Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

Why on earth would you reverse back. You paid drive on.

Do you not have a tag? Seen as your always on the road.

To make sure there wasn't gonna be an automated fine coming in the post or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Wailin

Out of curiosity I contacted Michelin about the thread depth on the new tyres I ordered. The other one arrived today with the same thread depth so they're both definitely brand new.

This was the response from Michelin....

"Thank you for contacting MICHELIN customer care.

In reality the tread depth is no longer an indicator of a tyres longevity. It has much more to do with the technology behind the rubber compound. We actually have several tyre models with the same starting tread depth, but with a different tyre life. This is due to the fact that, we at MICHELIN, are constantly striving to improve our products. One of the ways we are doing this is actually by reducing the tread depth as much as possible while maintaining or even extending the tyre life. By reducing the tread depth we are able to enhance the stability, hence the safety of the tyre, and by manipulating with the rubber compound, we are simultaneously maintaining the tyre life. In other words, the tread depth is merely an indicator of when it is time to change a tyre - and not how long it will last."

I know for a fact that the tyres won't last as long as the Bridgestones they're replacing. Better grip and driving dynamics comes at a cost. But it's a bit annoying that the thread depth is not even the standard 8mm most manufacturers use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I measured the Kumhos I got and they are just over 7mm too I only have 6 of them in the shed..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Car insurance time of the year for me - by far the cheapest fully comprehensive insurance is with AIG at the moment (including no claims protection). We were using Its4women who broker AIG and it was over €200 cheaper to go with them directly.

Discount code for 20% off is AIG20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Google reminding me what I was at three years ago....out for a spin for the craic with a friend on a clear cold day.

Screenshot-20191029-193811.jpg

I don't know where I used to get the time for that E30. Been flicking through some old pictures, and from brakes, to hubs, springs to head units and respray for good measure, there was always something going on with that car. A simple electrical gremlin from a badly crimped wire caused me a lot of headaches as it was intermittent and took ages to find underneath the fuse box. Learnt how to put a diff together on it as well as how to use it a bit. Loads of headaches and good times with that car. Would be great for a 2nd fun car now again if funds allowed. I don't really miss it though as I served my time with it. A comfortable/boring diesel has its place too. Some pictures from back then for those interested:

20160926-101109.jpg

IMG-20161219-163523.jpg

IMG-20170103-204407.jpg

IMG-20170107-201600.jpg

IMG-20170607-214012.jpg

IMG-20170607-221253.jpg

IMG-20170609-151926.jpg

IMG-20170921-154350.jpg

IMG-20170921-154750.jpg

IMG-20171029-151305.jpg

IMG-20171029-151312.jpg

IMG-20171101-031447.jpg

IMG-20171121-121538.jpg

IMG-20180211-141116.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

IMG-20191029-195938.jpg

IMG-20191029-195902.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Was actually behind an IX-35 from Thomastown the whole way to New Ross which are dark unlit roads light was fading in Thomastown but it was well and truly dark by the time we got to New Ross. IX-35 went the whole way with just DRLs on couldn’t believe it. Only in New Ross did they switch their lights on. To make it worse there was two adults in the front of the car and neither realised the lack of light. I couldn’t believe how far they actually went without realising it.

https://m.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/golden-rules-of-lighting-up-your-car-so-you-see-and-are-seen-37736754.html

Also according to this article my Golf is ‘high-end’ :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

CIP4 wrote: »
    New Ross

There's your problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭kirving

I know most cars have DRL's nowadays, but so many people still drive with nothing turned on.

Biggest thing, with least cost, RSA could do for road safety is to issue an ad campaign stating "lights on all the time".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I know most cars have DRL's nowadays, but so many people still drive with nothing turned on.

Biggest thing, with least cost, RSA could do for road safety is to issue an ad campaign stating "lights on all the time".

They did....

They can't stop pure stupidity though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Simplest and most sensible solution would be to make DRL's mandatory front & rear

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Simplest and most sensible solution would be to make DRL's mandatory front & rear

It's very possible. I was able to code rear DRLs on mine quite easily but it should be factory standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Be on the look out if you're driving today I doubt he's done. Was my wife he tried it on.

Insurance scam attempt about noon in Gullivers Retail park (Northwood)

As my wife was driving into the main car park, from the roundabout and where you have to turn left and find your way around, a bloke reversed his car out from a parking spot into the road at speed and got out screaming she had hit him (he missed) A bloke who witnessed it chased him away.

She's describes him as "Romanian". He's in a old beat up red Opel.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

dsmythy wrote: »
    Be on the look out if you're driving today I doubt he's done. Was my wife he tried it on.

Insurance scam attempt about noon in Gullivers Retail park (Northwood)

As my wife was driving into the main car park, from the roundabout and where you have to turn left and find your way around, a bloke reversed his car out from a parking spot into the road at speed and got out screaming she had hit him (he missed) A bloke who witnessed it chased him away.

She's describes him as "Romanian". He's in a old beat up red Opel.

Get a dash cam. Only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Get a dash cam. Only way.

We'd just been talking about it and all. This incident definitely the trigger to go get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Kumho tyre? Any good? Being quoted 110 a corner, need two.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,417 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

TheShow wrote: »
    Kumho tyre? Any good? Being quoted 110 a corner, need two.

Yeah, good mid range brand.

Different sizes are different prices so impossible to say if that’s a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Thanks.
    Priced around and seems a standard price for the size. 225 45r 17.

Mate of mine priced same size this week in Munster. Can get Bridgestone Turanzas and Dunlop something or other for €110
    Kumhos should be sub €100 IMO.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Mate of mine priced same size this week in Munster. Can get Bridgestone Turanzas and Dunlop something or other for €110

Yep got 4 245/45/19 for 340 delivered from Camskill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Actually for anyone in Dublin, I got my tyres delivered to Rowan tyres in Sandyford & he has a van & comes to you, think fitting is like 17 a tyre but it works out cheaper. Really good service. (In no way affiliated) Mods can remove if that's not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Truckermal wrote: »
    Yep got 4 245/45/19 for 340 delivered from Camskill.

How much is postage with them to Ireland? Looking at getting two Michelin PS4s (225/35/19) and Camskill are about 20 quid cheaper per tyre

marcos_94 wrote: »
    How much is postage with them to Ireland? Looking at getting two Michelin PS4s (225/35/19) and Camskill are about 20 quid cheaper per tyre

That was including delivery!

colm_mcm wrote: »

He ended up getting the Bridgestone for €100

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I've nothing against buying online, often done so myself but if the saving is only €20 / tyre and it costs you €15+ a corner to fit (plus hassle) it's not really worth it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Wailin

Big Nasty wrote: »
    I've nothing against buying online, often done so myself but if the saving is only €20 / tyre and it costs you €15+ a corner to fit (plus hassle) it's not really worth it IMO.

For me it's not really cost, but more a case of **** selection in most tyre places, especially if you're going for higher end tyres. Most of them are grand for mid range which suit 80% of the population. Try getting a good run flat tyre and you'll struggle.

Wailin wrote: »
    For me it's not really cost, but more a case of **** selection in most tyre places, especially if you're going for higher end tyres. Most of them are grand for mid range which suit 80% of the population. Try getting a good run flat tyre and you'll struggle.

Yep, and show me a tyre shop that has a public price list!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Most are pretty poor for midrange too.

Hankook, kumho and uniroyal readily available in most but very hard get the likes of toyo, Yokohama, firestone, barum etc.

At least that'd be my experience here in the west.

One place told me Wanli were a good mid range tyre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Sure all the taxi drivers are using them!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement