Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Patrick street is bus only from Thursday 9th August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭beer enigma

https://twitter.com/CorkParking/status/1084820984635498496?s=19

Free parking in North Main and Paul Street 2pm to 5pm Monday to Friday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Magnatu

But that's what the Council want. Less cars usage in the city center, improve bus times, and get people using public transport. Enticing extra traffic into the city center during the time when the main artery through the city is closed to cars, just makes no sense if buses end up behind additional traffic on the other routes.

In addition in order to avail of the free parking even more cars will drive through the pedestrian priority zones of cornmarket street and Paul street. It will also increase the volume of private cars driving through Patrick Street durning the ban hours.

There seems to be two separate factions in city hall will conflicting and contradictory agendas. The group that wants to increase volume of cars driving through the city centre seems to have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

But that's what the Council want. Less cars usage in the city center, improve bus times, and get people using public transport. Enticing extra traffic into the city center during the time when the main artery through the city is closed to cars, just makes no sense if buses end up behind additional traffic on the other routes.

Clearly it's to placate the traders/CBA who have no interest in customers unless they are in cars. If you get the bus or walk into town the traders have no time for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Clearly it's to placate the traders/CBA who have no interest in customers unless they are in cars. If you get the bus or walk into town the traders have no time for you.[/QU

What difference does it make to a trader as to how a customer arrives at their premises ?

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Clearly it's to placate the traders/CBA who have no interest in customers unless they are in cars. If you get the bus or walk into town the traders have no time for you.
    What difference does it make to a trader as to how a customer arrives at their premises ?

CBA has always maintained that cars bring business and they see no correlation between a pleasant pedestrian experience and people giving them more money. And as everyone knows the only reason for a city centre is shopping.
    They have already won the battle to have cars driving through Patrick Street during ban hours.
    Having free parking in carparks on North of city will reinforce their agenda as it will inevitably lead to an increase in cars driving through Patrick Street and the pedestrian priority zones.
    This will further erode the pedestrian city center experience which they see as a positive..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Magnatu wrote: »
    In addition in order to avail of the free parking even more cars will drive through the pedestrian priority zones of cornmarket street and Paul street.

I don't get this. I've never driven on those streets to park in Paul Street, for example - the car park entrance is on the other side on Lavitt's Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

The CBA are following a strategy that will probably cause the decline of the city centre. They are trying to compete with suburban shopping locations such as Wilton, Ballincollig, and Mahon Point; locations which are designed to facilitate the motor car with their large free car parks, easier access to the National Roads network, and a weather free shopping experience. The city centre is facing an uphill battle by trying to attract motorists as it does not have the infrastructure to cater for them.

The one major advantage the CBA has is the fact that it is connected to all parts of the city, suburbs, and satellite towns by public transport. In contrast, all of the suburban shopping locations have very poor public transport access. Yet the CBA is doing it's best to disrupt the very system which, if developed properly, could divert a massive amount of footfall away from the suburban mall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I don't get this. I've never driven on those streets to park in Paul Street, for example - the car park entrance is on the other side on Lavitt's Quay.
    Turning right from Cornmarket St. onto Lavitt's Quay makes sense coming from the Sullivan's Quay direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Being anywhere near Sullivan's Quay makes no sense if you're trying to get to Lavitt's Quay! And I say this as someone who has been living on the southside for 6+ years. I think I've driven on Cornmarket St. once, and that was a mistake.

Is the reality that people who end up driving on Oliver Plunkett St. and Patrick St. in the middle of the day have absolutely no sense of direction, and terrible navigational skills?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Being anywhere near Sullivan's Quay makes no sense if you're trying to get to Lavitt's Quay! And I say this as someone who has been living on the southside for 6+ years. I think I've driven on Cornmarket St. once, and that was a mistake.

Is the reality that people who end up driving on Oliver Plunkett St. and Patrick St. in the middle of the day have absolutely no sense of direction, and terrible navigational skills?

I think you must be right!

I drive in and out of town quite a bit, but in 20 years or so, there would have been very occasions I've ever had a need to drive the street you mention.

I think it's a mixture of terrible navigational skills and absolute laziness. It's the same sort of person that you'd see blocking a petrol station forecourt by parking as close to the shop door as possible, rather than park out of the way and have to walk the 20 metres to the door. That type of idiot.

• Advertisement

Not saying I use Google Maps to get there but it is literally the most direct route from a lot of the Southside.

drfrpi.jpg

It is. And it will be used. Cars are also now turning right onto Paul Street after driving through Daunt Square.
    If you had to come up with a cunning plan to totally destroy the pedestrian priority zone by increasing the volume of cars driving through it there is two things that you could do.

1. Allow cars to illegally use the Washington Street bus lane during ban hours to turn left on to Daunts Square and Patrick Street.
    2. Provide free parking on Lavitt's Quay.

Looks like the zealots of the CBA are now in charge and calling the shots.

Ted Tynan calling for free public transport.
    CBA demanding free city center parking and no enforcement of restrictions on cars driving through pedestrian zones.

CBA wins the day.

Councillor Ted Tynan (Workers’ Party) has received the backing of his fellow councillors to call on the Government to introduce a pilot scheme of free bus transport throughout the city.

Mr Tynan said free public transportation in the city would reduce the number of cars causing traffic congestion.

“There are far too many private cars entering the city centre. Something needs to be done about it and we have an opportunity, with the increased Bus Éireann services, that we would call on the Government, as a pilot scheme, to introduce free bus services in Cork,” he said.

“It has been a huge success in other countries. I think this is a solution to a healthy city. People would be more likely to jump on the bus to get to the city centre and leave their cars at home,” he added.

Tim Brosnan (FF) said: “I support it fully and I think there would be nobody bringing cars into the city, if there were free buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

As ridiculous as it sounds at first, it may just work. It's worked well in other countries.

Would love to give it a go. Cheaper to drive in and pay for parking for two hours than to get two return journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭cgcsb

In cities where the public transport fare is 0, they've carried out studies that showed that the cost of collecting fares coupled with the disincentive to passengers accrued to pay fares meant that collecting fares was a net economic loss for the City. A similar analysis would have to be done for Cork. Generally speaking the larger the City is, the less this is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Magnatu wrote: »
    CBA demanding no enforcement of restrictions on cars driving through pedestrian zones.

CBA wins the day.

.[/COLOR]

Can you provide any evidence to back this up?

As ridiculous as it sounds at first, it may just work. It's worked well in other countries.

Not everywhere. The town of Hasselt in Belgium scrapped fare free buses in 2013 after nearly 16 years due to the cost. It was simply unsustainable to collect no fares while still having all the costs associated with operating a modern transport system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Can you provide any evidence to back this up?
    Don't waste your time. His tin foil hat is too tightly fitted to actual provide any evidence of his conspiracy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Harika

cgcsb wrote: »
    In cities where the public transport fare is 0, they've carried out studies that showed that the cost of collecting fares coupled with the disincentive to passengers accrued to pay fares meant that collecting fares was a net economic loss for the City. A similar analysis would have to be done for Cork. Generally speaking the larger the City is, the less this is true.

Vienna sells an one year annual pass for 365 euro, covering the core area. That's a really good deal, compared to 855 euros in Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Would love to give it a go. Cheaper to drive in and pay for parking for two hours than to get two return journeys.

The bus costs €1.68 single or €3.36 return in the city. How is that more expensive than paying for two hours parking, fuel and wear & tear on the car? The issue isn't price its the reliability of the buses that's the issue.

The bus costs €1.68 single or €3.36 return in the city. How is that more expensive than paying for two hours parking, fuel and wear & tear on the car? The issue isn't price its the reliability of the buses that's the issue.
    It wasn't incredibly clear but I said return tickets for two meaning two people. Fuel and wear and tear realistically won't come to much over such a short distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Harika

It wasn't incredibly clear but I said return tickets for two meaning two people. Fuel and wear and tear realistically won't come to much over such a short distance.

Depends how long you are staying. Parking is 5 euros for three hours. At four hours you clearly brake even.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

You know it costs money to own a car as well?

timmyjimmy wrote: »

Car owners tend to be fully aware of that, esp when they mention it in their comment.

Harika wrote: »
    Depends how long you are staying. Parking is 5 euros for three hours. At four hours you clearly brake even.
    More value the longer you're there when getting the bus all right, but personally any more than a couple of hours shopping and I start to go loopy.
    I do indeed, but that's only relevant to someone deciding to buy/keep a car or not. Irrelevant to those of us paying those costs regardless.

Most people have access to a car, we're not going in the direction of a carless society quite yet. The best you can hope for in the short term is to encourage people to leave the car at home more often.

Also if you are actually doing a bit of shopping (as opposed to just browsing around) the bus isn’t practical imo. What are you going to do with your bags of stuff? Drag them around all day, adding more bags as you go and that’s not even considering wanting to do some food shopping along the way.

With the car you can pop back and put stuff into it if needs be etc leaving you have a much nicer and more relaxed time around town.

There seems to be this belief that going to town must involve shopping like it's a giant shopping centre. I love going to town for something to eat, grab a coffee, browse and pick up a book or something. Not go on some big mad shopping adventure every time you go in. The city has so much more to offer than shopping centres. If you just want to do just shopping better off going to Mahon or one of the other out of town places.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Car owners tend to be fully aware of that, esp when they mention it in their comment.

Wear and tear is a separate cost to actually owning and paying for a car.

• Advertisement

Wear and tear is a separate cost to actually owning and paying for a car.
    You're not educating anyone with that information, car owners are aware of that, and it was mentioned.

Advertisement