Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Can anyone point me in the right direction for a set of 16inch alloys for a 2011 Avensis. Size 5×114.3? No luck on donedeal or adverts. Local scrap yard had a set but they were in bits.

Adverts.ie or facebook are the best sites for buying used alloys.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Be aware that the older model Avensis wheels won’t fit, but Corolla Verso from 2004 and Corolla/Auris from 2007 will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Be aware that the older model Avensis wheels won’t fit, but Corolla Verso from 2004 and Corolla/Auris from 2007 will.

Spotted that thanks. They have a 5×114.3 fitting. The older ones are 5×100

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

And I've ruined my back again. Can't even blame the driving this time.

FML

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

James from MX Valeting came today to do a job on the interior of my girlfriend's Insignia and all I can say is wow. Very very happy with it as is she.

Highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

Must get him to do my van sometime 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭charcosull

Going to have a look at a Fiat 500 tomorrow. It has 42k miles on it and from looking up its UK history it had 42k miles at its last MOT. Which was in 2015. It is in Dublin and VRT needs to be paid on it. Any advice on what I should look out for and key things to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

charcosull wrote: »
    Going to have a look at a Fiat 500 tomorrow. It has 42k miles on it and from looking up its UK history it had 42k miles at its last MOT. Which was in 2015. It is in Dublin and VRT needs to be paid on it. Any advice on what I should look out for and key things to ask?

Why wasn't it driven in 4 years? If it needs VRT paid and hasn't been MOTd in 4 tears I would assume it's been here. Worse case scenario it was presented for VRT 4 years ago and taxes and penalties will apply. These can be massive. Unless there is a very good story to explain all of this I'd walk away. Plenty good ones out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The big question is how long has it been in the country? What service history does it have especially since the last MOT 4 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

charcosull wrote: »
    I wouldn’t even bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Guess what this fella forgot to use....

66468664_2316304985116593_7252376540736913408_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_oc=AQlvwOQumKvAO9fRr2xXXcJzYZoR5QO4tlTdlA3IWYzqnEwV8J5_6tTy56h89NWbjt8&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=22c97c31f7b5b242b0bec92e9fd9dafc&oe=5DACB0F3

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

James from MX Valeting came today to do a job on the interior of my girlfriend's Insignia and all I can say is wow. Very very happy with it as is she.

Highly recommended.

Why didn't you do it yourself ya lazy fvck? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Big Nasty wrote: »

I was like: oh feck off m8, some people don't enjoy.....

*Reads username*

Why didn't you do it yourself ya lazy bastard!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Last day driving the A4 to work kind of bitter sweet its been a great car and I can't really fault it. At same time hitting Dublin in the morning to collect the Golf GTI and I am very excited about it last week has dragged so much waiting. It really my first time getting something that's a bit more than just run of the mill engine wise.

Cant wait for all the comments off colleagues 'wait you traded an Audi for a golf' although at the same time those who are into their cars should appreciate it and will realise its not quite the same as a 1.6 diesel.

Happy and safe motoring to you 🚗

Got my first penalty points on Tuesday.

I don't mind, probably overdue as I'm a lethal killing machine (ie; i tend to hover over the limit). Got me at 91 in an 80. The part that annoyed me was I'm always very conscious of the Speed vans and Garda cars with their guns out the window. Anytime I ever wander over the limit, I am on extra-high alert for them.

So how did I get nailed to the wall, you ask?

In rather comical fashion, a Garda, wearing the old stab vest (the navy one, instead of the hi-vis) literally was standing in a hedge, with the gun up. Presumably clocked me a good bit down the road, and then stepped out of the hedge and waved me down. The (unmarked) Garda car was hidden across the road so it couldn't be seen.

To add to the parody nature of the event, she nailed me on a steep downhill stretch of road. A well-paved, and empty road, at that.

Not that I'm complaining, only myself to blame and as I say, probably overdue a few points, but I wish I had at least been done in a known accident blackspot or driving somewhere that has lots of pedestrians, etc. My only bitterness comes from the way it was done. 'Ducks in a barrel' springs to mind. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Big Nasty wrote: »

I never invested in the proper equipment as it would never pay me back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭charcosull

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I wouldn’t even bother.

Yup good advice. I did a check on it. It was a Cat C write off and since then has moved ownership frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Got my first penalty points on Tuesday.

I don't mind, probably overdue as I'm a lethal killing machine (ie; i tend to hover over the limit). Got me at 91 in an 80. The part that annoyed me was I'm always very conscious of the Speed vans and Garda cars with their guns out the window. Anytime I ever wander over the limit, I am on extra-high alert for them.

So how did I get nailed to the wall, you ask?

In rather comical fashion, a Garda, wearing the old stab vest (the navy one, instead of the hi-vis) literally was standing in a hedge, with the gun up. Presumably clocked me a good bit down the road, and then stepped out of the hedge and waved me down. The (unmarked) Garda car was hidden across the road so it couldn't be seen.

To add to the parody nature of the event, she nailed me on a steep downhill stretch of road. A well-paved, and empty road, at that.

Not that I'm complaining, only myself to blame and as I say, probably overdue a few points, but I wish I had at least been done in a known accident blackspot or driving somewhere that has lots of pedestrians, etc. My only bitterness comes from the way it was done. 'Ducks in a barrel' springs to mind. :D

I don’t have a problem with ducks in a barrel but generally serious gradients (and bends) are not suitable places for speed camera measurement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Marcusm wrote: »
    I don’t have a problem with ducks in a barrel but generally serious gradients (and bends) are not suitable places for speed camera measurement.
    They are, however, great spots for revenue generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Well CIP any pics of the Golf already?

Probably too busy out driving around enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Well CIP any pics of the Golf already?

Literally only stopped driving it a few minutes. Very happy with it out of everything I looked at think I made the right choice the power is one thing but it feels well built, has loads of extras and just kind of works in every situation and is a great all round car. I didn't even really get any proper photos only a few collecting it earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

CIP4 wrote: »
    Literally only stopped driving it a few minutes. Very happy with it out of everything I looked at think I made the right choice the power is one thing but it feels well built, has loads of extras and just kind of works in every situation and is a great all round car. I didn't even really get any proper photos only a few collecting it earlier.

Bye bye licence....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Lovely looking car CIP, looks really well cared for too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Well wear cip lovely looking car. Health to enjoy.

Lovely car, Cip4. Best of luck with it.

Speaking of new cars, I do monster mileage and have been having the ongoing battle in my head of whether i'm better off hopping from bangernomics to bangernomics, or just biting the bullet and buying something brand new (albeit on the cheap side as it won't be worth anything after I've owned it a few years. It'll be dying with me).

So anyway, was scrawling through facebook and seen an ad for the New Micra (a lovely looking car, in my opinion). It was something along the lines of 'Micra from x amount per month'. Anyway, out of nosiness I clicked into the ad, supplied my details and within 2 minutes Nissan rang me to make an appointment to go view one. Which I did.

Was more interested in the money side of things, than the car itself, so when I went in, i made a move for the finance person rather than the sales person. They took my details and said the'd be in touch tomorrow about whether finance would be approved or not.

Told me the car retails at 19,500, they'd give me 3k for my 07 Mondeo and as a result, I'd be financing 16,500.

No Micra was available to drive that day, but their demo car would 'be back tomorrow'. So the following day came, and i got a call to ask did i want to take a spin, and my finance had been approved.

Went up, had a spin in the car (which is actually grand for what it is. Spectacularly middle-of-the-road in almost every way). Spent time during the drive talking to the sales man, who was actually really sound and never really actually tried to hard sell me. He did say that if I buy, I'm better off taking of the cars in stock, as ordering from the dealership means the two-tone interior, and two-tone wheels are not an option, as apparently they've been discontinued (I at first presumed this was a 'quick, buy it! buy it now! now!' tactic, but apparently it's true).

So took the spin. Got the bad news that even if i wanted to order from the factory, I can't get the two-tone exterior colour scheme as apparently that's been dropped, too (which is a killer as the car looks much, much better in the two-tone scheme).

I was informed that finance would be charged at 9% interest, and you can't avoid the interest. It's built in from the word go. You can't overpay at any time, unless it's a single lumpsum payment that wipes the whole debt out in one go. Even so, if you lumpsum it after two weeks, you still pay the 5 years of 9% interest.

So they reckoned I'd be looking at an RRP of 19,500, minus 3k for my car, leaves financing of 16,500, which means 60 monthly payments (5 years) of €357, which includes 3 years servicing and interior and exterior fabric and paint protection applied.

But you can't avoid the interest, so no matter how you spin it, your 16,500 car will cost you 21,000 over five years. So despite the 3k scrappage, you're still paying notably more than the retail price. I found it bewildering.

I told them I'd have a think about it, and i went home to do my math work. They rang the next day and said if I but today, i can get it for 337 per month instead (or 20,220 over the course of the finance agreement).

Alternatively, they did offer something about 0% apr on a PCP scheme. However, i immediately blanked out the mention of PCP as I'd rather straight financing and not be getting tangled up in future values and buyouts of a car that I am gonna be running into the ground.

I eventually decided against it, but I found the whole process interesting. Would seem it's actually more difficult to not get finance! Definitely a car bubble gonna pop sometime soon. It would have been far, far, far too easy for me to have drove away in a new car. Also disappointed the Pulsar disappeared. Was a nice looking car in the right colour.

Lovely car, Cip4. Best of luck with it.

Speaking of new cars, I do monster mileage and have been having the ongoing battle in my head of whether i'm better off hopping from bangernomics to bangernomics, or just biting the bullet and buying something brand new (albeit on the cheap side as it won't be worth anything after I've owned it a few years. It'll be dying with me).

So anyway, was scrawling through facebook and seen an ad for the New Micra (a lovely looking car, in my opinion). It was something along the lines of 'Micra from x amount per month'. Anyway, out of nosiness I clicked into the ad, supplied my details and within 2 minutes Nissan rang me to make an appointment to go view one. Which I did.

Was more interested in the money side of things, than the car itself, so when I went in, i made a move for the finance person rather than the sales person. They took my details and said the'd be in touch tomorrow about whether finance would be approved or not.

Told me the car retails at 19,500, they'd give me 3k for my 07 Mondeo and as a result, I'd be financing 16,500.

No Micra was available to drive that day, but their demo car would 'be back tomorrow'. So the following day came, and i got a call to ask did i want to take a spin, and my finance had been approved.

Went up, had a spin in the car (which is actually grand for what it is. Spectacularly middle-of-the-road in almost every way). Spent time during the drive talking to the sales man, who was actually really sound and never really actually tried to hard sell me. He did say that if I buy, I'm better off taking of the cars in stock, as ordering from the dealership means the two-tone interior, and two-tone wheels are not an option, as apparently they've been discontinued (I at first presumed this was a 'quick, buy it! buy it now! now!' tactic, but apparently it's true).

So took the spin. Got the bad news that even if i wanted to order from the factory, I can't get the two-tone exterior colour scheme as apparently that's been dropped, too (which is a killer as the car looks much, much better in the two-tone scheme).

I was informed that finance would be charged at 9% interest, and you can't avoid the interest. It's built in from the word go. You can't overpay at any time, unless it's a single lumpsum payment that wipes the whole debt out in one go. Even so, if you lumpsum it after two weeks, you still pay the 5 years of 9% interest.

So they reckoned I'd be looking at an RRP of 19,500, minus 3k for my car, leaves financing of 16,500, which means 60 monthly payments (5 years) of €357, which includes 3 years servicing and interior and exterior fabric and paint protection applied.

But you can't avoid the interest, so no matter how you spin it, your 16,500 car will cost you 21,000 over five years. So despite the 3k scrappage, you're still paying notably more than the retail price. I found it bewildering.

I told them I'd have a think about it, and i went home to do my math work. They rang the next day and said if I but today, i can get it for 337 per month instead (or 20,220 over the course of the finance agreement).

Alternatively, they did offer something about 0% apr on a PCP scheme. However, i immediately blanked out the mention of PCP as I'd rather straight financing and not be getting tangled up in future values and buyouts of a car that I am gonna be running into the ground.

I eventually decided against it, but I found the whole process interesting. Would seem it's actually more difficult to not get finance! Definitely a car bubble gonna pop sometime soon. It would have been far, far, far too easy for me to have drove away in a new car. Also disappointed the Pulsar disappeared. Was a nice looking car in the right colour.

Oh god....

Seriously you need diesel or electric or hybrid...

A Micra isn't going to suit your driving needs

A Micra or any similar sized car is not designed for doing mega mileage in. It doesn't have the space or comfort to be spending that much time in it. Also 9% interest on HP is not a great deal.

• Advertisement

Kkv look up Renault... Doing great deals or even Dacia may I say...

Your mileage needs a good decent mile muncher and going bangers.... Isn't an option and please don't get attached just think of it as a box..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement