Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Just to confirm - BimmerCode supports all BMW and Mini from 2008 onwards. BimmerLink supports F and G Series BMWs and F series Minis but as you said, is currently only available on iOS.

tossy wrote: »
    :D

I heard you can code them to front wheel drive for the snow too is this true?

It is! It takes longer and is much more in-depth compared to normal coding as you have to dig deep into the ECU and change all mentions of RWD to FWD

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Some other half useful things for bimmercode. Instead of auto start stop off, put it in remember last setting. Means you can change your mind again if you want.

Windows to still go auto up and down when doors are open. If I'm driving with window down and stop and switch the car off it used to stop the auto window up when I was getting out, now they still go up.

Rear drls are useful too.

Door handles on reverse lighting up as MM says. Never really found that it's useful, but more a cosmetic mod imo.

If you have an electric boot you can have it autoclose from inside the car, and on one press of remote rather than holding it for a while.

You can also code in advanced Bluetooth if your car doesn't already have it. Allows Bluetooth audio and two phones to be paired at once.

Folding mirrors on lock too, but remember maybe to disable this in winter incase a frozen mirror causes damage to the motors.

Digital speedo can be handy too.

Think thats it for me

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

It is! It takes longer and is much more in-depth compared to normal coding as you have to dig deep into the ECU and change all mentions of RWD to FWD

Ctrl + H
    Find "RWD"
    replace with "FWD"

If you are really good, replace with "AWD"

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Door handles on reverse lighting up as MM says. Never really found that it's useful, but more a cosmetic mod imo.

I found it very useful especially at night because when I reverse in my gate I have to go up a bit in the laneway and reverse in around a kerb/ramp that juts out from my neighbour's garage. With the door handle lights on it illuminates this kerb so I avoid damaging my alloys on that side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Another thing for Bimmercode is that you can set the car to do a short but load beep when locking/unlocking the car with the fob. It's a handy reminder to you that your have actually locked/unlocked your car when you walk away from it. You can enable it to appear in the idrive menu too with a disable tick box in case you want to disable the sound at night so it doesn't wake the neighbors.

You can also code in advanced Bluetooth if your car doesn't already have it. Allows Bluetooth audio and two phones to be paired at once.)

Do you not need to have NBT2 head unit for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Maybe yeah, what year is the 5 series?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

OSI wrote: »
    Ah, I thought it was one of those "make way peasants, a BMW driver is about to disembark from their vessel" deals.

It's so the peasant can find the door handle in the dark to open it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I was going to say he could put on his Indicators to see where he is going but then I remembered......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Truckermal wrote: »
    I was going to say he could put on his Indicators to see where he is going but then I remembered......

Some say if you indicate left then rigght really fast your car will take a screen shot.

Ah, I thought it was one of those "make way peasants, a BMW driver is about to disembark from their vessel" deals.
    Truckermal wrote: »

Some say if you indicate left then rigght really fast your car will take a screen shot.

haters-gonna-hate_o_335984.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

So I test drove a Dodge Charger tonight. 5.7 hemi and it was great. Not buying it though, the interior is tiny and you can't see a thing out of it but I think something from the 5.7 hemi family will bought in the foreseeable future. Herself wants to try the Mustang 5.0 but deep down we think a SUV of some description is the best fit for us here. We have a 3.8 V6 pajero swb currently which is not actually a bad thing but it is a sow on fuel, 300km to a tank is pushing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,719 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Is this in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

So I test drove a Dodge Charger tonight. 5.7 hemi and it was great. Not buying it though, the interior is tiny and you can't see a thing out of it but I think something from the 5.7 hemi family will bought in the foreseeable future. Herself wants to try the Mustang 5.0 but deep down we think a SUV of some description is the best fit for us here. We have a 3.8 V6 pajero swb currently which is not actually a bad thing but it is a sow on fuel, 300km to a tank is pushing it.

I preferred the Mustang 5.0 myself but maybe because that was a manual.

Did you leave Ireland or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I am in the Middle East. Petrol is 48c a litre and they are crying it is too expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I am in the Middle East. Petrol is 48c a litre and they are crying it is too expensive...

They'll all be diffin about the dunes in their EV's soon then!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Tiff Needell has being given the boot from Fifth Gear.

https://youtu.be/uXE-cFW6vPI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Tiff Needell has being given the boot from Fifth Gear.

https://youtu.be/uXE-cFW6vPI

To be fair it's a long time coming, that show is very stale. Exact same style as it was in the 90s. Including his leather jacket!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

To be fair it's a long time coming, that show is very stale. Exact same style as it was in the 90s. Including his leather jacket!

Yeah but that's what made it different to Clarkson era Top Gear. It was to the point.

I actually think it's in bad taste tbh especially as he feels it's to do with age yet he'd still put most professional race drivers to shame today. Keep Jonny Smith but not Tiff (the man who created the show ) ? Ridiculous.

I've being following that Lovecars channel for a while and it's not that bad for what it is. I only watch it because of Tiff and with a bigger budget it could be even better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Yeah but that's what made it different to Clarkson era Top Gear. It was to the point.

I actually think it's in bad taste tbh especially as he feels it's to do with age yet he'd still put most professional race drivers to shame today. Keep Jonny Smith but not Tiff (the man who created the show ) ? Ridiculous.

I've being following that Lovecars channel for a while and it's not that bad for what it is. I only watch it because of Tiff and with a bigger budget it could be even better.

Johnny Smith is pro EV cars = stays on the show.
    Tiff, ....
    Say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Hi folks, staying in Galway next week and looking to get a mini-valet for my car whilst there.

Would a Galwegians have recommendations for a good valeter close to city centre, even better if within walking distance to the Eyre Square?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyone interested in a classic car....

69883741_2428067613940329_4888153131990384640_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQkwd9TdaYRQde4W0-UbygXnIgNeC_8mkUffUwvQoByQnqBYrg9Syr3s4t8Oa5lHio0&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=6147210083d6fe91fac8b8d4783efccf&oe=5E08CB61

Do you not need to have NBT2 head unit for that?
    Maybe yeah, what year is the 5 series?

Any update on this? Wouldn't mind BT music streaming...

EDIT: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1474066&page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Car just failed NCT and got a "too dangerous to drive" sticker with a letter warning if I drive off they "could" call the Gardai.

Why?

The thread depth is less than 1.6mm on one of my tyres.

Funnily enough the garage I brought it to last week said it was 1.7mm and thought it would be ok.

Interestingly, there is no value to say what the actual depth is, it seems to be just a visual test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

farna_boy wrote: »
    Car just failed NCT and got a "too dangerous to drive" sticker with a letter warning if I drive off they "could" call the Gardai.

Why?

The thread depth is less than 1.6mm on one of my tyres.

Funnily enough the garage I brought it to last week said it was 1.7mm and thought it would be ok.

Interestingly, there is no value to say what the actual depth is, it seems to be just a visual test.
    Would you not have replaced the tyre if you knew it was at the limit already, before wasting money on an NCT test and the resultant retest?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,428 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You could just put a tyre on it?

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Would you not have replaced the tyre if you knew it was at the limit already, before wasting money on an NCT test and the resultant retest?

Found out a few days ago, so tyres wouldn't get here in time and already had postponed once.

Either way, I only would have expected an advisory considering I think it would be difficult to tell the difference between 0.1mm by eye, not a major fail with "too dangerous to drive" sticker and a threat to call the gardai

"Hello caller, what's your concern today?"
    "THE NCT IS A SCAM! THEY WOULDN'T EVEN LET ME DRIVE HOME ON MY DANGEROUSLY AND ILLEGALLY WORN TYRE! IT'S A DISGRACE JOE!"

Dangerous because it is 0.1mm under the limit which he can judge by eye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Eh.... Put spare on to get home.., get new tyres fitted which hopefully aren't ditch finder special....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement