Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,394 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sure all the taxi drivers are using them!

Sure I have them on my own car, which just happens to not be here at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sure they are owned by Goodyear and all Goodyear employees have them on their cars....

I’ll show you a Nordexx now, and then a Michelin, you won’t be able to tell the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Like Goodridge and Goodyear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Speaking of tyres and bad advice, did anybody even notice that Advance Pitstop has rebranded as Continental? Does that mean they will only be stocking Continental products now?

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Like Goodridge and Goodyear :D

Place sold my mother Silverstones to replace Bridgestones, specifically sent her in there for Bridgestones, they were a cheap size anyway. Told her they were the same company.

Speaking of tyres and bad advice, did anybody even notice that Advance Pitstop has rebranded as Continental? Does that mean they will only be stocking Continental products now?

Been like that for a while, they’ve pushed Barum and Continental for a long time.

They’re going to rebrand as “Best Drive”

Wailin wrote: »
    For me it's not really cost, but more a case of **** selection in most tyre places, especially if you're going for higher end tyres. Most of them are grand for mid range which suit 80% of the population. Try getting a good run flat tyre and you'll struggle.

Decent tyre shops order in for you after you agree the price etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They’re going to rebrand as “Best Drive”

Sounds like a ropey chinese tyre brand in itself :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Augeo wrote: »
    Decent tyre shops order in for you after you agree the price etc...

Exactly this. If they don't have what I want in stock, I order my tyres through Nenagh Tyre Centre. They're fair on price and nice to deal with.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a ropey chinese tyre brand in itself :pac:

Shows you how damaged the Advance brand is if they want to bin such a well known name.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Wailin wrote: »
    For me it's not really cost, but more a case of **** selection in most tyre places, especially if you're going for higher end tyres. Most of them are grand for mid range which suit 80% of the population. Try getting a good run flat tyre and you'll struggle.

This is true. My local Advance couldn't get in any of the tyres I wanted for a decent price as they weren't "what we normally sell".

I went elsewhere (FirstStop) and asked them for a price on the Pirellis and also priced up what it would cost if I were to buy them online and have them fitted by someone else (FirstStop don't fit tyres that they didn't sell) and the price difference was negligible.

They stock Bridgestone, Pirelli, Dunlop, Michelin, Semperit as well as Continental & Barum.

Semperit and Barum are Continental owned of course. Advance was a Continental company since the 60s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I've had barum tyres on several cars and I really couldn't fault them.

I never drove a car with Barums but Semperit were my choice of tyre many moons ago when I did Cork to Dublin return twice a week on average. I didn't know they were a budget brand at the time to be honest.

They (Semprit) were made in Ballyfermot at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I've had barum tyres on several cars and I really couldn't fault them.

The relatively new barum 5hm tyre seems to be getting good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

renting a van in a few weeks and trying to figure out how much of a hold will be put on my card. the van has Collision Damage Waiver and the excess is 3k does that mean the hold will be 3k also?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

shanec1928 wrote: »
    renting a van in a few weeks and trying to figure out how much of a hold will be put on my card. the van has Collision Damage Waiver and the excess is 3k does that mean the hold will be 3k also?

Where is that with?

Last time mine was around €1600 I believe.

I've used easirent and europcar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Where is that with?

Last time mine was around €1600 I believe.

I've used easirent and europcar
    hertz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

shanec1928 wrote: »

Sounds like it. Normally if you buy their insurance there is no excess. It’s extra cost but better than potential excess of 3k

I generally rent with Avis, excess typically is €1000/€1500, I never take any insurance above the mandatory from them and they excess is never held on the card. Of course they've my card details and my acceptance of their T&Cs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

Tiff Needell has being given the boot from Fifth Gear.

https://youtu.be/uXE-cFW6vPI

Sorry to revive an old topic but I just found out about this. I was really looking forward to watching the new series - especially with Jason Plato on board - but now I hope it just crashes and burns. Pretty shocking they jettisoned him without reason, I think he's spot on about ageism. Basterds.

Meh. Nobody’s entitled to a lifetime gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

If anyone remembers, a few weeks ago my 2011 BMW 520D suffered a stretched timing chain which caused some significant damage to the engine. Due to the costs associated with an independent repair it was decided to try and approach BMW for goodwill since the car had full service history from new until last year. After a bit of back and forth I was surprised to hear it got approved and a new engine is currently being fitted courtesy of BMW. Restores a little faith in the brand at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Harcrid wrote: »
    If anyone remembers, a few weeks ago my 2011 BMW 520D suffered a stretched timing chain which caused some significant damage to the engine. Due to the costs associated with an independent repair it was decided to try and approach BMW for goodwill since the car had full service history from new until last year. After a bit of back and forth I was surprised to hear it got approved and a new engine is currently being fitted courtesy of BMW. Restores a little faith in the brand at least!
    Wow, that's a great result...

Didn't think they were actually doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Took the Golf out for a good drive tonight I half forgot how quick it was. It is actually quite impressive and good fun to drive in sport mode on the paddles handles well with the front LSD. I have had it over 3 months now and thinking about it overall the running costs really aren't that bad and not really that far off running a normal run of the mill car. For me anyway the stand out is the cost to buy but then these days basically all hot hatches and any kind of performance models are quite expensive to buy. Reason I think of running costs is the perception by many that it would absolutely break anyone financially to run one.

Thinking about it though I can't really think of any cars that have as good a performance as the GTI that would equal/better the running costs.

So in other words I will probably hold onto it for another while :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

CIP4 wrote: »
    So in other words I will probably hold onto it for another while :pac:

A couple of months? ;)

If you’re ever passing through Kildare give me a shout you can take the R for a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

tossy wrote: »
    A couple of months? ;)

If you’re ever passing through Kildare give me a shout you can take the R for a spin.

Yes I have driven a few Cupra at this point including a 4 drive one so they would be quite similar to an R. I have no doubt the power difference is noticeable they pull harder low down the rev range a bit more drama to driving it I would say.

However it comes at a cost tax is more, for me because I am still youngish an R was good bit more to insure also there would be a reasonable difference in fuel consumption. Would be worth it to some people no doubt but I can’t really say I have ever driven the GTI and thought I could do with something quicker. Maybe there will come a day when I think that I don’t know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I'd say Tossy's car has about another 150bhp and another 2 wheels to put it down over a Gti. Effectively another Audi A4 :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement