Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Lads! Going to the RDS tomorrow, want to arrive by 7pm. Planning to turn off the M9 at Kilcullen, taking the backroads to M50. Then turning off at Dundrum or Sandyford.

Any handy tips for timing, routing or parking if I want out quick later taking the same roads? I don't mind walking 1-2 kms to the arena, must be busy enough.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

padyjoe wrote: »
    Lads! Going to the RDS tomorrow, want to arrive by 7pm. Planning to turn off the M9 at Kilcullen, taking the backroads to M50. Then turning off at Dundrum or Sandyford.

Any handy tips for timing, routing or parking if I want out quick later taking the same roads? I don't mind walking 1-2 kms to the arena, must be busy enough.

Thank you!

Just use google maps. It will tell you the quickest route at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

You think smaller sportier cars have grown on you now ?

I loved the Clio to bits and a good few with me who aren't Renault fans loved it the handling was genuinely so impressive. But it reinforced the fact I would never buy one as a daily as tipping around town and stuff like that they are not particularly nice to drive. It was less powerful than I expected also a Golf GTI or even the Polo GTI is a lot quicker. You had to kind of drive it within an inch of its life to get real get up an go out of it.

So yes it won't be a Clio 197.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

CIP4 wrote: »
    You think smaller sportier cars have grown on you now ?

You had to kind of drive it within an inch of its life to get real get up an go out of it.

So yes it won't be a Clio 197.

That's how you drive N/A cars with some sort of variable valve timing. vtec, mivec, vvt, vvl etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Was doing some car shopping last week. Just looking at models to get a feel for them, as we'll be importing one. Went to a particular dealer. Dad wanted a rough estimate on the Mondeo. I know it's not worth a whole pile, it's a 2008 car. Bodywork is good, 161k miles 2 owners from new, fsh, clutch flywheel all done. Test is out, but going through next week. Yer man turns around and says to be honest it's worth nothing. He'd take 500 off the price of a car. "What I'd do with it is just send it to a breakers. Not worth putting through a test". Whether it's not worth putting though a test or not I thought it to be a bad move on his part!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sell it privately. You might as well be asking him to buy your washing machine off you.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Sell it privately. You might as well be asking him to buy your washing machine off you.

Oh ya without doubt! But thought his approach to it a bit ott!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CorkMan_

We'd the same issue back in Nov 16, was looking at getting a newer car for the wife as her Focus was 12 years old then with 320K kms on it. We were getting 500 knocked off the price of the replacement car and the Focus was going to be scrapped.

The car was perfect and it would have been a waste to scrap it so we held onto it. Currently has 397k kms now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Man goes to garage to get feel for car he never intends to buy from garage and complains about salesmans attitude. :D

tossy wrote:
    Man goes to garage to get feel for car he never intends to buy from garage and complains about salesmans attitude.

Sure ya have to get a feel for a car somewhere!

• Advertisement

Oh ya without doubt! But thought his approach to it a bit ott!

Seems to be a very open approach. Would be worse if he was saying it was worth 3000 and only giving you 500 in reality plus 2500 discount that you could get without the trade in.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Seems to be a very open approach. Would be worse if he was saying it was worth 3000 and only giving you 500 in reality plus 2500 discount that you could get without the trade in.

The man wasn't stirring either way, 19500 straight or 19000 with a trade in. I'm well aware of the padding up ones own car to make it look like a great price but not in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

With hard bargaining he'd probably sell the car for 19 anyway, so he's giving you 500 off for a car he's telling you that he is going to scrap and in reality he's probably selling it to a fred in a shed type of place for 700/800 euro so he's making money from you - which is his job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

tossy wrote: »
    With hard bargaining he'd probably sell the car for 19 anyway, so he's giving you 500 off for a car he's telling you that he is going to scrap and in reality he's probably selling it to a fred in a shed type of place for 700/800 euro so he's making money from you - which is his job :)
    Or, could be doing as he says and scrapping the car. This happened to me/my wife last year with a pug 206.
    Salesman said car is pretty much worthless and is going to be parked up with the other 40 cars he has out the back. Periodically a mobile scrapper comes along and crushes the worst cars he has. The others, if presentable will be used for courtesy cars etc.
    He was honest with me and said "don't be surprised if you see that car on the road again, as we do use the better ones as courtesy cars occasionally".
    |I thought that was fair enough tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

tossy wrote: »
    Man goes to garage to get feel for car he never intends to buy from garage and complains about salesmans attitude. :D

Alternative take.......

Noccys dad IS looking to buy a car - a better salesman attitude could potentially cause a change of mind from importing to buying from that dealer.

A salesman may well dislike timewasters but should probadly find a better way of handling suspected timewasters.

Todays time waster could be next weeks customer who is ready to buy.

Because Noccys dad IS buying a car - he isn't really a timewaster.

He is instead someone whose business the salesman couldnt be bothered to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

The man wasn't stirring either way, 19500 straight or 19000 with a trade in. I'm well aware of the padding up ones own car to make it look like a great price but not in this case.

TBH I kind of would prefer the way he was to deal with straight up about the whole thing. Ultimately if you take the emotion out of it as for you it's a car that's been reliable, one you cleaned and minded for years. But to a dealer and in reality it's an 11 year old car with 260k km on it. So even if they managed to retail it and get a couple of thousand for it there is a good enough chance that the new buyer could drive out the gate in it and after a few weeks the gearbox falls out of it or the turbo blows or worse.

Then they have lost money fixing it under the warranty they would of had to give you with it. Best case scenario it holds together and they make a couple of hundred euro on it. Its just not worth it for them the risk vs. reward doesn't add up.

I definitely would never take it personal as otherwise you will be insulted in a lot of garages you go too even when trading cars up the value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

Gave it a roast up the back of Ballycoolin on the way home from work and saw someone in the mirror taking an obvious grasp for their dashcam when I booted past them leaving the roundabout.

Be interested in seeing how long the flames were....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I have over the last week started using the Eco-Pro mode in my car.... Plenty of cars have this type of thing now where you can change the mode of the car to suit your mood or whatever. I was recently in a VW where the owner drove it in sport because they preferred the "sportier suspension" on a car that didn't have DCC :pac: , and yes I did tell them although I probably should have said nothing.

Anyway, on my car Eco-Pro does some silly stuff like makes the steering feel less weighted, reduces the air con, does nothing to my standard suspension and dumbs down the throttle response but it does change the gear box mapping. Driving with the gear box like this for a while now and I find the gearbox works far better as it changes up really quick. Before under moderate throttle it would hang onto a gear for no real reason. Now you can give it a decent wedge of throttle and it will still shift up before 2k rpm. Makes the car a much nicer place to be imo.

Yes, I am getting old I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Lads. Can I get an opinion on this please ?

http://www.woburnautos.co.uk/used-cars/volvo-v70-2-4-d-se-geartronic-5dr-milton-keynes-201903065606578

Is that too much milage for this car ? I'm feeling it's a tad high but from the description seems solid.

Also the VRT quote I'm getting is only a couple of hundred euros, maybe someone can throw it through again see if I'm right / wrong. (€810-€860)

I think the annual tax on this on the Irish system will be €750 a year if I'm looking at that right.

I did see the scuff on the front left bumper but that's incredibly minor to me
    Cheers lads !

I’m getting VRT of €1085
    Stat code 46989097
    September 09 reg date.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I’m getting VRT of €1085
    Stat code 46989097
    September 09 reg date.

That stat code brings it up as an SE Lux model but she's not a Lux. Just SE sadly

Even at that, it it was €1085, it's not that bad for that car is it ?

What do you make of it overall ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,635 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

FYI: STop getting VRT quotes for the same car, they have been known to notice and increase the OMSP

I think that’s ryanair you’re thinking of

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I wouldn't.. I run a Volvo with similar mileage and the suspension is in bits and getting very expensive.

I wouldn't.. I run a Volvo with similar mileage and the suspension is in bits and getting very expensive.

Just looking through it's previous MOTs and it does look like the rear coil springs were corroded but were changed.

S60 wouldn't be far off a V70 at all. Has it been bad ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,635 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I think that’s ryanair you’re thinking of
    Different shower of robbin barstewards there

Lads. Can I get an opinion on this please ?

http://www.woburnautos.co.uk/used-cars/volvo-v70-2-4-d-se-geartronic-5dr-milton-keynes-201903065606578

Is that too much milage for this car ? I'm feeling it's a tad high but from the description seems solid.............

165k miles isn't high for a 10 year old diesel.
    You're off your tree importing the likes of that IMO.
    Minimal if any savings once the flight, ferry, time etc is factored in.

Augeo wrote: »
    165k miles isn't high for a 10 year old diesel.
    You're off your tree importing the likes of that IMO.

Any reason why it's a bad import ?

To be honest I like the car, though to find a decent one here. It's not something I'd be fussed about selling in future either. More drive it into the ground idea here...

The only half decent one I see here is a 10TS one but your man has it down for trade sale, sold as seen pretty much so I don't exactly trust it

Any reason why it's a bad import ?.....

Apologies, I edited to add more detail.
    You've the risk of buying miles (a flight away) away, the thing might not be to your liking once you view it. And the savings are minimal if any.

A lad I know went over to save €3k (his calcs) on a 2016 baby Jag and the thing was a sh1tter ...... ended up coming back a day later then planned on a flight without the car rather then on the ferry with the car. Now, he's a total gnome but still.......could happen to anyone.

You're effectively buying this trade sale in the UK as the warranty is worth SFA to you :)
    Trade sale here means they aren't retailing it and likely won't sell to a private buyer, same car will get an oil change and a bad valet and be retailed from a portocabin dealer somewhere with a 3 month engine and box warranty.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    Apologies, I edited to add more detail.
    You've the risk of buying miles (a flight away) away, the thing might not be to your liking once you view it. And the savings are minimal if any.

A lad I know went over to save €3k (his calcs) on a 2016 baby Jag and the thing was a sh1tter ...... ended up coming back a day later then planned on a flight without the car rather then on the ferry with the car. Now, he's a total gnome but still.......could happen to anyone.

You're effectively buying this trade sale in the UK as the warranty is worth SFA to you :)
    Trade sale here means they aren't retailing it and likely won't sell to a private buyer, same car will get an oil change and a bad valet and be retailed from a portocabin dealer somewhere with a 3 month engine and box warranty.

I understand what you are saying about buying in UK 100% and do agree with you it can be hit or miss. Also warranty wise I like to see a dealer offer the warranty than one who doesn't because it means they are willing to stand over it, which I would hope !

In regards V70's here. There's one there for just under 5K and that's your man selling as trade, also tax on it is 1,200 a year for the engine it is

After that one the next cheapest auto V70 is over 10K

But I'm not gonna be saying I'm saving a fortune buying in UK , it just seems to be availabiltiy at the moment for one

A flight being about 70 euros, ferry back (I get staff rates for Irish ferries thankfully) and a drop of diesel and a day I would aim to do it in.

If it turned out to be a scrapper then sure a flight back and keep looking.

a great feature of the UK cars is the ability to read over the previous MOTs which is nice. I notice this one hasn't had any major issues , very minor stuff bar suspension coil at the back.

But anymore feedback I'll take, I'm on the fence about it at the moment still but if I do decide to go for it it'll be hopefully this weekend

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement