Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

Would have to disagree with your comments on Kershaw. One of the best pitchers in baseball over the last two years. Only Max has out gunned him over that period and Kershaw was majestic in the playoffs for the most part over the last two years.

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2018/5/3/17314506/los-angeles-dodgers-clayton-kershaw-fastball-velocity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Pujols got to 2999 hits last night. I'm going to see Angels @ Mariners tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The Harvey era in NY is over

https://twitter.com/ByJamesWagner/status/992494817371480073

Now if they'd only do the same to Reyes, we'll all be happy.

Pujols got to 2999 hits last night. I'm going to see Angels @ Mariners tonight.

Enjoy. Only learnt today that Ichiro and Pujols made their MLB debuts on the same day.

Braves calling up Bautista tonight. They outscored the Mets 22-2 or something in the past few days so they're already scoring runs for fun so it'll be interesting to see how he gets on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

All over for Harvey. Mets DFA him. Such a same it ended this way

Poor old Yadi, wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

https://sports.yahoo.com/yadier-molina-lives-every-catchers-worst-nightmare-foul-tip-102-mph-pitch-215841118.html?guccounter=1

He’s had to have surgery and will be out a month. Ouch!

DeGrom to DL after all. They say it’s precautionary as he feels fine but based on history, I’m not as optimistic.

DeGrom to DL after all. They say it’s precautionary as he feels fine but based on history, I’m not as optimistic.

PJ Conlan from Belfast makes his MLB debut tomorrow.

6.75 ERA in AAA this season though but still nice to see an Irish lad play in the majors (even if he did emigrate when he was 2!)

Kershaw to the DL too

https://twitter.com/mlbrostermoves/status/993169255066734594?s=21

• Advertisement

PJ Conlan from Belfast makes his MLB debut tomorrow.

6.75 ERA in AAA this season though but still nice to see an Irish lad play in the majors (even if he did emigrate when he was 2!)

He's the first Irish born player to play in the since Joe Cleary pitched one game for the Washinton Senators in 1945.

New Mets management, same old injury issues.

Cespedas removed from the game today with dodgy hip.

New Mets management, same old injury issues.

Cespedas removed from the game today with dodgy hip.

Jaysus, the Mets are awful at the moment. 0-6 in this homestead where they led for a total of 2 innings and hit .190 or something.

Apparently Texas Rangers might be interested in Harvey.

Dan Wharten (former Mets pitching coach) is on the staff there so maybe he thinks he can do something with him. I heard the Giants are interested too but are worried about his impact on the locker room.

Either could trade a bag of balls for him before Saturday or else just wait it out and sign him as a free agent.

Dan Wharten (former Mets pitching coach) is on the staff there so maybe he thinks he can do something with him. I heard the Giants are interested too but are worried about his impact on the locker room.

Either could trade a bag of balls for him before Saturday or else just wait it out and sign him as a free agent.

He's worth taking a punt on. As you pointed out they'll get him for virtually nothing and if it dosent work out they can cut him quickly without much loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

Yankees red Sox confirmed for a two game series in London in June 2019,wonder will the games sell out as I wouldnt imagine MLB would have the same support in u.k as NFL has.

Yankees red Sox confirmed for a two game series in London in June 2019,wonder will the games sell out as I wouldnt imagine MLB would have the same support in u.k as NFL has.

Novelty factor will mean they’ll both sell out I’d say. And quite quickly too.

Novelty factor will mean they’ll both sell out I’d say. And quite quickly too.

Agree. Between Ex-Pats, UK/European fans and Event Junkies they'll be sell outs.

Can't see myself going to this. The thoughts of seeing an MLB game in London does nothing for me. Haven't entirely ruled it out though. I wait and see what the prices are like

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Mets/status/993978059710717952

Baseballs' weirdness is one of the reasons that makes the game so great. This guy was in the Reds line up for tonight's game but instead has to walk across to the other team's dressing room.

• Advertisement

Roberto Osuna has been placed on leave by MLB after being charged with assault.

James Paxton no hit the Blue Jays! Only 3 walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

ShyMets wrote: »
    Agree. Between Ex-Pats, UK/European fans and Event Junkies they'll be sell outs.

Can't see myself going to this. The thoughts of seeing an MLB game in London does nothing for me. Haven't entirely ruled it out though. I wait and see what the prices are like

If it were a random game I wouldn't bother but seeing as it's a Red Sox game I reckon I'll try to go.

Starting to worry about my Dodgers. I know it's only early in the season, but they haven't been able to show much consistency yet this season, and the D-Backs look strong.

They need a run of 20 games where most things go their way, and get back withing 3 or 4 games of the D-Backs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Starting to worry about my Dodgers. I know it's only early in the season, but they haven't been able to show much consistency yet this season, and the D-Backs look strong.

They need a run of 20 games where most things go their way, and get back withing 3 or 4 games of the D-Backs

The Dbacks look like the quality in the west at the moment. Strong line up and really tough rotation.

Dodgers really havent put it together at all yet though. Rotation struggling and their line up just hasnt hit. Still 125 games to go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭boccy23

The Dbacks look like the quality in the west at the moment. Strong line up and really tough rotation.

Dodgers really havent put it together at all yet though. Rotation struggling and their line up just hasnt hit. Still 125 games to go though.

I watched Sundays Dbacks game against the Astros. They were really excelllent. AJ Pollock is star in the making. Goldy hasn't hit yet (no RBI in last 20 games now!!), Lamb still has to come back and when Robbie Ray comes off the DL to go along with new finds like Koch, then they have a very strong core.

The management change in the front office two seasons ago is really paying dividends. The ex Red Sox guys have brought a very different culture and attitude and that is paying off.

With last nights win, they are still undefeated in a series this year and have only lost two consecutive games once this season.

There was a lot of talk of the humidor affecting them, but so far, that has not been the case. Only Goldy it would seem.

boccy23 wrote: »
    I watched Sundays Dbacks game against the Astros. They were really excelllent. AJ Pollock is star in the making. Goldy hasn't hit yet (no RBI in last 20 games now!!), Lamb still has to come back and when Robbie Ray comes off the DL to go along with new finds like Koch, then they have a very strong core.

The management change in the front office two seasons ago is really paying dividends. The ex Red Sox guys have brought a very different culture and attitude and that is paying off.

With last nights win, they are still undefeated in a series this year and have only lost two consecutive games once this season.

There was a lot of talk of the humidor affecting them, but so far, that has not been the case. Only Goldy it would seem.

Hazen is young, he's done a decent job in starting over but he took over a really healthy position in Arizona. The team came through a couple of bad season but had basically been rebuilt before Hazen got there. The health of the players and some of the young guns coming through have more to do with the turn around than anything Hazen has actually done.

For sure the Diamondbacks are legit. They look like one of the best teams in baseball right now.

Hazen is young, he's done a decent job in starting over but he took over a really healthy position in Arizona. The team came through a couple of bad season but had basically been rebuilt before Hazen got there. The health of the players and some of the young guns coming through have more to do with the turn around than anything Hazen has actually done.

For sure the Diamondbacks are legit. They look like one of the best teams in baseball right now.

The previous regimes had definitely done some good things which Hazen has been very quick to attribute last years success to. He was unwilling to accept much of any of the praise for last years Wildcard team.

But I think it is more of the attitude and use of analytics that he has brought over. The hiring of Torey Lovullo and the work on rebuilding the bullpen have all been done by Hazen or his crew of Jared Porter and Amiel Sawdaye.

We had Rodney last year cheap and replaced him with Boxberger this year cheap. All of the payroll flexibility has been taken by Grienke's contract (done by Dave Stewart). He is paid $32M this year from a total payroll of $113M. Goldy makes $11M on an excellent contract done by Kevin Towers. Boxberger is making $1.85M which is great business.

The acquisition of Souza, Dyson and Avila have all been nice pieces of business at good prices.

boccy23 wrote: »
    The previous regimes had definitely done some good things which Hazen has been very quick to attribute last years success to. He was unwilling to accept much of any of the praise for last years Wildcard team.

But I think it is more of the attitude and use of analytics that he has brought over. The hiring of Torey Lovullo and the work on rebuilding the bullpen have all been done by Hazen or his crew of Jared Porter and Amiel Sawdaye.

We had Rodney last year cheap and replaced him with Boxberger this year cheap. All of the payroll flexibility has been taken by Grienke's contract (done by Dave Stewart). He is paid $32M this year from a total payroll of $113M. Goldy makes $11M on an excellent contract done by Kevin Towers. Boxberger is making $1.85M which is great business.

The acquisition of Souza, Dyson and Avila have all been nice pieces of business at good prices.

I dont think there can be too many complaints about Greinke's contract. If you want an ace you have to pay the money to have one. Greinke's contract is a gem in comparison to ones that have come after him. 2016 was a down season but he bounced back nicely last year was an all star and fouth in voting for the cy young, got a golden glove and is a decent hitter to go with it.

The Diamondbacks have been excellent to start the season but that's one hell of a tough division. Along way to go to September but if Goldy starts hitting then this team can surely improve more which is scary for the Dodgers et al.

• Advertisement

I dont think there can be too many complaints about Greinke's contract. If you want an ace you have to pay the money to have one. Greinke's contract is a gem in comparison to ones that have come after him. 2016 was a down season but he bounced back nicely last year was an all star and fouth in voting for the cy young, got a golden glove and is a decent hitter to go with it.

The Diamondbacks have been excellent to start the season but that's one hell of a tough division. Along way to go to September but if Goldy starts hitting then this team can surely improve more which is scary for the Dodgers et al.

When you look at the lineup that the Dodgers rolled out last night, it's not hard to see why they are struggling:

Taylor
    Verdugo
    Grandal
    Bellinger
    Kemp
    Pederson
    Muncy
    Utley

Compare that to Game 7 in WS:

Taylor
    Seager
    Turner
    Bellinger
    Puig
    Pederson
    Forsythe
    Barnes

I do think that they will put it together better when the injured guys come back. Long way to September.

Advertisement