sounds like he was in the middle of some appeal process when he broke his hand and he can serve the suspension while on the DL. He is not eligible for postseason however.
    He seems to be suggesting that a doctor gave it to him in the Dominican Republic and he didn't realise it was banned. Hard to feel sympathy. Each player has to take responsibility for what they put in their body

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ShyMets wrote: »
    He seems to be suggesting that a doctor gave it to him in the Dominican Republic and he didn't realise it was banned.

That seems to be the go to move lately for players failing drug tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

That seems to be the go to move lately for players failing drug tests.

Yeah it's hard to know what to think. Part of the problem is that the process for failed tests in the MLB is all done in secret with no visibility for the public so it's hard to figure out. I do want to believe that he did just get caught out but I'm really not sure.

In any case, what this means is that Gordon will move to 2B in the next few days and the Mariners suddenly have $11 million freed up to spend on trades - will be an interesting few days.

It was also reported that Cano dropped the appeal on Friday so this seems to be unrelated to his broken hand but who really knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,089 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Sigh. Watching stiffs like Wheeler and Vargas go out there, knowing my hero Bart's still pitching....

Noah and Jake, pray for a quake

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    Sigh. Watching stiffs like Wheeler and Vargas go out there, knowing my hero Bart's still pitching....

Noah and Jake, pray for a quake

I hope he never retires

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/bartolo-colon-uses-midsection-as-shield-on-comebacker/c-277059032

That's a great clip. Baseball will miss him when retires in 6-7 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Coming to an end this year, but "My, oh My" in the words of the immortal Dave Niehaus

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/lets-appreciate-how-long-ichiro-has-been-playing-professional-baseball/c-272597210

More bad news for the Mets as the injury bug strikes again. Juan Lagares done for the year as he needs an operation on his toe. And they have no healthy OFs on their 40 man to call up!

• Advertisement

More bad news for the Mets as the injury bug strikes again. Juan Lagares done for the year as he needs an operation on his toe. And they have no healthy OFs on their 40 man to call up!

This season is turning into a car crash, again! I've seen the suggestion that if the Mets continue to falter they should sell some of the aces and rebuild. Have to say that I'm beginning to come round to that idea

This season is turning into a car crash, again! I've seen the suggestion that if the Mets continue to falter they should sell some of the aces and rebuild. Have to say that I'm beginning to come round to that idea

The back page of either the Post or the Daily News today had deGrom and Syndegaard in Yankees uniforms and the headline was they should trade both to them.

Potential Mariners trades for Cano

https://www.mlb.com/news/robinson-cano-replacements-for-mariners/c-277168238

Getting Jones or Machado would be good.

Potential Mariners trades for Cano

https://www.mlb.com/news/robinson-cano-replacements-for-mariners/c-277168238

Getting Jones or Machado would be good.

Machado would only be a rental though. Would it be with giving up a lot for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭boccy23

Nationals postponed again tonight.

The back page of either the Post or the Daily News today had deGrom and Syndegaard in Yankees uniforms and the headline was they should trade both to them.
    Plane trip...molotov...Wilpons....

Glad I'm at the pub tonight. Arrrrrrgh

The Rays started reliever Sergio Romo last night (1 inning, 3 strikeouts!). The second guy in then came in and pitched 6+ innings. Weird way to manage a game but they got the win and Romo is going to start again tonight where I presume he'll pitch 1 inning again.

Nats lose Kendrick for the year so are calling up Juan Soto who is their no. 2 prospect. He's only 19 but apparently is the real deal. He started the season in single A ball and this is his 3rd promotion of the year already!

James Paxton has now thrown 2 complete games in his last 3 starts (including the no-hitter). The man is a machine - touch wood he doesn't get injured again.

• Advertisement

James Paxton has now thrown 2 complete games in his last 3 starts (including the no-hitter). The man is a machine - touch wood he doesn't get injured again.

Nice to see a manager trusting his pitcher to go the distance. Rare enough these days.

Mets sweep the D-backs. Nice to put together a few back to back victories.

I was surprised to hear Gary at the end say it was their first home 3-0 sweep since 2016.

Arizona are having their first little glitch of the season now. 1-9 in their last 10 now but they still lead their division. Dodgers coming on a bit now though.

Braves just scored 6 in the 9th to erase a 5 run deficit and beat the Marlins.

Liriano is no hitting the Mariners through 5.

Edit: make that 6, only needed 5 pitches for the 6th inning.

Edit 2: Mariners finally get a hit with 1 out in the 7th.

It was a good weekend for the Dodgers. Swept the Nats in Washington, and the D-Backs got swept themselves. Nice swing that was badly needed. Dodgers need to keep on a good run now though. No point in taking 3 from Washington, and then losing the next series

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Vladimir Guerrero Jr went 4 for 4 last night with a walk off homer. Now batting .423 for the season and just turned 19

He's batting .423 for the season!

Wasted at double-A, hate the service time rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭boccy23

8-10 wrote: »
    Vladimir Guerrero Jr went 4 for 4 last night with a walk off homer. Now batting .423 for the season and just turned 19

Apparently not so much service time as defense related and also opportunity. They have Josh Donaldson already at 3B and Vlad Jr. needs to improve this part of his game "significantly" is what I read.

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »

Isn’t his defense sub standard at the moment, or at least needs a bit more work? I don’t know but would AL teams have a young rookie as their DH?

Advertisement