Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Its definitely the injuries that have taken their toll but the dodgers pitching has been pretty poor as well, thats the problem for them at the moment. Seager is gone for the season they need someone to step up there but Puig and Turner will return soon but that may not add much in terms of improvement. Turner should provide some reliability at the plate but Puig is streaky at best.

Ah its still early though, it wasnt so long ago the Nats were 8 backs back on the Mets this season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Ah its still early though, it wasnt so long ago the Nats were 8 backs back on the Mets this season!

Mets are so bad at the moment that they erased a double by batting out of order. I'd imagine you don't see that at little league too often, never mind the bloody majors.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23451974/new-york-mets-bat-order-first-inning-cincinnati-reds

And after going 11-1, they have gone 7-16 since.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Doogs27

Just saw that seager play to keep Paxtons nó hit going. What a play, he had it out of his hand so fast.

Doogs27 wrote: »
    Just saw that seager play to keep Paxtons nó hit going. What a play, he had it out of his hand so fast.

Best part of the no hitter, no doubt about it. Some terrific defence in that game though to be fair.

Mets are so bad at the moment that they erased a double by batting out of order. I'd imagine you don't see that at little league too often, never mind the bloody majors.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23451974/new-york-mets-bat-order-first-inning-cincinnati-reds

And after going 11-1, they have gone 7-16 since.

Nats gone 9-2 in their last 11 has definitely helped although last night's loss was unexpected and possibly avoidable. We talked about this pre season but the Braves and Phillies improvement's are definitely real. Both look solid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭boccy23

Nats gone 9-2 in their last 11 has definitely helped although last night's loss was unexpected and possibly avoidable. We talked about this pre season but the Braves and Phillies improvement's are definitely real. Both look solid!

Interesting series starting tonight between the Nats and Dbacks. Probably best two NL teams this year.

Still look short of the AL juggernauts of the Yanks, Sox and Stros.

boccy23 wrote: »
    Interesting series starting tonight between the Nats and Dbacks. Probably best two NL teams this year.

Still look short of the AL juggernauts of the Yanks, Sox and Stros.

Dont forget the angels, they look decent as well.

This will be a good series for sure. I'd be happy to split it to be honest and thats from a stand point that I think the Diamondbacks should win tonight and we probably have an edge on the mound Friday and Saturday. Nats have some momentum though and gave Harper a night off last night to be ready for this series.

Dont forget the angels, they look decent as well.

This will be a good series for sure. I'd be happy to split it to be honest and thats from a stand point that I think the Diamondbacks should win tonight and we probably have an edge on the mound Friday and Saturday. Nats have some momentum though and gave Harper a night off last night to be ready for this series.

Agree with that. They moved up Greinke maybe to avoid Scherzer. Koch has been good, but that match up and Strasburg against TBD should favour the Nats. Although, we did beat Strasburg last time out in Nationals Park.

Agree with that. They moved up Greinke maybe to avoid Scherzer. Koch has been good, but that match up and Strasburg against TBD should favour the Nats. Although, we did beat Strasburg last time out in Nationals Park.

Stras is having a decent season. I think he'll be difficult to get at. Same though for Hellickson who goes on Sunday night, he's been great for us this year. It's going to be a good series.

Very good game last night between the Dbacks and the Nats. Greinke did his best. 7 IP with 1ER. Drove in the Dbacks only run and stole a base.

Dbacks couldn't get it done in the 10th and the Nats did in the 11th when they had their chance.

• Advertisement

Very good game last night between the Dbacks and the Nats. Greinke did his best. 7 IP with 1ER. Drove in the Dbacks only run and stole a base.

Dbacks couldn't get it done in the 10th and the Nats did in the 11th when they had their chance.

It was a good game. I thought we should have won it earlier to be honest , but Greinke pitched a gem. As did Roark.

Mets announce line up for tonight. Hopefully they'll bat in the proper order this time.

Nice to see McCutchen get a decent welcome back in Pittsburgh on Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Cano got whacked by a pitch right on the hand and fractured it. Likely out 6 weeks+, which is going to be tough to swallow for the Mariners.

Cano got whacked by a pitch right on the hand and fractured it. Likely out 6 weeks+, which is going to be tough to swallow for the Mariners.

That's a big blow alright. Any chance Ichiro un-retires?

Mets and Phillies just had a 40 minute 1st inning with no runs scored (and there were no injury delays etc.).

That's a big blow alright. Any chance Ichiro un-retires?

Not sure if that makes sense. I'm not sure that Ichiro can play 2nd base and the Mariners are somewhat stacked with outfielders.

So the Nats sweep the best team in the NL, to move to tied for the most wins in the NL. Team is most definitely moving in the right direction. The addition of Reynolds seems to be a smart one. Harper, Turner turning things around and the rotation has been lights out to be fair, starting 4 pitchers only gave up 4 ER over the 4 game series. Pleasantly surprised as I would have taken a split on Friday.

On an interesting side note. How big a mess are the Dodgers right now? They cant seem to do anything right.

On an interesting side note. How big a mess are the Dodgers right now? They cant seem to do anything right.

Just swept at home by the Reds :(

A couple of years ago, we had a poor start, and were something like 14 games behind the Giants in June, and managed to win the NL West. That was helped by the Giants falling off a cliff.

Dodgers definitely playing like the team who lost something like 20 out of 21 in September last season

Nothing is clicking at the moment

• Advertisement

Just swept at home by the Reds :(

A couple of years ago, we had a poor start, and were something like 14 games behind the Giants in June, and managed to win the NL West. That was helped by the Giants falling off a cliff.

Dodgers definitely playing like the team who lost something like 20 out of 21 in September last season

Nothing is clicking at the moment

The injuries to the line up are really causing mayhem as they just havent got lads to drive in base runners.

A big deficit early isnt really a problem its a long season but at the moment with no Kershaw and the rest of the rotation struggling along with the line up issues it's hard to see how they turn it around. Getting Turner back tomorrow will help.

Still i dont see the Diamondbacks falling off a cliff and I actually have a sneaky feeling that the Giants are going to be decent all the way through this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Not sure if that makes sense. I'm not sure that Ichiro can play 2nd base and the Mariners are somewhat stacked with outfielders.

Dee Gordon did win a gold glove @ second, but the M's are saying no way he goes there. Seems like an obvious switch to me, and put someone else in the outfield.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Dee Gordon did win a gold glove @ second, but the M's are saying no way he goes there. Seems like an obvious switch to me, and put someone else in the outfield.

Seems from within the organization they want to turn Gordon into a centre fielder and moving him back to the infield would stop any progress currently being made on that.

They have a few options though with Romine and Beckham. They could also look at free agency, isn't Brandon Phillips still available?

So the Nats sweep the best team in the NL, to move to tied for the most wins in the NL. Team is most definitely moving in the right direction. The addition of Reynolds seems to be a smart one. Harper, Turner turning things around and the rotation has been lights out to be fair, starting 4 pitchers only gave up 4 ER over the 4 game series. Pleasantly surprised as I would have taken a split on Friday.

Nats definitely the best team in the NL at the moment.

I did see a graphic somewhere over the weekend that of the starting pitchers with the most pitches thrown this season, 4 of the top 5 were Nats. Probably because the manager doesn’t trust the bullpen but I wonder if it continues will impact their effectiveness (not Scherzer obviously as he could throw 150 pitches on 3 days rest if he wanted to)?

Nats definitely the best team in the NL at the moment.

I did see a graphic somewhere over the weekend that of the starting pitchers with the most pitches thrown this season, 4 of the top 5 were Nats. Probably because the manager doesn’t trust the bullpen but I wonder if it continues will impact their effectiveness (not Scherzer obviously as he could throw 150 pitches on 3 days rest if he wanted to)?

Nope most definitely not. We have used our bull pen well. Hellickson hasnt pitched out of the fifth more than once and generally Roark and Stras have only gone 6, Sherzer too. Our bullpen have been very good since their rocky start to the season.

Just on this Kintzler, Kelley, Madson, Solis and Doolittle looks like a solid bullpen if we can avoid any serious injuries.

The rescheduled Mariners-Twins game is currently in rain delay. You could not make this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

So Mets vs Blue Jays tonite, first of a two set. I read that much about the Mets here, I'm expecting good things for Toronto. Intriguing match-up to start off - Garcia vs Syndergaard, a former Toronto draft pick of course. Tomorrow is Happ vs Wheeler. Wasn't Jays LF Granderson a Met once? I know little to nothing about the NL tbh, don't follow it at all.

mod9maple wrote: »
    So Mets vs Blue Jays tonite, first of a two set. I read that much about the Mets here, I'm expecting good things for Toronto. Intriguing match-up to start off - Garcia vs Syndergaard, a former Toronto draft pick of course. Tomorrow is Happ vs Wheeler. Wasn't Jays LF Granderson a Met once? I know little to nothing about the NL tbh, don't follow it at all.

Grandy was with the Mets for 4 years and was quite loved by the fans so I’m expecting some sort or scoreboard tribute tonight or something.

Syndergaard hasn’t been himself yet this season as hitters aren’t missing his fast ball at all so hopefully playing his old club will spur him on a bit. Offense has been awful the past week or 2 so if Toronto can put up 3-4 runs that should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Mariners Cano suspended 80 games for PED use? That's what I'm reading on an SB Nation site anyway. Not sure if it runs concurrently with his time out due to injury. That hardly seems right. It's no punishment if he'd be out anyway! Still it'll be without pay.

• Advertisement

mod9maple wrote: »
    Mariners Cano suspended 80 games for PED use? That's what I'm reading on an SB Nation site anyway. Not sure if it runs concurrently with his time out due to injury. That hardly seems right. It's no punishment if he'd be out anyway! Still it'll be without pay.

Yeah it's confirmed on mlb.com now. Very disappointing.

Further info: he was found to be taking a diuretic, which can be used to mask other substances. There are also legitimate reasons for taking the drug though. However it is on the banned list. Sounds like he was in the middle of some appeal process when he broke his hand and he can serve the suspension while on the DL. He is not eligible for postseason however.

Advertisement