Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads. Anyone know, what PCP rates on used Audi now? Is it 2.9% ish like the rest of the VW group?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

How does it know which corner is low?

Dunno how TBH.....one receiver but each wheel has the pressure monitor if equipped with direct tpms.
    The respective signals can only come from 1 of 4 positions so it's probably not hugely complicated..... In saying that I've no idea how it's done.

To save batteries they only send when rotating so perhaps the receiver reprogrammes itself on every start up :)

On my yoke there's no info until it's rolling for a while...a good few hundred metres iirc.

Google ☺....
    https://www.moderntiredealer.com/article/724278/tpms-honda-pilot-and-ridgeline-2005-2016

".. An initiator for each wheel (located in the wheel housing) is hardwired to the control unit. .......Every time the ignition is turned ON (II), the control unit asks each initiator for a sensor ID. The initiators then transmit the sensor IDs, and the control unit receives and memorizes them. The control unit then knows which ID belongs to each tire location. This recurring ID confirmation prevents any confusion in the system as a result of normal tire rotation"

Mmmmm makes sense.....dunno do all systems have the harddwired initiator yoke though.

Things like knowing how unimportant **** like that interests me...

Speaking of wheels, tyres and the likes the car got a little upgrade today:
    IMG-20190610-192726.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Wailin

Did it eliminate the vibration issue after changing the tyres?

No, I wasn't expecting it to either as I found both front control arm bushings are bust (oil out of them) and have loads of play. Two new ones be here this week and then get them fitted. Really hoping it sorts the vibration as it's ruining the car for me. Then I can put these tyres under a little more pressure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Had my car in for the NCT over the weekend, it passed, however i have a question/concern in relation to the emissions, readings are as follows:

Engine/oil temperature 104 degrees C

Low Idle CO 0.19 vol% above 0.30 fail Result : Pass
    (880 rpm) HC 40ppm Above 0ppm N/A

High Idle Lambda 1.00 Not between 0.97 and 1.03 Pass
    (2,530 rpm) CO 0.18 vol% Above 0.20 Pass
    HC 26 ppm Above 200 ppm Pass

My concern here is the CO on high idle, the car has only done 500 miles since its NCT on the same weekend last year, on that occasion it was just after a full service including a new lambda sensor as it previously failed on that.I gave the car a good oul Italian tune up on the morning, however the car was left sitting idle well beyond its allocated slot and cooled down, is this a partial reason? I did absolutely nothing to it between tests bar the top up of fluids, the car was initially failed for the sunstrip i had on it and when when i asked the tester to witness me pulling it off he printed my pass cert there and then, other than that it hasn't been touched in any other way. The car in question is a MK5 Golf with the 1.6 8v engine. Am i looking down the lines of a catalytic converter next year or a service? again the mileage on the plugs is low.

Sounds like you cat took some damage from the car running poorly before the previous nct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

vintagevrs wrote: »
    No, I wasn't expecting it to either as I found both front control arm bushings are bust (oil out of them) and have loads of play. Two new ones be here this week and then get them fitted. Really hoping it sorts the vibration as it's ruining the car for me. Then I can put these tyres under a little more pressure :)

The most logical explanation ive seen on here to your problem was, i think it was rex x, saying it was to do with the discs being aluminium at the hub. Is it a form over function design i wonder... people dont like seeing the rust on the inside of the alloy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Interslice wrote: »
    Sounds like you cat took some damage from the car running poorly before the previous nct.

It's the original cat with 150,000 miles on it, might be no harm to get a new one, i'll have to go back on the nct readings of it in my ownership. once i get home i'll post it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

There is no point buying a new cat when there is nothing wrong with it. Put Dipetane in it next nct.

Proper cats are expensive you can get cheap ones but they are garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Needs to be driven more too...

There is no point buying a new cat when there is nothing wrong with it. Put Dipetane in it next nct.

I put in a bottle of cataclean last year, the CO was low and the new lambda then was 1.01, last weekend 1.00

Needs to be driven more too...

Aye, it’s a bit of a showcar/ one in progress hence I don’t use it much. It has spent more time parked up with tax rather than driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I put in a bottle of cataclean last year, the CO was low and the new lambda then was 1.01, last weekend 1.00

I wouldn't worry too much about the readings they will be different if you tested it three times in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

I use a bolt in (had it flanged) metal cat for these purposes, on a car that's rarely used and factory tuned to run rich as hell.

The cat only gets put in for the test and lives on a shelf in the shed for the rest of the year, 3 years on the go now and has given reading of 1.00 every time.

I wouldn't worry too much about the readings they will be different if you tested it three times in a row.

The following are readings from the May & June 2018, after the lambda sensor was changed.

May 2018:

Oil temp 94 degrees.
    Low idle CO 0.27% above 0.30% fail
    (520 RPM) HC31 ppm.

High Idle Lambda 1.00
    (2580 rpm) CO 0.18% vol
    HC14 ppm

June 2018:

Oil temp 18 degrees (yes 18)

Low Idle CO 0.07
    (680 rpm) HC 29 ppm

High Idle Lambda 1.00
    (2800 rpm) CO 0.08 (i added cataclean for this test)
    HC 26 ppm

The new lambda was fitted in April 2018 yet the high idle CO levels started at 0.18% dropped tp 0.08 and not back up to 0.18. The engine also ran over 100 degrees at the weekend for the first time in my ownership during a test.

The car did 1000kms across all 3 tests, between test 1 & 2 the car did 100 miles, the nct centre being 10 miles each way from my house.

Just found the first nct report from when i bought the car, i put it in on that occasion without touching anything on it and it was 2 years out of test at that point, the emissions readings in April 2018 were as follows:

Oil temp. 83 degrees
    Low Idle CO 0.73 vol above 0.30 fail
    (660 rpm) HC 198 ppm

High Idle Lambda 1.02 Not between 0.97 & 1.03 fail
    (2820 rpm) CO 0.09 above 0.20 Pass
    HC 39 ppm

I did a full engine service after this and changed the lambda, over the course of all 4 NCT tests in 14 months i have done 1075kms. I'm starting to think the cat is in trouble alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-320-bhp/22092595

Possible power figure or bull**** ? I know they can easily be mapped to around 230.

Possible power figure or bull**** ? I know they can easily be mapped to around 230.

320BHP from a 1.8 petrol engine :eek: Hardly..............

I use a bolt in (had it flanged) metal cat for these purposes, on a car that's rarely used and factory tuned to run rich as hell.

The cat only gets put in for the test and lives on a shelf in the shed for the rest of the year, 3 years on the go now and has given reading of 1.00 every time.

I've never seen anything like that before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Unless there is a pig of a turbo down the back that you can’t see even at that fair bhp for a 1.8tsi

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

320BHP from a 1.8 petrol engine :eek: Hardly..............

My buddy had a 1.5 Glanza with 320hp. Thing was mental. My 399hp skyline couldn't catch it.
    It is possible, but that yolk is definitely not 320hp

My buddy had a 1.5 Glanza with 320hp. Thing was mental. My 399hp skyline couldn't catch it.

Give me the skyline any day :D was never a fan of the glanza. That skoda must have a twin turbo hidden down the back of the engine as earlier mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

I've never seen anything like that before.

Metal cats are the job, don't know why more dont use em tbh, feck payin top dollar for a piece i use once a year for a day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Yeah I read around after I posted it and yes I does seem possible.

Similar topic but there's a 151 1.8 tsi 180bhp Octavia on donedeal that has tickled my fancy in a weird way. Looks no different to an average model but with some tuning could be a cool sleeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Yeah I read around after I posted it and yes I does seem possible.

Similar topic but there's a 151 1.8 tsi 180bhp Octavia on donedeal that has tickled my fancy in a weird way. Looks no different to an average model but with some tuning could be a cool sleeper.

Bookies at the Newtown house does very good business, as does the one beside the Goblet etc. I’d say it’d do well at Campions, it was the one thing I thought was missing! I’d imagine it’s going in where the green/yellow headstone shop is maybe?

Bookies at the Newtown house does very good business, as does the one beside the Goblet etc. I’d say it’d do well at Campions, it was the one thing I thought was missing! I’d imagine it’s going in where the green/yellow headstone shop is maybe?

Lol, wrong thread! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You could get that sort of bhp but your beyond a Stage 1 ECU remap, your into hardware upgrades, etc which can be expensive. If it is indeed at that sort of bhp I wonder how a stock Octavia would handle that power through the front wheels? Were the brakes upgraded also?

Gents, has anyone bought fitted rubber floor mats from somewhere they could recommend? I want a set for an 07 Civic, and the driver's footwell is a bit of an awkward shape

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Gents, has anyone bought fitted rubber floor mats from somewhere they could recommend? I want a set for an 07 Civic, and the driver's footwell is a bit of an awkward shape

There are OEM one's here that I have bought! But I have to fit them yet!

https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda/honda-civic-5dr/2006-2011-civic-5dr/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement