Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Everything after the SG model is to be hybrids.

The SG puts out is it 16 times less nox then a golf.
    Nearly sure that's the figure. It was mentioned before so hopefully I got the figure right.
    16 times less than a dieselgate Golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyway to get fully electric buses there would need to be charging points at the end of bus routes and with the amount of routes in Dublin that is a lot of charging points. 250km range when new. Batteries degrade pretty quick. So from my understanding buses in Dublin now drive from one side of city to city centre and then out to a suburb on the far side so what's that two runs and then needs to be charged up. I know that's not 250km but they would need to charged anyway incase they ran out half way through a route.

It's still a lot of infrastructure that is needed to go fully electric and that infrastructure is not there yet so I'd say they just said get diesel buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

colm_mcm wrote: »
    16 times less than a dieselgate Golf?

Yes something along those lines....

One of the mods put it up in the bus section.

Anyway to get fully electric buses there would need to be charging points at the end of bus routes and with the amount of routes in Dublin that is a lot of charging points. 250km range when new. Batteries degrade pretty quick. So from my understanding buses in Dublin now drive from one side of city to city centre and then out to a suburb on the far side so what's that two runs and then needs to be charged up. I know that's not 250km but they would need to charged anyway incase they ran out half way through a route.

It's still a lot of infrastructure that is needed to go fully electric and that infrastructure is not there yet so I'd say they just said get diesel buses.

If bus connects happens there will be big changes and quite possibly easier to apply such infrastructure.

Toilets also need to be provided for staff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭Joker2019

Dia_Anseo wrote: »
    Please don't ever go into a debate or politics or business because that was an awful reply!

Scotland adopted electric buses back in 2015 when batteries were more expensive and the tech was not as advanced and have upgraded to newer tech longer range buses since.

This is Scotland NOT London! If Scotland can introduce fully electric buses why can't Ireland??

https://planetradio.co.uk/mfr/local/news/scotland-first-electric-buses-launched-inverness/

Atleast the NTA are trialing hybrid buses this year!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-bus-takes-delivery-of-first-hybrid-double-decker-vehicles-1.3899918

Most of the electric buses on the market at the moment are single deckers although some electric double deckers have been trialled in London they are still very much a product in development. The thing that concerns me is that the hybrids are plated to carry less passengers than a diesel bus.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭Joker2019

I can't see charging points at bus termini working will need to be done overnight in the garage. For example if a bus is late to it's terminus then it could run out of charge or not have enough charge to complete it's outbound trip. Also buses are generally only at their terminus for 15-20 mins at a given time so how long would it take to charge up possibly longer.

Drivers generally break either at the garage or in the city centre and another driver would take over the bus so that would be out of the question too.

Bit of an odd one; I was on the M1 yesterday, passing Drogheda to go to Dublin. Hit the toll booths and there was a land cruiser in front of me.

He took a minute or two to get himself through the toll, but away he went. I arrived up to the barrier, tossed my €1.90 into the basket, and the barrier lifted. However, I noticed the screen in front of me didn't have my reg plate, it had the jeep in front's plate on it.

Cue me driving through, and an alarm going off and flashing beacons. Thankfully there was no one behind me, so i reversed back, and got out of the car and spoke to a girl on the intercom. They kinda just told me to fire away it'd be grand.

But i just thought it was a bit mad. Never had that happen before. Definitely an unusual one for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I got caught at that toll last week. Drove up to one of the basket lanes, threw in €1.90 and the barrier didn't lift. Looked, and it had my reg displayed and under it "light commercial" which is €3.40

Ended up throwing in another €2 just to get going. I was only in a Civic!

I got caught at that toll last week. Drove up to one of the basket lanes, threw in €1.90 and the barrier didn't lift. Looked, and it had my reg displayed and under it "light commercial" which is €3.40

Ended up throwing in another €2 just to get going. I was only in a Civic!

Any screws on the number plate that might mislead the ANPR?

Bit of an odd one; I was on the M1 yesterday, passing Drogheda to go to Dublin. Hit the toll booths and there was a land cruiser in front of me.

He took a minute or two to get himself through the toll, but away he went. I arrived up to the barrier, tossed my €1.90 into the basket, and the barrier lifted. However, I noticed the screen in front of me didn't have my reg plate, it had the jeep in front's plate on it.

Cue me driving through, and an alarm going off and flashing beacons. Thankfully there was no one behind me, so i reversed back, and got out of the car and spoke to a girl on the intercom. They kinda just told me to fire away it'd be grand.

But i just thought it was a bit mad. Never had that happen before. Definitely an unusual one for me.

Why on earth would you reverse back. You paid drive on.

Do you not have a tag? Seen as your always on the road.

• Advertisement

Any screws on the number plate that might mislead the ANPR?

No, nothing like that. The screws aren't anywhere near the characters

jwNNvzP.jpg

I am 99% sure my actual reg (4817) was displayed on the screen, but I just checked and 07 LH 487 is a crew cab Navara...would they class that as a light commercial at the tolls? It might have missed the "1" in my reg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Bought one of those pressure bleed kits the other day, Jesus they're an awful handy yoke, should have got one years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I see the psycholists and their lap dog shane ross have got another pointless piece of legislation by "dangerous overtaking of a cyclist" to come in next month.

You'll have every lycra clad knob calling the gardai about somebody trying to get around them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

I see the psycholists and their lap dog shane ross have got another pointless piece of legislation by "dangerous overtaking of a cyclist" to come in next month.

You'll have every lycra clad knob calling the gardai about somebody trying to get around them now.

As an avid cyclist I'm Dublin city the main culprits of cyclists danger are Taxi drivers.

I've had taxi drivers cut me up and slam on their brakes in front of me just to leave a passenger out.
    I've had other taxi drivers drive so close to me while I'm cycling on the cycle lane that their wing mirrors touch my arm.

When confronted they are an ignorant lot, no wonder from sitting on their asses all day thinking they know it all. Luckily Gardai were nearby who intervened on their own will to tell the taxi driver where to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

For real? The YouTube vigilantes will be in their forking element.

Cycledub will be untouchable now!

He is gone now, someone found out where he worked and he deleted all of his vids

:(

Is that the cock that shouts out the registrations?

I'd love to see that fooker get knocked out!

He is gone now, someone found out where he worked and he deleted all of his vids

:(

Shall I assume he works in the public sector?

Remember this gold
    https://mobile.twitter.com/eamov1/status/966752816789360640?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What a bell end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Is that the cock that shouts out the registrations?

I'd love to see that fooker get knocked out!

no thats liam phelan. think his videos are still up, except the one where he intentionally sits in a busses blindspot, waits for it to pull into a stop and abuses the driver.

On a totally unrelated note

https://youtu.be/Hs8iFeZOvoc

no thats liam phelan. think his videos are still up, except the one where he intentionally sits in a busses blindspot, waits for it to pull into a stop and abuses the driver.

I wouldn't be going out of my way to find them. Makes the red mist decend.

On a totally unrelated note

https://youtu.be/Hs8iFeZOvoc

That’s the video! But someone else had uploaded it because it was him in it, and presumably Cycledub got all paranoid and deleted everything

Google Angela Fahy, Cycledub 2.0, instagram blew up over the weekend thanks to her :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I'll never understand militant cyclism. I used to cycle in Dublin back in the day and the traffic was fairly hairy at times but never did I feel the need to start giving out to other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,899 ✭✭✭kirving

Some of the stuff he used to post on Twitter with regard to bike helmets was borderline dangerous.

Whatever about arguing against mandatory helmets since it would discourage people and so limit "safety in numbers", him recommending not to wear them since bone is stronger than foam is beyond idiotic.

I believe I've crossed paths but unfortunately he didn't put any videos up with me in it...

What a tool he really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

As someone who has a combined 5.2 litres worth of fast-ish petrol cars & also cycles to work I'd like to think I'm fairly informed on both sides of the argument here.

How can you actually have a problem with putting human beings in danger being made illegal? Yes there'll be muppet cyclists who'll go to the guards about stuff that isn't dangerous, and nothing will come of it. At the moment we have muppet drivers skimming past my elbow at 80kmph when I'm in the cycle lane. - (outbound at Kielys in Donnybrook if you're interested).

Ask yourself this, if you had teenagers would you want them cycling in Dublin? If not, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Agree on the safety element for cyclists.
    If a driver of a car endangers the life of a cyclist, then yes they should be done for that, the same will apply to a driver that puts the life of a pedestrian in danger.
    However, will the cyclists that run red lights or indeed cause a danger to drivers be prosecuted to the same extent that a driver of a car will be? I am thinking of dangerous situations like riding 2 and 3 abreast on unsuitable roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

cadaliac wrote: »
    Agree on the safety element for cyclists.
    If a driver of a car endangers the life of a cyclist, then yes they should be done for that, the same will apply to a driver that puts the life of a pedestrian in danger.
    However, will the cyclists that run red lights or indeed cause a danger to drivers be prosecuted to the same extent that a driver of a car will be? I am thinking of dangerous situations like riding 2 and 3 abreast on unsuitable roads.

On red lights, they'll be prosecuted in the same manner that drivers are prosecuted for speeding, breaking red lights, using phone while driving & dangerously passing cyclists. i.e. Very rarely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement