Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Wailin

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Hmmm...

Maybe I'm just defending my own position because it's too early (expensive) for me to move to a g series, but does new car tech really make things much better, and are the interiors better or just newer and flashier.

It's a bit more than upgraded tech in fairness. The new G20 chassis is 25% stiffer and has class leading handling because of it, lighter than previous model but bigger all round. Interior may be "flashier" but streets ahead of previous model. All in all, it's an improvement on the F30 in every department and is actually the one car that can persuade me from the 5 series. Every review I've seen has lauded the cars handling and it trumps any rival in that department hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

bazz26 wrote: »
    You looking for yourself or somebody else?

For myself but not here. I wanted to check one out if possible before I go and had a free hour. I didnt drive it, just had a look and was chatting to the salesman who I now realise was actually dealer principal.

Augeo wrote: »
    What engine was in the 161 you viewed? 220 presumably?
    Whatever he tried to tell you about other available engines is immaterial really.
    Fair enough....you know more then him about the engine range.... :)

It was more of an informal chat really, I was only browsing for myself and he came out to me. Got talking about the car and it came up about engine sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭carsfan2

For myself but not here. I wanted to check one out if possible before I go and had a free hour. I didnt drive it, just had a look and was chatting to the salesman who I now realise was actually dealer principal.

Was this in the limerick dealership?

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Was this in the limerick dealership?

Correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,414 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Had a bad experience with them a few years ago too (if it’s the place I think it is)
    Don’t know how anyone buys off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Old diesel

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Called into my local Mercedes dealer to look at a CLS. He tried to tell me the CLS only came in a 220 engine and the there was no such engine as the twin turbo 250d. How are Irish dealers so clueless?

There's a lot of salespeople out there who know nothing about cars or the models in general but when you find one who knows there stuff, as a car person, it's great.

You would have to ask - why be a salesperson if you aren't willing to build up your knowledge of what you are selling.....

Madness really.

Mind you - for the majority of customers it's probably not a big deal - they want a 1.6 diesel crossover and the sales staff probably know "enough" about them to sell to Mary who isn't really into cars and just wants a red Tucson.

The lack of knowledge only shows up when you have to sell to a car guy or rather his friend.

And nine times out of 10 - the friend will just ignore what the car guy says about the salesman been clueless and buy the car anyway*.

*assuming the car and deal itself is fine and the only issue is the salesman's "lack of knowledge.

I’d say it’s long long time since that garage owner knew (if he ever did)the intricacies of the Mercedes model range.

Bmw now have separate staff called product geniuses that are supposed to be clued up on all aspects of the cars. The sales men are then left to do the selling and the numbers. Apparently the range and models are so varied the sales staff cannot do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Had a bad experience with them a few years ago too (if it’s the place I think it is)
    Don’t know how anyone buys off them.

We bought from one of their other franchises but I don't think we'll be back due to some stupid mess ups.

CIP4 wrote: »
    In the working world in general whatever job you do you are payed to have a good understanding of the area your working in and all things related Which allows you to do your job to a good standard.

The chap in question is paid to hit his targets, as he's the dealer principle / owner he must be doing something right :)

• Advertisement

What annoys me is the disinterest shown when you do go in there, I hate being made feel like I'm a timewaster. Take the local BMW dealer in Limerick, we priced a 1 series there and got no follow up and a total apathetic attitude so we bought in Kerry instead.The 1er went in for a tiny issue which required a call for BMW recovery and seeing as Limerick were the nearest dealer, that's where it had to go. Herself fielded 2 years of phone calls asking when she was going to trade it back in as she had bought it in Limerick according to themselvs which was total bull. They even asked was she sure she bought it in Kerry. The dealer in Kerry, who are known to us personally to be fair I must add, made the whole thing feel special. Net result, 5 cars purchased across the extended family in a 2 year period. I had the same experience in BMW Cork where I was told I couldn't drive a car they had in stock even though I drove a 4 year old at the time 3 series in the gate to trade. When I got the follow up call I gave it to them through the two eyes.

I think both the BMW and Mercedes dealers in limerick are doing ok because locals seem happy to buy from them as they are local. I’ve spoken to plenty of people that don’t bother to Travel when buying and take the deal offered in the local garage. Car buying to most people is not a pleasurable experience and lots of the time people take the deal on offer locally as they won’t travel to save a few bob.

Two weeks ago Corolla fails NCT.....

Not much on done deal.

Yesterday it PASSED.

Come on boards and first thing I see is an apparently immaculate Maxima in bangernomics thread.

How does that happen.....

And is it just me thats noticed how when you don't need a car the place (as in done deal, Carzone, car market in general) is full of nice potential cars.

But when you think you need one there is nothing there.

Especially when you want a cheapish thing.

Currently consoling myself with the following......

1) Maximas are crap really right?????*

2) I probably didnt have time to go to Dublin today anyway.

*studies some 2002 road test by someone judging it as a relatively expensive car that will lose money faster then David Drumm at 2008 Anglo Irish Bank

OSI wrote: »
    Jesus, that 2002 road test had some serious Nostradamus **** going on :eek:

I was just thinking of what a typical Maxima road test would have said when the cars were new - ie not a great car for the list price and vs 5 series and added some David Drumm effect to reflect the depreciation from new.

Wasn't literally looking at a 2002 Maxima road test. I remember them and tbh at this age you just look at a Maxima as a nice car or not based on what you expect a car for under 2 k to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,414 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

An e39 520i was 30% more than a Maxima to buy though, and a Maxima wasn’t exactly cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Sure the Maxima might have been broadly in the same segment as a 5 series, but I doubt there was much competition between them realistically. Up against the Maxima was the Camry and Xedeos etc

Ronnie Drew has a succession of Maximas in the 90s and 00s! (Useless trivia)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

colm_mcm wrote: »
    An e39 520i was 30% more than a Maxima to buy though, and a Maxima wasn’t exactly cheap.

Jaysus use to love driving them around when I was 17..... The purr...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Question for you gents,

I bought a rake of stuff off micks garage, got a confirmation email etc but will I get a proper invoice with the parts?

I know a micksgarage receipt of all things doesn’t account for much in a history file but I’d like to have it there anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Question for you gents,

I bought a rake of stuff off micks garage, got a confirmation email etc but will I get a proper invoice with the parts?

I know a micksgarage receipt of all things doesn’t account for much in a history file but I’d like to have it there anyway

PM me your order number, I'm working here atm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Sitting in the airport waiting on my flight back in Germany at Nürburg since Friday what a trip. The track is absolutely class and unbelievable to drive around. Only booked to drive around it for two laps in a Clio 197 but ended up doing a lot more between the Clio 197 and a new model Polo GTI the polo was nicer inside, quicker and more modern but the Clio was serious to handle on the track completely showed up the Polo.

All I know is I’ll be out at this track at least once a year going forward. Now to go home and buy something proper fast to bring out here the next time lucky I didn’t buy the Arteon a few weeks ago.

Anyone thinking about going out just do it but just don’t try do it on the cheap as getting the cars to drive around in and taxi laps make the trip and are worth every penny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Sitting in the airport waiting on my flight back in Germany at Nürburg since Friday what a trip. The track is absolutely class and unbelievable to drive around. Only booked to drive around it for two laps in a Clio 197 but ended up doing a lot more between the Clio 197 and a new model Polo GTI the polo was nicer inside, quicker and more modern but the Clio was serious to handle on the track completely showed up the Polo.

All I know is I’ll be out at this track at least once a year going forward. Now to go home and buy something proper fast to bring out here the next time lucky I didn’t buy the Arteon a few weeks ago.

Anyone thinking about going out just do it but just don’t try do it on the cheap as getting the cars to drive around in and taxi laps make the trip and are worth every penny.

It's some spot been there a few times the best bang for buck is driving your own car around it, you might not push it as hard as a ring rental but there's something cool about driving to work a few days later in a car you took around the green hell (and managed to get it home in one piece)

Question for you gents,

I used email them asking for a VAT receipt when bought stuff off them.
    By default they don't send/issue a receipt iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

tossy wrote: »
    It's some spot been there a few times the best bang for buck is driving your own car around it, you might not push it as hard as a ring rental but there's something cool about driving to work a few days later in a car you took around the green hell (and managed to get it home in one piece)

Yes that would be the plan would love to get something sportier and drive it out and even just to bring your car out and get the photos on the track would be class. Ah I have been on the fence for months over what kind of a car to get but this trip has cleared it up for me I will be long enough driving normal cars.

Yes that would be the plan would love to get something sportier and drive it out and even just to bring your car out and get the photos on the track would be class. Ah I have been on the fence for months over what kind of a car to get but this trip has cleared it up for me I will be long enough driving normal cars.

Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

You think smaller sportier cars have grown on you now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

I was talking to a ol guy the day after getting a new to him car, asked where his other car was, he traded it in,

A mk 1 TT, had it for almost 19 years bought it new, one owner, (how rare is that,) needed a bit of work doing, so traded it in,

selous wrote: »
    I was talking to a ol guy the day after getting a new to him car, asked where his other car was, he traded it in,

A mk 1 TT, had it for almost 19 years bought it new, one owner, (how rare is that,) needed a bit of work doing, so traded it in,

What did he replace it with ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

OSI wrote: »
    CIP4 to shock us all and buy a 911 GT3 RS?

I'd say a 5.0 v8 mustang. I miss the two I rented last year :(

Dodge Charger R/T 5.7 wasn't bad either but I preferred the mustang

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

https://www.thejournal.ie/government-launches-climate-action-plan-4685933-Jun2019/?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

Both petrol and diesel cars off the menu in 11 years..

11 years ? Weird...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,163 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Already a seperate thread started on it:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057989287

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement